Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Shaocaholica posted:

2)Do any variants of the black Macbook support Mountain Lion?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Those cool flush-mounted MicroSD card thingies are now up for pre-order - shipping in December

https://www.thenifityminidrive.com

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
A couple of questions, I quickly glanced the thread but I would prefer direct answers if anyone could.

I plan on getting whatever the new iMac is when it comes out. My 24" is past its prime and I will unhappily move to a larger than desired 27". That said a few things are troubling me. How decent are the graphics options in the iMacs these days? I am not a heavy gamer, in fact I only play Men or War and World of Tanks with any degree of consistency. Still, I want something that will at least be reasonably decent for the next few years, and I get mixed opinions about the graphics options from googling.

Second, all that in mind I am just considering going back to a macbook, maybe the 15" variant. Considering they both seem to use mobile chipsets is there even a big difference these days? I like the iMacs form factor but if it offer no real extra power outside of just a bigger display I might go for a macbook instead.

I do all my serious work and video editing in OS X while I plod about playing world of tanks on Windows 7. I just want to make sure whatever I get will continue to work well in those respects.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The 15" MacBook Pro and the Retina both use the 650M which is much more powerful than the old card. The iMacs haven't been upgraded yet, so it will be interesting to see what Apple uses for the next refresh.

Here are some benchies comparing the 2012 Retina, 2012 Pro, 2011 Pro
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6037/the-2012-macbook-pro-review/2

You can also check out Youtube and put in "2011 Macbook running Pacman" to see how well it runs.

Ghost Cockfighter
Apr 22, 2007

I'm planning on picking up (read, dropping an ungodly amount of money on) the more powerful incarnation of the 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro within a short period of time.

I've owned and gotten excellent use out of the pre-Unibody 15" MBP and the 2009 (I believe) Unibody 15" MBP over the past however many years, although now my Unibody is on it's last legs and it's time for a new machine.

In the past I'd have never hesitated, but it seems Apple's direction lately has been a bit skewed and I keep hearing a lot of mixed things about the new machines. I'm a design professional and rely on my laptop computer heavily, sometimes in slightly adverse shoot conditions. Can anyone share their experience with the machine so far?

Is it better to be dissuaded and get a late model Unibody or should I take the plunge with the Retina?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Bob Morales posted:

The 15" MacBook Pro and the Retina both use the 650M which is much more powerful than the old card. The iMacs haven't been upgraded yet, so it will be interesting to see what Apple uses for the next refresh.

Here are some benchies comparing the 2012 Retina, 2012 Pro, 2011 Pro
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6037/the-2012-macbook-pro-review/2

You can also check out Youtube and put in "2011 Macbook running Pacman" to see how well it runs.

Thanks, I am on some garbage Radeon 2600 something, so anything will probably seem like an improvement. I have watched some of the videos, and I guess the performance is okay for a laptop. I think either way I am just going to wait for the imac to be announced, soon hopefully. I am really hoping they add some neat new graphics dealer, otherwise I think a macbook will suffice.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Those cool flush-mounted MicroSD card thingies are now up for pre-order - shipping in December

https://www.thenifityminidrive.com

You mispelled it, it's http://theniftyminidrive.com

>> You also forgot to mention you have to provide your own MicroSD card. <<

Google says it's still a Kickstarter program too, looks like a wonderful little thing when it comes out, though. $35 seems a bit much for a flush MicroSD -> SD card adapter to me, though.

Edit 2: MicroSDs top off at 64 GB at the moment, so it's not going to be that much space..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 7, 2012

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Binary Badger posted:

Link provided doesn't exist yet. It still seems to be a Kickstarter program, looks like a wonderful little thing when it comes out, though.

It was typo'd, http://theniftyminidrive.com/ poo poo you fixed it while I was posting

I kinda want one but $35 is expensive for what it is. I think I'm going to stick with my current SD card.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
My friend has (had) a bunch of low value (like around $60) Dell laptops and none of them could do poo poo properly. I just helped him sell them all to afford an early model Core Duo MBP, the model with two fans. The previous owner said that the fans were noisy and slow but everything else was okay, so I'm not worried it isn't just some simple maintenance to get it back up to speed.

In my experience, 90% of the time when people have a MacBook this old and they complain about the fans not working and the heat loving everything up, I take out the fans and they're filled with a solid brick of dust. I'm prepared for this, but wanted to hear from anyone who's worked on these dual-fan Core Duo MBP's. I had one many moons ago and don't think I ever cracked it open.

(i was planning to do what i did to my 2008 aluminum MacBook about a month ago, reduced temps from ~80C idling to 43-35C after cleaning the fans out and redoing thermal grease)

and you can't get a fan for the right side any cheaper than this?

Also because I know I'm going to get someone reading this and thinking "why did this idiot buy a Core Duo" but man it was 180 bucks and it comes with max ram (lol 2GB) and a 7200RPM 500gb drive

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 7, 2012

Kalix
May 8, 2009

x-virge posted:

Keep in mind that things like MagicPrefs and BetterTouchTool completely short-circuit Apple's touch drivers. So scrolling issues like that are more reflective of MagicPrefs than they are of the Magic Mouse and Apple's touch recognizers.

Does BetterTouchTool really screw things up?

I've noticed I've had to restart it every once in a while, but I've had it going since I ever got my Mac.

In fact I thought it was one of the coolest 'features' of a Mac before I had one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kalix posted:

Does BetterTouchTool really screw things up?

I've noticed I've had to restart it every once in a while, but I've had it going since I ever got my Mac.

In fact I thought it was one of the coolest 'features' of a Mac before I had one.
I haven't had massive show stoppers, but did run into a bug where clicks got held, which apparently was a known issue with other apps that use the media keys. Got around that by disabling that in VLC/Mplayer/etc. If you open it up and go to General Settings it should have this little note at the bottom if you have any apps known to conflict:

quote:

These apps may conflict with BetterTouchTool (most likely they will not, but if you have problems try deactivating them):

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

Also because I know I'm going to get someone reading this and thinking "why did this idiot buy a Core Duo" but man it was 180 bucks and it comes with max ram (lol 2GB) and a 7200RPM 500gb drive

I wouldn't buy -any- pre-unibody Pro if it makes you feel better ;)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Rumors of an imminent imac refresh are coming up-- not sure if that sort of thing would actually be shown at WWDC or how reliable it actually is.

e: not at WWDC I'm stupid- at the sept event.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 7, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
A thinner iMac would look sick.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shmoogy posted:

Rumors of an imminent imac refresh are coming up-- not sure if that sort of thing would actually be shown at WWDC or how reliable it actually is.

You talking about next WWDC? Cause we just had WWDC for this year back in June.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

e: not at WWDC I'm stupid- at the sept event.
Probably just a silent refresh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ivy Bridge, USB 3.0, 650M....

Did Apple move to faster SSD's in the MacBook Pro like they did in the Air?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

If it's got SSD as the standard I'm sold.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Bob Morales posted:

I wouldn't buy -any- pre-unibody Pro if it makes you feel better ;)

one pre-unibody Pro is still better than 3 half-working Dells ;)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

one pre-unibody Pro is still better than 3 half-working Dells ;)

Good point.

I really, really wish Apple would make a black Air like Gigabyte X11 and Lenovo X1.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Bob Morales posted:

I really, really wish Apple would make a black Air like Gigabyte X11 and Lenovo X1.

There's always Colorware :rolleyes:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Bob Morales posted:

Good point.

The blackbooks were my favorite MacBooks!

It's unlikely, but I'd love to see a plastic body (rubberized black? one can dream) budget model Air

are these those fools that sell painted iBook G4's for $200 on eBay?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My favorite part of the black macbook is how it ages.

The white plastic models get dirty and lovely looking, and the aluminum ones mostly just get whitish scuff marks. My black macbook looks like it's survived wars.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

xzzy posted:

My favorite part of the black macbook is how it ages.

The white plastic models get dirty and lovely looking, and the aluminum ones mostly just get whitish scuff marks. My black macbook looks like it's survived wars.

agreed - using an old white macbook can feel like putting on someone else's gym gear

the black macbooks, however, don't fare well with grease at all - thankfully i've been able to use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to get all the oil off the touchpad. i just really hated how those plastic touchpads got over time, ended up using a USB trackball on a bunch of them that have been in my possession. metal and glass trackpads were bestowed upon us by the heavens

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

FrenchToasty posted:

If it's got SSD as the standard I'm sold.

I'm hoping for SSD + HDD (in place of optical) as standard. Probably optimistic thinking though.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

If I had tons of money to burn I'd be all over this, no shame.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My father-in-law recently purchased a MacBook Pro (one with a retina display, which he is in love with) and sent me the following link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Retina_2012/

He says he heard of this on some random podcast and is thinking about purchasing it. It seems pretty incredibly overpriced to me, even at 480gb. It's his money (of which he has a lot, and doesn't mind spending) but if I can save him from outright being gouged I'd like to do so. Is there a better and/or cheaper option out there?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

EC posted:

My father-in-law recently purchased a MacBook Pro (one with a retina display, which he is in love with) and sent me the following link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Retina_2012/

He says he heard of this on some random podcast and is thinking about purchasing it. It seems pretty incredibly overpriced to me, even at 480gb. It's his money (of which he has a lot, and doesn't mind spending) but if I can save him from outright being gouged I'd like to do so. Is there a better and/or cheaper option out there?

I'm reasonably sure that that's the only option for aftermarket rMBP solid state drives. I'm planning on buying a 64GB microSD card with that neat flush adapter that Bob Morales linked to to expand my storage - the Aura Pro is too expensive for my tastes.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I would hop on a retina iMac so drat quickly. Less quickly if they simultaneously came out with retina cinema displays.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I'm reasonably sure that that's the only option for aftermarket rMBP solid state drives. I'm planning on buying a 64GB microSD card with that neat flush adapter that Bob Morales linked to to expand my storage - the Aura Pro is too expensive for my tastes.

Ah, I didn't realize it'd be the only one. Thanks for the info! I'll tell him if we wants to spend the money, it's not a bad thing to spend it on.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Retina iMac probably isn't coming for at least a year iirc

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

Retina iMac probably isn't coming for at least a year iirc

Tim did say they were planning something big for the imac/mac pro didn't he? It would definitely be pretty nice, but it'd also be surprising to see anything higher than 1440p (Even though we've heard that with regards to every product prior to retina being confirmed).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

Tim did say they were planning something big for the imac/mac pro didn't he? It would definitely be pretty nice, but it'd also be surprising to see anything higher than 1440p (Even though we've heard that with regards to every product prior to retina being confirmed).
That was about the Mac Pro. They haven't said anything about the iMac iirc besides a correction to NY Times or somewhere about both machines getting an update next year, something to the extent of the next year thing referring only to the Mac Pro. I wouldn't expect anything other than the expected spec bump for the iMac, but who knows. Maybe they'll put 2560x1440 or 1600 into a 24" iMac and call it retina.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

That was about the Mac Pro. They haven't said anything about the iMac iirc besides a correction to NY Times or somewhere about both machines getting an update next year, something to the extent of the next year thing referring only to the Mac Pro. I wouldn't expect anything other than the expected spec bump for the iMac, but who knows. Maybe they'll put 2560x1440 or 1600 into a 24" iMac and call it retina.

Is there a graphics card out there capable of pushing 5120x2880?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I just picked up a new 13" MacBook Air the other day, and I am totally loving it.

The one thing I cannot understand for the life of me is the switch to this MagSafe 2 nonsense. I never had any problems with my two previous MBPs, but with the way this thing sticks out it's just constantly disconnecting. Makes keeping it in my lap or laying down on the couch somewhat frustrating.

Any chance they're going to release the L shaped connectors? I'd jump on one in a heartbeat.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lexicon posted:

I'm hoping for SSD + HDD (in place of optical) as standard. Probably optimistic thinking though.

I would be nice if a 256 SSD + 2TB wasn't $750, which in my estimation is $450 in Apple taxes. I'd would be happy if they had a SSD base of 256 and charged $200 to throw in another 2TB drive. Then again I guess with thunderbolt/USB3 I guess it doesn't matter if the big drive is inside, especially considering it's a desktop machine.

Speaking of buying, I have $2000 coming to me for winning sweepstakes but I won't see the money till late October. Considering the time of year is close to black friday, does Apple ever have any good BF deals? I get a pretty good EPP discount with my company (seems to be slightly better than the edu discount) which I'm guessing isn't stackable. I wasn't planning on getting a new computer until next year so a couple weeks won't kill me.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I can't imagine 3840x2160 (4x 1080p's px) at 21.5" would be so bad on the current higher-end 27" iMac's Radeon 6970M. Let's say in a perfect world performance scales directly, it already does 60% of the job @ 2560x1440.

edit: And if they use an Nvidia solution, you get CS6 CUDA bonuses.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 7, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bob Morales posted:

SLI?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Yarbald posted:

I just picked up a new 13" MacBook Air the other day, and I am totally loving it.

The one thing I cannot understand for the life of me is the switch to this MagSafe 2 nonsense. I never had any problems with my two previous MBPs, but with the way this thing sticks out it's just constantly disconnecting. Makes keeping it in my lap or laying down on the couch somewhat frustrating.

Any chance they're going to release the L shaped connectors? I'd jump on one in a heartbeat.

Apple is capturing data for weak MagSafe 2 adapters, it's a known issue but I don't know if its bad design or quality control. Definitely doesn't happen with every MagSafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Depends on the application, really. I play Dark Souls at 5120x2880 on my GTX 680.