Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

CzarChasm posted:

Grilled fruits served with sweetened yogurt?

Perfect! We got a locally made eggless ice cream instead of yogurt, but stonefruit on the grill was amazing. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I recently found out about smoked garlic bulbs at a farmer's market. They are made of amazing!
I'm wondering if anybody here has made their own. If so, any recommendations/advice? I have access to a small smoker and would like to give it a go.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My supermarket sells smoked garlic and honestly I couldn't taste any difference when I used them. They smell incredible though.

I asked for a gumbo recipe earlier but got no response. Everything I find online has Creole/Cajun seasoning as opposed to an actual spice mix. Does anyone have a real recipe?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Humboldt squid posted:

I've had good results with light (I'm sorry "Lite") sour cream.

A while ago, I bought two hams on sale. One I froze, and one I cooked. The one I cooked, I washed twice, but in the end was still inedibly salty. Now it's time to cook ham #2 - so how can I get rid of all that salt? I thought about soaking the ham in a tub of water, but I don't want it to be waterlogged.

I ended up just boiling the ham for 15 minutes, got the salt out pretty well.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Scott Bakula posted:

My supermarket sells smoked garlic and honestly I couldn't taste any difference when I used them. They smell incredible though.

I asked for a gumbo recipe earlier but got no response. Everything I find online has Creole/Cajun seasoning as opposed to an actual spice mix. Does anyone have a real recipe?

I can't vouch for these personally, but if all you need to know is how to make those kinds of mixes...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cajun-spice-mix-2/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-cajun-seasoning/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Scott Bakula posted:

This is the basic recipe I use. http://www.gumbocooking.com/shrimp-gumbo.html It's good and amenable to adjustment. It does call for a special seasoning but you can mix up some of Emeril's instead. And yes Emeril is fun to make fun of but all of his recipes I've tried have been great, the man knows what he's doing. Anyway:

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

That's what I use.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Today I tried making my own paneer after realizing how incredibly easy it is in theory. However, it didn't firm up very well and remained very soft throughout, and when I used it in some palak paneer later, it melted as soon as I put it in. It was still very good but I can do better than that :colbert:

What I did step by step was:
- heat up 1.5 liters of milk
- add lemon juice - I used around four lemons
- watch stuff curdle
- drain through a cloth and press - I only had a dishcloth, so I used that, and I suspect here's where things might have gone off because it drained very slowly, and I had the impression it was woven too tightly, so the cheese retained more liquid than it should have
- the recipe I had said to immerse it in salt water and keep in the fridge, so I did that, but I checked a few minutes later and noticed it was going soft, so I took it out again and kept it wrapped in the damp cloth until I used it - maybe it took in some more liquid?

My plan for next time is to get a proper drat cheesecloth and skip the salt water - ideally I'd use it immediately - but does anyone have any more suggestions?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So I'm not a complete stranger to making cookies, but I've always wanted to try and make gel-filled cookies. I can't seem to :google: myself a really useful guide on how to make those neat gel-filled cookies you can buy at pastry shops and the like (probably because i'm retarded). Anyone have a neat how-to handy for this?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gel filled?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Casu Marzu posted:

gel filled?

Yeah! Like flavored gel. Cherry, or Lemon, etc. This sort of deal (That's jam but the same principle applies I imagine).

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Maybe try searching for Lemon/Lime Curd filled cookies? They look like 'gel'.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Emalde posted:

So I'm not a complete stranger to making cookies, but I've always wanted to try and make gel-filled cookies. I can't seem to :google: myself a really useful guide on how to make those neat gel-filled cookies you can buy at pastry shops and the like (probably because i'm retarded). Anyone have a neat how-to handy for this?

My mother used to make "gel-filled" cookies with jam/jelly. When it's cooked, it loses some moisture and firms up a bit, so that may be the gel you're thinking of.

dream owl
Jul 19, 2010
Boiling some chickpeas (soaked em overnight) and as soon as I put them on the stove they're cracking. Sounds like popping popcorn. There's plenty of water in the pot.

Can anyone explain this?

dream owl fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 27, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Today I tried making my own paneer after realizing how incredibly easy it is in theory. However, it didn't firm up very well and remained very soft throughout, and when I used it in some palak paneer later, it melted as soon as I put it in. It was still very good but I can do better than that :colbert:

- watch stuff curdle
- drain through a cloth and press - I only had a dishcloth, so I used that, and I suspect here's where things might have gone off because it drained very slowly, and I had the impression it was woven too tightly, so the cheese retained more liquid than it should have
- the recipe I had said to immerse it in salt water and keep in the fridge, so I did that, but I checked a few minutes later and noticed it was going soft, so I took it out again and kept it wrapped in the damp cloth until I used it - maybe it took in some more liquid?

My plan for next time is to get a proper drat cheesecloth and skip the salt water - ideally I'd use it immediately - but does anyone have any more suggestions?

Welcome to cheesemaking! Homogenized milk does weird things to your proteins and makes it really hard to curdle strongly. I'm willing to bet you had homogenized milk. That is one possibility. another is yes too fine a weave on the cloth, but a long enough hang can make up for that. Don't rush it, if it's not the texture you're after let it hang for longer. Even overnight it in the fridge suspended over a bowl and hanging by using a binder clip on your rails or whatever.

Edit: Oh yeah, Calcium Chloride added to homogenized milk can help aid coagulation.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 9, 2012

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
When you go to the donut shop and they have "Angel Cream" filled donuts, how is the angel cream made? Its not a pastry cream, its a pure white aerated cream.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've made seafood stock a few times now and it always comes out a really dark brown. It tastes great, there's nothing wrong with it, but I'm curious what's up with the color--I wouldn't expect it to look like that. It's like beef stock brown. Usually I'm using mostly shrimp shells, this last batch also had a couple fish heads and some bones. Sometimes I have some crab shells too but it's always mostly shrimp. I keep the stuff in a bag in the freezer until I've collected enough to make stock with. I also use celery, carrot, and onion. And I try to keep it just barely bubbling and skim off that pile of scummy foam you get right at the beginning. What gives? Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If it's mostly the shells, that's likely where that darker colour is coming from. When Julia made her fumet de poisson for the bouillabase, it was on the lighter side, even though she added tomato to it, because she mainly used an enormous hake frame that she got, along with more bones than shells, really. And she barely cooked the onion through, until it was tender, and not browned.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Okay, I thought maybe shrimp shells had a dark pigment that was coming out of them. They're what I usually have available. I can easily go out and buy fish heads since I'm in Asia, but unfortunately people here actually use them instead of tossing them out like back home so they aren't super cheap. :argh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Welcome to cheesemaking! Homogenized milk does weird things to your proteins and makes it really hard to curdle strongly. I'm willing to bet you had homogenized milk. That is one possibility. another is yes too fine a weave on the cloth, but a long enough hang can make up for that. Don't rush it, if it's not the texture you're after let it hang for longer. Even overnight it in the fridge suspended over a bowl and hanging by using a binder clip on your rails or whatever.

Edit: Oh yeah, Calcium Chloride added to homogenized milk can help aid coagulation.
Thanks - I did use homogenized and I did think the curdling step was taking a rather long time compared to what I had expected, and took a bit more lemon juice than the recipe said. Will try to source a proper cloth and/or unhomogenized milk and see how that goes.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

My Lovely Horse posted:

- watch stuff curdle

After draining, did you press it? I think the recipe I used had be put a plate on top and put heavy cans on the plate. It's the pressing that turns it into a solid block you can cut into cubes to fry/cook with. Don't know what the salt water thing is all abvout. I made it with regular grocery store milk and other than some timing issues (ending up having to wait to the next day to cook with it because of the time involved making/pressing it) it worked out great.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
I got pre fried tofu cut into thick rectangles at the Asian mart yesterday. Googling only brings up how to fry tofu, not what to do with the pre fried stuff. Any recipe recommendations for it, or how to heat it up and use it?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Terrormisu posted:

I got pre fried tofu cut into thick rectangles at the Asian mart yesterday. Googling only brings up how to fry tofu, not what to do with the pre fried stuff. Any recipe recommendations for it, or how to heat it up and use it?

Look for recipes involving aburaage tofu.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
So I threw too much chile de arbol in my chili and it's too hot. What's the best way to cut the heat - sour cream comes to mind but will get too rich quickly.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Terrormisu posted:

I like it in a basic Chinese claypot. Some ginger and onion chicken broth with oyster sauce, soy, and white pepper, thickened with cornstarch slurry. You can throw in some fish or braise some oxtail, maybe some shiitakes and nappa.

Woodchip posted:

So I threw too much chile de arbol in my chili and it's too hot. What's the best way to cut the heat - sour cream comes to mind but will get too rich quickly.

Brown more meat and make more chili with your current chili as a starter.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 10, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Terrormisu posted:

Slice it into thin strips and use it in stir fry, or put it on udon. The simplest way to use it is to just cut it into small strips and put it in miso soup.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I bought about 10 fresh serrano chiles at the farmers market on Saturday. What, either than chili, can I make with them?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Serranos go everywhere jalapenos go. But one of my favourites is to use them, raw and sliced, as a pizza topping. I would normally use about 20 on my pizza a'la atomica.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I bought about 10 fresh serrano chiles at the farmers market on Saturday. What, either than chili, can I make with them?

I like em julienned lengthwise and in salads, on sausages, stir fried with veg and meat, in stews, pureed in sauces. Serranos are my workhorse/everyday chile of choice. Like wiggles said, they're basically a hotter jalapeno

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Decided to wing pickled pork.

1c apple cider vinegar
3 cloves crushed garlic
1T caraway seeds
2t dried thyme
1T sriracha
~3 anchovy fillets
2t chiPOWder (chipotle peppers, toasted and ground fine)
1/4c salt
3 bay leaves
~3c water

Is this gonna be okay? It smelled loving amazing before I poured it on my pork shoulder and stuck it in the freezer, but ya never know...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Serranos go everywhere jalapenos go. But one of my favourites is to use them, raw and sliced, as a pizza topping. I would normally use about 20 on my pizza a'la atomica.
Quoted because I like serranos more than jalapenos and substitute whenever possible. They have a "darker" heat than jalapenos have and I love them very much. For tailgating/football purposes I do serrano poppers which are about what you'd think but a little slimmer (easier to munch) and use a chicken/cheddar sauce instead of cream cheese, which I think is cheating :colbert:

scuz fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 10, 2012

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
My local grocery store sells quarter chicken legs for really cheap. The couple of times I've bought them they've been really fatty and oily. Is this normal for this cut of meat, or does my store just have crappy product? If its the former, what (if any) is a good way to prepare/cook this meat to reduce this?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

My local grocery store sells quarter chicken legs for really cheap. The couple of times I've bought them they've been really fatty and oily. Is this normal for this cut of meat, or does my store just have crappy product? If its the former, what (if any) is a good way to prepare/cook this meat to reduce this?

Take the skins off, that's where most of the fat is coming from. I like to render them down and use the chicken fat for other things or as a base fat for curries and stews. Great for roasting root vegetables, too. You get a nice tasty snack of chicken cracklings as an added bonus.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Cyril Sneer posted:

Like grav said, you're just not rendering the skin out. Sear the chicken skin-side down in a dry pan on medium heat until it gets crispy, remove the chicken, cook your onions/garlic/etc in the rendered chicken fat, and either pull off the skin and eat it or throw it back in after you've used the fat to cook all your aromatics or drain the pan. There's almost no fat in chicken leg quarters other than outside the flesh.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Cyril Sneer posted:

It's normal. The oiliness compared with white meat is the primary reason a lot of people love dark meat. It makes the meat tender and full of yummy chickeny flavor, something that can't be achieved with breast meat using spices, salt, nor sugar.

If you want to tone it down a bit, do the suggestions with the skin. You can also trim away any large yellow fat deposits, which typically tend to appear on the thighs. Deboning the thighs may help with this.

The longer cooking time of roasting in an oven may also help more fat render out.

From an Asian perspective, this is especially true. We tend to love dark meat while white meat is the trash part of the bird. That's why you can get Chinese made chicken breast jerky strips for your dog for a few bucks a pound. That's how little those across the other pond think of breast meat. They turn it into dog food.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Quick one:

I made a balsamic reduction last week with balsamic vinegar, honey, and a few spices. How long will it last in the fridge?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I have been soaking dry Great Northern beans in a pot of water since either Saturday or possibly Friday night (didn't have time to make the intended soup this weekend). Are they still good to use if I cook them tonight, or have they become a bacteria-infested nightmare?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I have 1 pound of pork butt and a lot of pork fat. If I had more than 1 pound I'd have more of a clue what to do with it, but I'm looking for other things to do than 225f for 12 hours.

angor posted:

Quick one:

I made a balsamic reduction last week with balsamic vinegar, honey, and a few spices. How long will it last in the fridge?
Until the moon crashes into the Earth (plus a few days).

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

I have been soaking dry Great Northern beans in a pot of water since either Saturday or possibly Friday night (didn't have time to make the intended soup this weekend). Are they still good to use if I cook them tonight, or have they become a bacteria-infested nightmare?

They'll be fine.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
Made some carrot soup with curry powder, forgot to put the onions in. It tastes ok, would it still taste ok to cook the onions separately and add them in now? I made a fuckload on accident, gonna be eating it for a few days at least.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just made this recipe myself for Peanut Satay Curry Ramen. I figured you guys may know enough about proportions to help me with it.

quote:

Peanut Satay Curry Ramen

Sauce:
1 jar (8 oz) Thai Kitchen Peanut Satay Sauce
1 tsp lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp curry seasoning (salt-free)
1 tsp cayenne
salt & pepper to taste

Main Ingredients:
2 bags Top Ramen (throw out flavor packets)
5 oz. diced chicken (I used pre-cooked chicken for expediency)
½ bunch green onions, chopped

Garnish:
1 handful peanuts
1 handful chopped cilantro

Cook the ramen normally. Drain it, leaving a little water. Add chicken, then green onions, then the sauce. Saute on medium heat until the rest of the water has evaporated. Serve with garnishes.

The pre-bottled sauce contains coconut milk, peanuts, galangal, and tamarind juice, among other things. (I stupidly threw away the bottle and I can't seem to Google up the ingredients.)

Anyway, I want the dish to have two dominant flavors: peanuts, then curry. In the draft above, the curry and cayenne overpowered the dish like crazy, so I'll cut both in half for my next try. Maybe I'll take out the turmeric too and rely on the turmeric in the curry. I don't think I need to use all of the sauce either.

What I'm asking is… Looking at the recipe, can you guys in your intuitive experience see any other places I can tweak? Any ingredients I can add or anything in the dish already strike you as unnecessary? Thanks!

EDIT: In fact, if you guys have any general advice on revising recipes, I'm all ears!

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

scuz posted:

I have 1 pound of pork butt and a lot of pork fat. If I had more than 1 pound I'd have more of a clue what to do with it, but I'm looking for other things to do than 225f for 12 hours.

Admittedly I haven't actually tried it, but I'm always on the lookout for pork shoulder recipes, and I grabbed this one off of CHOW that looks pretty drat good.

CHOW.COM posted:

Pork Indad

Ingredients

1 pound boneless pork shoulder or belly, cut into 1-inch cubes
6 medium cloves garlic, minced, plus 2 whole
1 tablespoon mined ginger
Kosher salt
10 black peppercorns
2 cloves
1-inch piece cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
5 dried small red chilies
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium onion, grated on the medium holes of a box grater
1/2 tablespoon raisins
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves.

Directions
-Toss pork, minced garlic, cinger, and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until pork is thoroughly coated. Set aside.

-Toast peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, poppy seed, turmeric, chili, and cumin seeds in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.

-Tansfer to a food processor or blender. Add onion, raisins, tamarind, remaining 2 cloves garlic, and vinegar. Blend until smooth.

-Heat oil over high heat in a large heavy-bottomed lidded saucepan until shimmering. Add pork and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides, about 2 minutes, taking care not to burn garlic and ginger (reduce heat as necessary.

-Reduce heat to low. Add spice past and stir vigorously until fragrant and oil is infused with red color of paste, about 10 minutes total. Add water and sugar. Cover and cook on medium heat until pork is tender, about 1 hour. Stir in mint leaves. Serve with bread or rice.