Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

marshmallard posted:

No.

Your list of followers is chronological though (as far as I can see), which might help a bit?

Thanks. That does help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecosomata
Sep 1, 2012
How does one become a dogwalker/in-house dogsitter?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
I hope some Fingoons are reading this. What are the fines like in Finland? I understand that they are a percentage relative to your income so they are fair to people at all levels. Are there extra factors that can play into it, like being a student and still under the support of your parents?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

thecosomata posted:

How does one become a dogwalker/in-house dogsitter?
Start calling yourself a dogwalker.

Get some good references, like your veterinarian or something, and then say references are available.
Put some posters up at the vet, local dog park, animal shelters, etc.
Advertise on Craigslist and make a page on Facebook.

Go to your State's government web site and find out what, if any, business license you need.

You can get insurance that is pretty specific to petwatching too, my friend just said.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I feel like there might be a better place to post this, but it also likely doesn't deserve its own thread. So, here goes:

What in the gently caress is growing in my lawn, and should I do anything about it?

That's a good six inches wide and a foot in length, maybe 4 inches high. Here is a pic of a cluster of more of the same fungi, and here is another shot of the same stuff, but growing on some nearby stones.

I've seen small mushrooms on occasion in our lawn, nothing to be concerned about, but this poo poo is really large, and I worry about it being bad for the grass.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Install Gentoo posted:

The site in general is legit, and most of the vendors on it are too. Before making large orders, you might try ordering the smallest amount of whatever you need from the supplier you're considering. Such that you can check that they send it, and check the quality yourself, before committing to spending a few thousand on the stuff from them.

All right; I've ordered a sample from the supplier and will see how the quality is. It's good to know that most of the vendors are legit; the general layout and tone of the vendor pages made me feel like I was walking into an Identity Theft Ring For Stupids.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

tarepanda posted:

All right; I've ordered a sample from the supplier and will see how the quality is. It's good to know that most of the vendors are legit; the general layout and tone of the vendor pages made me feel like I was walking into an Identity Theft Ring For Stupids.

Its legit. We used them for my old work. A lot of it is chinese made trash. Cheap but often nasty so if you are after quality items you have to more selective. They are often very good at altering things (like printing logos and poo poo on them).

However be prepared for the chinese guy to spam you with emails about ordering stuff once you put an enquiry in. So don't just send an email out for a quote unless you really think you are gonna buy it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In VLC (v2.0) for OSX, I can't seem to resize the detached controls/playlist. I almost never use the playlist feature, yet it just sits there taking up a huge amount of space. Is there any way to make it smaller, or to not see the playlist functionality at all? Or to reattach it to the video when outside of fullscreen mode?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

feedmyleg posted:

In VLC (v2.0) for OSX, I can't seem to resize the detached controls/playlist. I almost never use the playlist feature, yet it just sits there taking up a huge amount of space. Is there any way to make it smaller, or to not see the playlist functionality at all? Or to reattach it to the video when outside of fullscreen mode?

Preferences > Interface > Check the box for "show video within the main window."

That should do it, unless I've misunderstood something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zenostein posted:

Preferences > Interface > Check the box for "show video within the main window."

That should do it, unless I've misunderstood something.

Perfect, thanks! I was looking under the advanced preferences and didn't see it, somehow missed that it was right there.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just sold some U.S. open tickets for tomorrow's game on ebay. The guy bought them last Saturday, I shipped them priority mail the same day and he's claiming no receipt at this point (which I think is plausible because of labor day + his feedback score). Even if they do arrive at this point they're going to be useless. I didn't do delivery confirmation or tracking or anything, so am I screwed? If he files a dispute is ebay going to give him his money back?

Captain Payne fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 7, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Captain Payne posted:

I just sold some U.S. open tickets for tomorrow's game on ebay. The guy bought them last Saturday, I shipped them priority mail the same day and he's claiming no receipt at this point (which I think is plausible because of labor day + his feedback score). Even if they do arrive at this point they're going to be useless. I didn't do delivery confirmation or tracking or anything, so am I screwed? If he files a dispute is ebay going to give him his money back?

With no way to prove you actually sent the tickets, yeah, you're kinda boned here.

Priority mail gave you a tracking number by default I thought?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

FCKGW posted:

With no way to prove you actually sent the tickets, yeah, you're kinda boned here.

Priority mail gave you a tracking number by default I thought?

Priority mail does (within the US). He's probably boned anyways because paypal generally sides with the buyer regardless of proof from what I hear.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

I feel like there might be a better place to post this, but it also likely doesn't deserve its own thread. So, here goes:

What in the gently caress is growing in my lawn, and should I do anything about it?

That's a good six inches wide and a foot in length, maybe 4 inches high. Here is a pic of a cluster of more of the same fungi, and here is another shot of the same stuff, but growing on some nearby stones.

I've seen small mushrooms on occasion in our lawn, nothing to be concerned about, but this poo poo is really large, and I worry about it being bad for the grass.

I don't remember what that's called, but it's not bad for your grass or anything. Just tear it out and don't worry about it.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
In the election news I see polls stating that so and so received a 3 point bump. What is a point, is it basically a fancy way of saying percent?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

A point is a unit of measurement for methamphetamines. What I'm saying is those guys can snort 3 points in a day.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I smacked my fingers on my right hand against a table. There is soreness but no bruising, but they're oddly cold. Colder than my other fingers. It's not a false sensation; they feel cold when I touch them to my face. I placed them under hot water, and they still feel cold. How does this happen?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 7, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Bruising is indicative of internal bleeding, which by nature can cause reduced/deficient circulation, which makes that particular extremity cold if circulation sucks.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Is 'hella' a curse word?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

a 16 year old girl posted:

Is 'hella' a curse word?

Depends on the company. If they consider 'hell' a curse word, most likely.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

a 16 year old girl posted:

Is 'hella' a curse word?

"Hella" is included on the list of words no one should ever use, so yeah, it's a curse word.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Hella is a unit of measurement in California.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
You know how sometimes you're super tired so you go to bed and as soon as your head hits the pillow you're wide awake? Is there a word for that?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Street Soldier posted:

You know how sometimes you're super tired so you go to bed and as soon as your head hits the pillow you're wide awake? Is there a word for that?

Maybe "dropping straight into REM due to lack of sleep and then not dreaming"?

Edit: Oh, I thought you meant the perception that you didn't sleep at all when in reality you had slept a fair amount of time.

dirby fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 7, 2012

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

buttopticor posted:

Maybe "dropping straight into REM due to lack of sleep and then not dreaming"?

I don't mean sleeping, I mean when you get into bed you suddenly aren't tired anymore.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Second wind?

Jkid
Apr 20, 2010
Where should I put my computer power strip/surge protector?

I was thinking about putting it on top of my desk, but it gets dusty from time to time. Currently one of my other power strips is under the desk which has already got shat on my various cockroaches, and got infiltrated by them by crawling INSIDE the ground part of the one of the electrical outlet of the port.

So, top of the desk or bottom of my desk?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jkid posted:

Where should I put my computer power strip/surge protector?

I was thinking about putting it on top of my desk, but it gets dusty from time to time. Currently one of my other power strips is under the desk which has already got shat on my various cockroaches, and got infiltrated by them by crawling INSIDE the ground part of the one of the electrical outlet of the port.

So, top of the desk or bottom of my desk?

IMO, a little dust isn't going to do a power strip much harm. Standard electrical outlets already have an overkill amount of contact area between the two conductors.
Also, the floor gets dusty too?
I've had power strips atop desks for super long, or in exposed parts of the floor, and I've used power strips that are very visibly dirty, and never had an issue.
If you're really worried, spray the power strip's outlets' holes out with compressed air once a year or something.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
When I go to bed, I suddenly feel very anxious, like somebody is going to pounce on me or something, or the worries of the day weigh really heavy on me. This happens within seconds of laying down, and getting up and moving about quickly soothes the feeling. Is their a name for this phenomenon? Am I the only one to suffer it?

Jkid
Apr 20, 2010

alnilam posted:

IMO, a little dust isn't going to do a power strip much harm. Standard electrical outlets already have an overkill amount of contact area between the two conductors.
Also, the floor gets dusty too?
I've had power strips atop desks for super long, or in exposed parts of the floor, and I've used power strips that are very visibly dirty, and never had an issue.
If you're really worried, spray the power strip's outlets' holes out with compressed air once a year or something.

The floor under the desk does not get dusty. Only the desk area behind the monitors. Thanks for the advice though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I knew it would happen one day:

I was going to download a TortoiseSVN update and I wasn't paying attention and accidentally downloaded and ran one of their advertisement installers (specifically something called Zoom Downloader). This little fucker wouldn't abort the install no matter how many times I clicked cancel on the installer steps.

Damage report so far is changing all my browser homepages and default search engines, and installing some stupid toolbar on everything. I've taken care of these but is there some way to undo the damage or check for any other crap that got messed up?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

I knew it would happen one day:

I was going to download a TortoiseSVN update and I wasn't paying attention and accidentally downloaded and ran one of their advertisement installers (specifically something called Zoom Downloader). This little fucker wouldn't abort the install no matter how many times I clicked cancel on the installer steps.

Damage report so far is changing all my browser homepages and default search engines, and installing some stupid toolbar on everything. I've taken care of these but is there some way to undo the damage or check for any other crap that got messed up?

Have you run the uninstaller? They provide a stand alone un-installer on their website if the standard add/remove programs doesn't work.

http://zoomdownloader.com/Home/Support

This isn't a typical nefarious drive-by spyware installation, it's a legit company and they have to provide uninstall tools to stay within legal guidelines.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Does sign language have a non verbal equivalent to rhyming?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Baron Bifford posted:

When I go to bed, I suddenly feel very anxious, like somebody is going to pounce on me or something, or the worries of the day weigh really heavy on me. This happens within seconds of laying down, and getting up and moving about quickly soothes the feeling. Is their a name for this phenomenon? Am I the only one to suffer it?

Anxiety attack, for a better answer and help see a doctor.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

Does sign language have a non verbal equivalent to rhyming?

Yes - can't find a source right now, but there is such a thing as sign language rap/MCing, where similar looking signs are used to substitute for rhyming

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signmark : "When performing, he rhymes signs by ensuring that they have the same types of hand forms and signs."

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Have you run the uninstaller? They provide a stand alone un-installer on their website if the standard add/remove programs doesn't work.

http://zoomdownloader.com/Home/Support

This isn't a typical nefarious drive-by spyware installation, it's a legit company and they have to provide uninstall tools to stay within legal guidelines.

I did, but while they may be legit the program also comes with some other things that definitely aren't part of the install, because they were still there after I uninstalled (one being that toolbar I mentioned). There also wasn't any options to not install them and I did not agree to have my homepage and search changed which raises a big flag.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Manslaughter posted:

I did, but while they may be legit the program also comes with some other things that definitely aren't part of the install, because they were still there after I uninstalled (one being that toolbar I mentioned). There also wasn't any options to not install them and I did not agree to have my homepage and search changed which raises a big flag.

Run a System Restore to a point before you clicked it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

Go in add/remove programs and remove those as well then.

It's scummy, it's terrible, but it should all be uninstallable like a normal program. It's not like most malware where you need special remove tools.

EDIT: Might as well run MalwareBytes as well and see if it'll remove any leftover bits but just uninstall them from add/remove first, it's more graceful than ripping them out of your system.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 7, 2012

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I remember hearing this one day but due to the nature of the question I'm having trouble remembering it. I heard that around Boston and in other parts of the northeast, an "Irish Car Bomb" drink is called something else because it's offensive to the Irish. Also that if you ask for one at a bar you're nearly asking for a fight. But for the life of me I can't remember what the PC name is called. Does anyone know what they're called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Baron Bifford posted:

Definitely go see a doctor. I had trouble with my mind racing at night, and a psychiatrist was able to prescribe something that helped.