Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Penis Ouija posted:

Been doing a reread, and I just got to this page again. There is still nothing not funny about it. Every panel is just gold.

The ripples in Keith's vodka when he's shaking about are really good. It's like he worked from a reference photo just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The next one is even better. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05122006

You ever kill a perch?

The last 5 panels slay me.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
No man can produce quality like that forever. It's why Berke Breathed and Gary Larson and Bill Watterson all quit.

And why their respective authors will still be churning out Doonesbury, Cathy, and Garfield until my grandchildren begin falling down in the bathroom and breaking their hips.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

I'm surprised at how few funny papers comics get carried-on after the writer quits. (In the sense that Spider-Man isn't written by Stan Lee anymore). I think only Blondie and one or two others aren't the original authors anymore, but I could be mistaken.

Not saying I want to see Peanuts or Calvin and Hobbes done by other people, I'm just kind of amazed that it doesn't happen that often.

EDIT: Is there an example of a decent webcomic where the original author retired and someone else picked it up? I know some switch artists every now and again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The next one is even better. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05122006

You ever kill a perch?

And of course the next one where Ray apologizes in his own unique way.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jerusalem posted:

And of course the next one where Ray apologizes in his own unique way.

Baths Only

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Aww, Jesus, the following storyline... I miss Achewood.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dodgeball posted:

Aww, Jesus, the following storyline... I miss Achewood.

:)

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
:siren: New… blog! :siren:

The Christmas party, pt. 2

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I’m not a total shoemaker when it comes to the tender affairs of the ding dong, you know.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dodgeball posted:

I'm surprised at how few funny papers comics get carried-on after the writer quits. (In the sense that Spider-Man isn't written by Stan Lee anymore). I think only Blondie and one or two others aren't the original authors anymore, but I could be mistaken.

There's a ton of them, all the soap opera ones, all the Dik Brown strips, B.C., even Crock had the son take it over for a while before shutting down.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Tenterhooks posted:

This is hilarious!
I don't think Cornelius has ever been that drunk haha

edit: Finished reading, thank you Onstad!

tripwood fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 17, 2012

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Tenterhooks posted:

quote:

he’s seen enough of life to accept the ludicrous as a statistical and therefore forgivable inevitability.

I want this in my epitaph. I know the flow has slowed to a trickle, but man, I'll take it nonetheless.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

quote:

Whatever was about to happen, it was starting to look less like Acapulco party-head and more like Bill somehow having Missionary-style sex with me while Susan deejayed.

God drat when Onstad's funny, he's really funny.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

Tenterhooks posted:

God drat when Onstad's funny, he's really funny.

That line killed me. I can't believe I haven't thought of deejaying as a euphemism for masturbation before

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Pony Incident posted:

That line killed me. I can't believe I haven't thought of deejaying as a euphemism for masturbation before

It's a pretty old euphemism, to be fair.

E: 6th definition, from 2005.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

quote:

Even if you can guess the ending, some shows are worth watching.

This is also epitaph-worthy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sorry to make a new post and raise people's expectations that there might be a new strip (there isn't), but it had been so long since I checked for a new strip that I missed Part 2 of The Christmas Party, and man it was really good. I thought the first half felt a little forced but once Teodor got caught bending over in front of the door and got invited inside to look at strange Dutch records it got really, really good.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
The Teodor bits were really good, and overall it was well-written but Cornelius' dialogue still sounds to me like Onstad's just picking the most obscure entry from Roget's Thesaurus for each word he uses a lot of the time.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I think Ol' Cornelius has been hitting the bottle pretty hard lately. That could explain a lot.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Anybody else know someone who is basically an Achewood character? This is my uncle, and he even habitually wears a robe and always keeps one hand in a pocket. Granted it's because his hand was mangled in an industrial accident when he was younger, but still—Cornelius has always felt familiar to me.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I think we ALL know at least one Todd and/or Lyle.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I know several Pats :(

ohshititsric
Jul 17, 2009
My best friend in High School was pretty much Ray :)

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I'm pretty sure i'm teodor on good days.

On bad, roast beef.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03272009

Did anybody ever figure out Pat's puzzle? Is the answer for "Bostonian" an insult? Cause that seems very Pat-like.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Chowderhead.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Teodor is the original, non glamorized 21st century manchild.

I was always terrified of growing up to be him.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Capsaicin posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03272009

Did anybody ever figure out Pat's puzzle? Is the answer for "Bostonian" an insult? Cause that seems very Pat-like.

Cherrystone - Stonefish(clam?) - Fish(clam?) chowder - chowderhead - Headmaster - masterpiece - piece together - Together Forever

Never even thought to try it before.

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

For Vlad's puzzle, I'm guessing:

rear end HOLE - HOLE PUNCH - PUNCH ME - ME FIRST - FIRST CLASS - CLASS ACTION - ACTION FIGURE

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Diet Poison posted:

Cherrystone - Stonefish(clam?) - Fish(clam?) chowder - chowderhead - Headmaster - masterpiece - piece together - Together Forever
It's cherrystone clam -> clam chowder -> then the rest like you say.

Vlad's is, of course, better puzzle. And also being more accurate.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Man, Vlad's puzzle is actually really fun. One could theoretically make a program to randomly generate these things if one was willing to spend time on it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Reading through the great outdoor fight and saw the panel that had a website listed. Checked out greatoutdoorfight.com and was pretty disappointed. Was there ever a mock website put up?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

N. Senada posted:

Reading through the great outdoor fight and saw the panel that had a website listed. Checked out greatoutdoorfight.com and was pretty disappointed. Was there ever a mock website put up?

One went up but it was completely fan-made and as a result the quality varied hugely. When the first Dark Horse book came out, Onstad included a lot of extra background GOF info that was very entertaining.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Jerusalem posted:

One went up but it was completely fan-made and as a result the quality varied hugely. When the first Dark Horse book came out, Onstad included a lot of extra background GOF info that was very entertaining.

So the stuff in the Dark Horse book is 'canon'? I saw that he included a thanks to some website or something like that in that section of background info, and I didn't know if the dedication was to a real webmaster of that fan made site, or to someone fictional.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

All three Achewood HCs have a good bit of bonus material.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

For those of you looking for the original cookbook, its now up on the honor club page.

quote:

Achewood: The original cookbook, another 'zine, and two more chapbooks just added to the Honor System Shop! Go read! http://bit.ly/MmWMRX

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Chococat posted:

For those of you looking for the original cookbook, its now up on the honor club page.

Yesssssss

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What about the second cookbook, though, any word on that???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

What about the second cookbook, though, any word on that???????
New cookbook should be up next week.