Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
What is :rms: for? It seems like an incomplete version of :getin:, without the transparency or the animation. What's the relationship between :rms: and :rms2:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

toanoradian posted:

What is :rms: for? It seems like an incomplete version of :getin:, without the transparency or the animation. What's the relationship between :rms: and :rms2:?
From earlier in the thread:

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

No godddamn it. I made the get in frog and it has nothing to do with soccer or whatever the gently caress. I literally put trollface teeth on that green frog smiley and added the opposite phrase usually associated with it because I'm a loving retard. Someone reposted it. YOSPOS removed the whitespace, animated it, and bought both versions. The original can be seen here: :rms:. Thank you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:rms2: was the image that was supposed to get bought for the : rms : smiley, but someone screwed up. It's a picture of noted free software advocate and foot gunk connoisseur Richard M. Stallman.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
A new smiley came out of the Girl who thinks she's married to anime guys thread. Pretty self-explanatory.

:justpost:

It's my favorite since :shrug:.

e: Durrr grammar and link.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Sep 6, 2012

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
What's the origin of :unsmigghh:, other than a branch of :smith:?

Also, how exactly would you put :unsmigghh: itself into words? I've seen it used, and used it before myself, but I can't figure out how to put it into words. The best I can think of is something like "poo poo's about to go down!"

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

fade5 posted:

Also, how exactly would you put :unsmigghh: itself into words? I've seen it used, and used it before myself, but I can't figure out how to put it into words. The best I can think of is something like "poo poo's about to go down!"

I've always seen it more as an expression of intense frustration or anger due to a futile situation, especially one that's futile for a dumb or incomprehensible reason.

E.g. "Well my brother just broke his tibia after a unicycle accident. That's accident number five for him. Despite our many warnings that he may not be very good at riding unicycles, he says he'll be back on it as soon as he's healed. Welp. :unsmigghh:"

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

fade5 posted:

What's the origin of :unsmigghh:, other than a branch of :smith:?

It's shorthand of having an embolism out of pure frustration, in my opinion.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I see it as a sort of gradual descent into madness. Like the LSD boat ride in Willy Wonka combined with Event Horizon. (youtube link to the famous "we won't need eyes to see" scene.)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I always saw it used in the same context as :getin: before that one was bought.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I read it as a "poo poo gettin crazy, gently caress yeah :getin: "

Uh, no idea if that's right.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it's a smiley for Gory poo poo! Talkin bout a zombie biting someone's thigh off? :unsmigghh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's really a versatile emoticon.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I find it ironic that smilies, ostensibly used to remove at least part of the ambiguous nature of conveying emotion in text, are becoming ambiguous themselves.

:radcat:

Edit: For what it's worth I've always seen :unsmigghh: as a "Everything's insane, the only coping mechanism left is insanity". But gently caress if I can ever remember how to spell it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fade5 posted:

Also, how exactly would you put :unsmigghh: itself into words? I've seen it used, and used it before myself, but I can't figure out how to put it into words.

To me, it's that something is now so terrible the only sort of joy you get out of it is a schadenfreudian pleasure of other victims experiencing it.

I hang out in TVIV pretty much exclusively and the only time I see it used it when it's about ASOIAF books 4/5, The Killing, Glee post season one...shows that go really, really bad really fast with the only joy you get is by watching other morons watching it and recoiling in horror at how goddamn terrible it is.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Ursine Asylum posted:

I find it ironic that smilies, ostensibly used to remove at least part of the ambiguous nature of conveying emotion in text, are becoming ambiguous themselves.

Edit: For what it's worth I've always seen :unsmigghh: as a "Everything's insane, the only coping mechanism left is insanity". But gently caress if I can ever remember how to spell it.

Unsmith with two Gs and two Hs. Easiest way to piece it together :unsmigghh:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

That is a rad cat. What is difficult to understand?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Cease to Hope posted:

That is a rad cat. What is difficult to understand?

Seriously. It's a cat that's rad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

edit

wrong thread sorry.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

gnarlyhotep posted:

Seriously. It's a cat that's rad.

And it is not a bad cat.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

toanoradian posted:

And it is not a bad cat.

No not a bad cat. A rad cat.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

SporkOfTruth posted:

This is also why when SAS had a FYAD-lite, it was named YTS (Your Team Sucks).

SAS had an FYAD-lite? I had no idea :psyduck:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
has :vd: already been explained? Because it owns.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

SAS had an FYAD-lite? I had no idea :psyduck:

It got axed pretty quickly since it was basically the worst forum on the site. It was about 50% SA2K posts, so you can imagine how that worked out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Monicro posted:

has :vd: already been explained? Because it owns.

I want to say it was mentioned earlier in the thread that it was a vanity (well, "vanity") emote bought for a BYOB poster named Violet Dragon, back in the day when half of BYOB was buying emoticons for each other. It's seriously a good one, though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

gnarlyhotep posted:

No not a bad cat. A rad cat.

A tad mad at bad rad cat.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Antivehicular posted:

I want to say it was mentioned earlier in the thread that it was a vanity (well, "vanity") emote bought for a BYOB poster named Violet Dragon, back in the day when half of BYOB was buying emoticons for each other. It's seriously a good one, though.

This is correct, yes. Get murdered was something she said often enough to be seen as a catchphrase I guess.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I usually see :unsmigghh: used as "I'm going to do something that is crazy and may end up getting me killed but is also awesome as gently caress." Then again I usually see it in AI where those types of things happen so context probably has a lot to do with it.

Also I was fully expecting the code for :radcat: to be :datass: because its face really really reminds me of that.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

And why do we have :horse:?

So you can do this: :horse::horse::gizz:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That made me laugh myself sick, thanks.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Always preferred :horse::gizz::corsair: myself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

cobalt impurity posted:

Always preferred :horse::gizz::corsair: myself.

Jesus wept...

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

I see it as a sort of gradual descent into madness. Like the LSD boat ride in Willy Wonka combined with Event Horizon. (youtube link to the famous "we won't need eyes to see" scene.)

I wish I remembered where I found this -->

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is it wrong that I've always found :catstare: to be not cat ears but a :stare: with a giant, evil, villain-like collar?

Like this:

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

I thought it was Guile hair.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I always saw it as a guy throwing his arms up in desperation.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thwomp posted:

Is it wrong that I've always found :catstare: to be not cat ears but a :stare: with a giant, evil, villain-like collar?

Going strictly by the code for it, yes.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Ok, probably gonna get made fun of for this but what does YOSPOS stand for?

Since I don't think anyone answered this seriously, and I hate fun, it acutally stands for 'Your OS is a POS', which is much more self-explanatory.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Sep 8, 2012

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Hey so I was the guy who made :pcgaming:

I bought an av for a friend based on the Brain Machine guy, and he liked PC gaming

then I made a frog of it and someone bought it

I made a lot of frogs back then.

Sorry but you didnt make these two frogs. I made the first one, which was frogeng101 or frog101 from eng101 :eng101:
The second was made by TheYoungHomer and is froggonk :froggonk: from gonk :gonk:

Let me set some of the record straight. Most people know where frog came from, an emote adaptation of the frog plush toy. I don't know who made the original emote :frog: but Abraham started posting it in FYAD in 2005. Frog emotes caught on quickly, had a short run, then burned out just as quickly. Of the purchased frog emotes on SA I made:

:frogout: as in, get out of fyad, the original context and meaning
:frogbon: frog version of shobon :shobon:
:frogc00l: frog version of c00l :c00l:

:frogout: was either the first of the frog emotes after :frog: frog to be purchased, or it was second to :froggonk: I dont remember. But frogout was first purchased by a guy posting in FYAD saying he would buy emotes and he bought quite a few. Then it turned out that the card was stolen or it was some kid with his mom's card or something and all the emotes he bought were deleted by either Lowtax or Barry. It was later repurchased legitimately but I don't know who did it.

frogs I also made that were posted on the forums at some point but never purchased:
from clowballon :cb:
from cawg :cawg:

frog fap hand from :fh:
frog eating a fly
from pwn :pwn:
frog rolling its eyes
frog winking

I think there was a frog blinking too like the frog and the fly but without the fly but I dont think I have that version anymore

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Whoops, yeah, they got included in my Hall of Frogs and were from the same time period so I just assumed.

Sorry, Froglords. We are all Frogs down here, though.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I would really like somebody to explain :rory: for... reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Rory: he dead.