Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Ok you should know better, where is this?

I'm guessing Dubai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

It has to be Dubai. You can keep an eye on your yacht from your condo and your office.

Pics for the pic god: Crosspost from the Cold War thread. That little thing they are looking at is... a nuke. The Davy Crockett tactical nuclear weapon. It's so cute.

"You! Take this over to the Russians and tell them it's a present."

Schindler's Fist has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Sep 9, 2012

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The Davy Crockett was the launcher itself, a recoilless rifle.

The W54 nuke had a few variants for different applications.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yep. Dubai.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts

Bored As gently caress posted:

He's pretty bad rear end, IMO. He personally knows Mr. Top'em Hat, he's proved himself to be a really useful engine, and he's got tons of friends. That's pretty bad rear end.

He's called The Fat Controller over here in Ireland and if my niece has anything to say about it, they're all pretty badass :)

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

cofaigh posted:

He's called The Fat Controller over here in Ireland and if my niece has anything to say about it, they're all pretty badass :)

It's The Fat Controller in the UK also.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hazza posted:

It's The Fat Controller in the UK also.

If i recall correctly, his name has been changed in the newer series to be less insulting to fat people or something. Daft.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He was always Sir Top'Em Hat in the US.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
To be fair he's never been very good at controlling fat.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

mind the walrus posted:

He was always Sir Top'Em Hat in the US.

It's Sir Topham Hatt.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's Sir Topham Hatt.

That makes a lot more sense.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Detective Thompson posted:

The W54 nuke had a few variants for different applications.

This included so called "backpack" nukes designed to supposedly be inserted by a two man team in a SADM (Strategic Atomic Demolition) mission into places like harbors then detonated after the men were extracted via submarine.

Some dude's replica:

Mk-54 in casing:

note the size of the latches.

Imagine the big brass balls it would take to strap even a small nuclear weapon to your back.

If I remember correctly the Davy Crockett launcher was problematic because the range of the launcher and the effective radius of the Mk-54 device put the actual users inside fallout hazard range.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

beato posted:

To be fair he's never been very good at controlling fat.

Nor has he ever been very good at controlling his engines. Those dipshits make a mistake, and continue to make the mistake two or three more times before they gently caress up Mr. Topham Hat's orders completely - then they finally realize they hosed up, and apologize to him for not being a really useful engine.

Why does he even tolerate those fuckups? My theory is that they're his slaves. All of these sentient engines, however retarded they may be, are tolerated for being fuckups because Mr. Topham Hat would otherwise have to buy other engines, ones that might not be so easily controlled as these idiots that currently reside in Titmus Sheds.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

mad.radhu posted:

If I remember correctly the Davy Crockett launcher was problematic because the range of the launcher and the effective radius of the Mk-54 device put the actual users inside fallout hazard range.

"Hmm, fallout, or the First Guards Tank Army?"

Anyone got a truck I can borrow? I mean, a *big* truck?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

mad.radhu posted:

In the test footage I've seen of the weapon (yes, they test fired it, with an actual nuke) the procedure was to dig a trench right behind the weapon, then everybody immediately jump into said trench after launching it, because that was the only way to not get injured by the shock wave.

Kwyndig has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Sep 9, 2012

Iluvlortab
Jul 19, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kwyndig posted:

In the test footage I've seen of the weapon (yes, they test fired it, with an actual nuke) the procedure was to dig a trench right behind the weapon, then everybody immediately jump into said trench after launching it, because that was the only way to not get injured by the shock wave.

The military training to "evade" a nuclear blast is to fall to the ground facing away from the flash and pray you don't die. Seriously. :(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair it was coming on the heels of WWII, the potential damage of even one nuke is astonishing, and no one knew if the "other side" (no matter what side you were on) was going to just jump into the game with them, so they were likely much more concerned with having a counter-attack ready for the majority populace than getting safety procedures right for the unlucky few on the ground. :(

It's a scary and stupid aspect of humanity, but for all the chiding the logic behind runaway arms build-ups isn't that hard to discern.

Rubber Ducky
Nov 5, 2009
It's also the reason why something like Operation Overlord will never happen again. Assemble a division plus of armor in one place, and the only reasonable response is a tactical nuclear strike. People love to carry on about how insane all this crap is, "because it would hurt the environment, man!", which is true, but gently caress-oh-dear man, I'll happily die in twenty years of cancer if it meant that I could live through the next few days when the Red Army was breaking out into Europe.

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

Rubber Ducky posted:

It's also the reason why something like Operation Overlord will never happen again. Assemble a division plus of armor in one place, and the only reasonable response is a tactical nuclear strike. People love to carry on about how insane all this crap is, "because it would hurt the environment, man!", which is true, but gently caress-oh-dear man, I'll happily die in twenty years of cancer if it meant that I could live through the next few days when the Red Army was breaking out into Europe.

I keep reading this but it's not making much sense to me.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DixielandDelight posted:

overlord was d day. He's saying that a massive troop invasion, where the entire force is concentrated in one small area is tactically unfeasible since the dawn of nuclear weapons because it would be far too easy to obliterate the troops in one strike.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

AFewBricksShy posted:

overlord was d day. He's saying that a massive troop invasion, where the entire force is concentrated in one small area is tactically unfeasible since the dawn of nuclear weapons because it would be far too easy to obliterate the troops in one strike.

No, the other part.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Farecoal posted:

No, the other part.

Let me see if I can parse it.

Operation Overlord could never happen again with the weapons we have today. If someone assembled that kind of projection of force into such close quarters, the temptation to use a nuclear bomb would be too great. You could detonate just one and your enemy's entire capacity to make war would be effectively obliterated in an instant.

It would suck, in that it would be very damaging to the environment and anyone living in the nearby area. However, in a scenario such as the Former Soviet Union and other Warsaw Pact countries suddenly deciding to march on Europe, your options would be limited. Basically, you could let them march in and destroy your country with conventional weapons. If you are a military grunt or leader, survival may be unlikely. Or, you could set off a bomb, end the war, and deal with the literal and figurative fallout.

Rubber Ducky
Nov 5, 2009

einTier posted:

Let me see if I can parse it.

Operation Overlord could never happen again with the weapons we have today. If someone assembled that kind of projection of force into such close quarters, the temptation to use a nuclear bomb would be too great. You could detonate just one and your enemy's entire capacity to make war would be effectively obliterated in an instant.

It would suck, in that it would be very damaging to the environment and anyone living in the nearby area. However, in a scenario such as the Former Soviet Union and other Warsaw Pact countries suddenly deciding to march on Europe, your options would be limited. Basically, you could let them march in and destroy your country with conventional weapons. If you are a military grunt or leader, survival may be unlikely. Or, you could set off a bomb, end the war, and deal with the literal and figurative fallout.

Bingo.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I think the temptation to use a nuke would be outweighed by the inevitable nuclear response on any and all military targets in the nation. If we were to stage a massive ground invasion of China (a thing that will never ever happen, for a billion reasons, but just as a for-instance) I seriously doubt they'd nuke our formations in response. I strongly believe that all wars between nuclear states would be purely conventional in scope.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Ducky, it's not the environmental damage that's the argument against this. I don't know why you think that even weighs in anyone's mind.

It's that as soon as one nation sets off a nuke (and wipes out an entire opposing army), the nukes don't stop. The opposition fires their nukes, because what else are they going to do, they just lost their entire army. So side 1 starts lobbing all their nukes, and anyone else with a score to settle against anyone starts popping off.

And then it's John Lee Hooker time: boom, boom boom, boom.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Better nuke this derail a'fore those bans start falling!

Old school diving suits were pretty badass!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Barometer posted:

Better nuke this derail a'fore those bans start falling!

Old school diving suits were pretty badass!

Oh, so THAT is what the Big Daddy mask is based on!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

TShields posted:

Oh, so THAT is what the Big Daddy mask is based on!

Yup. Designed by a couple of French brothers if I remember right, though it was never used, since I think it never really sealed up correctly. Still, a cool looking suit.

A lot of old atmospheric diving suits are cool because they either look like something a Medieval knight would wear, or some invader from beyond the stars.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What's really bad-rear end are the men who had the cajones to get in those suits despite the fact that explosive decompression can and did suck their bodies through a goddamn tube.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Iluvlortab posted:

The military training to "evade" a nuclear blast is to fall to the ground facing away from the flash and pray you don't die. Seriously. :(

They should have developed some sort of tactical school desk they could deploy in the field so they could duck under it case of earthquake or nuclear attack.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mind the walrus posted:

What's really bad-rear end are the men who had the cajones to get in those suits despite the fact that explosive decompression can and did suck their bodies through a goddamn tube.

You got a source for this? I was under the impression explosive decompression isn't a thing.

Wait, wtf? How would they decompress if it sprung a leak? I'm assuming you mean under the ocean, right? You're aware the water would be at a much greater pressure than the air inside?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok wrong term. Still, I've read that it's happened and oh boy is it nightmare fuel.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Two Finger posted:

You got a source for this? I was under the impression explosive decompression isn't a thing.

Wait, wtf? How would they decompress if it sprung a leak? I'm assuming you mean under the ocean, right? You're aware the water would be at a much greater pressure than the air inside?

He means being the suit being crushed under high water pressure, which is of course the opposite of decompression. But that's just a mix up in terms. Of course someone being crushed in a diving suit however deep in the ocean, either because the air pressure being supplied into the suit fails or they just go too deep, is going to be squeezed like toothpaste into their helmet.

I know Mythbusters ain't exactly the most reliable source, but they tested it and it's not too pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8

Explosive decompression can happen, it's just that the whole people being sucked out of airplane windows isn't really a thing, as the pressure differentials aren't really all that extreme, I believe. However, the Byford Dolphin diving bell accident was pretty nasty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Two Finger posted:

He might be talking about this. Seems like a pretty horrific way to go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident

edit: ^^^drat you :argh:

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Two Finger posted:

Oh, it's a thing.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

DixielandDelight posted:

Information on this engine? I'm guessing it's like an F1 car engine? What with all the fancy carbon fibre, turbo (and supercharger?) and dry sump? What are those cylinders on the sides?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It looks like Wily's Fortress to a Megaman game where everyone is shrunk down Rick Moranis-style.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vidaeus posted:

Information on this engine? I'm guessing it's like an F1 car engine? What with all the fancy carbon fibre, turbo (and supercharger?) and dry sump? What are those cylinders on the sides?

It's the engine from the Audi R18 LeMans prototype. Single-turbo diesel V6, with the exhaust valves on the inside of the V.

e: Lots of info here: http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/the-monoturbo/ It's quite a fascinating engine actually.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's an extremely wide angle for a V6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

KozmoNaut posted:

That's an extremely wide angle for a V6.

My car has an even wider angle. It's a flat-6.

• Locked thread