Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Windows really doesn't seem to like copying the ClockworkMod folder off of my Galaxy Nexus. It sits calculating the time required to copy the files for ages. Any tips on pulling a backup off the phone in a more convenient way?

LastInLine posted:

I've seen this happen with the OSX Android File Transfer app. If you're on your home WiFi try AirDroid to complete your transfers. Are you moving things to a network share via WiFi using EStrongs or trying to use USB and Windows Explorer?

Be aware that while backing up your internal storage is a good idea it is unnecessary for switching ROMs.

LastInLine posted:

I've never had USB work reliably but then I'm on OSX so that's expected. In the future, wifi to a network share plus WiFi High Performance Widget (to keep the transfer speeds up when the screen turns off) doesn't seem to have that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No idea, I don't have a GNex, but i helped a friend with the same issue and stumbled across this post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-help/192972-sdcard-contents-exist-but-i-cant-see-them-2.html

The SDRescan-tool worked for him, so I didn't look any further into this.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I've been waiting on CM10 to hit an RC before jumping from stock on my VZW GNex because I'm a coward that has only used wug's tool to root.

1) Should I go to the leaked AOSP stock JB, or hold off?

2) On a scale of 1 - I'm going to brick my phone, how hard would it be to move to the leaked AOSP version if that might be worthwhile?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WebDO posted:

I've been waiting on CM10 to hit an RC before jumping from stock on my VZW GNex because I'm a coward that has only used wug's tool to root.

[s]I could be wrong but I think the Verizon stock images are available to flash. If that's the case then there's no reason not to try it as you can always go back. Even if they're not you should be able to nandroid and flash the radio if you need to go back.

Edit: The stock image is available so as long as you can boot to the bootloader you cannot break the phone.

WebDO posted:

2) On a scale of 1 - I'm going to brick my phone, how hard would it be to move to the leaked AOSP version if that might be worthwhile?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 6, 2012

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Cross posting from the Sprint thread..

I just got a Sprint Galaxy Nexus. I've unlocked it, installed TWRP and rooted. It's great and all. Is there a reliable source of a stock image "just in case?" I know Google doesn't offer one at this time. I found one on XDA that is to be used with Odin, but was wondering if there was a better spot for it because, well, XDA.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

Cross posting from the Sprint thread..

I just got a Sprint Galaxy Nexus. I've unlocked it, installed TWRP and rooted. It's great and all. Is there a reliable source of a stock image "just in case?" I know Google doesn't offer one at this time. I found one on XDA that is to be used with Odin, but was wondering if there was a better spot for it because, well, XDA.
Make a nandroid and store it someplace safe (off the device) and between that and what you find on XDA you should be okay.

I'd like to hope that Google will put up the Toroplus images soon.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Make a nandroid and store it someplace safe (off the device) and between that and what you find on XDA you should be okay.

I'd like to hope that Google will put up the Toroplus images soon.

Yeah this is what I've done, I was just concerned with the ability to reflash the stock recovery as well. I'll take what I can get.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

Yeah this is what I've done, I was just concerned with the ability to reflash the stock recovery as well. I'll take what I can get.
Do you still have the install_recovery.sh in /system/etc? If so that will reflash the stock recovery on reboot.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Do you still have the install_recovery.sh in /system/etc? If so that will reflash the stock recovery on reboot.

You don't say! I honestly didn't know about this. Do you just go and rename the file to stop it? I actually used Google effectively and figured this all out.

I actually kind of like keeping it this way, so that if an OTA update comes through, it should be just ready to go as I'm only using rooted stock. Fastboot flashing recovery for a one time use is pretty simple.

Learn something new everyday I suppose.

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 6, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

You don't say! I honestly didn't know about this. Do you just go and rename the file to stop it?
Yes, exactly. If you need the stock recovery just naming it back to normal and rebooting should overwrite the custom recovery with stock.

Actually renaming install_recovery.sh doesn't affect OTAs and you can always flash an OTA with a custom recovery (just not from the notification) so I'd keep it renamed just for ease-of-use if something goes wrong.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

WebDO posted:

I'd skip the leaked version and go with Bugless Beast.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

WebDO posted:

CM10 is 100% stable, even if it is a nightly. Like, more stable than whatever crappy stock ROM's came on this thing. CM10 is like project butter sex on this thing. I know I suck CM9/10's dick a lot in this thread but it has 100% of its features working. This isnt like a GB or ICS rom nightly that doesn't have 4g or camera or whatever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I know I suck CM9/10's dick a lot in this thread but it has 100% of its features working.
Hard to believe when the GSM version of CM10 has things missing and broken all over the place. Gallery is completely hosed ("That's a GApps issue!"), Camera previews are spotty, and lots of users report random kernel panics ("Only twice a day now; definitely my daily driver!").

Compared to stock Jelly Bean it's hardly an improvement.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm using CM10 on my GMS galaxy nexus, and I've had a few random reboots. Nothing else though. Gallery/camera previews seem to work just fine for me.

The reboots I think I've had 4 in the past 3 weeks, so not great but not really noticeable..

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

I'm using CM10 on my GMS galaxy nexus, and I've had a few random reboots. Nothing else though. Gallery/camera previews seem to work just fine for me.

The reboots I think I've had 4 in the past 3 weeks, so not great but not really noticeable..
As to Gallery/Camera: Does Picasa sync work? If so, you're using the old, modified GApps as that's now integrated into the Camera.apk so CM can't distribute it. Using it forgoes all camera CM mods. In the CM Camera you also can't swipe to preview/swipe back to Camera.

Of course "a few random reboots" is the very definition of "not stable" which is what Bob A Feet was claiming.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

LastInLine posted:

Hard to believe when the GSM version of CM10 has things missing and broken all over the place. Gallery is completely hosed ("That's a GApps issue!"), Camera previews are spotty, and lots of users report random kernel panics ("Only twice a day now; definitely my daily driver!").

Compared to stock Jelly Bean it's hardly an improvement.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see where it was requesting GSM Nexus. My B. Well sorry brosky, CDMA Nexus is rockin CM10 hardcore style

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The AOKP nightlies are good and full featured if you're fine with ignoring their dumb unicorn poo poo.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Whizbang posted:

The AOKP nightlies are good and full featured if you're fine with ignoring their dumb unicorn poo poo.

I tried AOKP a week or two ago because I liked it a lot on my SGS2, but the current version doesn't really seem to have anything that CM10 doesn't have, but is missing a lot of the nice things that CM10 does have. What's a compelling reason to use AOKP if CM10 works on your device?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I tried AOKP a week or two ago because I liked it a lot on my SGS2, but the current version doesn't really seem to have anything that CM10 doesn't have, but is missing a lot of the nice things that CM10 does have. What's a compelling reason to use AOKP if CM10 works on your device?

Centered clock in the status bar, man!

seriously I'm on CM10 nightlies right now and it rules, but is there any way to get the clock centered?

I wouldn't mind the ChargeBar style battery bar, either.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

Bob A Feet posted:

Well sorry brosky, CDMA Nexus is rockin CM10 hardcore style

This is true. A week of CM10 daily use and mine hasn't crashed at all, whereas stock ICS and stable 9.0.0 both crashed and rebooted maybe 2-4 times a week.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I switched to CM10 on my Sprint Gnex about 6 days ago because the JB rom that I had been using wouldn't connect to LTE and I couldn't up date the PRL with out it force closing.

CM10 works great, no reboots locks, or crashes that I have seen or noticed and even the Sprint Updates for PRL and Profile work. All in all I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to run something other than stock.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I own a Vibrant SGH-959 that I bought from another Goon about a year ago. It's still running 2.2 :negative:

I'm determined to root my phone this weekend as the only thing getting in my way is my own laziness in actually taking the time to do so.

My question is, since the OP hasn't been updated for a year and a half no, is there a recommended, stable ROM for my phone in particular?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 7, 2012

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Boondock Saint posted:

So I own a Vibrant SGH-959 that I bought from another Goon about a year ago. It's still running 2.2 :negative:

I'm determined to root my phone this weekend as the only thing getting in my way is my own laziness in actually taking the time to do so.

My question is, since the OP hasn't been updated for a year and a half no, is there a recommended, stable ROM for my phone in particular?

Well that depends what you want out of rooting your phone? Do you want stock Android on it? CyanogenMod nightlies with Android 4.1 are working fine on the Vibrant.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

nimper posted:

Well that depends what you want out of rooting your phone? Do you want stock Android on it? CyanogenMod nightlies with Android 4.1 are working fine on the Vibrant.

Yeah, I'm looking for a stock android ROM at this rate. Cyanogen looks nice, but I'm confused on the nighties part (would this mean I'd have to update the ROM on a nightly basis or something?) as well as the whole emergency calls not working correctly.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Boondock Saint posted:

Yeah, I'm looking for a stock android ROM at this rate. Cyanogen looks nice, but I'm confused on the nighties part (would this mean I'd have to update the ROM on a nightly basis or something?) as well as the whole emergency calls not working correctly.

You don't necessarily HAVE to, but it's small improvements they're often putting in there. I dropped 6 bucks on "rom manager premium" , and I can load it up, it checks if there's a new nightly, downloads, installs, updates, and i'm good to go with about 3 button presses and 10-15 minutes of time (mostly to download the rom and gapps). This is based on my experience on a different phone with CM10, but I'd assume your experience should be similar.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
So I finally tried cm10 on my HTCEVOLTE, and I really dig it.

Other than the funkiness with the Sprint Visual Voicemail stuff, I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the sdcard and sdcard-ext to mount when I plug it up to my computer.

I really have no idea what to try or even look at, but I turn on mass storage, and I plug it in, and tap the little USB Storage button, and all I get is an odd empty folder mounted.

Anyone experience this at all?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nerdrock posted:

You don't necessarily HAVE to, but it's small improvements they're often putting in there. I dropped 6 bucks on "rom manager premium" , and I can load it up, it checks if there's a new nightly, downloads, installs, updates, and i'm good to go with about 3 button presses and 10-15 minutes of time (mostly to download the rom and gapps). This is based on my experience on a different phone with CM10, but I'd assume your experience should be similar.

Sounds good.

Is the emergency call thing something to worry about?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Boondock Saint posted:

Sounds good.

eh, it's up to you. I guess it's something you never really need until you're really hosed, right? I don't want to be the guy who tells you to break your emergency calling, then you get mauled by a bear or some poo poo and it eats your SIM card.

Edit : if it's a non-immediate emergency call that's necessary (your sim just disintegrates and there's no immediate threat of life and limb), then you can just do a backup with clockworkmod before flashing CM10, and roll back to that if you absolutely need to place an emergency call before the Cyanogen people figure out how to fix it.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 7, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Boondock Saint posted:

There was a weird, Vibrant-specific issue with emergency calls (911) suffering an audio-routing problem such that dispatch couldn't heard the caller, I believe. The problem was exacerbated by the fact that the Vibrant went without a CM maintainer for some time, although there is one now.

Anyways, emergency calls should be fixed as of February 2012.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

godzirraRAWR posted:

So I finally tried cm10 on my HTCEVOLTE, and I really dig it.

Other than the funkiness with the Sprint Visual Voicemail stuff, I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the sdcard and sdcard-ext to mount when I plug it up to my computer.

I really have no idea what to try or even look at, but I turn on mass storage, and I plug it in, and tap the little USB Storage button, and all I get is an odd empty folder mounted.

Anyone experience this at all?

I guess what I'm asking, is how do I get android to present my sdext to usb storage, rather than my sdinternal? It has this nasty side effect of completely removing all of my widgets, and I have to readd manually. What a weird rear end dealbreaker :/

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

CM10 is 100% stable, even if it is a nightly. Like, more stable than whatever crappy stock ROM's came on this thing. CM10 is like project butter sex on this thing. I know I suck CM9/10's dick a lot in this thread but it has 100% of its features working. This isnt like a GB or ICS rom nightly that doesn't have 4g or camera or whatever.

So my question about this then is do I flash the new radios that are also leaked?

Even after 4.0.4 my 4G/3G switching is broken and does nothing but chew my battery up. After all the bullshit I went through (multiple DOAs of my phone, tier 2 tickets, an NRB ticket) I just want 4G that works.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

WebDO posted:

So my question about this then is do I flash the new radios that are also leaked?

Even after 4.0.4 my 4G/3G switching is broken and does nothing but chew my battery up. After all the bullshit I went through (multiple DOAs of my phone, tier 2 tickets, an NRB ticket) I just want 4G that works.

I mean, its worth a try. I flashed new radios way back when (like march or so?) but I don't know if they stuck. What's your baseband version? I'm on I515.09V.FC04/I515.09V.FC05.

I only ask because I don't know how long a radio sticks-- I've loaded like 12 different ROM's and done that many wipes since I flashed those radios.

This is completely anecdotal, and I don't know if ROM selection affects this, but I've seen better hand off with CM10. Again, it may depend on your location. I live in a 4g rich area so my 4g/3g hand offs are few. I also use juicedefender so any radio connection lag I chalk up to that.

It's worth a try for sure. I've been through several JB roms and this is easily the best.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

I mean, its worth a try. I flashed new radios way back when (like march or so?) but I don't know if they stuck. What's your baseband version? I'm on I515.09V.FC04/I515.09V.FC05.

I only ask because I don't know how long a radio sticks-- I've loaded like 12 different ROM's and done that many wipes since I flashed those radios.

This is completely anecdotal, and I don't know if ROM selection affects this, but I've seen better hand off with CM10. Again, it may depend on your location. I live in a 4g rich area so my 4g/3g hand offs are few. I also use juicedefender so any radio connection lag I chalk up to that.

It's worth a try for sure. I've been through several JB roms and this is easily the best.
I'd try both flashing a custom ROM and the new radios. I have the same anecdotal evidence about ROMs: I had trouble switching to 3G/4G on stock, but since I rooted and went custom (I'm on AOKP these days) I haven't had a problem with it. So, put a custom ROM on that thing. It's hard to brick the phone. And as long as you're flashing the ROM, you might as well flash the radios while you're at it (the Jelly Bean radios are FF02/FG02). A lot of people are reporting better signal strength with them, and they helped mine some too. Just make sure you verify the md5 and all that.
VZW GNex Jelly Bean radios:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/33228-jro03o-radios-for-toro-ff02fg02/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Radios stay the same until you flash a different one. Radios are not included in ROMs (except for stock ROMs).

Additionally radios only come from official software so there are probably only the number of radios available as there have been official releases plus leaks.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any experience with a Nexus 7, staying completely stock other than being rooted and having a kernel that supports USB drives? My friend just got one and wants to be able to watch movies on it, but I don't know anything about Nexus 7 poo poo, and I'm so sick of wading through trash on XDA and don't want to gently caress up someone else's tablet.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So I successfully rooted my Vibrant to CM10. My issue now, is I no longer have access to the wi-fi calling app I had previously through T-Mobile. This is an issue for me since my apartment has lovely service and wi-fi calling was the only thing allowing me to get calls.

Is there a fix or another way to grab this app?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
There's no Wi-Fi calling workarounds to my knowledge, you just have to use GrooveIP or Talkatone and tell people to call your Google Voice number for incoming stuff.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm feeling ballsy and want to try out CM10 on my Galaxy Nexus. I'm already rooted, unlocked, and have a nandroid/titanium backup. What's the best/fastest process to get CM10 going?

I'm thinking:
1) Rom Manager to download and install CM10
2) Flash CM10
3) ...? Sign in to google accounts? Something?
4) Restore from Titanium, but not system files

Anything else I need to know? What do I need to setup that restoring from titanium won't?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm feeling ballsy and want to try out CM10 on my Galaxy Nexus. I'm already rooted, unlocked, and have a nandroid/titanium backup. What's the best/fastest process to get CM10 going?

I'm thinking:
1) Rom Manager to download and install CM10
2) Flash CM10
3) ...? Sign in to google accounts? Something?
4) Restore from Titanium, but not system files

Anything else I need to know? What do I need to setup that restoring from titanium won't?

You don't need to feel ballsy at all. I am the kind of guy who only runs extremely stable, non-janky, stock-looking ROMS and I run the nightlies of CM10, updating every other day or so.

I came from a brand new replacement phone from Samsung, so all I did was unlock and root, flash recovery, boot to recovery, flash CM10, flash the google application zip, and start signing into google, facebook, twitter, whatever.

Since I didn't have a titanium to work from I just reinstalled all my critical apps and went from there.

The thing you want to do is keep the google apps zip on your phone, because every time you run a new nightly it overwrites stuff like the google search bar with the old stupid version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

ShaneB posted:

I came from a brand new replacement phone from Samsung, so all I did was unlock and root, flash recovery, boot to recovery, flash CM10, flash the google application zip, and start signing into google, facebook, twitter, whatever.

Well what I mean is that I already have my phone the way I want it, with all my apps setup the way I want, but on the stock 4.1.1 rom from Google. If I switch to try out CM10, what do I need to do to switch and have everything the way I want?

I don't even know what to expect when I boot into CM10 the first time.

Thanks for the reminder about Google Apps though. I would have completely forgotten about needing those.