Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
There is a big white shepherdy/LGD mix looking thing at the shelter right now. Big, handsome dog. When I took him down in the elevator he made a whine that sounded eerily like birds or whistling. It took me a few moments to even realize it was him. Such a pretty little noise from such a big dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Captain Foxy posted:

How does a pug take up any time at all? It's like a floor rug that wheezes and farts occasionally.

Oh I get it, they never actually housetrained it so it's probably making GBS threads and pissing all over their house and they 'don't have time' for that anymore. WELP SOMEONE ON FACEBOOK WILL WANT THIS :downs:

I mean, I'm assuming this is the case. I've never met anyone whose dog uses wee-wee pads accurately.

Also, who wants a pile of dogshit sitting on the floor waiting for you to clean it up? My boyfriend's dog poo poo in the house once and he cleaned it up immediately, but the house stunk like rear end until we aired it out.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Invalid Octopus posted:

There is a big white shepherdy/LGD mix looking thing at the shelter right now. Big, handsome dog. When I took him down in the elevator he made a whine that sounded eerily like birds or whistling. It took me a few moments to even realize it was him. Such a pretty little noise from such a big dog!

And why don't we have a picture of this dog? HM?

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
I'm prepping to get my first dog in 6-8 months and today I made the mistake of hitting up petfinder. There is a golden retriever/corgi cross that I am pretty sure I need, badly. Is it bad to kind of want my pets to color match?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Skizzles posted:

And why don't we have a picture of this dog? HM?

Haha, I checked the shelter website while I wrote that, but there's not a pic yet as he isn't up for adoption yet (I took him out right after he came in on Thursday). I'll put up a picture when there is one :)

InEscape posted:

I'm prepping to get my first dog in 6-8 months and today I made the mistake of hitting up petfinder. There is a golden retriever/corgi cross that I am pretty sure I need, badly. Is it bad to kind of want my pets to color match?

Omg you must match, please post link!

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Invalid Octopus posted:

Haha, I checked the shelter website while I wrote that, but there's not a pic yet as he isn't up for adoption yet (I took him out right after he came in on Thursday). I'll put up a picture when there is one :)

Omg you must match, please post link!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23647279?rvp=1

He and Sarabi have almost identical markings... :swoon:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

He's very sweet. :3: He does look a lot like a dog Sarabi. I take it a "doggie door" is basically a cat flap for dogs? Didn't know those were a thing.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Maybe the couple realized that when your dog is "wee wee pad trained" it's only a matter of time before you find your toddler playing with fistfuls of poop.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Nevermind

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 8, 2012

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

And this morning Eva finally started bleeding from her cooch with absolutely no warning. No swelling anywhere, behavior all the same. Thanks Eva, I love you too bitch.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SuperTwo posted:

And this morning Eva finally started bleeding from her cooch with absolutely no warning. No swelling anywhere, behavior all the same. Thanks Eva, I love you too bitch.

:raise: If one of my bitches was suddenly bleeding vaginally and there was no swelling/no typical signs of heat I'd have them at a vet so fast it'd make their head spin, because I am paranoid as poo poo about stuff like that.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
violence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEWo4D6NdQ4

stupidity

silent rage

dog feelings

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I have noticed that Angus has been more humpy than usual with her. Now that she's bleeding and I'm looking there is a bit of swelling but no where near what I expected to see. She's also turning a year old this month so it's the right time, I just wish she would have held off until I wasn't sick and trying to figure out what to do with the rescue dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

violence

stupidity

silent rage

dog feelings

These are the Dogs Of Our Lives.

SuperTwo posted:

I have noticed that Angus has been more humpy than usual with her. Now that she's bleeding and I'm looking there is a bit of swelling but no where near what I expected to see. She's also turning a year old this month so it's the right time, I just wish she would have held off until I wasn't sick and trying to figure out what to do with the rescue dog.

Like dogs give a gently caress about what's convenient for you :3: . But I'm glad it just sounds like a heat thing instead of a :supaburn: thing.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Asstro Van posted:

Maybe the couple realized that when your dog is "wee wee pad trained" it's only a matter of time before you find your toddler playing with fistfuls of poop.

Thanks for that image. :barf:

Send me this cutie, plzkthx.

e: the puppy not the gargoyle

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

The noises OMG the noises! I assume that strangled gargling wannabe growl was the gargoyle dog?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Hey guys! My awesome friends in Southern California who run the Shiba rescue down there is nominated for the Chase Charity giveaway. It would mean so much to them if you could give them your vote. :3:

Vote Here!

For your thanks, here is another puppy picture. :haw:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

violence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEWo4D6NdQ4

stupidity

silent rage

dog feelings

Well it's hard to say who won. The puppy had the enthusiastic energy, but Frankie was clearly more experienced and got the pup on his back a couple of times. I'll say the winner is Gumbo because he doesn't look like Frankie. But then I do like Frankie's ugly face. :radcat:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Ugh. I feel like I always post in PI to vent about bad stuff.

My 15 year old brother texted me a picture of my mom holding a puppy today.

Conversation goes like this:

Him: Mom wants to know if you want this greyhound puppy for your wedding present. Seriously.
Me: Holy crap! Where did it come from?
Him: It's an italian, and it's from puppyville in [their city]
Me: Puppyville?
Him: If you are interested call me. Now.
Him: It's a store
Me: No, definitely not from a pet store. They usually come from puppy mills or at the very least unethical breeders.
Him: It look really healthy, and it's the only way she can get one.
Me: No, I don't want to support that industry. Tell her thanks but no thanks. If I was going to get a puppy I'd go through a rescue or a reputable breeder.
Me: It is really cute thoough.
Him: She said she'll do it if you can deal with it.
Me: No thanks.

I have been dying to adopt a greyhound for years now, but we are waiting until we buy a house to do it. I wouldn't want an italian greyhound anyway. We just fixed an IG with bilateral radius ulna fractures at work very recently. We can them "frageelays" for a reason. I know how awful an idea it is to buy a milled IG from a crappy pet store.

But goddamn, why do I have to feel so bad about saying no to an adorable puppy? :smith:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Frankie's misery inspired me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I hope Frankie enjoyed his short time of not being the smallest dog in the household. Gumbo is just sprouting up.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

pastor of muppets posted:

But goddamn, why do I have to feel so bad about saying no to an adorable puppy? :smith:

But it looked really healthy! You obviously missed out on a good thing :downs:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Here's a lil' sumthin' of what I posted in the chicken thread, just gonna leave it here.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
^^: Ahahaha

Serella posted:

But it looked really healthy! You obviously missed out on a good thing :downs:

I swear people who are BYBs or buy from mill/byb sources ALWAYS say this. Honestly unless a puppy has parvo or some kind virus that makes them have visible symptoms of illness, people are always going to say it looks "healthy". Nevermind genetic issues don't crop up until later in life, but those surely couldn't be related to poor breeding, nope. (because the puppy was healthy!!)

e: forgot a word

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 9, 2012

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I guess as long as I never take it out of my purse to let it walk on its own then fractures and luxating patellas won't matter anyway! :j:

WolfensteinBag posted:

You are WAY too easy on your family. :colbert:

I know. :( This is even after they've gotten better about pets over the years. My brother and sister both volunteer at the local kill shelter and my mom adopted an adult pit bull mix from their shelter just last year, but sometimes...just sometimes...:argh:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 9, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Ugh. I feel like I always post in PI to vent about bad stuff.

My 15 year old brother texted me a picture of my mom holding a puppy today.

Conversation goes like this:

Him: Mom wants to know if you want this greyhound puppy for your wedding present. Seriously.
Me: Holy crap! Where did it come from?
Him: It's an italian, and it's from puppyville in [their city]
Me: Puppyville?
Him: If you are interested call me. Now.
Him: It's a store
Me: No, definitely not from a pet store. They usually come from puppy mills or at the very least unethical breeders.
Him: It look really healthy, and it's the only way she can get one.
Me: No, I don't want to support that industry. Tell her thanks but no thanks. If I was going to get a puppy I'd go through a rescue or a reputable breeder.
Me: It is really cute thoough.
Him: She said she'll do it if you can deal with it.
Me: No thanks.

You are WAY too easy on your family. :colbert:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

But he is inside! Clearly he is the best dog because he is inside and those other jerk dogs are outside where it isn't as awesome.

Is giving a dog/cat as a present a common thing? It just seems off unless you know they are actively hunting for a puppy/kitten to get right away and you give them a chance to go meet the dog/cat, but at that point you pretty much are reduced to saying "if you find a pet you like I'll pay for it".

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Shifty Pony posted:

But he is inside! Clearly he is the best dog because he is inside and those other jerk dogs are outside where it isn't as awesome.

Is giving a dog/cat as a present a common thing? It just seems off unless you know they are actively hunting for a puppy/kitten to get right away and you give them a chance to go meet the dog/cat, but at that point you pretty much are reduced to saying "if you find a pet you like I'll pay for it".

The Christmas following the loss of my old Persian, my mother made a gift certificate for a feline of my choice from the Humane Society and put it on the tree. It was the best Christmas ever. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

It depends, my friend got a rabbit for her birthday, but then before they actually bought the rabbit they discussed whether she could keep it, whether she really wanted it and stuff like that. Not all birthday presents have to be surprises, sometimes things like that are quite great. :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Rufus En Fuego posted:

The Christmas following the loss of my old Persian, my mother made a gift certificate for a feline of my choice from the Humane Society and put it on the tree. It was the best Christmas ever. :3:

This is pretty much the only appropriate way to gift a pet, IMO. That's adorable. :3:

Coincidentally, my birthday following my own Persian's death, my now-fiance took me to the SPCA to pick out a cat. which is how I ended up with my Rocky.

EDIT: Here's a bonus pic of my dearly departed Persian from years ago, looking happy and healthy.

It's been three years and I still tear up when I think about him. He was the sweetest cat in the world. Poor guy lived 13 years with a ton of health problems and eventually died of congestive heart failure. I would have thought my mom would have learned her lesson about buying animals from lovely breeders after everything this poor guy went through, but apparently not. :(

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 9, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

With that look, I'm surprised he hasn't murdered you yet.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

He would've had good reason to, since this was taken the day after his PU surgery. He has (had?) FLUTD and blocked too many times so he lost his penis-having privileges.

I can say with 100 percent confidence that if I was to die at home that he would not even wait until the rest of the food was completely gone to eat me.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I remember my sister telling me about Rocky's surgery and being like "Is that even a thing they do? I've never heard of that!" and I was all "PI told me all about it," :smug:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Browsing Petfinder and came across this guy. Is it just me or is there something really unsettling/off about his face? He's like the epitome of :downs:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Dick-ectomy. :dong:

Yeah, we do a lot of them. Luckily he doesn't get stones so he didn't need a cystotomy too. Right before we were about to induce him for surgery I just sat in the ward with him and pet him and he purred and purred and gave me head butts, and out of nowhere I just started bawling like a loving baby.

The LVT running his anesthesia made me go outside for a walk while they intubated him. Once he was down though, it just felt like any other case to me and I was okay to prep and scrub in on his surgery. Funny how working on your own pet will affect you.

spixxor posted:

Browsing Petfinder and came across this guy. Is it just me or is there something really unsettling/off about his face? He's like the epitome of :downs:

I don't think I've ever seen a husky with both brown eyes.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 9, 2012

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

This is pretty much the only appropriate way to gift a pet, IMO. That's adorable. :3:

Coincidentally, my birthday following my own Persian's death, my now-fiance took me to the SPCA to pick out a cat. which is how I ended up with my Rocky.

EDIT: Here's a bonus pic of my dearly departed Persian from years ago, looking happy and healthy.

It's been three years and I still tear up when I think about him. He was the sweetest cat in the world. Poor guy lived 13 years with a ton of health problems and eventually died of congestive heart failure. I would have thought my mom would have learned her lesson about buying animals from lovely breeders after everything this poor guy went through, but apparently not. :(

Kinda weird, but Rocky looks just like the kitty I adopted, except she had bright green eyes. I named her Pickles and she lived until the ripe old age of 14.

Here's the old bastard that Pickles followed.

His name was Charlie (short for some impossibly stupid show cat name like Charlemagne de Something Something de Fantakat). My aunt bred him and used him to stud some gorgeous little kittens that went off to win shows and stuff. To me he was just my Charlie. :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

D'aww. I have a huge soft spot for squish-faced kitties. I don't think I will ever own another one after my Himalayan passes, though. Too much heartache.

Ignore the stupid flea collar. It was years ago and I didn't know any better!

She is the most :saddowns: cat I've ever met and she has a permanent bitchface. We like to always say that Rocky is our pet and Layla is Rocky's pet.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Today, my mom OH SO CASUALLY mentioned, whilst laughing, how glad she was that my 17-20 year old childhood family cat was hit by a car in 2010 because "she was ruining the patio furniture by sleeping on it all the time." She said she was "really sad when she saw the body, but also glad because now she wouldn't have to worry about her patio furniture being ruined anymore." :psyduck:

No, she does not see how this is Not Cool because "lmao it was a cat, it isn't like it was a dog or something." The cat had been in our family for almost TWENTY YEARS.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
When I came home from boarding school one day as a teen, only one of our two dogs ran up to greet me. No biggie, figured the other one was in the backyard. A couple hours later I asked my mom where he was and she, laughing, said "oh I wondered when you would notice! I gave him away to an old couple because you weren't training him.". See aforementioned boarding school. Otherwise she's not nearly as crazy about pets as yours sounds (though...she does have an electric fence and an indoor/outdoor cat), but man I empathize because sometimes family is just crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

spixxor posted:

He looks like a stuffed animal. Those eyes are ridiculous. :3:

e: This discussion reminds me that my grandparents did the old "replace the cat with a completely different cat that LOOKS similar and hope they don't notice" to my mom while she was in the military. They ran over the other one by accident. My grandparents are kind of weird when it comes to pets but they spoil the hell out of any animal that is "theirs" and it ends up being an obese spastic mess.

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 9, 2012

• Locked thread