Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Maybe it'll be something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EciK8cNJ2xc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Also who was it said that Saigo's training was super hard? I didn't do it the first time, but Jesus, it took me like 30 minutes to do every one of them. :confused:

You're doing it on a Clear Save, leveled up, right? I had a hard time with them on my first playthrough on Hard when I was only level 4 or so.

Continuing my trophy clean up, I just finished all the substories last night and beat Amon. Now, THAT is a tough fight. Worth the gold trophy. Still working on that drat pachinko trophy, might just cheese it on a Clear Save with the two Get-Rich-Quick cards. I did manage to get the Seven Pairs in mahjong though, so that's one less headache.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Static Rook posted:

Continuing my trophy clean up, I just finished all the substories last night and beat Amon. Now, THAT is a tough fight.

You can trivialize it by stocking everyone to the gills with HEAT items, but I guess that wouldn't be fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Static Rook posted:

You're doing it on a Clear Save, leveled up, right? I had a hard time with them on my first playthrough on Hard when I was only level 4 or so.

Nope, but I am playing on Normal.

Still, all his training amounts to is "bring healing items".

Also somehow it took me four tries to remember how to beat Kiryu with Saejima, even though I did it on my first try the first time. drat it.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
A really cool guy on the Sega forums translated the pages describing the battle system

quote:

New Battle System

The concept of "Anyone can do it, it's simple, it's cool!", which is a feature of battles in the Ryu ga Gotoku series, is still present, but the fundamentals of the system have had a complete reform! Not just the attack and movement animations of the existing characters, but also the AI and the battle staging have been completely redesigned from scratch. The protagonists' engage in dynamic and realistic battles with plenty of emphasis on each character's idiosyncrasies.

The strategic and exhilarating new battle system has content which can be enjoyed by everyone who plays this game - both those who have played previous games in the series and those who are playing a Ryu ga Gotoku game for the first time.

In addition, this game introduces a new "Ultimate Technique" system - an exciting evolution to the battle system. "Ultimate Technique" is a powerful attack, unique to each character, which can be unleashed in battle when specific conditions are met. It overwhelms enemies and is easy to use, making "Ultimate Technique" a powerful weapon for the protagonists' in these new battles.

Kiryu Kazuma
Do not anger this man...

Kiryu's toughness, which earned him the name of "Dragon of Dojima", is still present in this game. He is an all-round fighter who knows a wide variety of techniques and has unyielding strength, no matter how many enemies he comes up against. The whole host of new techniques, as well as many familiar techniques from the series, he learns will get him out of all kinds of sticky situations.

Ultimate Technique - Pride of the Angry Dragon

Kiryu's Special Heat is "Pride of the Angry Dragon", which releases all his built up anger. He thrusts himself into the face of an enemy attack and beats them down with an unforgiving and overwhelming attack. He is able to strike with many violent techniques with no holding back, as he takes out his anger on an opponent.

Saejima Taiga
This man with unrivalled, superhuman strength is even more violent!

Saejima's overwhelming superhuman strength, which crushes anything in his path, is more refined. In addition to dealing a crushing blow with built up power, he can now beat down opponents with powerful charges and throws.

Ultimate Technique - Knowledge of the Ferocious Tiger

Making the most of his absolute superhuman strength, Saejima is able to use any object as a weapon. He can rip up the likes of signposts or other huge equipment set up on the streets and can beat down an opponent with the use of many special attacks, or by swinging it around as a weapon against the enemies in front of him.

Akiyama Shun
The Speed Star Soars!

Akiyama is skilled with his agile feet, with which he can turn on a dime. With his bombardment of hits, he doesn't even leave himself open to counterattack opportunities. He certainly lives up to his name of "Speed Star" when he makes sport of his enemies with his movement. He has a wide variety of consecutive strikes with which he gracefully crushes his opponents, coupled with a unique side of him as demonstrated by his characteristic taunt.

Ultimate Technique - Air Strike

Putting both his agility and footwork to good use, Akiyama attacks with an acrobatic air strike. He launches an opponent into the air with a powerful kick, then proceeds to unleash a graceful kick combo attack. He can play around with an opponent who falls back down with more attacks that will once again send him into the air.

Shinada Tatsuo
I don't care about doing it in style; I'll win MY way!

The new protagonist Shinada's style of fighting - "Do absolutely anything it takes to win" - Is different to that of the other characters. If he has a weapon he will naturally put it to use, and he has a wide variety of techniques, that are by no means graceful, used to recklessly wrestle enemies when he fights bare-handed.

Bare-Hand Fighting

Shinada, the former baseball player, has both power and the ability to judge the exact moment to take advantage of opponent's weakness. If Shinada gets hold of an enemy, he can attack consecutively without ever releasing him. He can unleash a consecutive series of attacks - He can smash an opponent into a wall, then ram into him, then smash him into the ground. After that, he can once again smash the opponent into the wall.

In addition, he can attack with a sliding leg sweep, which is a characteristic move of a baseball player.

Weapon Fighting

The policy of a baseball player is to handle one's gear with care. When Shinada has a weapon, its real power is shown. Shinada can use a weapon for a significantly longer time than the other characters and can attack with extraordinarily powerful strikes to bring out the maximum potential of these weapons. Among these weapons, there are some he can continue to use without ever breaking them.

On top of that, the real power of a weapon is shown by Shinada when he holds a cylindrical weapon in particular. One can clearly see that he is a slugger when he blows his enemies away with powerful swing attacks

Ultimate Technique - "My Way" Meteor Tackle

Shinada strikes opponents with a powerful tackle attack using all his strength. After grappling with enemies, he can use various attacks such as smashing enemies into a wall, smashing them into the ground, and throwing them around with all his strength. He can unleash various techniques with the press of a single button, dependent on the timing.

Heat Actions

Heat Actions, which have made battles more exciting throughout the series, have undergone a major evolution in this game. The force of these overwhelming techniques are still here, but the way they are handled is different; they no longer affect the flow of battle. There has been a drastic increase in variety of techniques - ranging from powerful attacks to comical attacks. Each character starts with techniques typifying their own battle styles, as well as gaining new heat actions from their local area.

Climax Heat
Bring out the big guns with an attack that turns the tables!

Climax Heat is a newly added aspect of battle. It is an attack which boasts a huge amount of power and can pave the way to victory in a fight. Unlike regular heat actions, this is a technique which can completely turn the tide of a battle and is used when special conditions are met. The attack is extremely flashy and the power varies with button input.

Revelations
Drastic power-up and with its own storyline!

Revelations, a popular feature of the series, are back in this game. All the protagonists, including Haruka, can learn a new technique by witnessing events around the city. Acquiring revelations has been dramatically improved with the inclusion of its own story, which one can enjoy in the same way that one would enjoy any other substory. In addition to this, the characters are now able to suddenly have revelations in battle to gain new techniques.

Battle Staging

Seemless Battle

All battles, from fights with random guys on the street to boss fights, now utilise a seemless system. The game now goes straight into battle directly, with no break in the flow at all, from an event leading to battle or an incident on the streets. Even storyline boss battles flow directly from story to battle and you can enjoy the greatest abundance of scenarios ever seen in the series.

The fundamentals have been upgraded

The reaction towards an enemy's or protagonist's actions have evolved; there will be enemies who run away in reaction to one of your powerful techniques, and there will be enemies who rouse themselves. Also, enemies will do things like team up on you, or call for more companions. The variety in battle has been dramatically improved. There are enemies beyond imagination and a battle scale never before seen in the series

Dance Battle

Haruka competes in dance battles as part of her training for Princess League. There are dancers waiting for an opponent to compete with in various places around Soutenbori, to whom you can issue a dance battle challenge by talking to them. Each dancer has their own genre speciality. The genres of music are hip-Hop, house, idol, jazz and rock.

"Dance Battle" System

This is a rhythm game in which you are required to time button presses with the corresponding buttons that stream along the four frames arranged on the screen (Above, Below, Left, Right). The frames can be moved freely by the player and you get a successful input when the selected frame and button timing match up, which directly brings out a flashy action from the character. There is a "Judging" component which reflects the audience appraisal of the dancer. Judging is determined by the content of the dance and a dancer who receives negative appraisal will feel great pressure and lose health. When all health is lost, you cannot continue the dance battle and are defeated.

Turn the tables with "Dance Heat"

Heat actions can be used in Haruka's dance battles, featuring both showy and cute techniques. Like with the other characters, when the heat gauge reaches a certain amount, you can use a heat technique at any time you like. You can select which dance heat actions Haruka can use before a battle. They exhibit great effectiveness that can completely turn things around for you when in an unfavourable situation.

Improving "Power of Expression"

When she wins a dance battle, one of Haruka's "Power of Expression" idol abilities can be improved. "Power of Expression" is essential for victory in the Princess League.
Do not anger this man, indeed. :stare:

There are revelations for Haruka. Oh what could they be... :allears:

Also, there was a private video trailer played to a small crowd. :arghfist::(
A few pics from the trailer are found here.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I need this game now. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I played through the whole game of 4 the first time without realizing that Saejima could pick up enemies. I don't know how, either, since it's the basis for like half his attacks.

edit: I love that Akiyama is still rockin' the magenta pimp jacket. :allears:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

quote:

Kiryu Kazuma
Do not anger this man...

That's gotta be a thread title.

Different dance styles! :neckbeard:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Is it wrong that right this moment the thing about this game that excites me most is the dance battles?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bocc Kob posted:

That's gotta be a thread title.

Different dance styles! :neckbeard:

Since one of the dance battle genres is "hip-hop", if breakdancing is not involved I will be so pissed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, the fighters don't get different fighting styles (unless they're bringing in the thing from Kurohyo or something) but Haruka gets different dancing styles. Haruka wins.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kiryu and Majima play Yakuza 1 & 2 HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ie7MWOX2jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwU7DrYKriI

And here's something about Yakuza 5's new "Zetsugi" system

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Voice actors playing their own game characters will never not be completely weird and totally awesome. :allears:

It's kind of jarring to see a sort of regular guy sitting there and the Kiryu voice coming out all the time. They were really into shopping at Don Quixote.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm listening to "For Faith" again, and I still have no idea what the hell the lyrics are supposed to be. Something something selfless thing something.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What are ya, deaf? Its clearly "MLU MLU MLU MLAAAA, MLU MLA MLA MLAAAAAAAAA! MLU MLU MLAAAA, MLA MLAAAAAA!!!"

Edit: This is cool. Its all 4 of the boss fight arrangements of the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrTJqDu6FI

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 6, 2012

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Egomaniac posted:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the whole "GTA-clone" image came from Sega's marketing for the first game's western release. They thought that would have more appeal or something. So naturally the series was hamstring in the west on Day One because the people who bought it were mostly disappointed GTA fans and the people who actually would've loved it stayed away thinking it wasn't for them.

Well it just needs the ability to beat up civies for money and outside of OF THE END, allow you to actually kill petty thugs rather than "beaten to a pulp". GTA's other appeal is always the fact you can vent your anger to the apathetic and materialistic citizens who didn't expect to shoot them.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

gyrobot posted:

Well it just needs the ability to beat up civies for money and outside of OF THE END, allow you to actually kill petty thugs rather than "beaten to a pulp". GTA's other appeal is always the fact you can vent your anger to the apathetic and materialistic citizens who didn't expect to shoot them.

I specifically like that Yakuza does not allow this. It's nice to play an open world type of game where you're not a psychopath for once. It would be horribly out of character to let you murder innocent people for being "materialistic."

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 7, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Yeah. I always hope that GTA will wind up offering some kind of silver lining, but the player characters are generally such nasty people that it's turned me off to the series completely. I'll take a corny white knight any day.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gyrobot posted:

What's crazy is in Kenzan, even people you stab over and over again with your sword via a heat action are still alive afterwards to learn their manly lesson.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqX-eW3HF5o

Such a good game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 7, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's crazy is in Kenzan, even people you stab over and over again with your sword via a heat action are still alive afterwards to learn their manly lesson.

Still a damned crime we never will get Kenzan localized here. I understand why, but still...

There's just nothing quite like Yakuza. :(

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I picked up Way of the Samurai 4, but it's really nothing like Kenzan. The sense of jumping into a Yakuza-style battle and immediately being as awesome as Musashi is totally absent, of course I suck at reading so I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing but Kenzan would let you get away with that and still destroy everything.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Captain Walker posted:

I picked up Way of the Samurai 4, but it's really nothing like Kenzan. The sense of jumping into a Yakuza-style battle and immediately being as awesome as Musashi is totally absent, of course I suck at reading so I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing but Kenzan would let you get away with that and still destroy everything.

Why would you expect WotS4 to be like Kenzan?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Coughing Hobo posted:

Why would you expect WotS4 to be like Kenzan?

I saw samurai and I just assumed it would be similar. Ignore me I'm an idiot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also the Way of the Samurai series pre-dates the Yakuza series considerably.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Surlaw posted:

I specifically like that Yakuza does not allow this. It's nice to play an open world type of game where you're not a psychopath for once. It would be horribly out of character to let you murder innocent people for being "materialistic."

What I meant by materialistic is that the pedestrians in GTA are totally unlikable. None of them are genuine good people who tries to make their life better for others but consist of the following:

-Pretentious upper class who treats theft as dropping a penny on the ground. Rarely do you see an average joe who is just trying to earn enough money for necessities.
-Destitute drunks and addicts who does little to improve their social status
-The law enforcement who is corrupt at best and trigger happy at worst.

Most of all, the peds in GTA are extremely rude and impolite.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's some more info about dance battling here, you can machine translate it if you want but the main points are

- Five styles of dancing, hiphop, house, idol, jazz, rock (for your opponents anyway, I assume that means Haruka will match them?)

- Push the buttons really good to win

- Due to bystander's judgements, your hp will go up or down, if it goes down all the way you lose

- Win dance battles to raise your "expressiveness", one of the necessary parameters for the idol contest

- Haruka's dance heat actions = do cute things (not like the male main characters' heat actions which are not very cute)

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 14, 2012

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Man, I reeeeeeeeeally wish I hadn't put off getting all the hostess-related trophies in Yakuza 4. This is some tedious poo poo. I finally got the second hostess up to #1 in Hostess Maker, so just one 1 more to go. Then I have to get their cards/go on a date/have them wear an item and I'll be done with the creepy side of the game. I better not miss the Fashionista trophy or I'll be pissed...then sad.

Very glad this stuff is gone for 5. I'll take dance battles over hostess training any day (not that the two are equivalent, just in general).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Static Rook posted:

Man, I reeeeeeeeeally wish I hadn't put off getting all the hostess-related trophies in Yakuza 4. This is some tedious poo poo. I finally got the second hostess up to #1 in Hostess Maker, so just one 1 more to go. Then I have to get their cards/go on a date/have them wear an item and I'll be done with the creepy side of the game. I better not miss the Fashionista trophy or I'll be pissed...then sad.

Very glad this stuff is gone for 5. I'll take dance battles over hostess training any day (not that the two are equivalent, just in general).
What on earth makes you think hostess stuff is not in 5? That is a core element of the series. And hostess making appears to be the most popular new feature on the PS3 games, I will be shocked if it isn't in 5 as well.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 14, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What on earth makes you think hostess stuff is not in 5? That is a core element of the series. And hostess making appears to be the most popular new feature on the PS3 games.

I don't think he thinks the hostess dates are gone, just Akiyama's Pretty Princess Dressup section. Which I also doubt will be gone because Akiyama's still in the game.

e: In fact, with trying to turn Haruka into an idol and everything, I can imagine her non-dancing segments to be almost exclusively dressup segments.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpacePig posted:

e: In fact, with trying to turn Haruka into an idol and everything, I can imagine her non-dancing segments to be almost exclusively dressup segments.

And it will be awesome.

I didn't find the Hostess Minigame/dating to be very tedious. Dating in particular is easy (order what she likes, answer questions appropriately) and fun (you get to pick the date locations, so do whatever you feel like).

Fighter Maker was more tedious for me, and seemed much more random/frustrating (I didn't use a FAQ, granted).

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

What on earth makes you think hostess stuff is not in 5? That is a core element of the series. And hostess making appears to be the most popular new feature on the PS3 games, I will be shocked if it isn't in 5 as well.

SpacePig posted:

I don't think he thinks the hostess dates are gone, just Akiyama's Pretty Princess Dressup section. Which I also doubt will be gone because Akiyama's still in the game.

Yeah, I'm just hoping the Hostess Maker stuff is gone. The dating part doesn't take too long, and I can do the bare minimum to get the trophy(s) - if there end up being any in 5. Still creepy but not much of a bother. Compared to the training that takes hours. I know I could ignore it but I'm at 77% trophy completion for the game, and I love every other aspect of it including the gambling trophies, so I'm determined to get that drat platinum.

As for why I thought it was gone in 5. I thought all the Another Drama stuff was announced, but I can't find anything on Akiyama so there's a chance training hostesses is still in...I'm hoping for something a little more fun though.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 15, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly, Yakuza has a mix of stuff I enjoy and stuff I don't enjoy too. That's by design, it's a crazy smorgasbord of a game with a little something for everyone. It doesn't bother me because I'm not going for platinum trophy.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I can enjoy anything in Yakuza if they'd just fix the interface. I spent more time navigating menus and waiting for text to show up in the hostess minigame than actually doing anything.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if or when Sega will show a Yakuza 5 trailer at TGS?

Sega's TGS schedule has 4 separate segments on Yakuza 5, and they all sound like interviews only.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The first Yakuza 5 segment is going to start in 30 minutes.

ustream links:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/segatgs2012
http://tgs.sega.jp/2012/sega-studio/ust.html

nico stream, no need to log in: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv106469801

nico has better quality video for now.

1/6 of Sega's booth is just for Yakuza 5.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 20, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Official release date is December 6.

Some video is showing right now!

Dammit, that trailer was too short. Lots of punching and explosions as usual, though.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 20, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I only saw the bit showing off the voice actors.

Glasses guy's half shiny comb-over thing is bugging me. :argh:

Oh, there's more trailer stuff.

Saejima fights a bear with his hands. Of course he does. :allears:

WAS THAT A CHICKEN RACING MINI-GAME?!

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 20, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Another trailer now.

Wow, Kiryu drove between two trucks sideways!

Saejima fighting a bear!

Playable Virtua Fighter game?

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 20, 2012

AKA Bozo
Aug 3, 2004
Also cooking ramen mini-game?
And Virtua Fighter arcade???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How much does a Japanese PS3 game cost at launch, plus the cost of shipping to the US? :ohdear:

Sega shirt lady's super cheerfulness is kind of scary.

• Locked thread