Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Jonny Quest posted:

They'll cart your butt to work just fine and swallow your weekend Costco run with ease. Have kids? Strollers slide in no problem. Golf clubs, too. Compared to an equal sized SUV they won't tip over, will get better mileage, handle better as the COG is lower, and the ride quality is usually better. They can be fast and nimble like a sports car, haul everything a small pickup truck can (minus dirt, but with some creative use of tarps...), and look drat good doing it. What's not to like?

Also, dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
The first car company that can make a desirable sporty minivan will make a fortune.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jonny Quest posted:

haul everything a small pickup truck can (minus dirt, but with some creative use of tarps...)
That's why you have trailers!

Honestly, something like a BMW 335i Touring is a good contender for "only car you'll ever need".

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

grover posted:

The first car company that can make a desirable sporty minivan will make a fortune.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What the hell does Earth Dreams Technology mean?

I thought it died after Honda bailed F1.

Also: That Mondeo/Fusion wagon is gorgeous.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 8, 2012

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

fknlo posted:

Glad those new Golf pictures didn't make me regret my recent purchase of a 2013 TDI. Hopefully they can keep the quality up and not take it the same route of the mk6 Jetta.

I've had a mkII gas, mkIV diesel and now a mkVI diesel, all manual, and drat if this new generation doesn't make me want to break the cycle and buy an odd-numbered Golf. Hopefully the next one will come out in 2020 when we're due for a re-up.

Also re: wagonchat, this weekend I'm picking up a turbo AWD wagon :whatup:
ninjaedit: with a manual :parrot:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

grover posted:

Dunno, the super-tall part of a minivan is pretty hard to balance with the sporty part. That road's been paved mostly with disappointment, it seems:

I'd settle for a midsized 3 row or 2.5 row (jump seats) station wagon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

Very true, when is that mazda wagon slated for release?

I don't think Mazda is planning the wagon for USA release.

quote:

"There are no plans to bring the Mazda 6 wagon to the U.S.," wrote Jeremy Barnes, a Mazda North American Operations spokesman in response to an e-mailed query from Edmunds.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Figures.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, the super-tall part of a minivan is pretty hard to balance with the sporty part. That road's been paved mostly with disappointment, it seems:

I don't think you'll see too many rear facing jump seats anymore due to safety regulations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
See below!

Cream_Filling posted:

Good news!

or

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
See below!

Good news!

or

The Mazda wagon still has way more chance of coming to market than those things.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

While it's not a wagon, here's another thing that pisses me off that it won't make it here, the Volvo V40:

It's also one of the safest cars ever tested by the European counterpart to the NHTSA.

root beer fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 8, 2012

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Pseudonym posted:

While it's not a wagon, here's another thing that pisses me off that it won't make it here, the Volvo V40:

It's also one of the safest cars ever tested by the European counterpart to the NHTSA.

That's pretty ugly.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

davebo posted:

Ford Mondeo/Fusion wagon for Europe.

Autoblog just mentioned the 1.0L and a hybrid 2.0, but if they released this stateside with the ecoboost 2.0 I'd seriously consider it. Of course I just got a new car in June and I tend to keep them 10+ years, but I really would have preferred a wagon like this.

This isn't getting enough love. drat that looks beautiful for a wagon. PLEASE come to the U.S.!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Honestly, something like a BMW 335i Touring is a good contender for "only car you'll ever need".
I just checked BMW UK's website, and there is no longer a 335i option for the 3-series Touring. Top-end engine options are 328i or 330d. :(

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

MrEnigma posted:

The sedan for a short time (at least) had the 6-speed as well. 2006-2009 at least. Not sure about the new ones.

Edit: I have an Accord Coupe. When I got it, it was because it was 6-cyl + 6-speed (2005). I would have liked the sedan instead however. For the money it's a pretty good car, and it's not a hefty hippo like the challenger/charger/etc. Plus it gets 30mpg, 0-60 in 5.9, etc...

Edit2: It is pretty small for anyone in the backseat though, kids fit ok, but adults, only for short trips.

The Challenger/Charger are like 6 inches longer than the current Accord and come much closer to a 50/50 weight balance. The current gen accord is definitely a whale. Mustang is smaller than the Accord coupe while we're at it.

The 2002-2005 era was a smaller coupe, made more sense I think.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
V6 accord coupes are extremely overpriced. You can get a fully loaded mustang v6 for about $5000 cheaper than an accord. More horsepower/torque, RWD, better handling, premium interior on the mustang is equal if not better than the accords, and the mileage is actually pretty similar.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 8, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

grover posted:

Its pretty much a 6 seat Accord wagon. Pity about performance though, the 2.4 struggles even in the current Accord.

InitialDave posted:

I just checked BMW UK's website, and there is no longer a 335i option for the 3-series Touring. Top-end engine options are 328i or 330d. :(

I think it'd be pretty hard to be disappointed with a 330d (and usually I strongly dislike diesels)

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Pseudonym posted:

It's on the same platform as the Focus, so in a sense, we already have that car.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

coolskillrex remix posted:

V6 accord coupes are extremely overpriced. You can get a fully loaded mustang v6 for about $5000 cheaper than an accord. More horsepower/torque, RWD, better handling, premium interior on the mustang is equal if not better than the accords, and the mileage is actually pretty similar.

Yeah but how many people looking at Accords are going to cross shop a Mustang?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's the same chassis as the last-gen European Focus, C1 as opposed to the new Focus' Global C platform. So, if you want that car in the US the Mazda 3 hatch is your answer.

uncle_skin
Feb 23, 2004

grover posted:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/02/23/the-fc-150-van-now-in-color/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

The Mazda wagon still has way more chance of coming to market than those things.

The Model S is on the market and some buyers have theirs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So, the new Range Rover, the L405 model, has been revealed. And it's a 500bhp, aluminium-monocoque, 150mph, five-seconds-to-sixty SUV that's nine hundred pounds lighter than the old one (but will still tow nearly eight thousand), with almost twelve inches of ground clearance and a stock wading depth of three feet.

Jesus Christ. :monocle:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 9, 2012

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

InitialDave posted:

So, the new Range Rover, the L405 model, has been revealed. And it's a 500bhp, aluminium-monocoque, 150mph, five-seconds-to-sixty SUV that's nine hundred pounds lighter than the old one (but will still tow nearly eight thousand), with almost twelve inches of ground clearance and a stock wading depth of three feet.

:getin: is pretty much all I have to say

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Holy crap that looks nice. How much is it going to cost, though?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

grover posted:

A lot, and the people that can afford them will never use them like that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

They start at just over £70,000, and go up to something like £115,000.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Left Ventricle posted:

It's on the same platform as the Focus, so in a sense, we already have that car.

Q_res posted:

It's the same chassis as the last-gen European Focus, C1 as opposed to the new Focus' Global C platform. So, if you want that car in the US the Mazda 3 hatch is your answer.

Oh, my mistake, I thought for some reason that the platform was a new one since Volvo is no longer owned by Ford, but didn't realize they were still able to use it. Oh well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Now that's thinking ahead! When global warming finishes melting all the ice in the world and causes the Thames to flood half of Chelsea, you'll need that wading depth just to get from your kid's Montessori school to your yoga class!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

grover posted:

Everyone always forgets about the 5.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Y'all do understand what the words "sporty" and "desirable" mean, right?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

InitialDave posted:

aluminium-monocoque
I'm sure they thought of this and tested everything, but is anyone else concerned about durability of this off road? The Defender is an aluminum body, but the frame is steel right?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

hedge posted:

I'm sure they thought of this and tested everything, but is anyone else concerned about durability of this off road?

What makes you think anyone has ever been concerned about the durability of any Land Rover product anywhere, on or off road?

I was listening to this week's Autoline Afterhours and it was just casually mentioned that no "legit", as in governed by the state insurance regulator, extended warranty company will warranty any Land Rover product. The potential repair costs are apparently at a point where there's just no money to be made in it. :lol:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Throatwarbler posted:

What makes you think anyone has ever been concerned about the durability of any Land Rover product anywhere, on or off road?

I was listening to this week's Autoline Afterhours and it was just casually mentioned that no "legit", as in governed by the state insurance regulator, extended warranty company will warranty any Land Rover product. The potential repair costs are apparently at a point where there's just no money to be made in it. :lol:

True story, at our shop we had a Land Rover towed in without wheels. Someone stole the OEM ones right off it and as an insurance claim they decided that they would only replace the OEM wheels and not pay out the money for the owner to buy other wheels, i.e. suspicion that he 'stole' them himself for the money payout to buy aftermarket rims and then 're-acquire' OEM ones for winter tire use.

It took Land Rover 6 months to ship us a new replacement set while it sat on blocks the entire time. I guess the British had to re-invent the wheel or something. The guy bought a Hummer right after he was informed of this apparently and sold the thing immediately after we put the rims on.

Moral of the story - if you want to piss off a Land Rover owner, don't slash his tires. Steal them! You'll cause him way more agony this way.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

So, the new Range Rover, the L405 model...

gently caress me sideways, that is a drat nice automobile. :aaa:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SouthLAnd posted:

gently caress me sideways, that is a drat nice automobile. :aaa:

It's similar to previous Range Rovers in that the only real drawback on paper is the fuel economy.

But that doesn't take reliability and servicing costs into account. Not to mention that you'll automatically be linked to the Chelsea tractor poseur SUV crowd.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cobb has a Focus ST for tuning. Their baseline dyno runs showed 224.7 hp, 283 ft.-lb. at the wheels from the factory (average of three runs) with a strange hp dip at 5300 rpm.

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-performance/1679-cobb-tunings-focus-st-info-status-dyno-results-etc.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

First drive of the SRT Viper: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/1209_2013_srt_viper_first_drive/

Looks like the new car is everything it's touted to be, massively increased comfort and refinement with better performance.