Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There's a fair amount of poo poo you can get used, but it's nowhere near the bargain of Japanese parts. And if you need anything OEM, it's $$. And I agree with n8 that the K bikes are generally kinda meh. Solid and unique looking, but heavy, not high performance, and not a lot of fun to ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3238504555.html

Almost seems TGTBT. I have this feeling in the back of mind this bike was for sale on CL recently and maybe this guy is flipping it (could have issues etc). :tinfoil:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

n8r posted:

Dude you're way overpaying for what amounts to a paint job and a tail piece. If you dig it that's cool but a K100 from that era is not exactly a particularly good bike. For $4500 you can get your hands on nearly anything made from the mid 2000s which will be a far better performing bike.

$5000 is about $4000 too much for a K that's been ruined by having the fairing removed. A K bike makes a fine winter hack if you get it cheap, but like n8r says, that money will get you an actual performance naked.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think I have found my next bike:

Ugh, it just looks so drat good. I couldn't stop staring at it in the dealers. That colour just does it for me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Just be aware Thruxtons look a lot faster than they are (at least stock) and the bar ergos can be pretty uncomfortable on long rides.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It'll be fast enough for me, I currently have a 125.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Just be aware Thruxtons look a lot faster than they are (at least stock) and the bar ergos can be pretty uncomfortable on long rides.

Yeah I went out intending to get one when I eventually got the Shiver - it was uncomfortable just sitting on it in the dealers, far more so than the riding position suggests - more like a full-on race bike in the way it puts your weight on your wrists. It's okay on the road but nothing special at all. Maybe with some decent pipes and some tuning, and some stiffer suspension it would live up to the look. I'll accept that lack of power on the Bonny but this is something that's meant to be a cafe racer and it just feels like a cheap learner bike.

(I'm also fairly certain you can't even join the ton-up club on it as stock, which is just shameful)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I went out intending to get one when I eventually got the Shiver - it was uncomfortable just sitting on it in the dealers, far more so than the riding position suggests - more like a full-on race bike in the way it puts your weight on your wrists. It's okay on the road but nothing special at all. Maybe with some decent pipes and some tuning, and some stiffer suspension it would live up to the look. I'll accept that lack of power on the Bonny but this is something that's meant to be a cafe racer and it just feels like a cheap learner bike.

(I'm also fairly certain you can't even join the ton-up club on it as stock, which is just shameful)

You can absolutely do 100 on it, unless you mean with a 33hp restrict or kit. It has more than enough power to manage that.

Needs a screen however and that seat cover will be scratched to poo poo about 2 minutes after you get on it with a backpack for the first time.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I've been following this ad for a month on craiglist, during which time this guy has dropped his asking price from $3200 to $2000. Does this sound like a decent deal? What maintenance items should I ask him about given the mileage of 22,000?

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 3, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

You can absolutely do 100 on it, unless you mean with a 33hp restrict or kit. It has more than enough power to manage that.

Needs a screen however and that seat cover will be scratched to poo poo about 2 minutes after you get on it with a backpack for the first time.

Well I only had a half-hour ride on it and it really didn't feel like it would make it up to those sort of speeds (and you're right, it really does need a screen - the noise and buffeting at 70 was worse than on my Shiver at 100+ - or so I'm told, not being the sort of irresponsible person to ever do those sort of highly illegal speeds).

It's a pity because it just looks so loving good.

(Believe it or not the actual thing that pushed me to the Shiver, other than my inherent loyalty to the brand, was one tiny detail - those bar-end mirrors would last ten seconds in London traffic, although the 0% finance Aprilia were offering at the time helped)

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
My friend would like an opinion on 2 bikes he's currently looking at. One's an '07, pretty good condition, low mileage. $4500 CAD.

The other's an '09, has been dropped and is still damaged, low mileage. Listed at $4500 as well, but the seller will settle $4000 CAD. Here's the damage:

I suppose the handlebars/foot rests/whatever breaks when you drop a bike have been repaired, since the bike runs just fine. My friend prefers the '09 (has read bad things about '07s - I have no idea what) and wouldn't mind riding with a scoffed fairing for the first year or so.

Both bikes are priced within what is reasonable for 650Rs around here, even a bit on the cheaper side.

In short, are there significant changes from 2007 to 2009 models that would encourage him to go for the bruised 09 over the clean 07?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So I'm trying to get rid of an old computer (PDP-11, collector's stuff). It's not especially valuable, so I was asking $200 for it and mentioned I'd trade for an old bike. I got a response from someone with a 1979 Triumph T140E in his garage. He describes it as "a rolling frame with an engine in it", so god knows what it's missing--I asked for pictures. I've had a little experience working on bikes, because my first bike was an 82 Suzuki GS650 which needed some work to get working properly, but I haven't cracked into an engine or carbs yet.

I already have a bike, a 2010 Bonneville, so this would be a project. He also said some guy left it in his garage 10 years ago, no idea about the title. The title is my main concern. Can any Californians (or others) give me a little insight as to what this process might be like? I'm sure this guy didn't steal the bike or anything, so what's the situation if someone abandons a motorcycle in your garage?

I'll post pictures if/when I get them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If I had the room for a PDP-11, I'd fly out there today, hand you the cash, and drive it back across the country.

I don't know what the laws are like in California, but when a vehicle gets to be a certain age, Georgia stops caring about the title. You might just be able to have the police verify that the VIN doesn't come up as stolen and be good to go with a bill of sale.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

As promised, here are the pictures:

You can see that when he said "rolling frame", he wasn't kidding.

Since I don't have a shop so much as a garage and a basic toolbox, I think this might be a bit out of my league. Anyone to convince me otherwise?

Safety Dance: If for some reason this guy decides he doesn't want the PDP-11, are you interested? It's a microPDP 11/73, rackmount, with an RX-01 and a shitload of expansion cards (including a 512x512 framebuffer). Oh, and tons of floppies (5.25 and 8") and manuals.

Edit: Comedy option, get the bike and put in the absolute minimum to get it running as some sort of Mad Max rat bike.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
What is the vintage computer/space heater worth to you? because i wouldn't take that bike as a project unless it was free.

edit: I think I remember reading that Cali will expect someone (you) to pay all the back registration fees aswell

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

echomadman posted:

What is the vintage computer/space heater worth to you? because i wouldn't take that bike as a project unless it was free.

I got the computer for free. I'm asking $200 for it just because I've spent the last 2 years hauling it around, and because I was actually pretty lucky to get it free--typically these things might go for a few hundred bucks, and I think with all the extras $200 is fair. It's pretty drat cool but I don't feel like sinking $1000 into it to get it working the way I want; these days I'd rather ride motorcycles than dick around with my spaceheaters.

I think I'll turn the guy down. He's also got a 1959 6T that he drove into the side of a house and ruined the forks on, but he thinks it's worth a few thousand even with hosed forks (and having seen a picture, he may be right, it's pretty), so I think that's probably out of the question :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I work for a tech company, and it might be interesting to have something like that in a display case in the lobby with, like, an engraved blurb about the historical significance of the PDP-11. I'll pitch it to the CEO and see if he bites.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hey Pham, you've elected not to receive PMs. Shoot me an email at chris.agocs@gmail.com.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/mcy/3227952087.html

Is 26,000 miles bad on a DRZ?

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
I currently ride an '87 Honda Rebel 250, which I love, for about a month now. I'm looking at getting something with a little more punch to it. Originally I was considering another cruiser-style in something 650 or higher (preferably higher) but, about two weeks ago, I started considering a dual-sport/enduro style bike.

I'm thinking of going dual-sport because I grew up in the forest and still have family I visit out there, so the idea of running trails appeals to me. (I live, literally, like 30 minutes from some of the best trail riding to be had in this state) Also, living in Florida, I ocassionally have to deal with hurricanes and minor flooding which, due to our retarded city engineers and their inability to build proper roads, means I am often riding through puddles that should qualify as small lakes (when this last storm blew through I was riding my bike in water so deep that my boots were almost submerged on the pegs), and some other various reasons.

Today I went to my mechanic's shop to get my dealer registration updated (plate still isn't in) and a guy brought in his '84 Honda XL350r for service. It's got 13,000 miles on it, he's the original owner, and it is in gorgeous/excellent condition. The head guy, Al, told me he brings it in regularly for maintenance and he's looking at getting rid of it cheap because he's got too many bikes and needs to downsize.

I am curious what you guys think of this bike. Is it a good dual-sport option or should I look for something else? I'm going tomorrow to take another look at it, maybe test ride it, and so on. I'll post pictures when I get home.

Thanks in advance guys!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you might be interested in something a little newer, I'm selling my '01 KLR650 hint hint. I totally wouldn't mind trailering it down to north Florida. My girlfriend and I could use that as an excuse to see her mom.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Safety Dance posted:

If you might be interested in something a little newer, I'm selling my '01 KLR650 hint hint. I totally wouldn't mind trailering it down to north Florida. My girlfriend and I could use that as an excuse to see her mom.

What can you tell me about it and how much are you looking to get out of it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

To avoid posting the same thing all over the place, I'll link you to the CA Classifieds post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=34#post407134795

and my Cragislist ad (which has all the same info): http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/3246162257.html

I'm definitely flexible on price, so make me an offer if you want. If you have any questions, chris.agocs@gmail.com is me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm going to look at a couple of bikes tomorrow, try them out for comfort. I've narrowed my A-team choice to a ~2003 Ducati Multistrada 1000 or a Yamaha TDM900. Anything I should look out for? My B-team are either ~y2k VFR800s or Aprilia SL1000 Falcos which I'll start subbing in once I've exhausted my search for the first two.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Found a 1983 Honda Magna 750 on Craigslist today. From the description (it's frustrating when links expire, plus there are no pictures anyway):

quote:

Fun bike, needs work, hasn't been run in a while

In an attempt to get it running again, the fluids have been changed

it got new plugs, and a new battery and a few other things

it kicks over and sounds like it is running really lean, but won't continue to run

I'm no expert, but from reading this thread and others in CA it sounds like it might be dirty carbs? He's asking $500 for it, I'm still in the process of finding a starter bike for my girlfriend so this is a possibility (the Magna 750 looks a lot like the Suzuki GS650GL I started on, so I'm thinking 750 isn't too big in this context)

Edit: guys also has an 85 Honda Interceptor 500cc that he'd go as low as $1000 on. Says it runs great, and I think it looks decent. Opinions?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 8, 2012

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Found a 1983 Honda Magna 750 on Craigslist today. From the description (it's frustrating when links expire, plus there are no pictures anyway):

I'm no expert, but from reading this thread and others in CA it sounds like it might be dirty carbs? He's asking $500 for it, I'm still in the process of finding a starter bike for my girlfriend so this is a possibility (the Magna 750 looks a lot like the Suzuki GS650GL I started on, so I'm thinking 750 isn't too big in this context)

Edit: guys also has an 85 Honda Interceptor 500cc that he'd go as low as $1000 on. Says it runs great, and I think it looks decent. Opinions?

From everything I've heard, the Magna is a little deceiving. It's not like a typical lower powered cruiser. It's got something around 85 hp, and would probably be a bit much for a new rider, I would think. The Interceptor, on the other hand, would be a much more suitable bike, as long as it runs well. The price sounds about right to me.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

From everything I've heard, the Magna is a little deceiving. It's not like a typical lower powered cruiser. It's got something around 85 hp, and would probably be a bit much for a new rider, I would think. The Interceptor, on the other hand, would be a much more suitable bike, as long as it runs well. The price sounds about right to me.

I'm not too thrilled about a liquid-cooled engine, though. Strikes me as yet another 30-year-old system to fail on me...

The tags on the bike were from 2009, and he didn't have a non-op. Can any Californians tell me what kind of fee I could expect to pay to re-register it?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
The 80's era Magna/Sabre were monster bikes. The Shadow's of that era were typical 50hp cruisers. It would be ok to start on but not ideal, it's fall now and for $1000 you should be able to find a bike that at least runs.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Halo_4am posted:

The 80's era Magna/Sabre were monster bikes. The Shadow's of that era were typical 50hp cruisers. It would be ok to start on but not ideal, it's fall now and for $1000 you should be able to find a bike that at least runs.

The Magna was $500. The Interceptor was $1000.

Edit: I'm leaning away from the Magna just because it looks like some sort of H.R. Giger mass of tubes and wires in the engine region. As I said above, I'd much prefer air-cooled for simplicity.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 9, 2012

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Magna was $500. The Interceptor was $1000.

Edit: I'm leaning away from the Magna just because it looks like some sort of H.R. Giger mass of tubes and wires in the engine region. As I said above, I'd much prefer air-cooled for simplicity.

Magna / Saber / Interceptor engines from that era have the carbs burred in the center of the V of the V-4. Never removed them but by all accounts they are a nightmare to work on. Very advanced bike for the time, not simple at all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Back in the early 90s, I had a friend that had an 80s magna. He had to do carb work on it for some reason and absolutely cursed it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 9, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

I'm going to look at a couple of bikes tomorrow, try them out for comfort. I've narrowed my A-team choice to a ~2003 Ducati Multistrada 1000 or a Yamaha TDM900. Anything I should look out for? My B-team are either ~y2k VFR800s or Aprilia SL1000 Falcos which I'll start subbing in once I've exhausted my search for the first two.

The tdm is well named, afaik. The 900 is like a scooter to ride.

I would look at pre-vtec vfrs and defiintely the falco. Aprilia in the ir infinite wisdom gave the falco the cheapest shock in the rotax engined range, so look for one that has an after market shock or at least a recent rebuild with a receipt. Iirc you can't just swap in an rsv/tuono shock because they use a different linkage and even if they fit, spring rates are wrong.

However, if my tuono is a guide, you won't do much better than 30mpg in town. A 2007 hornet would make a great town bike. They're probably within your budget.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

I would look at pre-vtec vfrs and defiintely the falco. Aprilia in the ir infinite wisdom gave the falco the cheapest shock in the rotax engined range, so look for one that has an after market shock or at least a recent rebuild with a receipt. Iirc you can't just swap in an rsv/tuono shock because they use a different linkage and even if they fit, spring rates are wrong.

However, if my tuono is a guide, you won't do much better than 30mpg in town. A 2007 hornet would make a great town bike. They're probably within your budget.

I bought the Ducati

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

The Falco had a loving awful clutch too - why they didn't use the RSV one is just one of the myriad mysteries of 2000-2005 Aprilia that will probably be the subject of PhD theses in how not to run a business in future.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think the early Falcos had some clutch issues - primarily with synthetic oil, but any used Falco that is being ridden at all will probably have that issue resolved. People badmouth the shock, but frankly I thought it was pretty decent - it needed to have a lot of preload cranked into it for it to work well. I think the falco benefits from the ride height of cranking down the preload.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I just today found out that other countries continued making the Ninja 900GPZR for many years after the US market had discontinued it. What are the odds of me ever finding an A16 Ninja 900 (2003 Final Edition) for sale in America? I'm guessing zero percent...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

I bought the Ducati
Good man. Now you can say, "as a Ducati owner," :smuggo:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I remember when I first was getting into bikes a girl I was seeing told me her boyfriend had a Ducati. He was loaded and I had this idea of all Ducatis being these super expensive luxury sportbikes so I was like "Wow!"

Now I know better and the mystique is gone. Still, thinking about it, I should have gotten a Ducati. Would probably impress more girls in bars that way.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Ia girl I was seeing

her boyfriend

I think you did something wrong here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Or something right, as the case may be