Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Reichstag posted:

It's because they are too awesome, seriously.

Do you have one? Less than 24 hours and I'm already hooked. Paired with a Jupiter 8 (or equivalent) it kicks mucho rear end.

This weekend I'm going to a balloon festival, guess which camera I'm taking with me. :>
(and an Orion 15 wide)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
This is what happens when I rely on zone focus because the rangefinder on my XA is badly out of calibration :downsgun:

Pylsur by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Thanks to Man_of_Teflon, though, I have a new, perfectly calibrated XA! :neckbeard:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

Thanks to Man_of_Teflon, though, I have a new, perfectly calibrated XA! :neckbeard:

Does Man_of_Teflon know how to make the rangefinder patch visible again on an XA?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

Does Man_of_Teflon know how to make the rangefinder patch visible again on an XA?

I didn't get mine fixed, I just bought another one :o:

Dim rangefinder patch usually means you just need a good cleaning!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

maxmars posted:

Do you have one? Less than 24 hours and I'm already hooked. Paired with a Jupiter 8 (or equivalent) it kicks mucho rear end.

I used to have one, first with a Jupiter-8 and then with a Nokton 50/1.5 and it was fantastic, but I ended up selling it when I realized I didn't shoot street very much.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Reichstag posted:

I used to have one, first with a Jupiter-8 and then with a Nokton 50/1.5 and it was fantastic, but I ended up selling it when I realized I didn't shoot street very much.

Ah I see. Understandable!

I love the "Voigtlander Germany since 1756" (or something) writing on the top and the "Made in Japan" stamp on the bottom. I want to believe they were just loving with us.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

eggsovereasy posted:

Quickest way fix a rangefinder is to put a tiny bit of tape over the spot, worked well on Minolta Hi-Matix 7sii.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Spedman posted:

Quickest way fix a rangefinder is to put a tiny bit of tape over the spot, worked well on Minolta Hi-Matix 7sii.
Yep, cut a tiny piece of tape, color it dark with a black marker, and stick it over the center of the view finder.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Lady with Dog by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

acros good

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You want some salt to go with that pepper?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

http://youtu.be/k4onJ7Z2MLI

Better now?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Reichstag posted:

acros good, but picture severely overexposed because of wrong metering

acros grain in nearly blown-out areas bad

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

First time shooting Astia and I love it!

Juria by alkanphel, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alkanphel posted:

First time shooting Astia and I love it!

I absolutely love the look of Astia, I've been dying to use some Fuji colour reversal films, especially Astia and Provia 400x.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

wrong thread oops.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

atomicthumbs posted:

acros good, but picture severely overexposed because of wrong metering

acros grain in nearly blown-out areas bad

You just need to shoot larger formats. :v: I didn't see any weird grain in this shot overexposed by 7 stops...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

You just need to shoot larger formats. :v: I didn't see any weird grain in this shot overexposed by 7 stops...

That is such a fantastic subject for LF.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
I'm looking to get a few shots of touristy destinations while I'm in Paris, and I'm wondering how that effect is achieved, MrBlandAverage. It's done with an ND filter, right? Is there a guide anywhere online to help me perfect it. I won't have many chances to go back to retake the photos, heh.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

scotty posted:

I'm looking to get a few shots of touristy destinations while I'm in Paris, and I'm wondering how that effect is achieved, MrBlandAverage. It's done with an ND filter, right? Is there a guide anywhere online to help me perfect it. I won't have many chances to go back to retake the photos, heh.

Yep, it's the B+W 10-stop ND and it was supposed to be 1 min f/64 but was actually 1min f/5.6 :haw:
Use Acros or else be sure you know how much to correct for reciprocity failure.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Would these shots be possible with any type of color film?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

With an ND filter, you're just limiting the amount of light going through the lens, lengthening the time it takes for a correct exposure. So yes it would work with any kind of film as well as on digital sensors.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

scotty posted:

Would these shots be possible with any type of color film?

Yeah, you'll just have a color cast to deal with, not only from the differing reciprocity failure of each color layer, but also from a filter that dense.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Bolinas Afternoon, Fog Retreating by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Acros good

Miskatonic
May 16, 2010

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
How do you guys save money with film? I mean, $7 developments + CD's add up. :/

And developing film is practically impossible on your own unless if it's black & white and you've got your own scanner.

I prefer analog over digital (probably because my DLSR is corrupting all of my drives), I like that I only need the bare minimum. Do you really need all of those menus and HD video?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Miskatonic posted:

How do you guys save money with film? I mean, $7 developments + CD's add up. :/

And developing film is practically impossible on your own unless if it's black & white and you've got your own scanner.

I prefer analog over digital (probably because my DLSR is corrupting all of my drives), I like that I only need the bare minimum. Do you really need all of those menus and HD video?

You really can't save much money with film. Buying a scanner can help, so can shooting B&W and home developing, or you can find some place cheaper to get your C41 developed even if it means you have to wait for mail out service. Frankly film is getting more expensive all the time. I shoot film because I like it and will continue to do so as long as film is available.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of not-B&W, what do you dudes with MF outfits shoot for slides?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I'm one of those people who's going to shoot film until it's gone completely, even if it is bankrupting. You can't really save money in the long run. You could always bulk buy film and load it yourself, maybe even develop yourself, then buy a scanner but there's still so much money to go into it.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 10, 2012

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

I like Astia and Velvia 50. Astia has been discontinued though so I don't expect to find much more of it.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

MrBlandAverage posted:

So basically those small wheels on your camera (you know, aperture, shutter speed) are just there to show off and look pro? :D

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

maxmars posted:

So basically those small wheels on your camera (you know, aperture, shutter speed) are just there to show off and look pro? :D

Look at this guy, using a camera with dials.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Miskatonic posted:

I've said this too many times, but if you can do B&W you can do E6 and C41, it's really not hard, all you do is follow the instructions to the letter in terms of development times and you can't go wrong.

evil_bunnY posted:

I shot a lot of Ektachrome GX and expired Ektachrome (like 10 years expired), I found I really hate Provia 400X and don't mind playing with Velvia.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Miskatonic posted:

How do you guys save money with film?

Buy more cameras! I've got three 35mm rangefinders, that would have cost like $30,000 in digital. I'm ahead of the game for the next $29,800 in film costs!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

I shoot Velvia 50 for nature shots, Provia 100F and 400X are great for general purpose photos. And like 8th-samurai said, Astia is wonderful but out of production. Here are some headshots I did recently in the studio with Astia:

Jun by alkanphel, on Flickr

ABC by alkanphel, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Miskatonic posted:

How do you guys save money with film?
As others have said, shooting film isn't really about saving money. It's about shooting film.
To keep costs from spiraling out of control, what I do:
1. Buy cheap film. No, cheaper than that. Free is best, and can show up in surprising places. Cheap means expired, typically. Ebay, Craigslist (or local equivalent), and photo forums such as the Dorkroom are good places to look for el-cheapo filmo.
2. Scan it yourself. My local camera shop charges less than $4 for develop-only, but about $10 if they scan it and put the scans on a CD. Their scans are decent - the white balance and tone will be reasonably good, and they're good at avoiding dust, but they're not $6 good.
2a. A used flatbed scanner with lid-light for transparencies (i.e. film) costs almost nothing; mine was $20. New, something like the well-regarded Epson V500 goes for around $100-150. These are not large numbers.
2b. If you're like me, you'll run into problems with your shooting (exposure errors, poor composition, slightly missed focus) before you run into the limitations of your scanner. You'll get better at scanning technique very quickly, it's a much less complicated skill than shooting. When you reach the limits of your scanner, an upgrade will cost considerably less than a new DSLR body or mid-to-high-range lens, which would be the typical "I've-reach-my-limits" upgrade path in digital.
3. Develop it yourself. Spedman is absolutely, 100% correct - it's not hard at all. Can you follow a recipe and not accidentally kill your dinner guests? Yes? Good, you can develop film. It takes about the same amount of time as making an average, every-day kind of meal. At least, for me.
4. Indulge the urge to blow money on photo stuff only in the realm of film. Buy a big lot of film that will take months to shoot - that's only gonna cost someone like me $40-60. Buy a new-to-you manual-focus lens - again, from about $40 up to maybe $200 for something extra-shiny. Buy a new-to-you SLR or rangefinder (obviously, the first new-to-you film SLR you buy should be a Pentax ME, MX, or ME Super).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Untitled by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Edit:

Coyote Land, Fog Sea by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I've processed far more photos over the past couple of days than I usually do in a month.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 11, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I just got my second set of overly dense negs from this new lab and after developing, scanning, and tax one roll cost me $28bux. They did a good job with developing my film so I may use them for my odd rolls in the future, but I definitely need to find another lab if I want to continue developing C41 not at home. I'm totally getting a god damned scanner because ten rolls of film scanned by these guys is more expensive than a V600 and a film holder.

I'm not sure how i feel about the grain on Kodak Gold 400, but it was definately worth the money to get confirmation that my dad's old PEN-EES works.

Before I go posting photos should I post future photos from this camera in this thread, the Point and Shoot, or the toy camera thread?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Wikipedia says it's a point and shoot, I wouldn't call them a toy camera.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Mr. Despair posted:

Wikipedia says it's a point and shoot, I wouldn't call them a toy camera.

Well then I'll just go hang out with my point and shoot buddies then. :colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Have fun over there with the non Pentax ME Super loser krew. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

What's a good digital incident light meter I can find for $100 or less used? Is there one that cheap that has good low-light capability and can also do spot metering?