Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

gaxsezu posted:

The "Lady Killer" set is also worthless so feel free to not worry about it at all.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure all the Lady Killer set does is make Wei look like a complete idiot and/or huge douchebag when wearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

James Hong voices every cranky/eccentric old Asian man in everything ever, he is way more than Covetous Shen

You weren't kidding, poo poo.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0393222/

He was also in both True Crime games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZbcuAske_Q

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 8, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got a code for this when I bought a new video card and was pretty excited to play it. I searched the thread and saw a few other people with the same problem I'm having but no definitive answer:

I managed to play through the beginning parts of the game fine, and it ran smooth as silk. However, I got hit with a loading screen that would never finish (right after getting the Just Cause 2 pack?) and every time I load the autosave it's right before that and I get sent to the never-ending loading screen again.

My video card drivers are up to date, and I've also tried loading the game on the lowest graphics settings. I downloaded the High Res texture pack as well.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Any clues for when DLC is coming out for this game? I've 100%'d it and now there's really nothing else to do and I want to play more.

Also you really can't go on a murderous rampage in this game, unlike most other titles in the genre, and that makes me sad. I know it's a cop game and you're the good guy and all, but drat, start a firefight and you have every cop in HK on your rear end with assault rifles within am minute who riddle you with bullets.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

mrking posted:

I've been loving this game, but last night all the audio from this game just completely stopped. I'm playing on the PS3 and tried re-installing the game data, fiddling with all the audio settings, and even got a new copy of the disc. Sound works fine in all my other games and I haven't found anything about this on google, has anybody else had this problem?

Turns out my issue was just a problem with the sound settings in the ps3 that we changed after hooking up a new sound system and the game freezing problems we had were unrelated.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all the Lady Killer set does is make Wei look like a complete idiot and/or huge douchebag when wearing it.

It adds a couple seconds to the dates that imply that he got some. That's it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But the regular dates have that anyway. Or are you saying it adds even more?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

But the regular dates have that anyway. Or are you saying it adds even more?

Yeah.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've not actually seen any evidence of this; Someone posted a description of what happened at the end of their date with... I think it was the karaoke hostess? while wearing the lady killer gear, and it was EXACTLY what happened when I did that date and I was wearing jeans and a vest. I mean, its possible there is some subtle point that is different that he didnt mention, but nothing major. Its annoying you cant re-do the dates like you can story missions because then you could try it with and without to check, but as far as I know the whole "effects the date missions" thing came from one ign article (which was about half a paragraph long) that isnt necessarily the best source. The only thing we KNOW the lady killer set does is makes female pedestrians comment on you looking good.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Faltion posted:

Any clues for when DLC is coming out for this game? I've 100%'d it and now there's really nothing else to do and I want to play more.

Also you really can't go on a murderous rampage in this game, unlike most other titles in the genre, and that makes me sad. I know it's a cop game and you're the good guy and all, but drat, start a firefight and you have every cop in HK on your rear end with assault rifles within am minute who riddle you with bullets.

That was the exact problem I had with GTA 4, punch someone or *gasp* fire a gun and here comes the cavalry, and you aren't getting away from anything over three stars. I love the way Sleeping Dogs does it. The only time you get a wanted level is when you provoke a cop into drawing his gun so you can take it from him, and then you have a few seconds to get back to your McLaren F1/Lambo Murcielago/weird Nissan GTR-Ferrari 599 hybrid/moped and start running, or else you have to shoot your way out--which is actually possible to do without just getting rammed and immediately having your tires shot out then trying to evade two helicopters and roadblocks every single block in every direction.

The wanted level and action hijack evasion system, along with random bad guys to kung fu the poo poo out of are why I play this game

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Does anyone know. Of a list of the cars in the game, with ratings or anything? I don't want to waste ally money on a rubbish car :s anyone have any favorites?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got a code for this when I bought a new video card and was pretty excited to play it. I searched the thread and saw a few other people with the same problem I'm having but no definitive answer:

I managed to play through the beginning parts of the game fine, and it ran smooth as silk. However, I got hit with a loading screen that would never finish (right after getting the Just Cause 2 pack?) and every time I load the autosave it's right before that and I get sent to the never-ending loading screen again.

My video card drivers are up to date, and I've also tried loading the game on the lowest graphics settings. I downloaded the High Res texture pack as well.

try verifying the game cache on Steam. If that doesn't work, reinstall it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Roblo posted:

Does anyone know. Of a list of the cars in the game, with ratings or anything? I don't want to waste ally money on a rubbish car :s anyone have any favorites?

The best class A car is the "Blast". It was one of the first that I bought, and I never wanted to use anything else. And by default it comes in yellow. :3: My car valet brought me a ton of these.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I am forever going to throw the valet off the bike because he takes way too long to dismount.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

The best class A car is the "Blast". It was one of the first that I bought, and I never wanted to use anything else. And by default it comes in yellow. :3: My car valet brought me a ton of these.

If you're looking for pure speed, the Velocita is the fastest car in the game. However, the Tuono, while slightly slower than the Velocita, has much better handling. The Tuono will set you back about $600,000 though (base price without Dai Lo/price-lowering suit bonuses).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm the opposite. I've got mad love for the valet. Homeboy shows up, drops off my car, but I get a little impatient and get in the passenger side. He exits so I can do my thing. I drive to a different loving island, then stop and get out to pick up a shrine and beat up some dudes for a lockbox. As I'm opening the box and start to head out, I see the valet running to me across the bridge just so he can say he hopes the delivery's okay.

What a guy.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

isk posted:

I'm the opposite. I've got mad love for the valet. Homeboy shows up, drops off my car, but I get a little impatient and get in the passenger side. He exits so I can do my thing. I drive to a different loving island, then stop and get out to pick up a shrine and beat up some dudes for a lockbox. As I'm opening the box and start to head out, I see the valet running to me across the bridge just so he can say he hopes the delivery's okay.

What a guy.
One time I somehow managed to get the Valet to sit in the passenger seat of my Bisai while I drove around town looking for security vans to jack. I like to think that when I jumped out he'd take over and drive the car back to the garage.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
The only time I hate the valet is when he dings up my car bringing it in or when he tells me he can't deliver a car cause he's busy. MOTHERFUCKER what do I pay you for?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SixtySix posted:

try verifying the game cache on Steam. If that doesn't work, reinstall it.
Thanks, the first time I checked it it didn't tell me anything was wrong, but after I restarted, I needed to download 3 GB worth of replacement files :stare:

Everything seems to be working fine now. It's really cool to play an open world of a place that you've actually been to and can pick out things you recognize (though I suppose if you lived there it would be more picking things that aren't right...)

So the game only takes place on HK Island and doesn't include Kowloon? I guess that's why the MTR (subway) isn't in the game? Things are of a density that I'm just running a lot of places anyway, I would probably just take the subway all the time, ha.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

If you're looking for pure speed, the Velocita is the fastest car in the game. However, the Tuono, while slightly slower than the Velocita, has much better handling. The Tuono will set you back about $600,000 though (base price without Dai Lo/price-lowering suit bonuses).

I'm with Parkingtickets. Blast is the third fastest car in the game and its handling is way, way superior to Velocita's or Tuono's. I've bought all three (with Dai Lo and the suit) and I greatly prefer Blast.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hmm. I am done with this game. It was quite fun. But I am pretty certain that I screwed myself out of getting level 10 triad. Replaying old missions gives me just scraps of exp, even if I wear the +15% triad stuff.

This is an unfortunate turnout.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
The real car to get is the 860 MHC is the poo poo. Looks baller but lowkey like i'd expect a triad to drive. Feels beautiful. It's my go to car.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I am forever going to throw the valet off the bike because he takes way too long to dismount.

I like throwing him out of every vehicle and chuckling when he says he hopes I like it

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Air is lava! posted:

Hmm. I am done with this game. It was quite fun. But I am pretty certain that I screwed myself out of getting level 10 triad. Replaying old missions gives me just scraps of exp, even if I wear the +15% triad stuff.

This is an unfortunate turnout.

At this point I'm more or less resigned to waiting for DLC triad missions to get my last half a level of triad tbh. You only get decent amounts of triad XP if you beat your previous score, but the early missions (the ones I didnt score well) generally dont seem to give much triad XP anyway.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

SiKboy posted:

At this point I'm more or less resigned to waiting for DLC triad missions to get my last half a level of triad tbh. You only get decent amounts of triad XP if you beat your previous score, but the early missions (the ones I didnt score well) generally dont seem to give much triad XP anyway.
Did you replay the earlier missions with the 15% Triad XP suit?

I think I hit 10 just by the second last mission, so it's doable but you need to farm some extra face so you can get the 15% XP suit as soon as you can.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Roblo posted:

I started getting mad when I was doing the races that had cars going way, way faster than mine. Figured I needed a new car to catch up and when I searched google, found this handy IGN guide. There's a speed and top speed charts you can look at that should give you a good idea for each car.

Spoilers for those who don't want to know what car is fastest per class, and I'm sure the guide goes on to explain all the missions and such if you go exploring, so be warned.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
So I maxed out my Police and Face levels and found all the jade statues for my melees but my Triad level is only still at 6. What are the chances that I'll hit 10 on that as well before the end of the game without redoing the older missions?

I don't know how far I'm into the game but I just handed over an USB to Pendrew in exchange for Jackie.

And I've been rocking the 15% Triad get up for a while now. I don't know why Triad scores are so hard to get. Everything else is so much easier and gives you more.

Stumbling Block fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 9, 2012

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
If you're at that point in the game, you're probably not going to hit 10. One thing that I kept in mind when I started my 2nd playthrough is to try and draw out the fights with as many varied moves as possible. Also never stop shooting in the car chase scenes. Shoot all 4 tires, spam the cars/bikes with bullets even after they've been disabled so you keep getting that sweet "Vehicle Damaged" bonus, shoot every head you see sticking out of a window, and just basically try to stall and take advantage of every single way you can score Triad points.

As an aside, having just played a few hours of SR3 for the first time, I found myself wishing the cars, gunplay, melee, and even small things like being able to switch objectives on the fly were like Sleeping Dogs. It's a pretty crazy game in its own right, though. Just not as smooth and fun as Sleeping Dogs.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Alright, I get that Yellow missions are Face, Blue Missions are Police, and what are green missions? Do I need to do these in any particular order to follow the storyline along?

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

Alright, I get that Yellow missions are Face, Blue Missions are Police, and what are green missions? Do I need to do these in any particular order to follow the storyline along?

Green are triad missions, or main story missions. You can do them in any order you want.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
My valet keeps showing up, but not bringing any vehicles. Unless there's some way for me to hop on his back and piggyback me around town, I'd like to figure out how to clear this glitch up. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

This is the PC version and I did make sure to set a valet vehicle in the parking garage.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ibntumart posted:

My valet keeps showing up, but not bringing any vehicles. Unless there's some way for me to hop on his back and piggyback me around town, I'd like to figure out how to clear this glitch up.
H...how is he doing that? Is he just running up to you? Bwaha.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I actually thought the fact that Cop XP gets maxed before the end of the game while Triad XP is almost impossible to max by the end had an interesting meta implication: at the start of the game you are very careful to avoid losing cop XP because the two forms of XP are independent, so there's no real reason not to do your best to drive safely. Meanwhile, you don't have very many martial arts moves and haven't mastered them yet, so while you are doing your best to gain triad XP, the stuff you are doing overall is pretty tame. Then as the game goes on there are more and more car chases where you are wrecking cars instead of escaping from cops--incentivising highly dangerous driving--while at the same time your cop XP maxes out well in advance of the rest of the story if you run around doing drug busts and stuff.

Soon, you come to the realisation that you're going to have a really hard time maxing out that triad XP because it's just not building up fast enough, and you start being more and more violent in your attempts to get three triangles for each mission. And because you finished all the drug busts ages ago, you've long since stopped doing any work that actually helps the cops over and above what you need to do in the main story itself. Eventually you're slamming cars into pedestrian filled sidewalks to wreck them and literally giving no fucks that you just lost two badges for killing innocents because hey, you maxed that bar out ages ago and that wreck just got you 30 triad XP!

I noticed that this had a direct reflection on my attitude to the gameplay that reflected the conflicted nature of the story. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but it felt kinda cool.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Croccers posted:

H...how is he doing that? Is he just running up to you? Bwaha.

He's like the Batman. I wait and wait, turning around to see if I can catch him coming, and then all of a sudden he's behind me greeting me. The thing is that sometimes he pantomimes as if he's getting off a vehicle, but there's nothing there (I would gladly drive an invisible sports car). Other times, though, he's just standing there.

It's almost as if Wei doesn't really have a valet and he's just some psychotic delusion or apparition.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I GUESS I'm showing my age, because James Hong is "Cartwright?! Cartwright!?"

The host from the Chinese Restaurant episode of Seinfeld. An amazing role, and absolutely hilarious.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ibntumart posted:

He's like the Batman. I wait and wait, turning around to see if I can catch him coming, and then all of a sudden he's behind me greeting me. The thing is that sometimes he pantomimes as if he's getting off a vehicle, but there's nothing there (I would gladly drive an invisible sports car). Other times, though, he's just standing there.

It's almost as if Wei doesn't really have a valet and he's just some psychotic delusion or apparition.

Have you tried changing the valet vehicle in your garage?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

isk posted:

I'm the opposite. I've got mad love for the valet. Homeboy shows up, drops off my car, but I get a little impatient and get in the passenger side.
"Sorry, I have no time right now."
"D'f-- ahhhHHHH."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

"Sorry, I have no time right now."
"D'f-- ahhhHHHH."

What causes that? He just cant find a route to where you are?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I GUESS I'm showing my age, because James Hong is "Cartwright?! Cartwright!?"

The host from the Chinese Restaurant episode of Seinfeld. An amazing role, and absolutely hilarious.

SEINFELD, FOUR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Reveilled posted:

Have you tried changing the valet vehicle in your garage?

poo poo poo poo poo poo, you can do that? I guess that it why he always bought me that one starter bike?

• Locked thread