Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huntersoninski posted:

The fur was really short, but pretty fine and yes, very, very soft. She solidified my desire to own a cat, mild allergies be damned.

Totally worth it. Just gotta be strong over the sleeping-on-the-bed issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

MikeJF posted:

Totally worth it. Just gotta be strong over the sleeping-on-the-bed issue.

I'm sure I'd adapt to the presence of a cat. My allergies kicked off in high school, and the cat I had at the time didn't bother me one lick, even sleeping on my bed. Nowadays I only get really bad with unmedicated, prolonged exposure to multi-cat (and not well kept) homes, or unaltered cats. A spayed lady cat and I would get along, I think. If I kept up with the claritin...and got a filter for my vacuum...and wiped her down often...

It's gonna happen.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Huntersoninski posted:

I'm sure I'd adapt to the presence of a cat. My allergies kicked off in high school, and the cat I had at the time didn't bother me one lick, even sleeping on my bed. Nowadays I only get really bad with unmedicated, prolonged exposure to multi-cat (and not well kept) homes, or unaltered cats. A spayed lady cat and I would get along, I think. If I kept up with the claritin...and got a filter for my vacuum...and wiped her down often...

It's gonna happen.

I have had mild to moderate allergies to cats all my life and am currently sharing my house with two medium-long haired cats. With judicious vacuuming and general house cleaning, you'll end up desensitizing yourself to the allergens with time. Unfamiliar multi-cat houses still set me off to this day. The cats are totally worth the mild discomfort at first.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Cant you get one of those hairless cats? Yea you can tell they are made from pure uncut evil just by looking at them, doesn't stop me from wanting one anyway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Clinton1011 posted:

Cant you get one of those hairless cats? Yea you can tell they are made from pure uncut evil just by looking at them, doesn't stop me from wanting one anyway.

Nah, most people who are allergic to cats are allergic to specific protein that is present in their hair and saliva. So a hairless cat is still out.

Poknok
Mar 14, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A little off topic, I was downright impossibly allergic to cats as a kid. All it took for me to go on a sneezing and runny nose bout was that a cat was in a 20-yard vicinity of me - yeah it was that bad. It doesn't end there, I was allegic to house dust, eggs, feathers and a couple of other things I can't recall now - but yeah, my mom kept our apartment super-clean because I'd have an asthma attack otherwise and it wasn't fun.

What happened is that as I matured, I apparently grew out of my allergies. I'm still allergic to feathers, but house dust and cat hair allergies have disappeared without a trace. Now I can spend hours cuddling with a kitty and dust doesn't bother me one bit, and I'm not even taking any meds for allergies.

So is it possible to "grow out" of allergies as you mature? If so, that's awesome, I can't wait to get a kitty of my own.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Kwyndig posted:

Nah, most people who are allergic to cats are allergic to specific protein that is present in their hair and saliva. So a hairless cat is still out.

Apparently hairless cats are worse since they actually produce more of the allergen than other cats.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
As a cat owner with lifelong cat allergies, I can attest that as long as your allergy is mild to moderate, you will get used to a cat you own and reactions will lessen over time.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Poknok posted:

So is it possible to "grow out" of allergies as you mature? If so, that's awesome, I can't wait to get a kitty of my own.

Yes, it is possible for people to lose(or gain) allergies throughout their life.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

This is Lenny.

Lenny was the best cat I could ever ask for. He was really friendly towards everyone, even strangers. He always wanted to play even though he was 4 years old. You could hear him purr from across a room and he never stopped. Unfortunately, yesterday I took him to the vet because he hadn't been acting like himself. They found a tumor in his abdomen that wasn't even on X-rays from 2 months ago. Today during exploratory surgery, they found that it had spread to his lymph nodes and kidneys and my family and I decided that we should just let him go while under anesthesia. I always meant to post pictures of him here, but I never got around to it. I just wanted to share him with everybody and I'm only sorry he's not here to see it. Apologies for poor picture quality in some of these.

This is the last picture I have of him, with Audrey, his younger sister:

I'll miss you, buddy.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Eibon posted:

This is Lenny.

:sympathy:

Lenny looked like he was awesome as hell.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Poknok posted:

A little off topic, I was downright impossibly allergic to cats as a kid. All it took for me to go on a sneezing and runny nose bout was that a cat was in a 20-yard vicinity of me - yeah it was that bad. It doesn't end there, I was allegic to house dust, eggs, feathers and a couple of other things I can't recall now - but yeah, my mom kept our apartment super-clean because I'd have an asthma attack otherwise and it wasn't fun.

What happened is that as I matured, I apparently grew out of my allergies. I'm still allergic to feathers, but house dust and cat hair allergies have disappeared without a trace. Now I can spend hours cuddling with a kitty and dust doesn't bother me one bit, and I'm not even taking any meds for allergies.

I had a reasonable peanut allergy as a kid, none of the swelling throat stuff, but would vomit violently at the smell or taste of peanuts. At some point between being a teenager and my now mid 20 year old self I completely grew out of it and can go for gold.

So, on my anecdotal evidence, I would say "Yes".

Good News Everyone
Apr 30, 2009

Eibon posted:

A gorgeous catte

I'm sorry for your loss, mate. Siamese cats = best cats. He was so cute.

Poknok
Mar 14, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Geolicious posted:

:sympathy:

Lenny looked like he was awesome as hell.

I'm sorry for your buddy. I'm not sure if the camera or lighting makes him look derp-eyed, but derpy cats are the best cats.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but on the other hand they're not bathing their fur in that saliva then leaving said fur on every surface in the house.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I'm allergic to cats and dogs, but it's on such a animal-to-animal basis. Some cats can sleep on my face, and just the fur of some on clothing can destroy my quality of life.

I read the thread about the Siberian and was interested in them before. Is a breeder the only way to find them? Are there reputable Siberian rescues?

I love dogs, and had a Wheaten Terrier growing up, best dog ever. Living in NYC with one of those as a puppy would be pretty difficult.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

Eibon posted:

I'll miss you, buddy.

Reading through this post reminded me of my blue-point Siamese. Her name was Lapis. When she got to be around 5, her kidneys shut down (chronic renal insufficiency) and I had to put her down. Three days before I got married.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but on the other hand they're not bathing their fur in that saliva then leaving said fur on every surface in the house.

Saliva and skin flakes isn't that much better than saliva, fur and skin flakes.

Speaking of saliva, hear Bub purr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jYej45RGw8

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Yeah, Lenny was a little cross-eyed, but it never stopped him.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Are siamese cats really cross-eyed, or do they just appear that way because of the shape of their face? I really thing my cat is part meezer just because I have never seen such a talkative cat that wasn't.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

They really are. It used to be considered a desirable breed trait and breeders would deliberately select for it.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Are siamese cats really cross-eyed, or do they just appear that way because of the shape of their face? I really thing my cat is part meezer just because I have never seen such a talkative cat that wasn't.

Yeah, last I checked. The center of their retinas don't line up perfectly with the center of their eyes, so when they look straight, they aren't looking straight. if that makes sense.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

I don't think this cat has an owner; I'm fairly sure this cat would be considered the owner of the person.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

With a twirl of his whiskers and a flip of his ear, worlds have fallen.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I don't think this cat has an owner; I'm fairly sure this cat would be considered the owner of the person.

I think that is the cat-human dynamic in most cases.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

"Hercule Purroit, Gentlecat Detective, at your service."

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

I see you have my cat's evil twin.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Eibon posted:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Yeah, Lenny was a little cross-eyed, but it never stopped him.

And I'm sad all over again. Thank you for sharing these pictures, Lenny looks awesome, happy and content and I'm sure he looks that way because of the loving home you gave him.

Luckily I got a little cheered up by Mustache Cat.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Hi everyone, meet George, my mum's cat. We don't know how old he is as he lived with an old lady who died before he came to live with mum. He's missing a back leg from getting hit by a car and only has a stump of his tail left as he chewed the rest off when he was having a bad time (before being rescued by mum).

He still moves really loving fast and is a complete killing machine. His favourite thing to dump on the kitchen floor is frogs (ew).

He likes belly rubs, ear scratches and lap-sitting and is a big manly furry boy cat with very thick fur.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
He only gets supervised outdoor time right? Wouldn't want him losing another leg. Also, how does a cat chew off his own tail?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

veedubfreak posted:

He only gets supervised outdoor time right? Wouldn't want him losing another leg. Also, how does a cat chew off his own tail?

They do that when they have nerve damage. I had a friend that had to amputate their cat's tail after it had been shut in a door- it didn't break it just had nerve damage.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

monkeytennis posted:

Hi everyone, meet George, my mum's cat. We don't know how old he is as he lived with an old lady who died before he came to live with mum. He's missing a back leg from getting hit by a car and only has a stump of his tail left as he chewed the rest off when he was having a bad time (before being rescued by mum).

He still moves really loving fast and is a complete killing machine. His favourite thing to dump on the kitchen floor is frogs (ew).

He likes belly rubs, ear scratches and lap-sitting and is a big manly furry boy cat with very thick fur.

Tail-less cats are awesome. I once had a tail-less tortoise-shell called Captain Janglybiscuits who was the fastest, most agile acrobatic cat I'd ever seen. After seeing that thing move, I always thought that tails just get in the way. It never managed to dodge my mum's car that one time though :(

I'll miss that cute little jangly bugger.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I have two Manx cats so taillessness is all they've known. They have jacked up back legs and kinda run like bunnies. Also, the pre-attack kitty but wiggle on a Manx is epic.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

veedubfreak posted:

Ha ha no. He has a catflap and comes and goes as he pleases, he is very independent! My mum lives in a rural area, there are no busy roads nearby and plenty of green bushy places to explore! Today he killed a seagull. A seagull!

monkeytennis has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Sep 8, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My friend's cat is a tripod as well. It's kinda hilarious watching him run, cause he uses the back leg as a rudder and just hauls rear end around corners.

It's also fun watching him stalk stuff, cause when he starts to "rev up" all you see is him shaking his rear end before hopping on something to destroy it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

That cat just heard a tin being opened on a different continent.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Robviously posted:

I have had mild to moderate allergies to cats all my life and am currently sharing my house with two medium-long haired cats. With judicious vacuuming and general house cleaning, you'll end up desensitizing yourself to the allergens with time. Unfamiliar multi-cat houses still set me off to this day. The cats are totally worth the mild discomfort at first.

I know nobody asked, but my friend's parents are letting me have the cat I posted on the last page. She's a farm cat, which they get a new batch of every spring, so they had no particular attachment to her. When they saw how much I liked her, they said I could keep her. Picking her up tomorrow, I'm so excited :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHS0tIzgw3g