Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So I've been playing FFVI. I got to the World of Ruin and I'm really not seeing why people hyped this game up so much. The combat system is okay, but it's nothing really special. The story is decent enough, but I really don't care about a good host of the characters, it's just like Terra, Celes, Sabin and Locke and even Sabin isn't really that prominent. Kefka is not interesting at all, his only defining features are he kills things and laughs... oh and he's a clown, I guess that's a thing. The Empire is dumb, the group doesn't feel much like a closely knit group for the most part, it just seems like you pick up random guys and they cease to become relevant after a while and Ultros is actually really awesome, so there's something.

Also, I hated the scene after the world is blown to poo poo where Celes treats Cid like a grandfather despite us not really even seeing a Cid a lot. If I'm supposed to invest myself into Celes then fair enough, but I honestly do not care about Cid because I barely know him and for Celes to seriously be calling him "Granddad" suddenly because the world has ended is seriously weird. Is this scene supposed to show the two slowly losing their minds at the world around going to hell? Because it would make more sense to me if it were that. I dunno, maybe this game doesn't appeal to me at all or maybe the hype really sort of ruined me on the game, I just don't see why it's so... highly praised?

Big part of it's the aesthetic. Game still looks and sounds really good, even after all these years. The other thing is that the World of Ruin is really cool, not a lot of JRPGs go nonlinear even for a little bit, and it gives you a way to flesh out most of your characters (also get a yeti). Honestly, I'd say you're just getting to the best part of the game right now, so hold off on judging the game for a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So I've been playing FFVI.
It's from an age where a third of the setup was in the instruction manual, a third of it was in the game, and a third of it was you, the player. It's your own opinion whether or not this is how a video game should conduct itself, because these days your characters are spelled out for you so hard that there's absolutely no room for interpretation regardless of how asinine that spelling is--and some players like it like that--and other folks think it's okay to have these almost-characters where it's up to the player to fill in the blanks. Sabin and Edgar are brothers, and that's put right in front of you, but are Cyan and Mog bros 'cause they fight together all the time? That's your conjecture.

Some people consider player input sloppy or unprofessional. I like it, but I understand if it's not your cup of tea.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Celes and Cid's relationship makes sense when you remember that she has magic because she was genetically modified - a product of the experiments done in the magitek lab under Cid's supervision. Cid had most likely known her all her life, even if she was raised in a normal household outside the lab.

FF6 is really overrated though for sure.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
If you can't at least appreciate the music, you have no soul.

But beyond that, it was one of the last FFs where each character had a unique skillset and different equipment options. The skills weren't all just different special effects put on doing damage, either, like a lot of limit breaks of later games. The skills actually help define each character's personality- Sabin is a brawler, so he uses fighting-game moves to do battle; Cyan is a patient swordsman so his skills involve charging up to progressively more powerful sword techniques, etc. The world is still relatively unique with a steam-punky feel. The game is sort of dark, but still knows not to take itself too seriously- there's lots of humor and light moments everywhere. There's also a lot of hidden or optional content- you basically get 0 development for Shadow unless you stumble on it or know where to look.

I could go on about aspects people like about it, but the point is it simply has a different feel from most of the games that came after it, and ends up feeling like the "old school" RPG genre polished to a gritty shine. It's rare to find someone that enjoys the older games in the series that isn't at least fond of VI.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The first image I thought of when I saw Celes was the one from Dangan Ronpa. Whoops.

And I got into FF6 later than the other FFs. I liked it, I didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread, but I can see how it can be thought of as one of the better FFs - the opera scene, while rather mind-numbingly slow now, would have been pretty good back then.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nene. posted:

FF6 is really overrated though for sure.

Yeah, some people think it's even better than 7. Psh, as if.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Kefka is not interesting at all, his only defining features are he kills things and laughs... oh and he's a clown, I guess that's a thing.
There's something in the way he doesn't fly around and be all intimidating and all-knowing like a typical JRPG villain. He's a scheming little weasel who spends half the game being a coward. Instead of summoning the magical dead god world-destroying spell, he's just the dick who would poison a city's water supply.
And there's the fact that by the time he does cheat his way into JRPG power, he actually succeeds at destroying the world.

And Edgar is great. :mad:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
As we all know, every game is the worst game.

Except V. No one really says bad things about it. :shobon:

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

It's important to remember that VI was the best we'd ever seen at the time, and decades later that sense of goodwill hasn't worn off. But yeah its kinda a mess in a lot of ways. You have to realize that when people go on and on about it, most of that is wrapped up in a heaping of nostalgia.

Still a good game! Just... not as good as everyone remembers.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

How dare they.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Being better than VII? Incredibly easy to do, could rattle off a lengthy list.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

If nothing else, VI represents the SNES near the end of it's life cycle (more or less) and VII the beginning of the renascence of the psx.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 8, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Azure_Horizon posted:

A shame VI isn't on that list...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Krad posted:

As we all know, every game is the worst game.

Except V. No one really says bad things about it. :shobon:

That's because V is the best game in the series. :smugbert:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

That's because V is the best game in the series. :smugbert:
Mostly 'cause it has the balls to admit it's nuts.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF6 is a lot like FF7 in that a lot of the characters are pretty hosed up. You've got a half-human half-magic beast teenager who's been brainwashed for a huge chunk of her life simply to kill everything, some guy obsessed with protecting women that preserves his dead girlfriend's corpse, a mercenary who abandons his daughter because he can't deal with his wife and partner's deaths or whatever, a guy who literally watches his entire kingdom and his wife and son die, and a thirteen-year-old boy literally thrown into a monster-infested land as a baby because his father went batshit insane, causing him to be raised by monsters. Even the other, more well-adjusted characters have their not-so-mundane issues as well.

While there are a few characters who don't actually get developed (the two secret characters, Mog who only has a few very minor things that can only be inferred), most of the characters have gone through some deep poo poo that really fucks with some of their heads. The second half of the game is all about trying to fix everyone's problems through side quests and help them get over their emotional baggage so that you can beat up the bad guy. Or, you know, skip all that and beat him with just three characters and all that.

Of course, a big problem is trying to develop the twelve main playable characters, plus the villains and other NPCs, which leads to each character not getting much other than a couple of extra minor details (Hahaha, Cyan's afraid of machines!). Hell, FF4, a game released earlier and that many would say has a rather cliche (but still good) story, does a better job developing the personalities (but not backstories) of its large cast of characters than FF6. That, plus the FF6 cast is for the most part rather detached from each other. You don't get the feeling of cohesion in the party that you do in FF4 or FF5, or hell, even FF7 and its cast of crazy people.

Another thing in FF6's favor is some of the memorable story scenes and how hosed up and traumatic things could get. There's also the rather unique stuff you get to do, like the whole Opera area, the peace talks in Vector, and trying to spark peace talks with the Espers near Thasama. And that doesn't even get to the crazy-rear end stuff that Kefka does, like burning Figaro Castle, poisoning and killing all of Doma, the mass murder of Espers in Thamasa, and destroying the loving world.

The game's most memorable in just how hosed up everything is. You have a NPC whose dream is to build a Coliseum that ends up getting funded by the main villain. You have a perverted octopus who wants nothing more than to cause trouble to your party. You have your noble knight freaking out because he was propositioned by a prostitute. You have one of your main characters attempt suicide because of how bleak the world looks. You know, a bunch of poo poo you'd never have seen in, well, any jRPG before it. That's probably the biggest reason it's so memorable today.

And of course there's the graphics, music, gameplay, and all that, but all they do is set up the theme of "Everything's hosed Up Including The Characters." Even the main gameplay mechanic is Let's learn magic from dead monsters. I'm sure it had a large influence on FF7, which is perhaps even more hosed up and is just as memorable for it.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 8, 2012

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

It's been ages since I played so maybe this is off base, but I feel like the whole game is about maybe two of those things, and the rest of it isn't really explored in any meaningful way, similar to how FF8 just says "teenage mercs, hosed up right? So anyway,"

Like it's there and it's all very interesting if you weave it together yourself, but the game will only concern itself with any one thing for 5 minutes at the end of a sidequest, and then it never affects anything again.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 8, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I keep seeing FFXIII for really cheap in stores lately. Now when it came out I pretty much read the reviews and said "hahaha no thanks" but... it's kind of starting to look tempting. I played them all except XI and XIV, and there's none I didn't like, although the ones I enjoyed most are V to X, broadly speaking. Think it's worth it to pick it up today or will I just sit there after 30 hours going "NOPE STILL poo poo"?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

My Lovely Horse posted:

I keep seeing FFXIII for really cheap in stores lately. Now when it came out I pretty much read the reviews and said "hahaha no thanks" but... it's kind of starting to look tempting. I played them all except XI and XIV, and there's none I didn't like, although the ones I enjoyed most are V to X, broadly speaking. Think it's worth it to pick it up today or will I just sit there after 30 hours going "NOPE STILL poo poo"?

To be honest, if you could find it for ~10bux I would go for it. That is of course if you literally have nothing else to do for 40 hours and want to play a game with a mind numbing linear first half. It's not a horrible game like many will tell you, but I really have to think hard in order to remember anything over the level of "decent" in the game. Some of the music is alright...

edit: Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who was tremendously excited for this game before it came out. I made a thread here and waited anxiously for it to come out. I honestly don't know what I expected from the game. Perhaps it was me misremembering what the series was about, and who it was made for.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 8, 2012

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you've liked every other one I'm 100% sure you'll get something out of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

FFXIII is overly linear and it has a dumb story. It isn't remotely the worst RPG ever released. If you've enjoyed everything that's come before you'll probably find something out of it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Go for it. The gameplay isn't too shabby, albeit, unrefined. And this is from someone who dislikes XIII. Don't worry too much about the garbage plot either.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
Seems like the right place to ask, is the "new remake" of FF7 any different to the original PC version with fan patches and mods?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vulgey posted:

Seems like the right place to ask, is the "new remake" of FF7 any different to the original PC version with fan patches and mods?

No. It's just a port of the PC version with cheevos.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

The first image I thought of when I saw Celes was the one from Dangan Ronpa. Whoops.

And I got into FF6 later than the other FFs. I liked it, I didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread, but I can see how it can be thought of as one of the better FFs - the opera scene, while rather mind-numbingly slow now, would have been pretty good back then.

If you don't sing along to the opera scene in FF6... are you even really alive?

And yeah back then there weren't FMVs and 20 minute long unskippable cutscenes. That kind of pageantry in a video game was unheard of at the time. The concept that players coming back from the newer games might find the Opera slow and dull is completely foreign to me.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

My Lovely Horse posted:

The battle system is pretty awesome, but it's hamstrung by linearity. It's one of the best-looking games on the PS3 and the music is phenomenal. The plot, while stupid, isn't nearly as convoluted as it tries to be.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Boten Anna posted:

And yeah back then there weren't FMVs and 20 minute long unskippable cutscenes. That kind of pageantry in a video game was unheard of at the time. The concept that players coming back from the newer games might find the Opera slow and dull is completely foreign to me.

The Opera Scene was nice, good music, but I didn't take it that seriously because it was very obviously meant to be a shenanigan that was brought about by circumstance. It was even topped off as one by Ultros being its boss and his evil plan being very cartoonish.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Boten Anna posted:

These days I use the Italian script 'cause that was the first one I had actually sung words to sing along to, haha. Amor mio, caro bene, etc.

And man if you're taking games so seriously such that you can't enjoy it when it they take themselves lightly, I just don't know what to tell you. Go back to your "IT'S AN ANCIENT AKKADIAN SUFFIX TAKE ME SERIOUSLYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyy my writing is totally absolutely definitely better than a fourteen-year-old's yup i'm so fuckin' smart and deep mm-hmm" bullshit games I guess.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 8, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, not worth derailing the topic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 8, 2012

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

It's from an age where a third of the setup was in the instruction manual, a third of it was in the game, and a third of it was you, the player. It's your own opinion whether or not this is how a video game should conduct itself, because these days your characters are spelled out for you so hard that there's absolutely no room for interpretation regardless of how asinine that spelling is--and some players like it like that--and other folks think it's okay to have these almost-characters where it's up to the player to fill in the blanks. Sabin and Edgar are brothers, and that's put right in front of you, but are Cyan and Mog bros 'cause they fight together all the time? That's your conjecture.

Some people consider player input sloppy or unprofessional. I like it, but I understand if it's not your cup of tea.

That's a good observation, there was more room for interpretation of characters in VI than in later games. One of the main reasons it's my favorite is probably looking at all Amano's artwork in the booklet and other sources and kind of imagining the story and characters as you played.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno, barring Black Frost and the insane mascot chick, that game was pretty much :smith::smith::smith::smith::smithicide: the entire fuckin' way. Everything else took itself way too seriously (or was annoying anime-cute: not only is "Yoohoo" the most retarded-sounding nickname I've ever heard, but what well-adjusted person keeps doing that every single time they refer to that character?), from the cult to your cousin to the dad and the military police to even the goddamn pop starlet. It's like, they had what, six faces for each character? But you saw the :( one 90% of the time on all of them.

I suppose it doesn't help that, having not read a FAQ, I cornered myself into that lovely "help the cult" storyline--I absolutely hated every single character associated with that faction--on the final day, but that there are characters who aren't abhorrent, or exist as comic relief, doesn't change the fact that the depressingly pretentious cultists were even written in the first place. Someone took pen to paper and said, "This is totally a great idea I am a genius."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 8, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I have no loving clue what is going in this thread anymore or even what game you guys are talking about. I'm assuming it's Earthbound, and that game sucks, but I don't know anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, barring Black Frost and the insane mascot chick, that game was pretty much :smith::smith::smith::smith::smithicide: the entire fuckin' way. Everything else took itself way too seriously (or was annoying anime-cute: not only is "Yoohoo" the most retarded-sounding nickname I've ever heard, but what well-adjusted person keeps doing that every single time they refer to that character?), from the cult to your cousin to the dad and the military police to even the goddamn pop starlet. It's like, they had what, six faces for each character? But you saw the :( one 90% of the time on all of them.

It took itself somewhat seriously but that doesn't really mean the writer thought they were an epic genius and so much smarter then everyone else. It's... like, it's more akin to a pulp novel. Indiana Jones will reference ancient history or whatever but it isn't because it think it is super-smart. It is using it as the basis for an adventure story. (Or in this case, a post-apocalyptic story.)

Himuro posted:

I have no loving clue what is going in this thread anymore or even what game you guys are talking about. I'm assuming it's Earthbound, and that game sucks, but I don't know anymore.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 8, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The White Dragon posted:

I hated that part in VI when I was forced to choose between Law/Neutral/Chaos. My game was glitched and always seemed to pick Chaos for me. :downs:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

How did the convo go from FFVI to Dev Sur?

Dev Sur hardly takes it self seriously. It does on a partial level, like, the anime "isn't this terrible and hosed up?!" kind of serious. It's charming, and fun, and interesting. The game merely takes place in an anime post-apocalyptic Tokyo where you use computers to summon demons and reverse the amount of time you have to live.

If you could take this game seriously, I don't know what to say, but you should probably stop playing jrpgs.

What you're talking about are probably trademark SMT-isms, in which case, you probably have more issues with the general franchise as a whole than just Dev Sur. But I remember you having issues with SMT writing in the past, Dragon. So may I suggest you play FFIX instead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Himuro posted:

This is a good way of telling when someone has very bad video game tastes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

There is a cult in Earthbound, but you bust their leader's skull in with a baseball bat. Also: how the gently caress does anyone hate Earthbound?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Earthbound seemed like it placed a little too much emphasis on being weird and whimsical than actually a good rpg.

I found Mother 3 to be everything Earthbound wasn't: a legitimately great rpg, with an interesting world, brimming with charm, but also with the mechanics and depth to back it up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

It took itself somewhat seriously but that doesn't really mean the writer thought they were an epic genius and so much smarter then everyone else. It's... like, it's more akin to a pulp novel. Indiana Jones will reference ancient history or whatever but it isn't because it think it is super-smart. It is using it as the basis for an adventure story. (Or in this case, a post-apocalyptic story.)
It was that one specific line about Akkadian that really fuckin' soured me to the script. While it was only halfway out of left field, I used to see "lemme pass you some relevant etymology so I sound smarter than I actually am (REGIS MEANS KING IN LATIN :downs:)" all the time in lovely RPGMaker games. There's a difference between a historical fiction setup--Assassin's Creed and of course Indiana Jones like you say both drop history, but they twist 'em with a bit of fiction too, or if it is straight history, they at least ham it up--and dropping historical citations like you're a Wikipedia editor or someshit.

Tangential, but on the topic of historical stuff, I was thinkin' about it recently and I realized why I like those mistranslations like Chupon and Ultros and Midgar or Midgar Zolom: it's because in doing so, they're unintentionally creating their own new mythology. It's like, you see MIDGARDSORM and you just kinda wave 'em away, been there, done that, come up with your own thing for once guys. But you see these mistranslations on monster names that were meant to reference or represent existing mythological creatures or pantheons but now, completely by accident, don't, you throw away any preconceptions you might've had about the monster and you think, "oh man, this is a completely new thing!" It's a little lazy, I guess, but new interpretation of a classic beast, new name, and suddenly, new monster! But I like it best that way for whatever reason.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

Earthbound seemed like it placed a little too much emphasis on being weird and whimsical than actually a good rpg.

I found Mother 3 to be everything Earthbound wasn't: a legitimately great rpg, with an interesting world, brimming with charm, but also with the mechanics and depth to back it up.

Mother 3 was way too pretentious for my taste. I found Earthbound to be a great RPG, though, but I have more tolerance for old-school mechanics (it's meant to be a throwback to Dragon Quest).