Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What could I be missing to get 100% on story mode? I got Chie's, Yukiko's, and Kanji's joke endings, I picked every dialogue choice with Yu and even got the extra scene with Margaret. And I've obviously completed all the stories, they all have gold medals below their pictures. But I'm stuck on 99%.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it. I forgot Chie has two different choices to make, I had to get one of the options in the second one.

Heroic Yoshimitsu fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mental note: do not play this game immediately after playing Mortal Kombat. The difference in styles keeps screwing me up.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Thedude12 posted:

Man I play Akihiko and have a horrible time fighting against Yukkio. How should I get in without being zoned to death?

Superjumping can get you over a lot of her stuff and the active frames of your jump B coming down covers a lot of area since you're falling so fast. You can also come down with j.C right above her but you can be punished on block when you land.

Fans can be ducked under and punished by cancelling the duck into a throw or corkscrew. EX corkscrew has a lot of invincibility and will go through anything, so that's kind of a desperation thing to throw out. You can OMC to make it safe on block but Yukiko honestly doesn't get much damage off a punish and will only end up pushing you fullscreen so it's up to you to decide if spending 75 meter is worth getting in just once.

Once you're in the only thing you have to worry about is her DP which isn't that good. Another thing is her 2a low-profiling your standing normals but that doesn't come up too often unless you're trying a frametrap with 5b and she just mashes 2a and goes under it.

It's probably 6-4 in her favor but not a very hard 6-4. She doesn't have good ways to deal with his pressure except system-wide mechanics, but in the end they're better overall than the tools he has to get in during the neutral game. Expect a lot of early bursts if you manage to land a hit that will corner her and try to bait+punish them.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I thought EX Corkscrew was at enough disadvantage that she could get a CH 5B off it? Which gives her a really big damage punish, maybe 4k or so? Might be misremembering that though, I'd have to double check.

Edit: She can get CH 5B or FC 2C depending on what followup you want. I'm not a Yukiko player so I don't know her ideal combos, but I can get 2.5k for no meter or 3.6k for 25SP. That's not huge but it's decent enough.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 5, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, Shadow Labrys has Asterius, which is referred to as the "berserk form" of Shadow Labrys. They fight side by side in this case, though, which makes me wonder... if this game included the shadows of the regular folks, would we, for example, face Shadow Yosuke with a giant frog backing him up?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Speedball posted:

So, Shadow Labrys has Asterius, which is referred to as the "berserk form" of Shadow Labrys. They fight side by side in this case, though, which makes me wonder... if this game included the shadows of the regular folks, would we, for example, face Shadow Yosuke with a giant frog backing him up?

I like to pretend that 'berzerk' shadows don't turn into stupid-looking bosses, but instead get their own shadows that they have to accept to turn into a persona (or not accept, and on and on...)

(Asterius isn't stupid looking, forgive me!)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Seeing as how there are most likely going to be more games in this series, I wonder what turn the story will take from here. Will it keep being about new characters made for p4a? Or will it delve into things from P3 and P4?

I mean as long as I get cool new characters with cool playstyles I don't really care, just a thought.

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.

JackDarko posted:

Seeing as how there are most likely going to be more games in this series, I wonder what turn the story will take from here. Will it keep being about new characters made for p4a? Or will it delve into things from P3 and P4?

I mean as long as I get cool new characters with cool playstyles I don't really care, just a thought.

I don't really care about the story, so my hope would be that the next game is just "Persona 4 Arena: Non-Canon" and throw in characters from other SMT sub-series, like Raidou, Serph, The Demi-Fiend, etc... Probably not going to happen though :sigh: There's a handful of characters left to take from P3, but beyond that, who knows? Maybe they'll preview P5 characters, or go all the way back to P1 and P2.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JackDarko posted:

The only ideal eventual route would be Crossover series like Marvel vs Capcom.

Only SMT should be fighting people from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I'd also like the soundtrack to be actual licenced songs from their Rock and Roll counterparts that the characters are named from, but that might be pushing it.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

JackDarko posted:

Well, they could always bring in characters from previous Persona games, since they're probably in the same world.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

b0lt posted:

Well, they could always bring in characters from previous Persona games, since they're probably in the same world.

I bet he would have a Dive Kick in P4U/A

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I've been trials grinding lately because I am dumb like that, and I've gotten down to three painful trials left: Chie 30, Mitsuru 30, and Yosuke 30. Chie 30 is especially lovely because, even though I understand that I have to start with 214D for the Fatal Counter and that the God Hand has to hit as high as possible, I have not once gotten the 2A after the first God Hand to connect.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
I didn't believe people when they said it, but XBL is dead at my (admittedly very poor, C-) rank. filtering by fast connections and similar rank usually takes 2-3 minutes, and the end result is someone who has neither a good connection nor a rank within three steps of my own.

also people with bad connections (at least to me) skipping the intro scene. why do they do it LET THAT poo poo SMOOTH OUT GUY

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I think it's at the point where people that wanna take the game seriously won't really bother playing online. Especially ranked, player match is ok if you just wanna mess around with friends but the game feels so different online you just learn bad habits if you play online too much.

We are probably also at the point where the people that got it just because it was a Persona game have moved on as well.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yeah pretty much that. I've been playing online less and offline more. What I've been doing lately is starting 2 person player rooms with some name like "3 or 4 delay only" then spending anywhere from 10-45 minutes in training mode waiting for someone with decent connection to join and get a good set of matches in. Otherwise yeah, online + ranked = really bad habits, I'm proof enough of that.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
yeah, it's really too bad. I thought something like that might happen, which is why I wanted to get in on the ground floor, but then poo poo went kaboom and I couldn't play most of the last month. oh well

ohhhhhh welllllllll :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

yeah, it's really too bad. I thought something like that might happen, which is why I wanted to get in on the ground floor, but then poo poo went kaboom and I couldn't play most of the last month. oh well

At least you have the game.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cleretic posted:

At least you have the game.

What, did Atlus give the game a smaller than average run or something?

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

Vaerai Archon posted:

What, did Atlus give the game a smaller than average run or something?

I assume our unfortunate friend Cleretic is one of the poor, Persona-less fools in Europa

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

Are you anywhere vaguely on the east cost US? I still play online here and there. It's pretty dead online but a handful of good players still hang out on there, depending on where you are.

But yeah the netcode is pretty bad overall. It's playable to a degree, but this game has a pretty fair number of tight links/chains/escapes/etc, along with the fact that the lag pushes a lot of otherwise not-so-great mixups into the realm of unreactable online. Pretty much what you'd expect from delay based netcode though.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Feels alright to me, though most of my play time is online. Unless there's packet loss or something it never feels unacceptably bad (3 bars and up). I honestly don't understand why there isn't more people online, and I can't stand green bar connections in AE. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for lag since I'm having too much fun :shobon:

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Playing against Kanjis in high lag turned me off from online play altogether. Maybe one day we'll have online play in a fighter that lets you filter out all the assholes playing on wireless. A guy can dream, right? v:shobon:v

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

apple posted:

Feels alright to me, though most of my play time is online. Unless there's packet loss or something it never feels unacceptably bad (3 bars and up). I honestly don't understand why there isn't more people online, and I can't stand green bar connections in AE. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for lag since I'm having too much fun :shobon:

It's not really that bad. I can't do Aigis combos in 1 bar but 2 bar is like just ok enough that things work. 3 and higher feels pretty solid though, weird things still happen but it's online and you can't really get around that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Yeah as long as I filter by fast connection and Green/White connection, the game works wonderfully. The netcode could be better but the input buffers in the game make it perfectly playable with that delay.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are you anywhere vaguely on the east cost US? I still play online here and there. It's pretty dead online but a handful of good players still hang out on there, depending on where you are.

But yeah the netcode is pretty bad overall. It's playable to a degree, but this game has a pretty fair number of tight links/chains/escapes/etc, along with the fact that the lag pushes a lot of otherwise not-so-great mixups into the realm of unreactable online. Pretty much what you'd expect from delay based netcode though.

yeah I'm in Maryland, we actually met once before in person. I haven't gotten in much practice time, but I'm trying to learn Yukiko and often when I hit a button nothing will come out. which throws me off since I miss an input and now my setup is done for since Yuki's persona came back to her great.

nothing for it but to keep grinding away at it though, I mean it's really the only option. I guess I better learn to like 1- and 2-bar connections (though I seem to have 4-bars to other nearby FIOS users, which is cool) and play as much offline as I can to keep me honest

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

yeah I'm in Maryland, we actually met once before in person. I haven't gotten in much practice time, but I'm trying to learn Yukiko and often when I hit a button nothing will come out.

This happens to me a fair amount online actually, I haven't figured out why exactly yet. I've had a few times where I was literally mashing 5A as fast as possible and 5AAA came out too slowly to combo in a situation where it definitely should. Really weird, but I suspect it's just lag spiking causing inputs to get dropped or delayed something.

The bigger killer online though is trying to do precision instant block escapes, or landing 2-3F links where hitting the button too early is incredibly dangerous (Labrys and Yukiko are full of these uhg).

Anyway, throw me a friend request if you want to do some Player matches, I can use all the practice I can get, online or not. GT: Gwyrgyn

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

yeah I'm in Maryland, we actually met once before in person. I haven't gotten in much practice time, but I'm trying to learn Yukiko and often when I hit a button nothing will come out. which throws me off since I miss an input and now my setup is done for since Yuki's persona came back to her great.

nothing for it but to keep grinding away at it though, I mean it's really the only option. I guess I better learn to like 1- and 2-bar connections (though I seem to have 4-bars to other nearby FIOS users, which is cool) and play as much offline as I can to keep me honest

Where in MD, and do you go to any of the regular events?

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyway, throw me a friend request if you want to do some Player matches, I can use all the practice I can get, online or not. GT: Gwyrgyn

will do, though I probably won't have much time until the end of the month (gotta get some applications finished)

edit: added, like I said I'm still extremely bad and tired all of the time and probably won't have time to put in for real until the beginning of october

Lynx Winters posted:

Where in MD, and do you go to any of the regular events?

Olney, and no not really, though I've heard about em. I don't have a car atm so it's not easy for me to move around, though I did go to the first tournament at White Flint

EQFiddleCastrol fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 13, 2012

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
fubarduck is doing a series where he plays 100 ranked matches with every character in Persona 4 Arena. He's going left to right on the character select screen, so the first character he's playing is Labrys and after that he's playing Mitsuru. This is the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHqJXkRuSA

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

I suck at this game but if you're on PS3 I need to add a few locals to play against. I've got a ridiculous connection as well. I play from Georgetown or Rosslyn most of the time.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

Olney, and no not really, though I've heard about em. I don't have a car atm so it's not easy for me to move around, though I did go to the first tournament at White Flint

I actually work about 10 minutes from Olney. We don't exactly do meetups but we got a couple of guys down there who play stuff. Actually playing a little more Aquapazza at the moment since that just released though.

Fubar's thing is an interesting concept that I like, but his Labrys is pretty bad so there isn't much to learn about playing her through that vid. He makes some good points here and there but also is wrong about some other stuff.

Which characters does he actually play? I'll be interested to see those when they come around.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I actually work about 10 minutes from Olney. We don't exactly do meetups but we got a couple of guys down there who play stuff. Actually playing a little more Aquapazza at the moment since that just released though.

Fubar's thing is an interesting concept that I like, but his Labrys is pretty bad so there isn't much to learn about playing her through that vid. He makes some good points here and there but also is wrong about some other stuff.

Which characters does he actually play? I'll be interested to see those when they come around.
I believe his main is Teddie. Teddie's pretty far to the right on the character select screen, so it's gonna be a while before fubar gets to him.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

may contain peanuts posted:

I believe his main is Teddie. Teddie's pretty far to the right on the character select screen, so it's gonna be a while before fubar gets to him.

What the hell am I supposed to do with Teddie besides spam items and do 5AA 2B j. A j. B j. D?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
As far as I can tell, Teddie has basically two goals:

1. Get the opponent into the corner
2. Piss off the opponent

You can accomplish the first with clever item tosses and counter hits on 5B; a correctly-placed missile will also corner them. From there, you can get the following combo off almost any starter:

quote:

5B hj.C j.B j.A 5B 5C 2B j.A dj.A 236A 236236D (hold until they touch the tail of the missle) 214B

It does 4000-5000 damage depending on what you started it with and puts the opponent in Fear, which means if you can follow up with a 2C you can pretty much kill the opponent with two combos. Getting the height on the hj.C is the trickiest part, but you can get the timing down with a little practice. If you have the meter, you can do 214AB instead for Rage, which makes setting up a combo even easier.

As for the second, remember the item order and throw out anything that you can't use in combos. Use Circus Bear occasionally to mess with the opponent's head.

Finally, it's not a very good damage to meter cost ratio, but if you hit the opponent with 5B you can follow it up with 236A and OMC into a basic midscreen combo.

Incidentally, I think the A version of 2D Bear might have some value if you're playing a rushdown-heavy opponent; it puts you at a lot of advantage if you can make them whiff an attack. Risky, though.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 13, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Groghammer posted:

Teddie stuff

Got a video of that combo? Working on it right now and I'm not sure exactly how the hop's supposed to work there

e: and also I can't get the first 5C to connect

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 13, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Whole bunch of assorted Teddie combos including those corner ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF_X9dpKM7U
The one at 1m53s is super practical so you might try learning that one first.

Here's a combo video with some item specific things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O744EONlaKU

Here's another random a combo video with some situational FC combos and such: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KAwieAA-Zk

Should be able to piece it together from watching those corner combos.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Whole bunch of assorted Teddie combos including those corner ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF_X9dpKM7U
The one at 1m53s is super practical so you might try learning that one first.

Here's a combo video with some item specific things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O744EONlaKU

Here's another random a combo video with some situational FC combos and such: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KAwieAA-Zk

Should be able to piece it together from watching those corner combos.

Thanks dude, I'll get started on that

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Fungah! posted:

Got a video of that combo? Working on it right now and I'm not sure exactly how the hop's supposed to work there

e: and also I can't get the first 5C to connect

Sorry about that, that was a typo. Just go from 5B to hj.C.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

SilentD posted:

I suck at this game but if you're on PS3 I need to add a few locals to play against. I've got a ridiculous connection as well. I play from Georgetown or Rosslyn most of the time.

360 only, sorry bro :(. this is the first game to make me wish I had a PS3 instead, as everyone I know either has it for PS3 or for both system.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I really wouldn't be worth anyone's time with my current skill level anyway. I remember playing you at Jack's (Starcreator's) party in BlazBlue right before I dropped the game and you demolished me and my friend. I can just imagine how I'd fare in P4A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I know it's a drive but if you can get down to Waldorf on Tuesday nights we got a pretty wide skill range so you can get some offline experience against people that might be your level along with people that might teach you some things.

• Locked thread