Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Do they do more of these "Max Shocking" segments? That was funny as hell

They were the special segment for season 13 so consequently there's only a few of them. I'm sure we'll get to the rest of season 13 sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
good to know, I'm happy just knowing it wasn't a one shot deal.

Jurai
Jul 26, 2011

Obeast posted:

I would be asking "why would you do that to us?", but we already got the translated Super Monkey Adventure, so any other somewhat bad Japan-only game made famous on GCCX won't matter as much since SMA is really loving horrible (at least from what I saw in the five minutes I played it before my dog begged me to stop).

Given how few Powerpad games even came out having another english game to enjoy doesn't seem too bad to me, plus watching Arino play it the game isn't half bad. I do nes repros on the side so I can enjoy it with an actual powerpad, the rom uses a very common mapper (CNROM), of which creating a repro is a drop-in affair.

I took minor liberties with the game names to line them up with associated show names, still adjusting the some of the comment text to fit properly in the allocated space.

Jurai fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 8, 2012

makere
Jan 14, 2012
The release date for the DVD release was moved on Amazon to October 2. :ohdear:

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on July 29, 2012. Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Shinya Arino, Eastern Star "Retro Game Master: The Game Center CX Collection"
Estimated arrival date: October 03, 2012

:smithicide:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Tell me, whyyy does mine say October 4th? Amazon prime, what are you even good for? :(

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Whilst farting I posted:

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on July 29, 2012. Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Got the same mail. Surely this thread will provide us in these hard times, like it has before. :gbsmith:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Amazon must have a number of shipments of it and be shipping them out on a FIFO basis (I ordered mine late). Either that or it's adding a month or more to my arrival date because I live in NZ.

quote:

We're writing about the order you placed on August 18, 2012. Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Estimated arrival date: October 29, 2012 - November 19, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Hopefully, this just means that demand is so great that the only option was to push back the release because they just couldn't print them all up in time and they did not want any fans to feel like they are loved less than other fans.

That's my story, and that's the story I choose to believe. I don't care how common this kind of thing is in reality.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whilst farting I posted:

Hello,

I'm going out of town for a week on the originally scheduled release date so they pushed it back for me. Thanks, Discotek!

Xik posted:

Amazon must have a number of shipments of it and be shipping them out on a FIFO basis (I ordered mine late). Either that or it's adding a month or more to my arrival date because I live in NZ.

Actually I ordered a second set a few days ago as a gift for a friend (they make great Christmas, birthday, or anniversary gifts, BTW!) and I got two e-mails both saying the 4th. It might be the international shipping makes them add an extra week or two.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 8, 2012

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xik posted:

Amazon US orders usually take around a month to reach me in Australia and I imagine it wouldn't be too different for you guys, so that presumably accounts for the difference.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hopefully, this just means that demand is so great that the only option was to push back the release because they just couldn't print them all up in time and they did not want any fans to feel like they are loved less than other fans.

Maybe Discotek sold too much through their own site, so that they couldn't supply Amazon the amount they needed in time.

EDIT: Discotek website still says; "Release date: September 18, 2012"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

redmercer posted:

Which was translated by some hot-shot translator called KingMike anyway:

Whaaaa... :aaa:

How did I miss this?

edit: Okay, the translation really doesn't change the experience much. At all.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 8, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey guys, fresh from Producer Kan... Arino is currently on location in "Asia" and is eating in a restaurant:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's not Vietnam. You can tell by the power lines.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

You know that was an april fools day joke right?
Yes. And my comment still stands.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hirayuki posted:

Yes. And my comment still stands.

"If a reasonable person can't tell the difference between a parody of a thing and the thing itself, said thing is stupid".

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
For me this is the quintessential TV Nihon moment:

There is literally no reason you couldn't have just said salaryman.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Random Stranger posted:

Hey guys, fresh from Producer Kan... Arino is currently on location in "Asia" and is eating in a restaurant:

Isn't he always on location in Asia? That's like me saying "I'm on location in North America.

Obviously, I know he means the mainland. Which brings up a question: does Japan see themselves as separate from Asia. I don't know how to really explain it, but perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

A little blurry, but it looks very much like Thailand. And those powerlines, god drat.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Isn't he always on location in Asia? That's like me saying "I'm on location in North America.

Obviously, I know he means the mainland. Which brings up a question: does Japan see themselves as separate from Asia. I don't know how to really explain it, but perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Not necessarily separate. If they were separate then they wouldn't be able to compare themselves favorably to the mainland. As far as I've been able to tell they'd treat a trip to Bangkok the same way as we (Americans) would treat a trip to Cancun, or Rio, or any vacation destination in Central/South America. It may be dirtier and they may not speak the same language as we do, but it's still in the same neighborhood. As far as vacationing goes, the mainland is a popular vacation spot and getting a flight to Bangkok out of Japan isn't very difficult. They, like us, appreciate places with beaches (Japan really doesn't have as many good beaches as you might expect) so places like Hawaii, Guam, Bali, Thailand, etc. are all popular.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 8, 2012

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

GidgetNomates posted:

For me this is the quintessential TV Nihon moment:

There is literally no reason you couldn't have just said salaryman.

What's even more funny is "salaryman" itself is a colloquialism. While just about everyone reading this thread knows that salaryman = suit-wearing businessman, it's not a word that has deep penetration for folks who speak English and aren't fans of Japanese TV shows.

What I'm saying is TV-Nihon should have had a translator's note for "salaryman". :colbert:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Jimmy Colorado posted:

What's even more funny is "salaryman" itself is a colloquialism. While just about everyone reading this thread knows that salaryman = suit-wearing businessman, it's not a word that has deep penetration for folks who speak English and aren't fans of Japanese TV shows.

What I'm saying is TV-Nihon should have had a translator's note for "salaryman". :colbert:

Excuse me, but when they say it is "short" for, how do we know which meaning of short they were using. We need a translator note for the translator note.

We might also want to include a note every time they use a translator note just to explain what it is, so that way I don't think it is part of the dialog.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Haha yeah I was actually planning to say something about this in my post but I forgot. You're already being ~*~culturally accurate~*~ by saying salaryman. Ryman is just ridiculous.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

Haha yeah I was actually planning to say something about this in my post but I forgot. You're already being ~*~culturally accurate~*~ by saying salaryman. Ryman is just ridiculous.

But we're not capturing what is being said in Japanese. It's like, if we referred to "SuMari" as "Super Mario," we might as well change it to a dramatic show about a doctor who operates on patients by playing videogames... and when he doesn't beat the game, the patient dies!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

But we're not capturing what is being said in Japanese. It's like, if we referred to "SuMari" as "Super Mario," we might as well change it to a dramatic show about a doctor who operates on patients by playing videogames... and when he doesn't beat the game, the patient dies!
Better than something that's incomprehensible.

We're trying to watch tv here, not homestuck.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Jurai posted:

Given how few Powerpad games even came out having another english game to enjoy doesn't seem too bad to me, plus watching Arino play it the game isn't half bad. I do nes repros on the side so I can enjoy it with an actual powerpad, the rom uses a very common mapper (CNROM), of which creating a repro is a drop-in affair.

I took minor liberties with the game names to line them up with associated show names, still adjusting the some of the comment text to fit properly in the allocated space.

This is really cool, and you're awesome for doing this. Now we need somebody to make a romhack of your translation and turn it into the Most Extreme Elimination Challenge game!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Gutcruncher posted:

Tajiri really makes some great faces.

Is it just me, or has he not aged well? I mean, here he kind of looks like a Japanese Wil Wheaton, but now...

EDIT: and it's not just the glasses:

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 8, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

:gaben:.jpg

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

I also think it's Thailand -- I believe I see some Thai writing in there.

Sad that the Discotek DVD has been pushed back, but in other news, GCCX in USA has hit the Oricon charts. It sold 16,000 copies the first week, putting it in second place in DVD sales nationwide and making it the most successful GCCX DVD so far.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't had a chance to watch this episode yet (SAGCCX's version with the Pokemon segments anyway), but which Pokemon game let you exchange hats? Is that really a thing in the series?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

FredMSloniker posted:

Is it just me, or has he not aged well? I mean, here he kind of looks like a Japanese Wil Wheaton, but now...

EDIT: and it's not just the glasses:

That looks like a fundamentally different person to me. I can't believe that's the same face. I sort of think you are mistaken somehow but I believe you!

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

FredMSloniker posted:

That's a different guy http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tsunekaz_Ishihara

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

That's Tsunekazu Ishihara, CEO of the Pokemon Company.
ETA: Beaten by seconds...!

ETA2: Here's the most recent picture of Tajiri I could find, from 2011.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 8, 2012

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
He looks like a teen!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheGreenAvenger posted:

He looks like a teen!

He's starting to look his age there, actually. But in that GCCX interview he looks like a kid, and he's in his mid-30's.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
He looks like a teenage Mark Dacascos, haha.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Xik posted:

I haven't had a chance to watch this episode yet (SAGCCX's version with the Pokemon segments anyway), but which Pokemon game let you exchange hats? Is that really a thing in the series?

There is none. He's talking about a Magic Hat item that was an extremely rare item drop from a monster in Dragon Quest 2. He was envious of a co-worker that somehow managed to get two of them, and wished for a way to be able to "trade" the items to other people's games... so that kind of inspired the whole Pokemon trading thing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

That looks like a fundamentally different person to me. I can't believe that's the same face. I sort of think you are mistaken somehow but I believe you!

VINDICATED

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Xik posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

zari-gani posted:

That's Tsunekazu Ishihara, CEO of the Pokemon Company.
ETA: Beaten by seconds...!

ETA2: Here's the most recent picture of Tajiri I could find, from 2011.

Well, someone should tell this Pokemon wiki, then. I did wonder if I'd gotten the wrong photo, but... ah well!