Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Pesky Splinter posted:

It is basically Cloud and Lightning's face. Or, rather, Nomura's generic "protagonist" face.

To move away from Belts and Zippers, and on to Beads and Sashes:

Amano celebrating 25 years of the best and worst games of the series.

Can you tell which game they're from? Or which white-haired, androgynous character is which?

[e]: Yeah, it's easy to know where they're from, but Amano really has a thing for blondes :v:
VVV

I'm actually not sure who a lot of the lower half people are. I see Cecil, Lightning and Terra, but everyone else is pretty ambiguous. I also have no idea who that guy in black is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Momomo posted:

I'm actually not sure who a lot of the lower half people are. I see Cecil, Lightning and Terra, but everyone else is pretty ambiguous. I also have no idea who that guy in black is.

From the top going clockwise:

Altana - Creatrix Goddess of Vana'diel, and Goddess of the Dawn (FF11),

and either Professor Shanttoto (also FF11) or a Moogle (it's kinda blurry)
Zidane (FFIX)
Tidus and Yuna (FFX)
Vaan and Fran (XII)
Looks like an NPC from XIV trailer. (the only one I'm not sure about)
Cecil (IV)
The nameless Warrior of Light - used in promotional materials, never in the game itself (III)

Firion (II)
Lightning (XIII)
The Warrior of Light/Fighter (FF1)

Bartz (who in the Amano stuff has white hair)(V)
Terra and Locke (FFVI)
Cloud and Sephiroth (VII)
Squall (VIII)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 6, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Just got Quina in the group in FF9. Lindblum may be the best designed FF town of all time. Just so much detail in every scene.

I also liked randomly running into the tutorial mogs at Gizamaluke, and any time Steiner just falls over dead fainting away, I'm laughing.

Only gripe I have so far is that I think AP growth is way way too slow, I already have a backlist of weapons/gear to equip because I'm :spergin: on swapping until I learn the skills, which they even encourage you to do at some point.

Other than that, this game has already packed more excitement and fun into disc 1, which hasn't ended yet, than I had in all of FF8.

FF9 :allears:

Of course, the card game is a mysterious pile of poo poo, but I can forgive it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

From the top going clockwise:

I was going to try this but I couldn't name half the people. Here's what you missed:

There's a moogle by Cecil, there's a dragon at the top, Yuna's a ghost, the crystal has impaled Sephiroth through the heart, and Squall through the butt.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 6, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tempo 119 posted:

I was going to try this but I couldn't name half the people. Here's what you missed:

There's a moogle by Cecil, there's a dragon at the top, Yuna's a ghost, the crystal has impaled Sephiroth through the heart, and Squall through the butt.

drat, missed the moogle and the dragon. :saddowns:

I have no idea what's going on with Sephiroth. It looks a bit like he's sticking his sword out, and we're seeing the thin edge of the blade. But he's also missing feet, so christ knows.

Any idea what the orange and red/blue blobs underneath the Nameless Warrior are?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tempo 119 posted:

the crystal has impaled Squall through the butt.

You say this as if this didn't already happen in FF8.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Krad posted:

I have no idea what you're talking ab

Well now!

Dear god, it's like looking at an evolution chart.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Beat would need to be first then, so the coat has a logical progression to its full douchebaggery potential.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The White Dragon posted:

You say this as if this didn't already happen in FF8.

You know, the idea of Rinoa being Squall's beard, suddenly everything about their relationship makes sense. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wow, three distinct looking characters even though they have somewhat similar outfits. Impressive showcase of character design guys.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This time I'm trying to use a completely different party from the first 4 you get. I was thinking Freya who has a very easy 9999, maybe Quina for his spells but his frog drop 9999 is too boring to level up so I'll see how Limit Glove does, and I wanted Eiko but as far as I know she can't reliably do 9999 right?

I used Eiko instead of Dagger because of Phoenix... or more specifically, Auto-Phoenix. Never ever sell Phoenix Pinions! When you get 99, you have a little less than a 40% chance to have a full party revive instead of a game over. This is useful against Ozma.

Francois Kofko posted:

I distinctly remember that if you miss one or two of them, you're disqualified from the whole sidequest (because there are some moogles you can't reach again, iirc).

The Moogles in the blocked off areas move to new areas on the world map. The Moogle from the Evil Forest, for example, moves to one of the low-lying gate entrances.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Dear god, it's like looking at an evolution chart.

That's odd. To me it looks like the feminine hygiene product aisle.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

[...] and I wanted Eiko but as far as I know she can't reliably do 9999 right?

Eiko is actually one of the characters that would hit 9999 the earliest in my games. She packs some serious damage with Holy and Maduin if you gear for it — you can buy a Magic Racket and Mage's Hat soon after you get her, win a Rebirth Ring in the Card Tournament and then get your hands on a Jade Armlet and have a full complement of Holy damage-boosting gear before you even get your hands on the White Robe. My memory's hazy on when exactly the earliest opportunity to learn Holy is, but I remember it being early enough that she'd be doing mondo damage before anyone else on my team got to. Between Holy/Maduin and her superior White Magic options, Eiko's actually a shoo-in whenever I decide to assemble my FFIX A-team.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I just booted up my FF Tactics (WotL) file again, and apparently I left it off at around Orbourne Monastery or something.

Right now I apparently have:

-Ramza, who's almost done with Monk and Squire
-Generic Archer who's maxed out Monk
-Generic Ninja who's got about 4 levels in Chemist
-Generic Time Mage. I think I was going to make him a Summoner?
-2 Red Chocobos
-Mustadio and Agrias

All the generics are male. Everyone is around level 21 except Agrias and Mustadio who are level 15.

Is it going to be rough going from here on? Do I need any female generics, or will I be fine with the current party?

Ramza, Mustiado, Agrias, a chocobo and get the time mage some white magic and you'll be fine until you replace the last 2 with Worker 8 and Beowulf if/when you find them, then work Orlandu in to the mix somewhere (usually replacing Mustadio).

Alternatively, the "let's remove challenge" route of:

Recruit a chemist female(or 2), get her to Calculator asap and spam yell at her to shoot her speed through the roof, have her farm JP until she can max Math Skill, then swap her to a white mage after getting the ice/fire/bolt 4 spells and Flare from Black Mage. On White Mage you want holy and cure 4. Spells like haste/slow are fine but ultimately not needed.

If she has 6(might be 8) speed then on her first turn you will be able to hit every unit on the battlefield with the spell of your choice using CT 4. Give them a Chantage and they will have permanent re-raise, meaning they can never actually die. Make sure you have party members with almost 0 faith so they can survive the impending insta-nuke of holy or flare. If you have a 2nd character setup this way then when their turn comes they'll raise (due to chantage) and can let off another wave of instantly-hits-all-the-things Holy/Flare/whatever attack. Anything that isn't sitting at single-digit faith and high HP (or is a boss) will be dead.

You can usually clear most fights instantly doing this, so if you want a challenge, don't do this.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Huh. :stare:

Never knew Amano did stuff for Moorcock.

Amano even did covers for The Book of the New Sun!

I like the little crown on Severian as Autarch there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Eiko is actually one of the characters that would hit 9999 the earliest in my games. She packs some serious damage with Holy and Maduin if you gear for it — you can buy a Magic Racket and Mage's Hat soon after you get her, win a Rebirth Ring in the Card Tournament and then get your hands on a Jade Armlet and have a full complement of Holy damage-boosting gear before you even get your hands on the White Robe. My memory's hazy on the when exactly the earliest opportunity to learn Holy is, but I remember it being early enough that she'd be doing mondo damage before anyone else on my team got to. Between Holy/Maduin and her superior White Magic options, Eiko's actually a shoo-in whenever I decide to assemble my FFIX A-team.
Nice, thanks for this. So Eiko and Freya for sure, I'm thinking Quina in the last slot but depends on how it goes. I wanted to use Amarant but eh

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nice, thanks for this. So Eiko and Freya for sure, I'm thinking Quina in the last slot but depends on how it goes. I wanted to use Amarant but eh

Ultimately depends on what you want. Quina has better MT damage with Earth Shake and to an extent Twister, and has a bit of MT healing. Amarant can also do that but only in Trance, and is far better off for ST damage unless you want to grind Quina to get Frog Drop. Amarant is better choice for hitting Wind-weak enemies with certain claws. He also has better buffs and can recover MP.

Bottom-line, Quina is better if you put work into him/her, Amarant is better for a casual run. With your current party compoisition I'd lean towards Amarant, since Chakra helps out Eiko and Aura + Phoenix + Reis' Wind is a solid defensive combo that's only shut down by status. Zidane/Freya/Amarant/Eiko also has a nice thematic feel to it, but again, ultimately your own choice.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I'd rather not farm frogs, I'm not sure if I'll do all the chocobo stuff even.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It's not like it's really necessary to do any serious grinding in FFIX anyway. As long as you don't run from too many fights you'll be fine for the last boss. Admittedly, I've never bothered to do the Ozma stuff.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

TL posted:

It's not like it's really necessary to do any serious grinding in FFIX anyway. As long as you don't run from too many fights you'll be fine for the last boss. Admittedly, I've never bothered to do the Ozma stuff.

Ozma is a real beast.

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

Ozma is a real beast.

you are.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I realize this has nothing to do with the current conversation but I was reading through FFX's script when debating its merits elsewhere and something dawned on me that I had never considered before.

FFX goes out of its way to make Seymour seem truly monstrous. Even his own mother condemns him when you get Anima.

Only...read this dialogue and consider the context of what a Final Summoning entails.

quote:

Young Seymour: No! Mother, no! I don't want you to become a fayth!
Seymour's Mother: There is no other way. Use me and defeat Sin. Only then will the people accept you.
Young Seymour: I don't care about them! I need you, mother! No one else!
Seymour's Mother: I don't have much time left.

-----------
Seymour's Mother: And so I becae a fayth. But... Because I let him taste power, He began to thirst for more. He was not satisfied with my aeon. He wanted more. More power.

Now we all know what happens when a summoner actually "defeats" Sin. And this wasn't big, evil Seymour. This was sobbing and weeping child Seymour who just had the only person who loved him in the world die.

And her final words? "Kill yourself and then people will like you."

To top it all off, when the traumatized child chooses not to commit suicide, she blames it all on his lust for power.

I really like FFX but I'm getting strong Dirge of Cerberus vibes here. Seymour's mom reminds me so much of Lucrecia in that the game is trying to make her out to be a sympathetic victim when she is in fact a complete monster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I realize this has nothing to do with the current conversation but I was reading through FFX's script when debating its merits elsewhere and something dawned on me that I had never considered before.

FFX goes out of its way to make Seymour seem truly monstrous. Even his own mother condemns him when you get Anima.

Only...read this dialogue and consider the context of what a Final Summoning entails.

Now we all know what happens when a summoner actually "defeats" Sin. And this wasn't big, evil Seymour. This was sobbing and weeping child Seymour who just had the only person who loved him in the world die.

And her final words? "Kill yourself and then people will like you."

To top it all off, when the traumatized child chooses not to commit suicide, she blames it all on his lust for power.

I really like FFX but I'm getting strong Dirge of Cerberus vibes here. Seymour's mom reminds me so much of Lucrecia in that the game is trying to make her out to be a sympathetic victim when she is in fact a complete monster.

If I recall, the thing there was that Anima wasn't a "Final Summoning." It was just a summon. His mother said to use a regular summon and destroy Sin. You only get the suicide summoning after Zanarkand and it kills you. Seymour can summon Anima without problem and Yuna can get it later.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If I recall, the thing there was that Anima wasn't a "Final Summoning." It was just a summon. His mother said to use a regular summon and destroy Sin. You only get the suicide summoning after Zanarkand and it kills you.

You see the flashback of his mother becoming a fayth in Zanarkand. It should be obvious who turned her into a fayth just from that but when Yunalesca lists all the bonds powerful enough to make a good Final Summon she says between husband and wife (her and Zaeon), friends (Braska and Jecht, potentially other High Summoners) or between mother and child.

And the mere act of summoning the aeon isn't what kills you. I'm pretty sure it's Yu Yevon possessing the Final Aeon that results in the summoner's death.

quote:

Seymour can summon Anima without problem and Yuna can get it later.

Anima isn't Yuna's Final Aeon. She has no special relation to her and that is where a Final Aeon derives its power.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

And the mere act of summoning the aeon isn't what kills you. I'm pretty sure it's Yu Yevon possessing the Final Aeon that results in the summoner's death.

No, not quite. The final aeon is what kills the summoner. It's just that after the final aeon defeats Sin, Yu Yevon then comes forth and possesses the final aeon in order for Sin to be reborn. That occurs right after both Sin and the summoner dies I thought.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

You see the flashback of his mother becoming a fayth in Zanarkand. It should be obvious who turned her into a fayth just from that but when Yunalesca lists all the bonds powerful enough to make a good Final Summon she says between husband and wife (her and Zaeon), friends (Braska and Jecht, potentially other High Summoners) or between mother and child.

Yes, but specifically a final Aeon is the one summoned during the battle with Sin and due to its nature is strong enough to pierce Sin's armor and destroy it. Anima is never shown to be remotely that powerful, even when Seymour summons it against you.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
By Luca, we can safely say that Seymour really doesn't give a poo poo about his mother, and Yuna knows her only through having a brief chat with her fayth. If the power comes from the bond, then there ain't gonna be much power there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

No, not quite. The final aeon is what kills the summoner. It's just that after the final aeon defeats Sin, Yu Yevon then comes forth and possesses the final aeon in order for Sin to be reborn. That occurs right after both Sin and the summoner dies I thought.

The game doesn't really specify. The best we get is Rikku saying the Final Aeon is going to kill Yuna.
This could mean a couple things. it could indirectly kill her by the simple exertion of its summoning. Or it could mean it turns around and squishes her flat.

I always thought it was the second option. After Sin is destroyed, Yu Yevon possesses the aeon and uses it to kill the summoner.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, but specifically a final Aeon is the one summoned during the battle with Sin and due to its nature is strong enough to pierce Sin's armor and destroy it. Anima is never shown to be remotely that powerful, even when Seymour summons it against you.

Francois Kofko posted:

By Luca, we can safely say that Seymour really doesn't give a poo poo about his mother, and Yuna knows her only through having a brief chat with her fayth. If the power comes from the bond, then there ain't gonna be much power there.

This could make sense. I always wondered why the party could defeat the thing that defeats Sin only halfway through the game. But if Seymour's antipathy and his mother's own dislike for him and what he's doing weakens the aeon, it would clarify things.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Krad posted:

I named the MC in DQ8 Goku because, well, you can tell why. :downs:

Speaking of bad character designers, I like Nomura's monsters a lot, but his characters leave a lot to be desired. A lot.

I've noticed as time has gone on and the in game tech has let things be more realistic the same face syndrome is hitting a lot harder, which I think is the cause of the outfits getting more ridiculous to compensate. Nomura mostly just recycles among a small pool of faces if we're talking *party* members. Other folks are more allowed to look different and be weird/ugly/old.

As for Matoya's Mask starring Grumpy McPink, I'd be fine with Gilgamesh as the Happy Sword Salesman.

keet fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 7, 2012

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

The game doesn't really specify. The best we get is Rikku saying the Final Aeon is going to kill Yuna.
This could mean a couple things. it could indirectly kill her by the simple exertion of its summoning. Or it could mean it turns around and squishes her flat.

I always thought it was the second option. After Sin is destroyed, Yu Yevon possesses the aeon and uses it to kill the summoner.

Hmmm yeah. You are right in that the game doesn't provide enough certainty to know one way or the other. I kind of like the idea of Yu Yevon being the actual reason it happens though. I always thought the Final Aeon killed the summoner because unlike the other Aeons it is very much out of control once summoned. I assumed that because of how Jecht lost control after transforming, but that still doesn't make it perfectly clear.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 7, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Well Eiko would be your wildcard slot against Ozma, really. The problem with Auto-Phoenix in that fight is that if Ozma doesn't follow up a TPW spell with Doomsday, there's no way you'll be able to win: Curse or Flare Star's animations are way too short for your ATBs (which reset to 0 when you die) to recharge before Ozma gets another turn, short of having 50 Speed and Auto-Haste. The only thing you want Eiko to be doing in that battle is using your one Dark Matter on the boss since that's an automatic one-time 9999, and then never acting again because magic is way too unreliable against that boss. I've had 2x Reflect Flares do <2000, and party-reflected Bios do anywhere from 4000 to 9999.

Honestly I'd try wildcard Steiner: physical attacks (i.e. SHOCK) are much more reliable against Ozma than magic is for some reason. Of course, you'd just be using him to drop the Dark Matter on his first turn and hoping that he wouldn't have to act after that anyway.

Eiko is pretty much the shittiest character in the game, mechanically speaking. Sure, you get Full Life and Madeen, but 1) you shouldn't be dying anyway, 2) what are you gonna do with Doublecast White Magic, 2x Holy? You can get more mileage out of 2x Bio bounced off your party: it's non-elemental, it'll probably hit multiple targets, it'll definitely do max damage, and its animation is super-short, 3) if you're looking for a healer with good damage output, Garnet is worlds superior. Doublecast White Magic hits twice; Eidolon hits literally infinite times as long as she's in Trance.

Far as not-Ozma goes, between Quina and someone else? I still like Quina as a character, some folks don't, but if you're one of them who doesn't, I'd personally go Zidane - someone - Vivi - Steiner. The lattermost eats up MP like a motherfucker, but his normal attack is already crazy anyway and Magic Sword or Beatrix's Holy Sword stuff is entirely optional, or for when you wanna hit entire groups with him instead of single targets.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 7, 2012

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Well Eiko would be your wildcard slot against Ozma, really. The problem with Auto-Phoenix in that fight is that if Ozma doesn't follow up a TPW spell with Doomsday, there's no way you'll be able to win: Curse or Flare Star's animations are way too short for your ATBs (which reset to 0 when you die) to recharge before Ozma gets another turn, short of having 50 Speed and Auto-Haste. The only thing you want Eiko to be doing in that battle is using your one Dark Matter on the boss since that's an automatic one-time 9999, and then never acting again because magic is way too unreliable against that boss. I've had 2x Reflect Flares do <2000, and party-reflected Bios do anywhere from 4000 to 9999.

Honestly I'd try wildcard Steiner: physical attacks (i.e. SHOCK) are much more reliable against Ozma than magic is for some reason. Of course, you'd just be using him to drop the Dark Matter on his first turn and hoping that he wouldn't have to act after that anyway.

Eiko is pretty much the shittiest character in the game, mechanically speaking. Sure, you get Full Life and Madeen, but 1) you shouldn't be dying anyway, 2) what are you gonna do with Doublecast White Magic, 2x Holy? You can get more mileage out of 2x Bio bounced off your party: it's non-elemental, it'll probably hit multiple targets, it'll definitely do max damage, and its animation is super-short, 3) if you're looking for a healer with good damage output, Garnet is worlds superior. Doublecast White Magic hits twice; Eidolon hits literally infinite times as long as she's in Trance.

Far as not-Ozma goes, between Quina and someone else? I still like Quina as a character, some folks don't, but if you're one of them who doesn't, I'd personally go Zidane - someone - Vivi - Steiner. The lattermost eats up MP like a motherfucker, but his normal attack is already crazy anyway and Magic Sword or Beatrix's Holy Sword stuff is entirely optional, or for when you wanna hit entire groups with him instead of single targets.

It's kind of a 'some like this, some like that' kind of deal, but I wouldn't say Dagger is immediately suprerior to Eiko. If we're talking mechanics, Holy has a much shorter animation than Bahamut, and there aren't any Holy-resistant enemies in the game anyway (other than the Friendly Monsters). Yes, Bio would probably be faster, but we're not comparing Vivi, we're comparing Dagger, and using the Bio strategy either requires everyone use up 15 gems for Auto-Reflect, or using Eiko anyway for Carbuncle. As for utility, you can't beat Dbl Wht. Esuna and Dispel are also extremely valuable support - the latter is useful when fighting Ash in Memoria if you don't want to equip Locomotion. Eidolon has potentially great output, but the random factor of it makes not exactly reliable. And using it infinitely is a moot point since 1. Dagger can't do anything when her next turn would end Trance, sind that would end Eidolon, so you lose your healer and 2. There are no enemies that last long enough in the game that you couldn't blow through with 1 Trance Bar, anyway.

I wouldn't go using Trances to determine usefulness at the end of the day, considering the rarity of getting them. Quina and Freya have terrible trances, but it doesn't diminsh their usefulness any. Trance is more of a bonus than anything when you get it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

As for utility, you can't beat Dbl Wht. Esuna and Dispel are also extremely valuable support - the latter is useful when fighting Ash in Memoria if you don't want to equip Locomotion.

quote:

2. There are no enemies that last long enough in the game that you couldn't blow through with 1 Trance Bar, anyway.
Like you say: battles are super short in FF9. But it's pretty self-contradicting to say, "well battles are so short that [action] is pointless" while saying "cast support or utility spells" in the same breath :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Like you say: battles are super short in FF9. But it's pretty self-contradicting to say, "well battles are so short that [action] is pointless" while saying "cast support or utility spells" in the same breath :colbert:

The amount of time it would take to use up an entire Trance bar, even if Trance activated at the start of the battle, including all the turns of your other 3 members and any enemies on the battlefield, is long enough that you would only see it during boss fights like Trance Kuja or Necron.

And if you're going to say support or utility spells are useless, I guess that would make Chakra, Curaga, Life/Phoenix, Auto-Life, etc. pointless? Because anything that doesn't do damage would fall under that category.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dagger. She has the better stats, you get her earlier so you can boost her stats more efficiently, she has the better selection of equipment, and I like the character better. But if you want to talk about who the better character is, you can't discount what Eiko brings to the table. Even if she's not outright better than Dagger, she would certainly beat Amarant, because hey, support or utility is pointless, right?

But at this point, I think we can just agree to disagree.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What I'm noticing on my newest playthrough is that spells like Shell/Protect last painfully short amount of times. Casting Mighty Guard with Quina and it seems like the effect is over by her next turn, same goes for Reis Wind. Having the abilities as support and "Auto-_____" works a lot better.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My uninformed casual-play $0.02 is that I generally preferred Eiko to Dagger. Eiko has the wider selection of healing/support options, and while Dagger in turn has the wider selection of offensive options, they're all summons with animations to match. Eiko, meanwhile, can just go busting out Holy (which as noted, works on everything you'd want to be damaging in the first place).

No question that Eiko has less offensive variety, but what she does have works really well for my taste, and on top of that you get more white magic for support too.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Harlock posted:

What I'm noticing on my newest playthrough is that spells like Shell/Protect last painfully short amount of times. Casting Mighty Guard with Quina and it seems like the effect is over by her next turn, same goes for Reis Wind. Having the abilities as support and "Auto-_____" works a lot better.

I've noticed that too, with the slow spell, it took me 3 shots to land and lasted maybe 3 turns. Is this just a consequence of active battle? Because wait is just KILLER.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harlock posted:

It's based on the caster's Spirit. Mighty Guard is pretty crappy 'cause Quina has, like, a 17 or 18 Spirit that never gets much higher unless you gain levels with +Spirit equipment on. Same problem with Freya, though her Spirit is a bit higher. Reis' Wind is only really worth it if you wanna get nuts about stealing stuff, and only until Auto-Regen.

Loving Life Partner posted:

I've noticed that too, with the slow spell, it took me 3 shots to land and lasted maybe 3 turns. Is this just a consequence of active battle? Because wait is just KILLER.
Slow just has a crappy base hit rate, you'll get that with any monster vulnerable to it. And no, it's only partially Active ATB. Slow ticks down every time the monster's ATB ticks up (or could tick up). Wait would only remedy this if you did the Wait menu trick.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 8, 2012

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, the same thing that makes regen awesome for healing up during animations also makes (non-auto) status durations be at least somewhat wasted by ticking down during animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I've been playing FFVI. I got to the World of Ruin and I'm really not seeing why people hyped this game up so much. The combat system is okay, but it's nothing really special. The story is decent enough, but I really don't care about a good host of the characters, it's just like Terra, Celes, Sabin and Locke and even Sabin isn't really that prominent. Kefka is not interesting at all, his only defining features are he kills things and laughs... oh and he's a clown, I guess that's a thing. The Empire is dumb, the group doesn't feel much like a closely knit group for the most part, it just seems like you pick up random guys and they cease to become relevant after a while and Ultros is actually really awesome, so there's something.

Also, I hated the scene after the world is blown to poo poo where Celes treats Cid like a grandfather despite us not really even seeing a Cid a lot. If I'm supposed to invest myself into Celes then fair enough, but I honestly do not care about Cid because I barely know him and for Celes to seriously be calling him "Granddad" suddenly because the world has ended is seriously weird. Is this scene supposed to show the two slowly losing their minds at the world around going to hell? Because it would make more sense to me if it were that. I dunno, maybe this game doesn't appeal to me at all or maybe the hype really sort of ruined me on the game, I just don't see why it's so... highly praised?