Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

bowmore posted:

Why a mono soundtrack?

It was a bit of a joke. The films have a 5.1 remix, but they're not amazing. I don't recall any moments that were made for 5.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The mono tracks on Modern Times and The Night of the Hunter are amazing. They sound like modern recordings.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I've been trying to find info on this but coming up short. Any of you guys know how to tell the difference between the fixed TNG: Season 1 sets and the originals with the messed up audio?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ApexAftermath posted:

I've been trying to find info on this but coming up short. Any of you guys know how to tell the difference between the fixed TNG: Season 1 sets and the originals with the messed up audio?

Yeah, the originals have messed up audio (on the 5.1 track). It's pretty obvious when you hear it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think he meant the boxes. :3:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I think he meant the boxes. :3:

Yeah haha that is what I meant. I hadn't picked it up yet and I wanted to avoid getting a hosed up set if possible. Anyone know if they have been sending fixed sets to stores yet or is my only option just to buy the hosed up audio one and send for replacement discs?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think the replacement discs got delayed so they're probably not in stores yet.

edit: Digital Bits says the replacement discs started shipping last week, so I dunno. I hope mine come soon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Catch Me If You Can details.

December 4th - $16.09 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00962QYVC...HQ7N18WV1V6RQZQ

quote:

The Catch Me If You Can Blu-ray release includes a digitally remastered version of the film plus over an hour of bonus features that delve into the casting, filming and real-life story of the man who inspired the movie. In addition, the disc includes a look at the musical score, an exploration of the FBI's perspective on Frank Abagnale and multiple photo galleries.

Special Features:
Catch Me If You Can: Behind the Camera
Catch Me If You Can: The Casting of the Film
Scoring: Catch Me If You Can
Frank Abagnale: Between Reality and Fiction
The FBI Perspective
Catch Me If You Can: In Closing
Photo Galleries

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I've been reading around, and apparently Alien 3 and Resurrection Blu-rays are of inferior quality to first two films (especially in light of Fox's reputation for publishing the best-looking movies on the format). Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I was trying to find a movie that looks great on Blu-Ray that I haven't watch yet and the answer was so obvious. I knew there was a reason I haven't bought Speed Racer on DVD.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I've been reading around, and apparently Alien 3 and Resurrection Blu-rays are of inferior quality to first two films (especially in light of Fox's reputation for publishing the best-looking movies on the format). Can anyone confirm this?

I guess it depends. I think Alien 3 is fine but yes the producers cut has some questionable quality due the source some of the material came from. Resurrection looks about as good as it can I think? I guess my question to you is what are you reading about them specifically?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ApexAftermath posted:

I guess it depends. I think Alien 3 is fine but yes the producers cut has some questionable quality due the source some of the material came from. Resurrection looks about as good as it can I think? I guess my question to you is what are you reading about them specifically?

Most of the things I read from reviews seems to be that less money is spend on the last two films because Fox tend to view them unfavorably (or thinks that most fans don't care much for them) compared to the iconic Scott and Cameron films.

It's mostly with user reviews. Professional reviews says they are both definitely better than the DVD but at the same time there are inconsistencies in image quality. Ressurection also looks better than Alien 3 because of Jeunet's trademark high-contrast colour palette.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Indiana Jones trilogies look pretty good
http://www.imagebam.com/image/a324ee209706862

hitze fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 8, 2012

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

The MSJ posted:

It's mostly with user reviews. Professional reviews says they are both definitely better than the DVD but at the same time there are inconsistencies in image quality. Ressurection also looks better than Alien 3 because of Jeunet's trademark high-contrast colour palette.

Alien 3 is going to have issues if you're watching the producers cut no doubt but that has to do with the source material. I would say this is the best and only version of these that will come out on blu ray for that exact reason that most fans would say those movies were lame(well I like Alien 3 but I realize it's not great).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Nick Wrigley (Masters of Cinema) has check discs of Universal's UK Hitchcock box set and has found...

Frenzy, The Birds, and Family Plot all have high levels of DVNR. Frenzy has re-created opening titles with the wrong typeface and misspellings. Vertigo and Rear Window are apparently very good, but with little to no dirt/scratch cleanup. Shadow of a Doubt apparently looks excellent. Rope appears "faded" in color. Vertigo still has wrong color timing in the opening credits and no original mono track (only the 1996 5.1 remix).

(taken from posts on HTF and CriterionForum.org)

NOTE - This is the UK set. It's entirely plausible the US set is different, but I'd still wait for more reviews.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 8, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Nick Wrigley (Masters of Cinema) has check discs of Universal's UK Hitchcock box set and has found...

Frenzy, The Birds, and Family Plot all have high levels of DVNR. Frenzy has re-created opening titles with the wrong typeface and misspellings. Vertigo and Rear Window are apparently very good, but with little to no dirt/scratch cleanup. Shadow of a Doubt apparently looks excellent. Rope appears "faded" in color. Vertigo still has wrong color timing in the opening credits and no original mono track (only the 1996 5.1 remix).

Goddammit Universal.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Goddammit Universal.

Some of their older stuff is really good, and then...

I mean, I have "All Quiet on the Western Front," and it's amazing how great an 80 year old film can look. And they talked about DNR, and they said "We don't want to get rid of the grain completely because it's part of the look, and you lose detail."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Other items of note...

- Looks like Children of Paradise isn't so great. Pathe's restoration went a bit too far on grain reduction. Kind of inexplicable considering Pathe had the camera negative and fine-grain positives.

- The Sony/Fathom re-issue of Lawrence of Arabia on Oct. 4 will NOT be from 1080i streaming. According to Robert Harris, it's all from the 4K DCP file projected at 2K or 4K depending on the location.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

NOTE - This is the UK set. It's entirely plausible the US set is different, but I'd still wait for more reviews.

I have trouble believing that The Birds is hosed up. Universal just remastered that and they have been batting a 1000 lately. The other titles wouldn't really surprise me that much since they have a horrible habit of releasing old transfers but The Birds should be on par with any other 100th anniversary release from this year.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 8, 2012

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch
If the worst thing about Vertigo is the old sound, I will be totally fine with that. Totally and completely fine. The DVD colors are just ridiculously bad. Like watching through a plastic bag or something. I lost the HD recording I had from HDNet or some such.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

I guess you get what you pay for. (it was a good deal!)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Goddammit Universal.

I hate it when they gently caress this stuff up. I don't know why, it's just really annoying. "Here's your restored blu-ray, enjoy!" "It's a hat with a turd in it." "Oh well, toodles!" *prances away*

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hate it when they gently caress this stuff up. I don't know why, it's just really annoying. "Here's your restored blu-ray, enjoy!" "It's a hat with a turd in it." "Oh well, toodles!" *prances away*

I think it's because it takes away the hope of seeing a properly restored version for a long time, as they hold the rights and won't be re-issuing it anytime soon. Not with a all new transfer, anyway.

And I'm not that familiar with film deterioration but if a quality transfer isn't produced right now it might become more problematic down the road, whenever (if ever) they or another distributor get around to preserving the classics with the effort required and deserves.

Look at the incredible work that Ben Solovey is doing with friggin' Manos: The Hands of Fate. Are they saying that loving Hitchcock isn't worth as much effort to preserve as Manos?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've actually been a little nervous about all these sudden boxed sets, because in the past these catalog releases have been trickling out fairly slowly. We get, say, a few good Bond movies at a time at first, and then all of a sudden they poo poo them all out in one boxed set, which doesn't exactly make me feel confident in the amount of time they've spent on restoration.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo received a release in Germany along with Nosferatu and Cobra Verde...but with no English subs :negative:

I WANT

RichterIX posted:

I've actually been a little nervous about all these sudden boxed sets, because in the past these catalog releases have been trickling out fairly slowly. We get, say, a few good Bond movies at a time at first, and then all of a sudden they poo poo them all out in one boxed set, which doesn't exactly make me feel confident in the amount of time they've spent on restoration.

That one you don't actually have to worry about. They remastered all of the James Bond movies at one time. MGM has just been sitting on them like a jerk.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think it's because it takes away the hope of seeing a properly restored version for a long time, as they hold the rights and won't be re-issuing it anytime soon. Not with a all new transfer, anyway.

And I'm not that familiar with film deterioration but if a quality transfer isn't produced right now it might become more problematic down the road, whenever (if ever) they or another distributor get around to preserving the classics with the effort required and deserves.

There's also the distinct air of them not giving a drat, really. I know corporations are just in it for the money and we have to suck the butthole whether we like it or not but it blows that this aspect of film preservation is too frequently hosed over. I mean, take the fiasco between the Criterion Collection and Lionsgate where Lionsgate got tired of Criterion making all the money on their movies and took everything back just to sit on it as potential leverage or whatever after farting out a handful of releases that varied from mediocre to hilariously awful.

All I want is a mom and pop media conglomerate.

edit oh gosh

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 9, 2012

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Sporadic posted:

Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo received a release in Germany along with Nosferatu and Cobra Verde...but with no English subs :negative:

Well all of them besides Woyzeck have the English cut/dub, if it's any consolation. Still, no subtitles is just pointlessly cruel. Come on now Mr. Herzog, there is no excuse.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Bond films were all remastered a while back. All the films from Dr. No through The Spy Who Loved Me were 4K, the rest being 2K.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
In case anyone is interested, Amazon's Canadian site has a lot of Criterion blu-rays marked down to about $30. It's not great, but it's better than most sales we get up here. Plus no outrageous shipping charges.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's also the distinct air of them not giving a drat, really. I know corporations are just in it for the money and we have to suck the butthole whether we like it or not but it blows that this aspect of film preservation is too frequently hosed over. I mean, take the fiasco between the Criterion Collection and Canal+ where Canal+ got tired of Criterion making all the money on their movies and took everything back just to sit on it as potential leverage or whatever after farting out a handful of releases that varied from mediocre to hilariously awful.
This is something that has been bothering me quite a bit lately. All of these renowned classics get such a half-assed transfer for them. What hope is there for the preservation of films that aren't either classics or cult hits? What crap condition are they going to be left in? Everyone talks about the theatre experience coming at home in the next generation, when we have 84" 4K OLED televisions, but all I can wonder how many of those 4K format releases will just be the same drat transfer they did for the DVD with even more aggressive digital scrubbing applied.

It's especially disconcerting as a Canadian who loves the film my country has come out with. I was looking through my collection the other day and realized the vast majority of my favourite Canadian films are still only available as non-anamorphic DVDs. Their licenses are usually held by Alliance, who are basically the Echo Bridge of Canada, so the best I can hope for is the laziest Blu-ray transfer imaginable, if even that happens.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's also the distinct air of them not giving a drat, really. I know corporations are just in it for the money and we have to suck the butthole whether we like it or not but it blows that this aspect of film preservation is too frequently hosed over. I mean, take the fiasco between the Criterion Collection and Canal+ where Canal+ got tired of Criterion making all the money on their movies and took everything back just to sit on it as potential leverage or whatever after farting out a handful of releases that varied from mediocre to hilariously awful.

All I want is a mom and pop media conglomerate.

It wasn't even StudioCanal's decision - Lionsgate apparently stipulated they would get exclusive rights to the library. Anchor Bay had the rights before Lionsgate and didn't have a problem with overlapping titles, which was the case with The Man Who Fell to Earth and Kind Hearts and Coronets. AB was more like Universal - they'd put out their cheaper movie-only edition first, then let Criterion do a more elaborate edition. For all the bonehead things Universal has done lately, they easily have the best licensing policy out of all the major studios.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kuddles posted:

This is something that has been bothering me quite a bit lately. All of these renowned classics get such a half-assed transfer for them. What hope is there for the preservation of films that aren't either classics or cult hits? What crap condition are they going to be left in? Everyone talks about the theatre experience coming at home in the next generation, when we have 84" 4K OLED televisions, but all I can wonder how many of those 4K format releases will just be the same drat transfer they did for the DVD with even more aggressive digital scrubbing applied.

It's especially disconcerting as a Canadian who loves the film my country has come out with. I was looking through my collection the other day and realized the vast majority of my favourite Canadian films are still only available as non-anamorphic DVDs. Their licenses are usually held by Alliance, who are basically the Echo Bridge of Canada, so the best I can hope for is the laziest Blu-ray transfer imaginable, if even that happens.

Actually, lesser-known films are often more likely to be in better condition. The Godfather needed an extensive restoration because it was completely worn out from use over the years. On the other hand, The Night of the Hunter, which bombed upon release, has a pristine negative that was used for a direct 2K remaster. No restoration necessary besides standard age-related cleanup.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

It wasn't even StudioCanal's decision - Lionsgate apparently stipulated they would get exclusive rights to the library.

Oh sorry let me edit my post.

edit: I edited my post

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 9, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kuddles posted:

Well, Universal's problem is that they "futureproofed" a ton of their catalog titles by making an HD transfer a long time ago. At the time, it was the best but they just don't hold up to today's standards. Kind of like how when HD-DVD/Blu-Ray came out and Warner released Enter The Dragon + Full Metal Jacket in 1080i because that's what they scanned in years before. Or how Sony use to be the worst Blu-Ray studio before they finally realized how to do it.

New HD masters cost money. Universal = cheap as hell. It was easier to overlook their issues back when they were releasing a minimum of one HD-DVD per week.

Electronico6 posted:

Well all of them besides Woyzeck have the English cut/dub, if it's any consolation. Still, no subtitles is just pointlessly cruel. Come on now Mr. Herzog, there is no excuse.

Do they? The thread I was reading on Blu-Ray.com said they only had the German audio.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Did Sony really have any duds besides The Fifth Element? A Passage to India and Close Encounters of the Third Kind were among their earliest releases - both are nearly flawless.

edit: :aaa: at the Aguirre screencap.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 9, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Sporadic posted:

Do they? The thread I was reading on Blu-Ray.com said they only had the German audio.

Just put on some ambient music and stare at the pretty pictures.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 9, 2012

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

Did Sony really have any duds besides The Fifth Element? A Passage to India and Close Encounters of the Third Kind were among their earliest releases - both are nearly flawless.

Are you talking about the original Blu-ray release of The Fifth Element? The Remastered version is better, right?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The best one is the transfer on the Nordic Blu-ray, Gaumont did a proper remaster of it.
Sony Remaster | Nordic Blu-Ray

hitze fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 9, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

I could have swore that the launch titles were pretty underwhelming (but honestly, the only thing I remember now is how they were using MPEG-2 for encodes)

And yeah, the Aguirre screencaps are stunning. I'm so glad that Herzog supervised the transfers (instead of letting Studio Canal handle them on their own). Really makes me want to import them.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
Holy poo poo, Lawrence of Arabia was worth the 6 year wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

luigionlsd posted:

Holy poo poo, Lawrence of Arabia was worth the 6 year wait.

(from the excellent 100+ page thread on Home Theater Forum)

• Locked thread