Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Technique posted:

Okay, so, i've been binging on this for, like, a few weeks, and just finished Act 5 (holy poo poo, Cascade.) and i feel like i need a Homestuck avatar now. I vaguely remember, from waaaay long ago before i even cared about this, there being some sort of thread of something which listed unused avatars? Since, like, most of the best ones are probably taken anyway, but still, it would be kinda neat to avoid accidentally stealing someone else's, since half of SA has one. Did such a thread ever exist, or am i misremembering?
This was the old repository. Definitely out of date in terms of which ones are "available" or not, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

nerdbot posted:

I would imagine the lives of Karkat and the gang were pretty uninteresting on Beforus, aside from Feferi, and we already basically know what she did as Empress just by looking at how Beforus turned out at all.

Even if their lives were dull, there might be little bits of their interactions and personal lives that could be brought up by pre-scratch trolls to make meaningful points. If Aranea told Vriska that her pre-scratch self was called "Kindfang" (I think that was in the flash, along with 'Radglare', assuming they weren't just jokes) that might help change her opinion of her own potential.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

AriadneThread posted:

At the very least, I'd like to find out what Meenah's lusus was. Seeing as there wouldn't have been a Doc Scratch to introduce a killer telepathic horrorterror with which to deform all of troll society to the whims of a self-centered young girl.

The lussii were introduced by the scratch (See: Jake's Terror Island), so she didn't have one :ssh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't think we know yet if Beforus had lusii or not. Jake's island could just be the Batterwitch's lusii experiment dumping ground, for all we know.

What's interesting is that, with no rebellion to scatter them, Beforus probably had adult trolls.

Also, someone pointed out on twitter that, for all of Kankri's trigger-warnings, he only mentions buckets in the context of something that might trigger Karkat. So that plus the implications that there was a lot of hooking up in the years the A1 session ran seems to imply that they're a lot less...sterile with their reproduction.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nate RFB posted:

This was the old repository. Definitely out of date in terms of which ones are "available" or not, though.
After seeing that (and noticing a lot of those actually did end up getting taken... then later replaced) I went to the last page and saw that the reason the thread closed was for a 3 week hiatus. Yet we just went through a longer one without locking this thread.

Have we finally done it? Have we learned not to implode upon ourselves when updates stop? I'm proud of you MSPA thread. Well done.

Also very strongly resisting the urge to change my avatar to this:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DaveKap posted:

Also very strongly resisting the urge to change my avatar to this:

DaveKap: Resist great urge to get MSPA avatar.

You fail to resist the urge.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

That avatar is great.

Kazy posted:

The lussii were introduced by the scratch (See: Jake's Terror Island), so she didn't have one :ssh:

The Scratch didn't create the lusi. The reason Jake's island was full of them was because the Batterwitch brought a bunch of them with her, and left them hidden there before she started taking over the Earth openly. Also, Kankri and Aranea talked about the ancestor trolls having lusi at points. (Although given it's Kankri and Aranea, it's easy to see why one would forget small tidbits from their overwhelming mass of :words:)

Edit: VVV As someone who was obviously a victim of a mass avatar buying in another thread, I can tell you that mass avatars are great.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 7, 2012

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

DaveKap posted:

There was a point where 3 people took the "miracles" Gamzee avatar (albeit all 3 had different move speeds) and I think Popo is the only one left to keep it. It's not really a big deal if you get a duplicate.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about duplicate avatars, considering that at one point something like 10 different people had the exact same Pickle Inspector avatar.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about duplicate avatars, considering that at one point something like 10 different people had the exact same Pickle Inspector avatar.

Oh, I'm sure he knows full well, given that he was one of those people until very recently.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I don't think we know yet if Beforus had lusii or not. Jake's island could just be the Batterwitch's lusii experiment dumping ground, for all we know.

Part of Latula's story in Aranea's exposition booth is that she had a dragon lusus to teach her how to smell again.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Fucknag posted:

DaveKap: Resist great urge to get MSPA avatar.

You fail to resist the urge.
Oh God what have you done.
Only in hindsight do I realize I was totally asking for this.
Can't wait to see what kind of reaction this gets in other threads (that I almost never post in anyway.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

DaveKap posted:

Oh God what have you done.
Only in hindsight do I realize I was totally asking for this.
Can't wait to see what kind of reaction this gets in other threads (that I almost never post in anyway.)

I'd be surprised if anyone recognized it.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
I can barely even remember what it's from

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It's less about recognition and more about "oh jesus what is that it scares me go away and stop giving me nightmares!"

It's from Bro's puppet webpage.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

A good poster posted:

Part of Latula's story in Aranea's exposition booth is that she had a dragon lusus to teach her how to smell again.

I'm pretty sure that Aranea was bullshitting about the learning to smell again part (especially since Latula's been referenced as still not being able to smell), but yeah, I'm pretty sure that Kankri mentioned lususes at some point in his giant speech as well.

It doesn't seem like Beforus trolls were that much different to Alternian trolls in terms of the quadrants/mother grub/lususes and such.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I think the joke was that Latula's lusus taught her to "smell" the same way Terezi's taught her to "see".

Also, don't worry, DaveKap. People get used to it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DaveKap, you've got a great avatar there with a great history. You are the third person to wear it, so wear it proudly.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Wanna know what's going on in that room of John's megahouse.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

King of Solomon posted:

Option 1: Watching a movie.

Option 2: Testing out Godtier resurrection.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

King of Solomon posted:

They're probably still playing Ghostbusters Online.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
LIGHTSWITCH RAVE!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
My guess is either movie night or John just went super sayin.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

LIGHTSWITCH RAVE!

Close.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Davesprite figured out how to turn his spritey glow on and off.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
We're not going to see any actual characters until some time next week, are we?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Luminous Obscurity posted:

My guess is either movie night or John just went super sayin.

But...as we saw "last year", they've got plenty of TVs and monitors and stuff on the battleship. He shouldn't have to have Jade shrink him just to watch movies.

I mean, maybe John gets nostalgic every birthday and wanted to hang out in his house?

I'm hoping it's not something so mundane, though.

edit: I wonder if server/player connections persist in situations like this. Probably not, because if they did, Team Meteor and Team Battleship could pass messages by writing on John's walls.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 8, 2012

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Goddamnit Hussie

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The closeup pile doesn't stop getting any higher

Guessing we'll get one panel of them doing whatever they're doing before cutting away again.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bobulus posted:

edit: I wonder if server/player connections persist in situations like this. Probably not, because if they did, Team Meteor and Team Battleship could pass messages by writing on John's walls.

Even if the connection held, I think Team Meteor left behind all their installed copied of Sburb and crap when they died.

e: and also each Server can only interact with their Client's houses, which are all with Jade anyway.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 8, 2012

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Please tell me that most of the housetower is completely barren except for an endless staircase the length of a planet.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

clockwork chaos posted:

Please tell me that most of the housetower is completely barren except for an endless staircase the length of a planet.

I can imagine them just flying up the top then jumping off. Then they just use John's windy powers to catch them before they hit the ground (or stop themselves with flying but I think that's a good way to get hurt), or if they smack the floor and die hey! They can just revive.

Either that or they're taking a tumble down the giant staircases and making IT KEEP HAPPENING, which is what I'm guessing you were going for.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

YggiDee posted:

e: and also each Server can only interact with their Client's houses, which are all with Jade anyway.

Well, John and Jade could send messages by writing on the walls, which Rose and Dave, as server players, could see. Rose and Dave could send messages by using the cursor to manipulate objects (fridge magnet letters?) into messages.

But...

YggiDee posted:

Even if the connection held, I think Team Meteor left behind all their installed copied of Sburb and crap when they died.

Oh, right, I forgot that.

Do any of the kids even have a fetch modus right now? John lost his original one when he died, and then got the wallet, which he gave away to WV. He might have picked up Rose's from her corpse. Rose, Dave, and Jade had no opportunity to get a new one when they died. Of course, any of them could probably get someone else to make one for them with the available sburb equipment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jade, at least, still has an inventory of some sort; she took the planets out of them in A6I1. John could probably rig something up with the Modus Control Deck still in his house; it wouldn't be as nice as the wallet, but it's better than nothing.

I don't think we have any reason to assume that Dave and Rose lost theirs at any point. Rose did lose her strife specibus, though.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 8, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eh? Dave and Rose both died, and then woke up as dreamselves and spent the rest of their time on Derse, where there was no way to obtain or craft a new inventory. No one even communicated with them, other than through dreams, because they'd lost their chat devices.

In fact, both were even entirely weaponless until Jadesprite teleported over the sword.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Do any of the kids even have a fetch modus right now? John lost his original one when he died, and then got the wallet, which he gave away to WV. He might have picked up Rose's from her corpse. Rose, Dave, and Jade had no opportunity to get a new one when they died. Of course, any of them could probably get someone else to make one for them with the available sburb equipment.

John and Jade could probably loot their old modus off of their own corpses, since they're still on their respective planet's god tier beds. Furthermore, Jack and PM seemed to develop some kind of green sun-related "pocket" they could use to store things/corpses, so I'd imagine Jade might have the same ability.

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't think we have any reason to assume that Dave and Rose lost theirs at any point. Rose did lose her strife specibus, though.

Rose lost her strife specibus because it was on her corpse, which is also where her modus was. Both she and Dave lost their original bodies, so I assume they also lost all their stuff the same way John and Jade did.

Come to think of it, this is another notch in the belt of "They don't actually need specibus to use their weapons" considering John and Dave did just fine with hammers and swords later on despite losing their inventories.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Their inventories are empty, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have fetch moduses at all.

If a modus is a physical object, then dream selves probably have them, since dream selves often have copies of objects that waking selves own. If a modus is not a physical object, then dream selves and waking selves probably also use the same ones; recall that Jade did have an inventory to put the planets in after her waking self died, although we never saw her retrieve a modus from her corpse on LOFAF.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
They'll be watching non stop Nicholas Cage, I bet. Just seems like a think John would non-ironically do.

Aldo, going back to the kickstarter, if my may, looks like they have gone past the $850,000 mark! So not only will it have Mac support (and hopefully mobile support?) but a new reward tier should be unlocked by now. I wonder what it could be...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Their inventories are empty, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have fetch moduses at all.

If a modus is a physical object, then dream selves probably have them, since dream selves often have copies of objects that waking selves own. If a modus is not a physical object, then dream selves and waking selves probably also use the same ones; recall that Jade did have an inventory to put the planets in after her waking self died, although we never saw her retrieve a modus from her corpse on LOFAF.

I hate to nit-pick, but if you assume that dying empties your inventory but leaves your modus, then Jade had to retrieve something from her corpse, because her corpse's inventory was where the Fourth Wall was, a key part of her escape plan.

She was clearly shown as flying over her own corpse in the battleship, so presumably she could have teleported up her modus / inventory from her corpse the way she teleported John off LOHAC.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno if a fetch modus is something you can alchemize, but if it is, then maybe Rose and Dave could alchemize new ones? Or just take one off one of the dead guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hm, you're right. In Cascade, too, Rose is just carrying the card from the wallet with the Tumor in it in her hand. I think the way sylladices have been presented is a bit too abstract to try to guess at this.

On the other hand, there's no way anybody's lost their modus permanently, because without his, how can Dave have the rap battle which he is destined to have?