Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I can't imagine why somebody wouldn't want to ride that thing for more than a thousand miles. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Problem for the guy I bought mine off of is that he was pretty short and the connies are not really made for vertically challenged people.

He ordered his so he really couldn't sit on it first.

His loss, my gain! :buddy:

Although being from Ft. McMurray, losing a few K $$$ isn't really a big deal. It's not much of a stretch when I say that most people that work in the oil sands are pulling in 6-figures $$... he was for sure as he was an Electrical Engineer.

Edit: And yeah, Backfire, 2010 Neptune Blue.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nice bike, you should put that GIF on your Geocities page.

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

Not my bike, but the local utility company had an electric motorcycle on display for a few hours. The two models in the brochure claimed a range of 58 miles and 28 miles. The one in the picture has a top speed of around 68, and they take about 2 hours to charge.

So I'm not sure who they're selling these to really. But album here for anyone curious. It was just sitting out, and wasn't a demo or anything, so I have no idea what it sounds like.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

follow that camel!! posted:

Not my bike, but the local utility company had an electric motorcycle on display for a few hours. The two models in the brochure claimed a range of 58 miles and 28 miles. The one in the picture has a top speed of around 68, and they take about 2 hours to charge.

So I'm not sure who they're selling these to really. But album here for anyone curious. It was just sitting out, and wasn't a demo or anything, so I have no idea what it sounds like.

Looks like the 1990's idea of a THE FUTURE bike. It's no Empulse.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A guy at work has a Vectrix (we get some special deal on them, and charging points in the car park) and it's completely silent apart from tyre noise.

Although I'm no fan of superscoots, it actually looks okay, certainly no worse than any of the petrol-driven ones, and seems to have the requisite comfort, storage space etc - his only real complaint is that it's really loving heavy (and he was a BMW rider before this).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I spent a year on an electric scooter, basically a dinky china scooter with the engine stripped out and replaced with locally sourced hub motor and a big LiFePo battery.

Apart from the obvious build quality issues that comes with anything chinese it was excellent for inner city commuting, topped out at 50kph and would run 40-50km on a full charge.

I'm currently on the fence about if I should sell it or keep work commuting on it, since my regular commute is barely 4 km through city traffic, which isn't even enough to get the motorcycle up to temp.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

follow that camel!! posted:

I like how it looks semi-sleek it looks until the ugly eye-stalk-turn-blinkers come shooting out of the front of the fairing. :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ola posted:

Nice bike, you should put that GIF on your Geocities page.

Hah, I see I did save it as a GIF. That at least explains some of the compression looking odd. Thanks. :)

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Hi I bought a drag bike and now complain constantly about not being able to turn or get good gas mileage. Then I get a nice empty road with a high speed limit that lets me reach the VBoost and I remember why I bought it, and that I would absolutely buy it all over again. It's a bit like that feeling when you first start to drop on a roller coaster... but you get to operate the roller coaster and ride it at the same time.

It looks right at home in a mix match of sport tour and cruisers.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 4, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

Hi I bought a drag bike and now complain constantly about not being able to turn or get good gas mileage. Then I get a nice empty road with a high speed limit that lets me reach the VBoost and I remember why I bought it, and that I would absolutely buy it all over again. It's a bit like that feeling when you first start to drop on a roller coaster... but you get to operate the roller coaster and ride it at the same time.

It looks right at home in a mix match of sport tour and cruisers.

I remember my first experience of V-Boost, I was riding pillion on my friend's new Max. It was like the Millennium Falcon hitting light speed. There's nothing quite like it.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Linedance posted:

I remember my first experience of V-Boost, I was riding pillion on my friend's new Max. It was like the Millennium Falcon hitting light speed. There's nothing quite like it.

It is something all together different. There are bikes out there with more torque and more horsepower, and those bikes get better mpg's and have better handling. Yamaha knew what they were doing when they made the VMax launch at 6k though. It's almost perfectly timed so that you're pretty much done with your shifting and just hunkered down with the throttle open and then out of nowhere the sound of the engine changes, the bike shifts about, and you're hoping you have a good grip on the handle bars.

The first time I hit it my jaw literally dropped open and I muffled into my helmet 'hooooly shiiit' then eventually remembered to shift up to 4th and 5th gear. There are mods available that change it down to 3k so you can hit it more often, but it's kind of nice to leave it as a once in awhile thing so I intend to leave it at stock 6k activation. I still get that odd feeling in my stomach like I'm falling half the time I use it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So how different is the V-Boost thing than secondaries opening up on a modern bike like the ZX14 or Concours 14?

That asked, I secretly lust for a V-Max and will someday own one. Might be a newer gen though although the older ones have a soft spot in my heart. I think I still have a sales brochure from when I almost bought one brand new in 1999/2000 or so.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 5, 2012

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I don't know the difference exactly. This is the first I heard of secondary/sub throttle/butterflies on bikes like those. A quick read and it sure sounds like a very similar thing, but because there are many threads asking what they do I'm inclined to believe there's some fundamental difference. If not in tech then in application.

The engine pitch changes and you just blast when the V-Boost hits. Very similar to the way you feel a turbo charged v6 going to work as you just punch it in second gear and the gforce pushes you back a bit. It's the same sort of sensation but it seems like it hits at the top end of the natural power band. So when you would normally be settling down and in you actually start to accelerate even faster.

I've been pining for the older and smaller one and was sad when it was re-designed. I don't like the mass of an 1800+ anything and hate that trends continue going up. You should not be able to get a smaller engine in a Scion than in a Triumph Rocket III. The gen-II has improved handling (not necessarily good handling) and fuel injection which have been badly needed on the max, but I wasn't willing to trade the nimble frame for them. I plan to own this bike until I'm old and broken and buy a Goldwing or trike or whatever.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

So how different is the V-Boost thing than secondaries opening up on a modern bike like the ZX14 or Concours 14?

That asked, I secretly lust for a V-Max and will someday own one. Might be a newer gen though although the older ones have a soft spot in my heart. I think I still have a sales brochure from when I almost bought one brand new in 1999/2000 or so.

The V-boost butterflies are essentially like crossfeed valves. Below v-boost they are shut and each carb supplies it's own cylinder with air/fuel mixture. As they open to full, they permit each cylinder to draw all the air/fuel mixture from both carbs on that bank. Don't know if that's the same or not but it's awesome.

a picture:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, so essentially it's like suddenly increasing the carburetor bore and jetting by about 1.4x its base value. Welp :psyduck:

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Here's a video of it in action on an 85 that's about as close of a representation I can find on youtube. You can hear the difference in the bike at the top end and see there's enough torque that he actually continues increasing speed as he shifts. He's proper dragging and climbing so he keeps it in vboost rpm's through all shifts once he gets there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkik6KQMhk

Personally I hope I never get that good at it - seems it would take all the fun out of it :P I probably don't have much to worry about considering all my drag practice is against nobody and is done on rural stop sign controlled roads with 50+ speed limits and expressway on ramps.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My new bike!

(colour from my phone is pretty washed out... she's a lot more red than that!)

I think I'll call her Vanna on account of her number plate being almost all vowels...

Wow, now this is how a motorcycle should feel... and sound. Mightily impressed, and I haven't even been on the motorway yet. Everything is just so effortless (except for maybe the hydraulic clutch... a bit heavy, that). I got her for a fair bargain, 14.5k miles on the clock, full service history, alarm, heated grips, a few age related marks but overall pretty decent shape. Even most of the paint is still on the engine! It'll need a new rear tire probably by spring (the pilot power on the back is pretty hexagonal in profile, will be replaced with a pilot road 2 to match the front), and a rack and box for the back.
As the English say, I'm well chuffed!

Jerk n Clean
Aug 29, 2012
Got my cibby back after a bin in march, I've forgotten how to ride a sportsbike.
All of the revs, it's hard after riding a sumo.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Linedance posted:

My new bike!

Nice. I've always had a soft spot for Ducati. Is that a Rider Scan I spy in the fairing? Those seem so popular in euroland, and I've never seen one in the states. I'm considering getting one because now that I know they exist they just seem so useful.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Euro-trip setup, comprising all my poo poo for 6 weeks away. It's more organised than it looks; I pack normal people clothes, waterproofs, thermal gear, bike cover, pump etc loose under bungies to allow quick access. p.s Austria is gorgeous.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I want to see you get that knee down.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music
My first death machine road bike, got it primarily to practice and do the motorbike license test on. 1983 GSX750ES.

Been riding this in the woods for the past year:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Posting the latest picture of my new 636 cuz why not:

Soon to come: either a 14/43 or 14/49 sprocket combo with new RK 520 GXW Series gold chain (all three sprockets are coming in the mail, I've to decide which rear to install), and Tuono mirrors coupled with aftermarket mirror mounts. After riding the gently caress out of it, I've deemed the Renthal dirt bike bars to be of the right height, with the new Corbin seat, but they could be a bit wider.

I'm keeping the stock exhaust and the ugly Acerbis headlight because it seems to be working with deterring people from loving with my bike while I'm living in the city.

Buergermeister
Oct 19, 2003

You serious?

BMW R1200R, not mine but I got it as a replacement bike while the tires on my Bonneville are being changed over the weekend. I'm not a big fan of the look, but BOY does it ride great! Everything's so easy and smooth with this one, you feel pretty much invincible... Here's to two sunny days ahead! :rock:

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
Cross posting from the 'tard thread cos i'm enjoying it so much.

My new 950 SMR

_Dav posted:

p.s Austria is gorgeous.

It really is a beautiful country, where about's did you go?

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

New Scrambler project a buddy and I are working on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Registered Loser posted:

New Scrambler project a buddy and I are working on.

Yum. How loud is it with that exhaust?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

doppler posted:

My first death machine road bike, got it primarily to practice and do the motorbike license test on. 1983 GSX750ES.

Been riding this in the woods for the past year:

I just went to do a chain replacement on one of those. It barfed a half a clutch rod and a lot of oil when I pulled the sprocket cover.

Then again, the owner failed at changing his own chain twice. The second time, the chain just fell off and left him stranded.

I really like the gear change indicator on those though.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

"[working title posted:

" post="407772023"]
Cross posting from the 'tard thread cos i'm enjoying it so much.

My new 950 SMR

It really is a beautiful country, where about's did you go?

This time was through the Tyrolia national parks and the southern routes. Slovenia turned out to be dissapointing, southern Germany is equally as awesome as Austria in parts.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Bought a weird thing.

1995 MZ Skorpion Sport. Sportbike with a Yamaha XT660 single cylinder engine. Awesomely fun to ride, and the Grimeca brake up front does a great job stopping the bike. Been having a lot of fun with this.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That front end is goofily lovable. Why does it appear to have 2 exhaust pipes?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

nsaP posted:

That front end is goofily lovable. Why does it appear to have 2 exhaust pipes?

Yamaha 600 singles have (had?) two carbs and one exhaust per valve. Makes everything nicely overcomplicated.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
My 79 CB650 is almost done.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

front wing flexing posted:

My 79 CB650 is almost done.

That is one cool-rear end looking motorcycle.

Wild On Thriller!
May 17, 2009
I have a new (old!) motorbike!

1971 Kawasaki A7 B Avenger
350cc 2-stroke parallel twin!
Rotary disc valve inlet!

Supposedly 42hp from the factory, 13.8s 1/4 mile

Anyway, pictures.

Intend to leave it pretty close to standard for the time being and just tidy a few things up. Replace fork gaiters, new decals, strip the tank and re bog & paint. Enjoy some classic vintage motorcycling in the New Zealand summertime.

She rides like a dream. Gearchanges are crisp and positive, the twin leading shoe drum front works great, fires up on first or second kick from dead cold.

The noise is something else, its like a having 2 big grumpy chainsaws buzzing away between your legs. The powerband feels gooood, from 5-8k all the action happens.

Old-mate-previous-owner was the High-Lord-King of vintage japanese 2-strokes. He had a few early RDs, an H1 & H2, another A7 SS, KR250, a full Kenny Roberts RD350 GP replica build and some more that I can't even remember. Plus a 328 and a MKII (both of the exotic car variety. Think expensive). Ultimate piner!

Wild On Thriller! fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 28, 2012

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Hello fellow Kiwi!

That thing's in really good condition, was it in a garage the whole time?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Check out my slick new trunk. Uses space age breathable materials.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Haha I just did the same thing with some straps for some cheap luggage to carry my poo poo around. You can throw a cargo net over the top to keep stuff in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Traded my 08 Versys with 30k for this with 10k (even trade, plus $100 for a new set of tires.) I wanted a Sportster but my dad(and money difference, I didn't want to spend anything) talked me into a Japanese bike. And, I test road a C83 and I couldn't stand the way it handled (because it has a giant engine.)