Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I was getting pretty impatient looking for my DRZ on CL too. The only ones that stayed up for more than a day had tons of miles or a crazy price. Try a CL app with alerts, or figure out their RSS feed. That's how I finally snagged a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Potato Sheriff posted:

He sent a ton of up close pictures which included where the little scrapes were, and texted me over the course of a few hours. It seems legit enough I think.

I wish these bikes were more common. There are a lot of DRZ400S's but hardly no SM's. Is it that much different of a ride? Is the suspension set up better for street travel? I would be doing 95% road travel. I assume I could buy better street tires for the S series, but would maybe need different wheels to get a 'pure' street tire like the Pilots.

There really arent any new SM's being imported to the states, and people still want them. So when they come up, they go quick, and go expensive. People are also hanging on to them, so less are coming up. Tons of people complain that even DRZ's and WRX's are holding their value more than they should, to say nothing of used KTM's, Huskies and the like, which are even more expensive.

The SM is different than the S in a few ways, but they're big ones. The S is a true on/off-road bike, the SM is really geared towards the street but can go offroad. The SM has sportbike sized wheels and takes sportbike rubber. It has upside down forks off the RM dirtbike valved for street use, a bigger front brake, and a shorter swingarm to name the big ones.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 7, 2012

Potato Sheriff
Aug 7, 2004

I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There really arent any new SM's being imported to the states, and people still want them. So when they come up, they go quick, and go expensive. People are also hanging on to them, so less are coming up.

The SM is different than the S in a few ways, but they're big ones. The S is a true on/off-road bike, the SM is really geared towards the street but can go offroad.

This one is going for $4k, and he said he's not taking any lower. That's a pretty good price for my area too. Others are going for 4500, one with low miles i saw is 5300, and another is 5500. All prices you could probably knock down some, but not a lot. I'm in south Georgia, and I'm including looking at north Florida and around the Atlanta area.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

DRZs are pretty drat expensive. Once you're at the $4-5k mark I'm not sure why you guys aren't just looking into a heavily modified 625 SMC?

When you think about just how bare bones super motos are and what we're paying for them it's pretty ridiculous just how overpriced they are. I mean a new 690 SMC is what? $9-10k? And like any other motorcycle they don't depreciate at all.

Granted, we're all little kids that love riding around like idiots so we're suckers :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its a market completely lopsided towards demand with very little supply. I bet the prices will get crazier as the last of the fresh newer supermotos crosses over that blurry line into "old", then it will settle down a bit, but who knows when that will be.

You could get DRZ SM's in the US up until 09 or 10, 690s ran into what, 10 or 11? WRXs ran till 11 I believe. Youre seeing the reaction to an already tiny market that contracted to zero in the span of a year.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

U.S. is getting a 2012? 13? SMC-R? I think.

:shlick:

http://motorride.net/news/supermoto-profile-series-2012-ktm-690-smcr.html

On the other hand, I bet KTM Dukes are cheap....no one wants those.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don't think its coming here (haven't seen anything solid on that) but if/when it does... I'll be there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I'm pretty sure those aren't coming to the US

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Probably Hates You posted:

EDIT:

I'll have to take a look at some of the documents the PO gave me when I bought the bike but I believe a wiring diagram was included in the files. I'll take a look for you tomorrow evening and post what I find out.

Any luck on this? I've asked on Supermoto Junkie and KTMTalk and haven't gotten any responses.

I guess if all else fails I'm gonna dive in blind with my trusty multimeter and try to sort it out on my own.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
If only KTM did a "European Delivery" thing like the euro car companies...

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Any luck on this? I've asked on Supermoto Junkie and KTMTalk and haven't gotten any responses.

I guess if all else fails I'm gonna dive in blind with my trusty multimeter and try to sort it out on my own.

I sent you a PM earlier but I guess you don't have plat. I spent a good 45min to an hour looking through everything and couldn't find it. I'll continue to look but don't hold your breath.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

I sent you a PM earlier but I guess you don't have plat. I spent a good 45min to an hour looking through everything and couldn't find it. I'll continue to look but don't hold your breath.

Sorry, no plat, but you can email me at my user name @ gmail.

Edit: I got a snarky response in Supermotojunkie telling me that all of the wiring diagrams were in the back of the "Service Manual". I'm not sure if they mean a 625 SMC specific manual or something else. Are there bike specific FSMs floating around somewhere?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 8, 2012

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Welp, my SM'ed DR-Z400E has been down for it's second time. And this was more traumatic than the first time. I'd let my sister ride it across town, and she was brilliant for the first few miles. Stopped at some traffic lights and she relaxed, forgot that this wasnae her normal ER-5.

Promptly wheelied off the line, 12 o'clocked it in the middle of the intersection. She's all right, few bruises. The bike's tailpiece has been snapped off, light dangling (didn't have indicators anyway) and I rode home with the cracked number plate duck taped to my backpack.

Amusingly we were coming back from getting a new number plate for one of my other bikes.

Any good suggestions for tail kits? Doesn't require indicators, but I'm not going to object if I have to put them on. Also, realised I ought to get frame sliders or some such protection

*edit* I'm in the UK, if that changes websites used, shipping or availability

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Orange Someone posted:

Any good suggestions for tail kits? Doesn't require indicators, but I'm not going to object if I have to put them on. Also, realised I ought to get frame sliders or some such protection

*edit* I'm in the UK, if that changes websites used, shipping or availability

DRC Edge is the best one out there.

MetaJew posted:

Sorry, no plat, but you can email me at my user name @ gmail.

Edit: I got a snarky response in Supermotojunkie telling me that all of the wiring diagrams were in the back of the "Service Manual". I'm not sure if they mean a 625 SMC specific manual or something else. Are there bike specific FSMs floating around somewhere?

I think you get banned at SMJ if you provide anything other than a snarky response.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think you get banned at SMJ if you provide anything other than a snarky response.

I hate the world.

Also, d'oh! I forgot to buy the gasket for the stator cover. To the KTM dealership, and then hopefully fixing my bike.

I need to make a link pipe and install a new air filter, also. Do any of you guys know of an especially cheap place to buy 2.5" diameter silicone intake pipe/hose , maybe a cylindrical air filter, and something to link those two things together?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

DRC Edge is the best one out there.

Thanks. I got that impression from looking around the net. Since it's an E, it doesn't have a metal subframe under the tail. The previous tail kit was/is just screwed on to the plastic. Can someone with an actual S/SM confirm/deny that I need that frame?

Also, from what I can see, the Edge 2 is miles easier to acquire, but some places say the Edge is specifically designed for the DRZ. And then some places say the E needs the Edge 2. I don't know any more.

Argh, I don't even care about the indicators, I just want to ride. I need to get back out there. I wish I could just fix it. My other bike has just run out of MOT without me noticing.

And I've got a few weeks of working from home. Goddammit, let me ride!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Low balled this guy $6,800. I'm not in the area for 2 weeks but he said if I go up a bit we can work something out. What do you guys think?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/3252581926.html

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
This is the post where I introduce you to my new WR450:

It's awesome, I love everything about it. Got it Thursday night, road around. Friday road to work and took the long way home. Today I got to take it up Boulder Canyon and off some side roads as well (Gold hill if know the area around Boulder CO) Holy poo poo. This bike is so fast around turns it is crazy. I have no working speedo so I don't know how fast I was riding but is feel 2x faster then I have ever been on my SV. It probably was not, but man it felt fast. I could have gone a lot faster as well if I had no common sense or was squidy. I started to hang my front leg down MX style in the tight stuff, it felt so cool. Dirt! Dirt roads I would never take my SV on were my playgound. I must have spent a good 10 15 miles dicking around on the dirt. Felt like a little kid.

I keep thinking, no matter how impractical this bike is I made a good choice. Only rode it 3 -4 times and it is already more fun then anyother bike I have owned.

It's really hard to write this post, see below

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 9, 2012

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

spandexcajun posted:

how impractical this bike is I made a good choice.

This is the post where I cry like a little girl.

Pretty sure my topend is gone... I was back in town going 30 - 40mph down a road and the bike dies. Thinking not much of it, I pull over to a medium and try to restart. The battery has been dead so I have been kicking it over, but all the riding had the battery charged a bit so I try to fire it up. Then I think, could I be out of fuel? It was running a little spotty I guess and I have had a FI bike so long I don't think about the petcock reserve until just then. Swap to reserve and start kicking since the battery is dead again.... sort of puts up then dies a few times. Then it is really hard to kick. I am 220lbs, more with gear on and I can't get it over. I put it in like 4th or 5th gear to roll it and it's really hard. But, hey, this is a high compression racing engine so it's all good. Kick and fire it up, on the throttle and down the road. For a block or two. Then the same thing. I get it started again and after, I guess 30 seconds or so (at this point I am little fuzzy because I was hot as hell in my one peace leathers hemet gloves boots and had been kicking the bike over on and off for 5 minutes) it runs really crappy and sounds like an engine should not sound. Clanking metal on metal. I think I heard 2 - 3 good clanks, then killed it. They were not super loud, but nothing that it should have sounded like. And it hits me, my jokes about my engine exploding are likely coming true on the 3rd day of owning my bike :(

Lucky me, I have a friend with a trunk who is close and he comes to pick me up, we drop the bike off at Colorado Power sports Boulder, I have gone to the Thornton store for years and it's the same owners so I hope they do me right... 2 hours shop labor to get a look around the topend and see whats what. Wish me luck, I should know the damages Tuesday or Wednesday. Guy said a full topend rebuild is around $1100 - 1500. Trying to be nice, he said "Wait until we see whats what, it may not be so bad" I hope I turned if off soon enough to mitigate any really back damage. I was still running so that is good right?

I was not even going to ride this weekend. I was going to take it to the shop on Monday and have them check valves and give it a once over. Mom called and said "Bring the kids over (my kids), go for a ride on your new bike!" Thanks Mom.

TL;DR My new WR450 most likely sent is valves through the piston or something equally bad and I am not happy :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Well, good news is they're very easy to work on and parts are plentiful. When it's sorted, you'll know the bike really does have a 'fresh rebuild' and it will be trouble free for a long time to come. It sucks but take it as an opportunity to improve on what you already have. It'll rise again, and you'll love every minute. Sometimes relationships have a bit of a rough start...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

spandexcajun posted:

Man, that sucks.
Third day riding? Makes me wonder if the PO knew what was up and was just trying to unload it before the wallet pain hit. I'd definitely inquire, and push to share the cost of whatever out of the proceeds from the sale.

Shoulda got that DRZ. Then we could be North Denver DRZ buddies.

Also, Colorado Powersports can suck my loving left nut. The school that is affiliated with the shop? These guys from the MSF thread.

Jabs posted:

I'm actually really super pissed at the school my sweetie went to for her MSF here in Denver - especially when I compare the experience she described to the experience I had at a different school just up the road in Erie. She went in a little unprepared, having not been on a bicycle in perhaps 15 years, but totally stoked about getting a bike and riding with me. She was looking at a TW200, and the school was recommended as having a TON of TW200s. They put her on a TU250, said it was too tall. Put her on a TW200. It was shorter (narrower), but still "too tall" (she said she felt comfortable, but being honest was still on the balls of her feet, and not flat footed). Then they put her on an Eliminator 125. Which she dumped turning it around after the duckwalk. They cut her at that point, and recommended a reschedule.
She went back with enthusiasm to a smaller Wednesday course, where she dumped the E125 again, another unspecified bike, and the scooter. The instructor's parting shot was that she should probably get used to the idea of being the passenger on the back. :argh:

Now she can't even sit on a bike (motor or pedal) without nearly bursting into tears. I'm furious and heartbroken at the same time.

Any suggestions on stepping stones back to enthusiasm?
My own experiences have been:
:psyduck: Can you sell me a new tube and put this tire on this rim for me? I've pinchflatted the drat thing FOUR TIMES so far.
:haw: Uh, we're busy today. We can get this done for you by COB Tuesday, however.
:psyduck: Really? I can get the drat thing off and back on in 10 minutes with hand tools, surely it'll take you less time?
:haw: Yeah, but then we'd have to bump someone else to fit you in.
:psyduck: Fine. Have it for me Tuesday.
:psyboom:

:psyduck: Can you sell me this new chain and shorten it to 110 links?
:haw: We can sell it to you, but you'll have to take it home, measure it, mark it, and bring it back for us to do that.
:psyduck: Really? You can't cut it to the links listed in the manual?
:haw: Well, we *could*, but then you'd bring it back to us saying we did it wrong.
:psyduck: Couldn't I also say that if I marked it wrong? I mean...say you cut it wrong, and not on my mark?
:haw: Well, I suppose you could...

3#
:psyduck: Do you have this part (screws for the DRZ radiator shrouds)?
:haw: Lemme look (gone 10 minutes) Nope. But I can order them for you..they'll be... $32 for the screws and fittings. And they'll be here in a week.
:psyduck: Really? You don't just have a stock of various metric screws you might sell me 6 out of ?
:haw: Well, we have that, but they're not for sale. Might check Ace Hardware.
:psyduck: Goes to Ace Hardware. Gets the right screws for under a buck.

Go to Sun Enterprises on Washington Street.
When I took the DRZ wheels to have tires put on, on a BUSY Saturday afternoon, they asked me to have a look around the shop while I waited.
Two tires, mounted and balanced, ~$60, 15 minutes.
Every time I go to Sun, I have a great experience.

gently caress Colorado Powersports painfully in every orifice. Repeatedly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spandexcajun posted:

Man, its sooooooooooo tempting, but I wont do it. :fella:

For real though that sucks, hopefully you can get it back together for some sort of reasonable price

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Salute those who are willing to reach for the stars.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Major bummer about the WR :( It looks like YZF/WR450 engines go for ~1400-3000 on ebay. Just something to keep in mind.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Good news everyone! I got my wiring cleaned up, the ignition lock back in, and my starter motor works!

Now, for the fun. I just drained the oil and noticed little shavings in the oil and on the drain plug magnet. People on other forums claim this is normal, as long as they aren't huge. (Horrifying!) Either way, next up is to pull the stator cover, flywheel and get the sprag clutch, freewheel and associated gears back in and hopefully I'll be good to go.

Have any of you lc4 guys cleaned and serviced the carb? I think mine could use a good cleaning.

(I'm really excited that the wiring was intact, for the most part.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gullous posted:

Major bummer about the WR :( It looks like YZF/WR450 engines go for ~1400-3000 on ebay. Just something to keep in mind.

That was my thought too, I'd look for a low mileage ebay motor. If you fix the top-end on your current motor, that doesnt mean the crank or trans or whatever isnt about to poo poo the bed as well.

Not that an eBay motor cant be a lemon, but if you get a low mileage/hours one, the odds are more in your favor

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

Well, good news is they're very easy to work on and parts are plentiful. When it's sorted, you'll know the bike really does have a 'fresh rebuild' and it will be trouble free for a long time to come. It sucks but take it as an opportunity to improve on what you already have. It'll rise again, and you'll love every minute. Sometimes relationships have a bit of a rough start...

This is what I am hoping. Not sure why but Im still thinking positive about this whole thing, perhaps it's since it was such a fun ride and only broke-down at the end. I did have around $1000 budget for larger gas tank, rear rack, shop tuneup, new rotor, sprockets, new trail computer, etc... so I'm not totally screwed. I guess I will just hold out until I hear back from the shop. If it was super bad I would guess the motor would not run at all so perhaps it's not to bad. I don't know a lot about engine failures but I do know all the basics of how an engine works. So, what would go bad on a engine like this? Failed timing chain or the chain slipped a sprocket causes cams to go wonky and valves get out of whack? Just a guess, sort of pulling that out of my rear end. I think topend since it was still in gear and running putting power to the wheels when I turned it off. Tranny still shifted no problem after it was off.

Jabs, not sure if you remember but my son and I rode our bikes to your house around two years ago to help you work on the forks on your KLR. Did not help much, just hung out with you and a few other goons I did not know. Nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time with CPS. I have had pretty much the exact opposite experience. I also have never got good vibs from SUN, never had work done from them, I just never liked anyone I talked to at the place. I guess you find good and bad people everywhere.

No need for the I told you so's, I have been doing it plenty to myself for the last few hours :) I did hug my SV when I got home, she never let me down, not once in 4 years. Keeping my chin up, I'll just drink lots for the next few days.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
This is the reason racebikes are not suggested as sumo's that often unless you really know what you're getting into. Even in the best case scenario where you know when the PO checked the valves you just never know when such a high strung motor is gonna let go.

You can say the same about sportbikes I guess but it's much less frequent when they give out compared to a motocross bike being ridden hard on the street.

Good luck with the fix! Let us know what they say.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Time to get caught up on posts. I've spent the past few days pulling 12-13 hour riding sessions on the new bike and have such a boner right now.

MetaJew posted:

Good news everyone! I got my wiring cleaned up, the ignition lock back in, and my starter motor works!

Excellent! Sorry I couldn't have been more help, I just checked the back of my factory repair manual and yep, pages of wiring diagrams! :argh:

spandexcajun posted:

I bought a bike... It promptly blew up

gently caress, this seriously bums me out to hear dude. You were so excited! :smith:
I'm with Jabs on the thought that the PO sold you a lemon. I'd go back there and kick his poo poo in with the force of a thousand supernova dicks.

Christoff posted:

Low balled this guy $6,800. I'm not in the area for 2 weeks but he said if I go up a bit we can work something out. What do you guys think?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/3252581926.html

I'd do it, but only if he'll take 7 grand for it. Anything more than that and I think it's a bit unreasonable. Sure, 690s are great bikes, but for what you can get for less than 7 grand It's a bit much imo.

The prices in socal for DRZs and 690s are absolutely absurd! 7 grand is enough to get a perfect condition 625, do everything you want to it, and still have money left over.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The prices in socal for DRZs and 690s are absolutely absurd! 7 grand is enough to get a perfect condition 625, do everything you want to it, and still have money left over.

It seems DRZs go for 3,500-4,000. No more, no less.

KTM 625s and the likes never drop below $4,000 it seems.

Every 2008 + 690 SMC I've seen is AT LEAST $6,000. There was one with like 20k miles on it for $5k I think.

The only thing that makes $7kish reasonable are the mods. Not that mods add value but it's some decent goodies. I just hate the red bull decal bullshit. I like the decals otherwise just wish it didn't have the loving MONSTER ENERGY DRINK BRO billboard aspect to it. Seems KTM decals are easy to find online since I see a ton of different styles.

I'm almost considering a heavily modified 625 SMC but I like a 6th gear, fuel injection, and the highway friendliness.

Couple questions: How hard is it to get passenger pegs for the SMC?

And do they make frame sliders? I don't remember ever seeing frame sliders for any KTM. I know there's always axle/spool sliders. Want to protect my investment.

All I can find - http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5911/

Do I need peg sliders? gently caress, just tell me what all protection I should get.

-edit \/ - Oh ok, thanks.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 9, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
There's no need for them. The handguards and swing arm / axle sliders should have you covered.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Time to get caught up on posts. I've spent the past few days pulling 12-13 hour riding sessions on the new bike and have such a boner right now.

Excellent! Sorry I couldn't have been more help, I just checked the back of my factory repair manual and yep, pages of wiring diagrams! :argh:

Yeah, I found the diagrams in the back of my LC4 manual, upon closer inspection-- but it only goes up to 2003 and doesn't include the 625 smc. The '03 625 SXC was nearly the same as what I saw on my bike and I managed to work from there.

I discovered that I definitely need an impact wrench to get the flywheel nut off of my bike. KTM refers to some random special spanner to hold the crank/flywheel in place, but I'm sure it's $400 and shipped directly from Austria.

Any suggestions on electric impact wrenches? Preferably corded, since battery packs are still garbage. (And don't say Harbor Freight, I bought one of theirs and immediately returned it when it couldn't break free any bolts in the rear suspension on my 240sx.)

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

MetaJew posted:

I discovered that I definitely need an impact wrench to get the flywheel nut off of my bike. KTM refers to some random special spanner to hold the crank/flywheel in place, but I'm sure it's $400 and shipped directly from Austria.

You might be able to use one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RELEASE-Motorcycle-Motorbike-FLYWHEEL-Pulley-Holder-/180691066851

I'm sure harbor freight probably has an equivalent.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
If anyone is looking for a 09 KTM 690 SMC in the midwest let me know... Mine will be going up for sale shortly, would rather it goes to a fellow CA'er

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anymore info?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
09 690SMC, located in Iowa (but have a trailer and vacation to burn :) ), less than 4k miles, needs a new rear tire (still on OEMs), minor lowside right after I got it but in great shape. only things that show the lowside are the throttle cable housing and a little rip on the grip. I have a spare set of complete plastics for the bike as well. PM me for price

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

spandexcajun posted:

Jabs, not sure if you remember but my son and I rode our bikes to your house around two years ago to help you work on the forks on your KLR. Did not help much, just hung out with you and a few other goons I did not know.
I was wondering if that was you. You changed your username. I still have it in my phone as C**** (redacted, I dunno if you're one a them funny about your name goons or not) Shanky.
It was me, Sklnd, aaaand...I can't remember who. Sklnd brought his KLR, and the other goon was in his pickup.

Or was it you, Shanky, Sklnd, and me?

So confused.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Well today I made some sort of good progress. I picked up a corded-electric, Dewalt impact wrench from Home Depot and a set of impact sockets from Harbor Freight and went to town. The impact wrench took off the reverse-threaded flywheel nut without a problem. However, the Motion Pro flywheel puller I ordered turned out to be the incorrect size and did not fit the LC4 despite people telling me otherwise. Hopefully I can return this and get my $20 back.

I ended up using a two jaw puller to remove the flywheel. After a little sketchiness it popped right off. I got the sprag clutch back into the flywheel, the freewheel, reduction gear and associated needle bearings in place, and then put the flywheel back on. Again, I didn't have a special tool to lock the flywheel in place to torque it down, so hopefully a 2-3 count pulse of the impact wrench will hold the flywheel bolt on tight.

I also, dismounted the old rear tire and popped in a fresh tube and a 150 BT-003rs tire, along with a new Galfer rear brake rotor.

Here are some photos, and captions.

Oh dear god, that's a lot of metal:

Ignition and flywheel covers off.

Checking out the stator. There was some wear on the inner surface of the flywheel and the perimeter of the stator. I hope that's normal. :/

Flywheel off and putting everything together.

New rear brake rotor

Fresh tire and chain clearance!

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 10, 2012

Jerk n Clean
Aug 29, 2012
Does anyone have a PDF of a DRZ manual I could have? Googling has netted me nil, and I want to strip the bike down before summer hits in earnest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

Jerk n Clean posted:

Does anyone have a PDF of a DRZ manual I could have? Googling has netted me nil, and I want to strip the bike down before summer hits in earnest.

If you post your email I may have something for you, I don't have pm's.

• Locked thread