Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I want a manga that's about a relationship between adults that aren't idiots and act like normal people in a relationship. I'd prefer it to be josei because despite being a man I'm incapable of relating to most men (hence my preference for yuri).

Okay, it's not yuri and the manga's short and hasn't been translated past the fourth chapter (the anime's currently running though), but the josei series Natsuyuki Rendezvous sounds like it might fit the bill. Admittedly, by virtue of the premise it's not a straight romance, there's a lot of focus on loss and moving on, but all the characters actually act like adults and anything dumb anyone does seems pretty realistic (Hazuki's always putting his foot in his mouth, but he's not, like, anime-retarded).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anyone checked out Spotted Flower?

It's by the same artist as Genshiken. The story is an otaku dealing with his wife's pregnancy.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It's technically seinen I guess but the subject matter is pretty josei I didn't get an answer in the seinen thread: has anyone seen the Solanin live action movie? Is it any good?

Also Solanin is amazing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tae posted:

Anyone checked out Spotted Flower?

It's by the same artist as Genshiken. The story is an otaku dealing with his wife's pregnancy.
This is just...awkward, in a really bad way. It's really starting to look like the mediocrity of Genshiken 2 was a portent of things to come.

Mura
Feb 3, 2008
New Kimi ni Todoke

Finally, gently caress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mura posted:

New Kimi ni Todoke

Finally, gently caress.

Oh, huh. :wooop::siren ::3 : Those two stupid kids finally did it! Sawako didn't retreat back into herself when he tried to brush her off with "nothing being wrong" again and he and he finally let himself go back to being a dude in high-school who is dating a girl he adores.

I also thought that there's no way it was going to happen at all, or if it was, it was going to be at the end of the next freaking chapter or something.

It's so funny, I understand exactly why the author would keep stringing the readers along with "will they or won't they :ohdear:", and yet even knowing that it's manipulative didn't stop me from freaking out just a little bit when they finally kissed. Hell they kissed a couple times! And no one ran away or anything!

Way to go Pin, once again you save the day. :psyduck:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, yes. This is a development I can get behind.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Just in time for them to fall out and go through the exact same situation next volume.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hourou Musuko 112

E: Eh, scratch that. It was probably just, uh, a "restroom visit." Still, looks like Anna doesn't have anything to worry about.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 23, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, Wandering Son has been hard to read lately. It's still great, mind you, but it seems like the melancholy threads that have been there the whole time are really starting to move to the front now that the characters are hitting adolescence. A chapter or two ago when Nitori's mom just breaks down and starts crying because she's confused and worried and scared hit me extremely hard. And it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon.

I ran across some more Shimura artwork that I thought I'd share:

More pictures and an article about the exhibition here.

quote:

The Enoden (i.e. Enoshima Electric Railway) runs from Kamakura along Sagami Bay to Enoshima and on to Fujisawa. This area is the setting for Aoi Hana, and the Enoden is the little train Fumi and A-chan take to school. In real life this is a seashore vacation area with a lot of young out-of-town summer visitors, and the Enoden is happy to promote itself to them with different events. An event for anime and manga fans is a perfect fit. Put on in association with Manga Erotics F, publisher of the series, 'Aoi Hana Meets Enoden' was as close to perfect as you can get without coffee mugs

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Holy poo poo. Maki Maki has finally put out a chapter for Sasameki Koto.:stare:
Chapter 41

Now if they will only keep something like a decent schedule for releasing more. :ohdear:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 28, 2012

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yall should check out Bokura no Hentai. It's a bout three middle school boys who crossdress for different reasons. The style is heavily influenced by Wondering Son but the content is more explicit and way more depressing. The first volume(5 chapters) is all thats out till early 2013 unless someone scans the magazine.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished AIR, a series I had only seen one or two episodes of years ago and had hated back then. It's still pretty bad, easily KyoAni's worst series. However, I did rather like the Air in Summer OVAs, which seemed like the point where they had figured out what worked at long last for their Key adaptions and would continue the trend for the series to follow.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I did that myself last summer, marathoning Air and all. It probably is the worst out of the three big ones Key did (Air, Kanon, Clannad), but it got a tough break having only the span of a half season, so maybe two episodes were spent on each of the other girl characters. Otherwise I think it could be on par with Kanon if they had the space. And being the first of their major series, they suffered from some serious anime eyes and tiny mouth.

And I know you were mentioning KyoAni in general, but being reminded of Key works, the worst one I'd have to say is Angel Beats. Someone recently recommended it to me and I took up their suggestion because apparently the creator was part of Key before and there was supposed to be some romance so why not. I stopped in the middle of episode 12 (second to last one) because I honestly couldn't take any more of the generic animation, badly explained video game plot, and I hate all the characters. The only "tragic background" I cared for were the milquetoast main guy's train accident, but everything else seemed forced. For instance, when does something like Yuri's tragic murder ever happen in real life? Her siblings and her are left home alone in a rich house (and had no caretakers or butlers there?) and some thieves break in and brutally murder them one by one if Yuri (who's like 12 at the time?) doesn't find them some mad cash laying around the house. The rest is just an exercise in Japanese inserting guns because it looks cool and they have a flaming hard-on for real guns because they're not allowed to have them, and horrible stock characters. I really really hate the guy who spouts random English.

At least for this fall I want to try watching Say "I Love You" (Suki-tte Ii na yo) because the characters at least look somewhat grown-up. This series apparently has a manga, so has anyone read it and is it interesting?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Angel Beats is a show that has a lot individual moments that I really liked (I actually really liked the characters and style of humor, something that carried over to Persona 4 from the director), but the sum of its parts is pretty bad because it has some of the worst pacing issues I've ever seen. Supposedly Jun Maeda had storyboarded out something like 78 episodes' worth? At the very least, two cours would have gone a long way.

Hopefully the VN sees the light of day and fixes these issues.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Angel Beats is a serious case of not enough time to develop too many characters. There's a prequel manga running now that's beginning to develop some of them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

coathat posted:

Yall should check out Bokura no Hentai. It's a bout three middle school boys who crossdress for different reasons. The style is heavily influenced by Wondering Son but the content is more explicit and way more depressing. The first volume(5 chapters) is all thats out till early 2013 unless someone scans the magazine.

Ohhh man, this is great, I've almost read this entire thing through, lemme just :nws:finish off the last chapter:nws: and-

:stare:

:gonk:

Otherwise, it's alright.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

a kitten posted:

Yeah, Wandering Son has been hard to read lately. It's still great, mind you, but it seems like the melancholy threads that have been there the whole time are really starting to move to the front now that the characters are hitting adolescence. A chapter or two ago when Nitori's mom just breaks down and starts crying because she's confused and worried and scared hit me extremely hard. And it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon.

I'm actually kind of glad to hear that. One thing that's kind of constantly worried me about Wandering Son, especially after the anime adaptation, is that it would ultimately wind up taking the whole 'they're actually just confused' direct like just about every other series that even touches the issue pulls. I know it's kind of unfounded but it's always been a worry for me going into every series like this, and this is one of the few works that hasn't let me down yet.

...I honestly wish I knew Japanese well enough to send a fan letter to Takako Shimura.

Pollyanna posted:

Ohhh man, this is great, I've almost read this entire thing through, lemme just :nws:finish off the last chapter:nws: and-

:stare:

:gonk:
Honestly, on top of that end for chapter 5, I find the whole "I'M A PRETTY PRINCESS" thing the transsexual character keeps pulling really off-putting and ridiculous.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 10, 2012

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Willsun posted:

At least for this fall I want to try watching Say "I Love You" (Suki-tte Ii na yo) because the characters at least look somewhat grown-up. This series apparently has a manga, so has anyone read it and is it interesting?

I really like it, and think it's worth a read. One thing I think is a big positive in it's favor is the heroine stays mostly true to herself, while maturing and branching out. It does have a lot of standard shoujo cliches but I like the art style (especially the faces) and don't get aggravated by the plot lines. It's not very long either, so you don't lose too much time taking a look.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Miijhal posted:

I'm actually kind of glad to hear that. One thing that's kind of constantly worried me about Wandering Son, especially after the anime adaptation, is that it would ultimately wind up taking the whole 'they're actually just confused' direct like just about every other series that even touches the issue pulls. I know it's kind of unfounded but it's always been a worry for me going into every series like this, and this is one of the few works that hasn't let me down yet.

...I honestly wish I knew Japanese well enough to send a fan letter to Takako Shimura.
It seems clear at least that while Nitori may identify herself as female, her orientation is still such that she is attracted to Anna. (E2: Really should use proper pronouns for Wandering Son :/).

I'm not sure where Shimura is going with Takatsuki, though.

I'm not sure if that necessarily assuages your concern, though.

E: vvv Very, very cool!

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 17, 2012

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Rose of Versailles anime licensed for North America

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
I know that Rose of Versailles probably won't be getting a dub, but if it did I would be very curious to see how it went. There's potential for a dub to surpass the original there.

On the Hourou Musuko note, I'm kind of unhappy about the direction I think Takatsuki is going. It seems like she'll be the one going the copout route/probably ending up a clone of Yasuko from Aoi Hana, and seeing as transguys basically get no serious representation in manga, that would suck.

As for Bokura no Hentai, I'm having a hard time finding the characters believable/taking them seriously, they all sound kind of nuts. When the one who keeps seeing his dead sister is the most relateable of the bunch there's a bit of a problem.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Omniphile posted:

I know that Rose of Versailles probably won't be getting a dub, but if it did I would be very curious to see how it went. There's potential for a dub to surpass the original there.

It won't get one. Rightstuf said they're doing subs and that's it. It's too expensive for them to do dubs these days.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Nate RFB posted:

It seems clear at least that while Nitori may identify himself as female, his orientation is still such that he is attracted to his girlfriend.

Takatsuki is part of why I was nervous about it, when I think about it.

But yeah, from what I know, it's incredibly common for transwomen to be attracted to women. Possibly more common than being attracted to men.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

It seems clear at least that while Nitori may identify himself as female, his orientation is still such that he is attracted to his girlfriend.

My thoughts, now that I'm caught up. I think Takatsuki just doesn't really have anyone in her corner right now, and her only real friend is Chiba, who has been an extremely hostile and oppressive influence. If Nitori and Takatsuki were in the same school, and got to see each other and talk to each other more often, she might not be as confused as she is right now.

Meanwhile Shuichi has multiple friends that accept her, and a girlfriend that is just now starting to see her as a girl. But Takatsuki is really on her own at the moment, and surrounded by people who keep telling her all the things she doesn't want to think about (she's cute, she should model, etc). However she still reacts to it all with a lot of discomfort so it's possible that Takatsuki is still steadfast in wanting to be a man, and just not sure how to deal with all of the resistance that is presently suffocating her.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 17, 2012

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I've been trying to find a long, grounded yuri to read for awhile. Some of my favorite romance pieces are Aoi Hana, Fragments of Love, and the newly released Sweet Temptation.

Can anyone recommend something? It'd also help if it wasn't "I hate men" all over, or for it to have "Everyone is gay" syndrome.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quaunaut posted:

I've been trying to find a long, grounded yuri to read for awhile. Some of my favorite romance pieces are Aoi Hana, Fragments of Love, and the newly released Sweet Temptation.

Can anyone recommend something? It'd also help if it wasn't "I hate men" all over, or for it to have "Everyone is gay" syndrome.

Not that I haven't already recommended to you, but more importantly thanks for making me aware that Takemiya Jin has a new seriesone-shot out!

e: guess I remembered a few:
Candy started out decently enough, but has taken a turn for the stupid lately. Not sure if it'll recover or not.

Kimi Koi Limit maybe? I think Prism was pretty good, I think it's either on hiatus or cancelled though due to allegations of plagiarism/tracing. :(

And if you haven't read it yet: the very good and first yuri thing (first romance manga in general actually) that I read--Sasameki Koto which is finally getting some of the last chapters translated.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 19, 2012

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

a kitten posted:

Not that I haven't already recommended to you, but more importantly thanks for making me aware that Takemiya Jin has a new series out!

e: guess I remembered a few:
Candy started out decently enough, but has taken a turn for the stupid lately. Not sure if it'll recover or not.

Kimi Koi Limit maybe? I think Prism was pretty good, I think it's either on hiatus or cancelled though due to allegations of plagiarism/tracing. :(

And if you haven't read it yet: the very good and first yuri thing (first romance manga in general actually) that I read--Sasameki Koto which is finally getting some of the last chapters translated.

Yeah a friend of mine got me interested in Candy, and that nurse just had to go and ruin everything. I think there's only one more chapter of it too, which sucks.

Prism was great! It's on indefinite hiatus though since the author got caught tracing, yeah.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004

quaunaut posted:

Octave? Seems like the obvious suggestion but it wasn't listed, so, hey!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
New Kimi ni Todoke:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/kimi_ni_todoke/v15/c072/

Wherein Kazehaya picks up from where he left off last chapter, increasing his "chapters in recent history that don't end with him being a douche" count to 2 (I still think he was pretty stupid even here, but I'll at least attribute that to high school dumbass syndrome).

New Hiyokoi:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/hiyokoi/v06/c029/

The quality of the translation on this one doesn't feel very good. Maybe wait until a better one comes out if stuff like that bothers you. The chapter is cute though.

Also for good shoujo ai that hasn't been mentioned yet, check out Girl Friends

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I blinked and the KnT chapter was already over.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Wandering Son 113 is out. I'm super excited about this chapter because it contains my favorite character (Mako's mother).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. Actually I somehow missed the previous chapter as well.

Page 44 is adorable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I blinked and the KnT chapter was already over.

That's how I felt too, I'm glad that things are back to being (or at least trending) cute and sparkly again.

vkeios posted:

Wandering Son 113 is out. I'm super excited about this chapter because it contains my favorite character (Mako's mother).

She's awesome. I'm becoming worried about Mako lately though, his thoughts don't really seem to be on his side at all.

And now: :woop: The new group is cranking out Sasameki Koto updates with some real speed now. Finally I'll be able to read that big chunk that was missing!
Sasameki Koto 42

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thinking about making a thread for Can't See, Can't Hear, But Love, because god drat is it good and the latest chapter is very powerful.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Want to feel really, really angry at god drat shoujo?

Watch Bokura ga Ita.

I spent the weekend watching that series, then read the manga to finish it off over the last couple of days. It will make you rage over stupid teenage (and later, adults acting like stupid teenager) decisions, and half the time I wanted to throw a stapler across the room. But it's got some good dialog, and a generally likeable cast. Also, its not quite as stupid as Kimi no Iru Machi so I guess there's that, but that's a little bit of a low bar. But while the anime ends halfway through the story, the manga does carry the cast into adulthood, so you get some nice post-high school drama (though in some of the cases, they might as well still have been in high school).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

arisu posted:

Want to feel really, really angry at god drat shoujo?

Watch Bokura ga Ita.

I spent the weekend watching that series, then read the manga to finish it off over the last couple of days. It will make you rage over stupid teenage (and later, adults acting like stupid teenager) decisions, and half the time I wanted to throw a stapler across the room. But it's got some good dialog, and a generally likeable cast. Also, its not quite as stupid as Kimi no Iru Machi so I guess there's that, but that's a little bit of a low bar. But while the anime ends halfway through the story, the manga does carry the cast into adulthood, so you get some nice post-high school drama (though in some of the cases, they might as well still have been in high school).

Huh, I guess I should read that then. I suppose I should have realized that the show wasn't the whole story by how pointless and non-climactic the ending was.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Blhue posted:

Huh, I guess I should read that then. I suppose I should have realized that the show wasn't the whole story by how pointless and non-climactic the ending was.

Be ready to rage at the VERY FIRST CHAPTER where the story picks up after the anime ends.

For reference, the anime ends on chapter 31 of the manga (there are a few pages of that chapter that go past where the anime ends though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

arisu posted:

Be ready to rage at the VERY FIRST CHAPTER where the story picks up after the anime ends.

For reference, the anime ends on chapter 31 of the manga (there are a few pages of that chapter that go past where the anime ends though).

Hey I watched the whole show, I'm no stranger to raging at dumb poo poo.