Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Crystal Chronicles would be the replacement for the Mana series, and that was a pretty large drop in quality. Maybe if they hadn't made the first game as one of those idiotic "you can play with friends... but only if you're using gameboys as controllers because clearly using the menu rings around that character, while everyone can still fight and move, would just be crazy" games.

Except for the fact that it could cost a lot of money to get a full party in Crystal Chronicles, it worked very well and was just so much fun. Really, I even enjoyed playing the game alone. I'm a bit undecided on the DS games though (Never played the Wii one). They're fun enough I suppose, but the have a different feel. The original besides being a tiny bit more open, presents the world in a more mysterious way. The voice-overs at the beginning of each level were always pretty cool. The two DS games feel more like an action/ puzzle Final Fantasy game, and that really takes away so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We're still talking about VI, right? Can I mention how goddamn intolerable Terra is in Duodecim? Almost all of her lines are like getting stabbed in the ears.

vvv The Japanese version doesn't seem to be much better, either.

Dr Snofeld posted:

And Laguna, naturally, who manages to outshine everyone even in a game with all the heroes.

Leg cramp!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 9, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dissidia is full of terrible dialogue, it's like they got the current script writers from KH and told them "Do what you do, but make it 20 times worse." and you have Dissidia's script. I have to say that I feel the person with the worst dialogue is probably The Emperor, because literally everything that comes out of his mouth is awful. Funny enough though there are some actual good lines in Dissidia and practically everything Jecht says is amazing.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Dissidia is full of terrible dialogue, it's like they got the current script writers from KH and told them "Do what you do, but make it 20 times worse." and you have Dissidia's script. I have to say that I feel the person with the worst dialogue is probably The Emperor, because literally everything that comes out of his mouth is awful. Funny enough though there are some actual good lines in Dissidia and practically everything Jecht says is amazing.

And Laguna, naturally, who manages to outshine everyone even in a game with all the heroes.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Dissidia is full of terrible dialogue, it's like they got the current script writers from KH and told them "Do what you do, but make it 20 times worse." and you have Dissidia's script.

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the darkness.

Darkness.

Darkness.

Crystals.

Darkness.

Kupo?

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Mister Roboto posted:

I personally think FF7 has better music. FF9's is good...just unmemorable.=

There aren't enough psyducks in the world for this. What? Unmemorable? FF9 has the best soundtrack in the series, one of the best in gaming. It's even Uematsu's favorite score! It has countless amazing tracks and there are some that are fantastic homages to past games as well.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Dissidia is full of terrible dialogue, it's like they got the current script writers from KH and told them "Do what you do, but make it 20 times worse." and you have Dissidia's script.

Funny you should say that:

Wikipedia posted:

Writer(s)
Harunori Sakemi
Daisuke Watanabe
Motomu Toriyama

Watanabe has worked on the all the KH games, and is largely to blame for how messed up the plots have become, and Toriyama needs no introduction.

To sum up Watanabe:

quote:

Tetsuya Nomura, the creator of the series, personally finds Watanabe creating the scenario for the games very natural. Nomura believes that Watanabe's outlook on the overall story of the Kingdom Hearts series is in line with his own.
Nomura recalls that when he first showed Watanabe an image of Ventus from Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Watanabe instantly knew that the story would involve the heart of Ventus going into Sora and lead to the physical image of Ventus becoming Roxas. When Nomura realized that Watanabe already knew how it would all work out without him needing to explain it, he felt that there was another staff member that completely understood his logic behind the Kingdom Hearts mythology.

Cuckoo! cuckoo! cuckoo! :supaburn:

I can't forgive the localisers for Dissidia, not putting "I, Garland, will knock you all down" in. <:mad:>

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

Cuckoo! cuckoo! cuckoo! :supaburn:

I'm starting to suspect that Nomura completely forgot he had to design Ventus, and right before the meeting, he just grabbed the first promo art from KH2 that he had lying around.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Rueish posted:

There aren't enough psyducks in the world for this. What? Unmemorable? FF9 has the best soundtrack in the series, one of the best in gaming. It's even Uematsu's favorite score! It has countless amazing tracks and there are some that are fantastic homages to past games as well.

I agree with Mister Roberto. It was the only musically disappointing game in the series to me. Most of the songs were very bland. (Much like the characters, story, and gameplay)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Is there a reason the dialogue in that (and KH actually) is so ridiculously stilted? People talk like this in

drat near any sentence.

It gets really

tedious to listen to.

The other Final Fantasies don't seem to have this problem.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
At a guess, it's probably them trying to match the timing of the Japanese VA that makes it Shatner-esque.

XIII actually had it so that it matched the lipflaps for the English I believe (while the Japanese and other Asian countries got the Japanese lipflap ones). The excuse for that is that the writing was just really lovely.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I agree with Mister Roberto. It was the only musically disappointing game in the series to me. Most of the songs were very bland. (Much like the characters, story, and gameplay)

Uh, his handle is Mister Roboto.

Also FFIX's music rocks.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm just wrapping up Cleyra. So far this tune is the best track in the game imho, in fact, that whole portion of the game, aesthetic wise, music, content, is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ6yqiVOHT0

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
FFIX seriously has one of the best soundtracks in the series, bar none. There's so many great songs in it and Kuja's got one of the best bad guy battle themes in the series.

Just listen to how amazing it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFZVodkj9AE

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
9 could be the overall best and most polished in the series if only it had a better battle system. Or maybe even just a faster one. Even at max ATB speed, plus haste, plus max stats, it still takes multiple seconds for the bar to fill. Plus, the introductory camera pans are interminable. It feels like a bucket of nyquil after 8's speed. Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned a hundred times, but trance is just a frustrating mechanism. Half the time the drat thing activates right before somebody else kills the last enemy and the trance is wasted.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

FFIX seriously has one of the best soundtracks in the series, bar none. There's so many great songs in it and Kuja's got one of the best bad guy battle themes in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFZVodkj9AE

Hey, anything ripped off Queen is amazing.

...okay, the parts that are completely original are just as awesome, but still.

The biggest problem with Dissidia, as well as a lot of other games, is that they have horrible voice direction. You get used to how unnatural the voices sound in a lot of games, and then you go and play a game with legitimately good acting and direction and you wonder "why the hell can't everything else be like this?"
It's not even a question of localized versus native English speaking games, as there are lots of games translated from Japanese that have natural sounding direction, characters that sound as though they're interacting and not reading off a script. Hell, you don't even need to tone down the script! Final Fantasy IV DS has a ridiculously hammy set of actors, and the writing is even more over the top than an average Final Fantasy game. Despite this, even the worst voiced scene in it sounds more natural and believable than the best in Dissidia.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the ADR Directors for Dissidia weren't even really trying. According to Kuja's voice actor, JD Cullum, when he was called into the studio, the director basically told him to just imitate Akira Ishida. There's a lot of legitimately great voice actors in Dissidia like Grant George, George Newborn, Laura Bailey and so on, but for some reason the voice still feels a little stilted. It gets a lot better in Duodecim but there's still obviously something up with the voice actors' direction. ...Also, not being able to get John DiMaggio back as Gilgamesh for Duodecim is just a travesty, he's the perfect voice for him.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I prefer the one that plays at the Desert Palace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCGmQ_adlvA

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
While better voice direction could have helped Dissidia, I think the game's plot is beyond saving.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The best theme in FFIX is any of the hundred billion variations on the opening title theme.

I hate Ipsen's Castle as a dungeon, but its theme is fantastic. I'm a sucker for anything that references the Dies Irae, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXGSH2AO4JE

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

YggiDee posted:

While better voice direction could have helped Dissidia, I think the game's plot is beyond saving.

And what's infuriating about that, is that the basic premise - the gods of Order and Chaos have summoned warriors to battle on their behalf - is simple, but solid. The actual plot...Jesus Christ, why do they want to make everything as complicated as possible? Being convoluted doesn't make it complex. I wish they'd learn that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the other hand, Kefka's English VA in Dissidia is basically the best thing ever.

EDIT: But yeah, the plot is singularly awful. All people wanted was a goofy little crossover thing, not some ridiculously convoluted thing about 13 BATTLES IN SPACE AND TIME AND AMNESIA. I've loving beaten both those games and I still don't have the slightest idea what actually happened. There wasn't even much good interaction between characters (beyond anything involving Kefka or Jecht) because A) half the characters don't even act like they do in the actual games, and B) when they do act like they do in their actual games, they're too busy talking about whatever bullshit is going on in the nonsense plot to actually just bounce off each other as characters.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 10, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's funny how Theatrhythm is just basically meant to be a silly crossover story and that did a better job of doing that then Square's hyped up cross over fighting game. I mean seriously Square, not everything needs a ridiculous mythology behind it. You could've just had Garland pushing the Warrior of Light on his butt and that would've been fine, but no you wanted to go over the edge with it.

Anyways, yeah Dave Wittenburg is amazing as Kefka in Dissidia, he's got perfect comedic timing and he gets Kefka's insanity down perfectly.

EDIT:

Endorph posted:

A) half the characters don't even act like they do in the actual games, and B) when they do act like they do in their actual games, they're too busy talking about whatever bullshit is going on in the nonsense plot to actually just bounce off each other as characters.

This pissed me off to no end. Every character is basically a pastiche of how they were in their games. The only ones who have any real sort of personality in the actual story and act like they does in their games are Jecht, Kefka, a bit of Golbez, Laguna and maybe Lightning. 5 characters out of the 25+ so characters in the game is not a good ratio.

And once again, Cloud is relegated to the same dull stoic he's been portrayed as since the first KH game that everyone associates him with now. It's getting to the point where I do not want to see an FF7 remake, because Cloud is going to be changed into the current image of him rather than the guy who was actually kind of fun to follow around in 7.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 10, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trasson posted:

Hey, anything ripped off Queen is amazing.

Yeah I mean there's a simple beat that kind of sort of sounds like the beat in one single particular Queen song - total rip off.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm just wrapping up Cleyra. So far this tune is the best track in the game imho, in fact, that whole portion of the game, aesthetic wise, music, content, is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ6yqiVOHT0

I love the music in Gizamaluke's Grotto, but gently caress Gizamaluke. He's way too hard for such an early boss.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah I mean there's a simple beat that kind of sort of sounds like the beat in one single particular Queen song - total rip off.

Honestly, it really is just a small "yeah, maybe, I can hear it" thing as opposed to anything approaching full ripoff. It's just far more humorous to call Kuja's battle theme a Queen ripoff.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I liked it when Prishe showed up in Duodecim even though I've never played her game and her personality is annoying as poo poo. And you know why? Because she actually had a personality (even if it was annoying) and showed like the vaguest glimmer of interest in the world around her.

Endorph posted:

On the other hand, Kefka's English VA in Dissidia is basically the best thing ever.

EDIT: But yeah, the plot is singularly awful. All people wanted was a goofy little crossover thing, not some ridiculously convoluted thing about 13 BATTLES IN SPACE AND TIME AND AMNESIA. I've loving beaten both those games and I still don't have the slightest idea what actually happened. There wasn't even much good interaction between characters (beyond anything involving Kefka or Jecht) because A) half the characters don't even act like they do in the actual games, and B) when they do act like they do in their actual games, they're too busy talking about whatever bullshit is going on in the nonsense plot to actually just bounce off each other as characters.

Also C) in Terra's case, they just rehash her entire character arc from FF6.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
The world needs more new tactics games.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tourettes Echinda posted:

The world needs more new tactics games.

And a real sequel to the first FFT. I liked Advance 2, but it just wasn't the same.

Chalk me up as another who strongly prefers 7's soundtrack to 9's. 9 had some great music, but as a whole, 7 was way more memorable.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Chalk me up as another who strongly prefers 7's soundtrack to 9's. 9 had some great music, but as a whole, 7 was way more memorable.
+1 from me, 7's soundtrack sticks in your head like crazy.

I find that as the series goes on, the music gets less and less memorable. I don't think that's because it's any worse, I just think that it's getting more complex and that doesn't stick in my head as well as the simple melodies of old.

... though the best song in the entire series is in 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfu0XBf8kmk

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's getting to the point where I do not want to see an FF7 remake, because Cloud is going to be changed into the current image of him rather than the guy who was actually kind of fun to follow around in 7.

It'd be kind of funny if they did remake it and leave Cloud's personality unchanged... and watch people complain that the remake made him into a dork.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

+1 from me, 7's soundtrack sticks in your head like crazy.

I find that as the series goes on, the music gets less and less memorable. I don't think that's because it's any worse, I just think that it's getting more complex and that doesn't stick in my head as well as the simple melodies of old.

... though the best song in the entire series is in 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfu0XBf8kmk

That song got me interested me in the game. Ten hours later... not so much.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Everything always comes back to FF music.

The soundtrack to XIII works in its in-game context, but doesn't have quite the charisma of Uematsu's stuff in earlier titles. But, the score itself is actually pretty nice to just put on play and chill out listening to while you do other stuff.

Dr Pepper posted:

It'd be kind of funny if they did remake it and leave Cloud's personality unchanged... and watch people complain that the remake made him into a dork.

And pure, sweet Aeris into a tramp.

Seriously, she was one of the best heroines in the series. They do a remake, they oughtta drop whoever does her voice in spinoffs and get Olivia Olson, who does the vampire chick in Adventure Time.

And DiMaggio as Cait Sith.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 10, 2012

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mazed posted:

And DiMaggio as Cait Sith.

'Laddie needs Cait Sith. Cait Sith protect laddie, ya? Sand-blasted AVALANCHE grease-monkeys!'

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What happened, Squaresoft :(

All the people who made good games were run off in favor of dudes like Toriyama and Nomura?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Schwartzcough posted:

Besides "in your face" or "backed off," the characters in XIII really don't give that feeling of uniqueness.

I think you may be projecting a little bit, since literally the ONLY trait you're arguing that matches the FF6 characters is their battle attack. Like, that's one move, and in the end it's just another way to do damage.

This isn't WRONG, but you're dismissing the FF13 designs too easily. Again, with Snow, his main role is the guy who wants to protect others, so he gets the Defender abilities first and plays them up. Lightning is violent and standoffish, so her attacks are mainly strike-and-run.

Then there's their superattacks, which, just like in FF6, they have a unique ability that reflects their character.

Mazed posted:

And pure, sweet Aeris into a tramp.

She was never that pure, she was totally a clever, manipulative girl. First thing she does is flirt a guy into protecting her and coming home with her.

And this is not an insult, I think it makes her character more interesting that she has the image of this pure flower girl but she also isn't naive: i.e. she already knows Cloud is gonna sneak off without her so she's all "Yeah, I'm coming, no argument."

Rueish posted:

I didn't say the FF9 music was of poor quality, just that it wasn't that memorable.

Example: I bet anyone here can hum the FF7 battle theme. Or One Winged Angel (yes, I know). Or Eyes On Me. Or Man with the Machine Gun. Or FF6's Boss Battle. Or Kefka's theme. Or Aerith's theme. Or To Zanarkand. Or the overworlds of FF7, 8, or Terra's theme/World of Balance (which are very similar).

Anyone NOT able to recall any of those?

Now, FF9's music is alright. It has quality. But it simply wasn't quite the same level of Uematsu's instantly-hooked tunes. Can anyone recall FF9's boss theme off the bat? FF9's overworld? Zidane's theme? Or ANY FF9 character's theme?

Look at youtube covers. There's 100000 covers of FF6, 7, 8, and X's music. FF9 is very, very neglected. Something about FF9's music just didn't click as well.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Thanks!

Pureauthor posted:

Uh, his handle is Mister Roboto.

Thanks as well! My real name's Dave, too, so it's not a pun, either.

As a way of thanks, here's a pic of what Batman would look like in the Final Fantasy world:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mister Roboto posted:

Example: I bet anyone here can hum the FF7 battle theme. Or One Winged Angel (yes, I know). Or Eyes On Me. Or Man with the Machine Gun. Or FF6's Boss Battle. Or Kefka's theme. Or Aerith's theme. Or To Zanarkand. Or the overworlds of FF7, 8, or Terra's theme/World of Balance (which are very similar).

Anyone NOT able to recall any of those?

Now, FF9's music is alright. It has quality. But it simply wasn't quite the same level of Uematsu's instantly-hooked tunes. Can anyone recall FF9's boss theme off the bat? FF9's overworld? Zidane's theme? Or ANY FF9 character's theme?

Now, I couldn't remember most of FF7's music, does that make me not a FF fan? And I could hum FF9's battle theme and overworld theme (the latter's just Melodies of Life). And FF9 had some great music. Rose of May, Dark Messenger, Not Alone, Ukelele de Chocobo... and of all the voiced pieces, Melodies of Life was by far the best.

But I think it's purely subjective - some people just gravitate to some games' soundtrack more than others, especially if they prefer a game more. And Nomura did more pieces for FF9 than any other game, which must say something.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You're seriously using Zidane's Theme as an argument? That is the catchiest poo poo ever.

Also how could anyone not remember Freya's Theme.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

She was never that pure, she was totally a clever, manipulative girl. First thing she does is flirt a guy into protecting her and coming home with her.

And this is not an insult, I think it makes her character more interesting that she has the image of this pure flower girl but she also isn't naive: i.e. she already knows Cloud is gonna sneak off without her so she's all "Yeah, I'm coming, no argument."
Aeris is a great character for that. Everything about her design says meek damsel in distress, pure flower girl and whatnot, but she's actually a tomboy, completely into the idea of going on an adventure, and figures out the plot way in advance of everybody else. In one scene she herself has to remind Cloud that she grew up in the slums when he gets overly protective, and I can't help but see that as commentary on perceived roles in the genre.

Join me next time when we talk about the depiction of black identity in FFVII with a special focus on the association with firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

The best theme in FFIX is any of the hundred billion variations on the opening title theme.

I hate Ipsen's Castle as a dungeon, but its theme is fantastic. I'm a sucker for anything that references the Dies Irae, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXGSH2AO4JE

"The Place I'll Return to Someday" motif is great and it's nice to see someone remembers the Ipsen Castle version. I love "Terra" just as much as everyone else but I've always had a special fondness for Ipsen's Castle.

I love the FFIX soundtrack to death. I don't see how anyone can say this isn't memorable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnQLHIZ6ZGU

Endorph posted:

Mazed at the very least will know what I'm talking about but who would have ever thought Allen would be the perfect voice for Kefka.