Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

ErIog posted:

Andy would just say that "liberal rape" is redundant since rape is against conservative values, and so therefore it's an inherently liberal concept.

"Liberal deceit" is also redundant by the same logic. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I just wanted everyone to know that I REALLY wanted to contribute one new article to this thread that we could all laugh at and be scared by etc.... but there are TOO MANY! I have TEN open tabs right now and I can’t pick which one will earn me the most invisible internet goon points because I’m too busy being outright frighten by the fact that there must be people here who come to this website and go 'ah yes, these are the real facts. loving liberals.’ I mean for fucks sake no wonder the political discourse in this country has gone to hell. For example:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Social_justice

The whole explanation about how Jesus was really in favor of letting the poor and weak: Handle them own drat selves and stop being pussys like he is some sort of Texan stereotype is such a disparity away form their own religious documents that I just have no idea how the Christian right arrived at it. gently caress.

Fake Edit: The Obama article alone made me eat Tylenol like they were tic-tacs.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Don't touch the poop man. You win no points that way.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

AcidRonin posted:

The whole explanation about how Jesus was really in favor of letting the poor and weak: Handle them own drat selves and stop being pussys like he is some sort of Texan stereotype is such a disparity away form their own religious documents that I just have no idea how the Christian right arrived at it. gently caress.
Prosperity gospel is one possibility. The inverse of "if you and God love each other you will be rich" is "if you and God hate each other you will be poor".

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

kissekatt posted:

Prosperity gospel is one possibility. The inverse of "if you and God love each other you will be rich" is "if you and God hate each other you will be poor".

God must really hate devout sub-saharan African christians.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

kissekatt posted:

And as it has been since the days of Constantine, Christianity in the hands of the powerful is always and ever a means by which they can centralize and justify their continued power and authority.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

kanonvandekempen posted:

God must really hate devout sub-saharan African christians.

You're making this argument ironically, but there's a decent number of people who actually believe exactly what you just wrote.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

And as it has been since the days of Constantine, Christianity in the hands of the powerful is always and ever a means by which they can centralize and justify their continued power and authority.

Those Romans were on to something when they co-opted a decentralized religion of passivisism and turned into a creed for the conquest of the world.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Well if they wanted to not be starving then they shouldn't have let their ancestor Ham see his father in his nakedness.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

http://conservapedia.com/RINO_Backers

Absolutely wonderful. Read the talk page.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

quote:

Most would agree that a rate of only 1 out of 50 is "really rare." That's the published scientific rate for pregnancy from rape, but pro-aborts like Barack Obama and even some RINOs like Mitch McConnell and Karl Rove try to expel conservative Todd Akin for mentioning this scientific fact.

I guess Akin's right, given that the estimated rate of pregnancy from unprotected sex at any random time is, uh, about 2.5%.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Parahexavoctal posted:

It's stuff like this that brings warmth to my heart. So many conservatives called out I can practically smell the infighting.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

It's like the No True Scotsman fallacy taken to its inevitable conclusion of No True Scotsmen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Black Griffon posted:

It's stuff like this that brings warmth to my heart. So many conservatives called out I can practically smell the infighting.

Also once again proving that Victoria Jackson is completely fucken batshit insane.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

"I know people, because I’m 53."
- Victoria Jackson

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Parahexavoctal posted:

Oh god this is amazing.

quote:

Most of the RINO Backers have not been elected. Of those who have, one quit her office midterm (Palin), one did not stand for reelection (Romney), one is a freshman senator who had not been to D.C. before (Johnson), and another declined to run for an open seat for statewide office (Ryan). This list of RINO Backers is hardly representative of the Republican Party itself.--Andy Schlafly 15:15, 25 August 2012 (EDT)

The republican Presidential nominee, Vice Presidential nominee and the RNC chairman are RINOs. There are no Republicans.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

TinTower posted:

I guess Akin's right, given that the estimated rate of pregnancy from unprotected sex at any random time is, uh, about 2.5%.

Exactly. It's another great example of people abusing statistics for their own ends and the majority of the populace being too dumb, ill-educated, in ideological agreement, and otherwise unwilling/incapable of even questioning what they're told, let alone recognizing they're being lied to.

I mean, I know I'm preaching to the choir here and that this propensity to lie is already patently obvious (just look at how Republicans made an out of context lie about what Obama actually said the theme of their convention), but it just pisses me off to no end seeing people abuse and lie about empirical facts like this to support ideas/principles that are already offensive on their faces.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Wait, Tony Sidaway is a Conservapedian now? That's, erm... that's certainly a thing.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait, Tony Sidaway is a Conservapedian now? That's, erm... that's certainly a thing.

Tony Sidaway is doing something wonderful on Conservapedia. He's carefully and politely following all the rules, and not arguing with Andy. He's absolutely positively not vandalizing. And yet... what he posts is very different from most of what's on Conservapedia. Very, very, very different.

(Tony Sidaway has something of a reputation on Wikipedia. If you don't know that reputation, you won't be stunned like goddamnedtwisto was.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Parahexavoctal posted:

Tony Sidaway is doing something wonderful on Conservapedia. He's carefully and politely following all the rules, and not arguing with Andy. He's absolutely positively not vandalizing. And yet... what he posts is very different from most of what's on Conservapedia. Very, very, very different.

(Tony Sidaway has something of a reputation on Wikipedia. If you don't know that reputation, you won't be stunned like goddamnedtwisto was.)

I never would have pegged him for a Conservapedia editor. From what I can remember he was definitely leftist and possibly transgendered.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Parahexavoctal posted:

Explain it for those of us who don't keep up with the latest wiki drama?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Toffile posted:

I never would have pegged him for a Conservapedia editor. From what I can remember he was definitely leftist and possibly transgendered.

Tony's not transgendered, but he's very trans-friendly. Very, very, very trans-friendly. And very leftist. ( His userpage has some useful links.)

Which is why what he's doing on Conservapedia is so fascinating. He's not doing anything that could be perceived as vandalism. He's being a productive editor. And yet... it's not what you'd think a Conservapedia editor would do. Not at all.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

"I know people, because I’m 53."
- Victoria Jackson

The full quote is even better:

“The Todd Akin thing was so blown out of proportion — it’s a joke. How many times do people get pregnant from rape? It’s point zero zero one percent. It’s a joke. I read lots of articles. I know people, because I’m 53. I’ve know a lot of people, and I’ve actually never known anyone who got pregnant from being raped.”

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Kubrick posted:

The full quote is even better:

“The Todd Akin thing was so blown out of proportion — it’s a joke. How many times do people get pregnant from rape? It’s point zero zero one percent. It’s a joke. I read lots of articles. I know people, because I’m 53. I’ve know a lot of people, and I’ve actually never known anyone who got pregnant from being raped.”

This whole Victoria Jackson thing was to blown out of proportion, its a joke. How many people from SNL go on to be hardcore partisan neocons? It's point zero zero percent. It's a joke. I've raed a lot of articles. I know people, because I don't live in a cave on an island by myself. I've know a lot of people, and I've actually never know anyone who left SNL to become a retarded partisan neocon.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I can't believe the "rape doesn't lead to pregnancy" thing is a talking point now. Even by women neocons. Can't you guys go back to something less horrific like union shaming or complaining about the big bad tax Obamacare has on hard working Americans? Sheesh.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
You forgot to mention the part where she says the baby has "its own" DNA, which is neither hers, nor the rapist's.

I think just the fact that it would be Victoria Jackson's baby would be bad enough, personally.

As for rape not resulting in pregnancy, Victoria Jackson needs to tell that to my Viking-laden family tree.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Bruce Leroy posted:

Exactly. It's another great example of people abusing statistics for their own ends and the majority of the populace being too dumb, ill-educated, in ideological agreement, and otherwise unwilling/incapable of even questioning what they're told, let alone recognizing they're being lied to.

Every time I read something like this a small alarm goes off in my head. From my experiences of reading freep, internet comments, and real life experience, this is pretty much what conservatives think of liberals (or whatever you identify as here.) Now I know we have stuff like evidence, but I feel the whole "He who fights monsters should make sure he himself does not become one" quote is valid here.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train

Tartarus Sauce posted:

You forgot to mention the part where she says the baby has "its own" DNA, which is neither hers, nor the rapist's.

It's true! It's both! Rape is a PBNJ!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Creationists present better arguments than the "rape doesn't call pregnancy" advocates.

I'm waiting for some, possible southern, state Senator to propose a law called "she was asking for it" where a man cannot be held responsible for getting raped if she dresses, acts or says anything that gives men boners.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

modig posted:

This whole Victoria Jackson thing was to blown out of proportion, its a joke. How many people from SNL go on to be hardcore partisan neocons? It's point zero zero percent. It's a joke. I've raed a lot of articles. I know people, because I don't live in a cave on an island by myself. I've know a lot of people, and I've actually never know anyone who left SNL to become a retarded partisan neocon.

I started watching SNL as a very young kid (maybe 4 years old) and I always wondered why Victoria Jackson was on the show. At the time I guess I thought it was just over my head, but even that explanation bothered me because I didn't have trouble getting any of the other jokes. She was just awful and it seems fitting that someone so unfunny could be such a crazy shitbag in other respects.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Tony's not transgendered, but he's very trans-friendly. Very, very, very trans-friendly. And very leftist. ( His userpage has some useful links.)

Which is why what he's doing on Conservapedia is so fascinating. He's not doing anything that could be perceived as vandalism. He's being a productive editor. And yet... it's not what you'd think a Conservapedia editor would do. Not at all.

Could you give an example of what he's done on Conservapedia that fits this?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Every time I read something like this a small alarm goes off in my head. From my experiences of reading freep, internet comments, and real life experience, this is pretty much what conservatives think of liberals (or whatever you identify as here.) Now I know we have stuff like evidence, but I feel the whole "He who fights monsters should make sure he himself does not become one" quote is valid here.

So, what you're saying is that there's actual evidence supporting my position and not for the converse (i.e. liberals doing the same thing for which I'm criticizing conservatives and Republicans), but I should still be wary of becoming like the people I'm criticizing? From what basis do you draw such caution?

And you're posting this in the Conservapedia thread?

Do you really not see my point is that I'm acknowledging this is the same thing as what conservatives say of liberals, but the things they are using as evidence for their positions are boldfaced lies or obvious abuses of statistics? They are claiming liberals and pro-choice people in general are lying about the pregnancy rate for rape and are fact deficient, but they abuse statistics to make this point, hence my criticism.

Why do you feel the need to perpetuate a false equivalency here, especially since you even admit the evidence is pretty one-sided? Is it just for the sake of some misdirected and unnecessary moderation or balance?

Look, I'm not saying Democrats or liberals never lie or stretch the truth, just that it's of a qualitatively different character from what Republicans and conservatives are doing, as seen in them using an out of context lie about what Obama said as the theme to their national convention where they officially nominated Romney for president, as I previously noted in the comment to which you were responding. This is especially true for the kind of conservatives we're discussing in this thread, i.e. Conservapedians, who are Young Earth Creationism, global warming denialists, birthers, and other fact-deficient, lying shitbags.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Parahexavoctal posted:

I couldn't remember if he was or not. It's been such a long time since the name popped in my mind, but I do remember him roleplaying as a woman online for a while.

Bruce Leroy posted:

Could you give an example of what he's done on Conservapedia that fits this?

I think the evidence of him doing nothing is pretty easily discovered and examined.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was looking at the RINO page and I loved this one:

Former President Theodore Roosevelt, because he regulated the economy and used social justice.

drat RINO Teddy Roosevelt :argh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Toffile posted:

I couldn't remember if he was or not. It's been such a long time since the name popped in my mind, but I do remember him roleplaying as a woman online for a while.

I think it would probably be closer to call him an internet cross-dresses than actually transgendered - he doesn't believe himself to be a woman nor wishes to be a woman, he just enjoys roleplaying as one. Even then it's slightly more complex than that - Sherilyn Sidaway is more like a sockpuppet than anything else.

A less charitable person would say that he treats his gender identity like he does every other aspect of his personality - he picks whatever is most likely to annoy/discomfit the person he's arguing with (note that he has never had an online conversation that cannot be described as an argument).

I actually quite like Tony but he has the unerring ability to make you feel, if you're on the same side of a position as him, that you've picked the wrong side.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Toffile posted:

I couldn't remember if he was or not. It's been such a long time since the name popped in my mind, but I do remember him roleplaying as a woman online for a while

He used to be called Jenny on Wikipedia because of the Doctor Who character of the same name.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Bruce Leroy posted:

So, what you're saying is that there's actual evidence supporting my position and not for the converse (i.e. liberals doing the same thing for which I'm criticizing conservatives and Republicans), but I should still be wary of becoming like the people I'm criticizing? From what basis do you draw such caution?

And you're posting this in the Conservapedia thread?

Do you really not see my point is that I'm acknowledging this is the same thing as what conservatives say of liberals, but the things they are using as evidence for their positions are boldfaced lies or obvious abuses of statistics? They are claiming liberals and pro-choice people in general are lying about the pregnancy rate for rape and are fact deficient, but they abuse statistics to make this point, hence my criticism.

Why do you feel the need to perpetuate a false equivalency here, especially since you even admit the evidence is pretty one-sided? Is it just for the sake of some misdirected and unnecessary moderation or balance?

Look, I'm not saying Democrats or liberals never lie or stretch the truth, just that it's of a qualitatively different character from what Republicans and conservatives are doing, as seen in them using an out of context lie about what Obama said as the theme to their national convention where they officially nominated Romney for president, as I previously noted in the comment to which you were responding. This is especially true for the kind of conservatives we're discussing in this thread, i.e. Conservapedians, who are Young Earth Creationism, global warming denialists, birthers, and other fact-deficient, lying shitbags.

Your right, the conservapedia thread is no place for a serious derail like this. Ill just drop the issue.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

I was looking at the RINO page and I loved this one:

Former President Theodore Roosevelt, because he regulated the economy and used social justice.

drat RINO Teddy Roosevelt :argh:

I always have a quiet chuckle to myself whenever Republican politicians, pundits, etc. try to invoke Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt to steal some of their credit and cache, because the current GOP couldn't be further from what those two men were about if that were the sole goal in life.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bruce Leroy posted:

I always have a quiet chuckle to myself whenever Republican politicians, pundits, etc. try to invoke Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt to steal some of their credit and cache, because the current GOP couldn't be further from what those two men were about if that were the sole goal in life.

Racial issues aside, Lincoln launched a war to preserve the supremacy of the federal government over the states. I mean, that's biggovernment.txt right there.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Racial issues aside, Lincoln launched a war to preserve the supremacy of the federal government over the states. I mean, that's biggovernment.txt right there.

And Teddy was a proponent of socialized healthcare in 1908.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bruce Leroy posted:

The Republicans will ignore the left-right shift whenever possible. How often have republicans said that the Democrats were the party of Jim Crow and segregation? They hate black people until it's convenient to point out how liberals are the real racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

C.C.C.P. posted:

And Teddy was a proponent of socialized healthcare in 1908.

This is so sad. Maybe we'll get socialized healthcare in 2108.

• Locked thread