Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

That's pretty vague. I'm presuming you mean substance abuse? How old are young are you meaning when say kids? I will say I never had so much of a sip or puff of anything as a legal minor, and I never got over the taste of beer enough to drink it until my mid-twenties.

Oh whoops, nah I meant as in having neglectful or abusive parents. Not to make it sound like I'm throwing out the "Issues? Must've been your family!" card at all, I'm just curious since every once in a while I hear about people having issues like mine having similar backgrounds, and it's not a kind of discourse that's had much. (And for the record I did not substance abuse anything either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Goddamn posted:

Oh whoops, nah I meant as in having neglectful or abusive parents. Not to make it sound like I'm throwing out the "Issues? Must've been your family!" card at all, I'm just curious since every once in a while I hear about people having issues like mine having similar backgrounds, and it's not a kind of discourse that's had much. (And for the record I did not substance abuse anything either)

Yeah my family was hosed up, and still is!!

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Goddamn posted:

Dr. Barkley's pointed out in some texts, as have other books that mention ADHD in adults, that abuse from all sources (family, authority, peers) is more likely to happen to kids with ADHD, so that compounds already having compromised attention/function on a routine basis with increased symptoms during periods of stress due to dissociation.

Not all dissociative symptoms are Nam Vet thousand yard stare stuff, they can be reflexive shifts where the brain just kinda drifts off during a stressful conversation towards a laundry list, reliving similar stressful conversations, or LETS RIDE BIKES bullshit. Severe stress triggers for people with trauma/PTSD can lead to complete functional withdrawal that is very similar to the super procrastination powers of an ADHD adult where nothing gets done and it feels like you've been in a timewarp where a deadline has suddenly arisen from the 3-weeks that felt like a year oh god wtf.

Dissociation from trauma (childhood abuse, etc) during stressful periods can be very similar to distractibility/lack of concentration found in ADHD, which is why a thorough screening by a PhD/MD with a clinical and/or neuropsych background is very very important in order to get appropriate treatment. Stimulants help anyone concentrate better, because speed is loving awesome, so it is good to find out if you have GAD, PTSD or other trauma disorders overlapping with ADHD so that stimulants do not increase symptoms from overlapping issues and your doctor can look at other options to help with function (referral to talk therapy most importantly).

General note to posters who have brought up childhood abuse:
If you have a history of childhood abuse and have never received a comprehensive screening for ADHD, beyond a checklist and patient personal account, I'd really recommend getting a screening taken care of so that all the ducks are in rows and you're not digging yourself deeper in by treating PTSD with stimulant medications alone. I know this is easier said than done since a lot of insurance companies do not cover adult screening for developmental delays, learning disabilities or ADHD (been dealing with that poo poo for years), but the overlap between ADHD and trauma behaviors is something that really needs to be sorted out by an experienced professional.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had a very hosed up childhood, to the point that I moved out on my own when I turned 16 (though I still continued to attend high school). But I've also had at least three thorough ADHD evaluations during my life.

I think, like you say, they compounded each other. I was the target of extra abuse because I "just didn't get it" [i.e. was always ADDing out], but I think the abuse also exacerbated my ADD. Anyway I know I can't even really be around some of my family members anymore because they will undoubtedly say or do things that create a ton of anxiety which makes my ADD symptoms go through the roof.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
What exactly does a screening for ADHD entail? Any time I've ever brought it up to my psychiatrist it's just been a series of a few verbal questions about my history over a couple minutes and that's it.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

What exactly does a screening for ADHD entail? Any time I've ever brought it up to my psychiatrist it's just been a series of a few verbal questions about my history over a couple minutes and that's it.

A local test provider in my area lays out:
A clinical interview; review of past records (grades, reports, etc.)
A review of current symptoms and childhood symptoms.

Which everyone has basically done with their prescriber.

And a test battery including Conners’ Continuous Performance Test-II, Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2, and Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Function (BRIEF).

If you have had any history of head injury including concussions a neuropsych may do more poo poo. An EKG to ensure that you do not have underlying heart issues that speed may antagonize is also a requisite test for a lot of professional practices (asses must be covered, but the safety of patient is the primary concern).

These tests 'prove' the ADHD and establish a clinical basis to prescribe a commonly abused range of drugs just in case a review board doesn't consider the judgement/diagnosis based on personal account from the MD prescribing to be sufficient (no one wants to lose their medical license). Having testing batteries in your personal medical file will ensure that you always have an airtight diagnosis and access to a prescriber should you move into an area with tighter controls, or a good file to justify the speed prescription for some jobs would otherwise not hire someone on speed, etc. Kids get these tests covered by school districts, which is why some insurance companies refuse to cover them for adults without appeal circuses, since all of us should have had loving, caring families that allowed access to having functional problems assessed by a professional.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Goddamn posted:

Well, nobody's family is ideal of course, but I feel like mine was leagues ahead of most people around me. We were (are) poor as gently caress, but having learned about so many of my friend's upbringings I feel pretty blessed. I mean, I wish they had fed me more real food and less boxes of processed crap and sugar water. And then there are things like having never gone to the Dentist in my life because there wasn't the money. And of course I feel like in a lot of ways I feel like coming from a poor family meant I was disadvantaged in endless ways, including having all these things overlooked until my late twenties.

But yeah, certainly not abusive, and not neglectful beyond not having a lot of resources.

Edit: Though I will say when I look at all those friends families that are even more hosed, of course I just sigh and wonder what array of undiagnosed poo poo is going on in each person, and compounding as they inter-relate. I just now finally got one of my oldest closest friend to seek mental health services after nudging and nudging and pushing and almost threatening to sever if she didn't seek help because the collateral damage was getting too high.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 11, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hey all,

I'm usually on Ritalin (10mg twice daily) but this last week I've been moving and I can't remember where I packed my meds. I didn't think it would be a big deal but right now I'm going through some major withdrawal (migraine, tremor, dry mouth) and I don't know how to deal with it. I'm in a new town, so I'll need to sort out a new doctor/get the script transferred etc before I can get any more.

Is there an quicker way to alleviate the withdrawal than finding/taking more pills? I know it's a long shot but my head feels like it's about to crack open and if a glass of orange juice or something can fix that, it'd be a loving lifesaver.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hey all,

I'm usually on Ritalin (10mg twice daily) but this last week I've been moving and I can't remember where I packed my meds. I didn't think it would be a big deal but right now I'm going through some major withdrawal (migraine, tremor, dry mouth) and I don't know how to deal with it. I'm in a new town, so I'll need to sort out a new doctor/get the script transferred etc before I can get any more.

Is there an quicker way to alleviate the withdrawal than finding/taking more pills? I know it's a long shot but my head feels like it's about to crack open and if a glass of orange juice or something can fix that, it'd be a loving lifesaver.

Get some caffeine pills? It may alleviate things somewhat.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Advil, chicken noodle soup, and cardio exercise.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Very small but annoying: I met with the Disabilities Counselor at my college yesterday, and he noted that food and beverages are banned in classes.

So, if I want to sip coffee to help with my ADHD? I have to ask permission from the teacher. And if he says no? May have to get a note from my doctor, requesting this as an accommodation.

:psyduck:

(I very highly doubt it'd come to that, as I'm trying the 'Ritalin later' technique first. But, a Doctor's note to drink coffee? Did I mention that I live in Seattle? I LIVE IN SEATTLE. The streets are practically flowing with espresso here.)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
That doesn't sound entirely unreasonable, honestly. People are still shocked by the fact that if I drink too much coffee, ill fall asleep.

The grinder handle to my coffee grinder went missing and my whole month has sucked.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

ladyweapon posted:

That doesn't sound entirely unreasonable, honestly. People are still shocked by the fact that if I drink too much coffee, ill fall asleep.

The grinder handle to my coffee grinder went missing and my whole month has sucked.

I get that as well.

I'm hoping the rescheduling of the Ritalin will work before I have to resort to desperate measures, like grabbing a tall latte from Stumptown.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Qu Appelle posted:

Very small but annoying: I met with the Disabilities Counselor at my college yesterday, and he noted that food and beverages are banned in classes.

So, if I want to sip coffee to help with my ADHD? I have to ask permission from the teacher. And if he says no? May have to get a note from my doctor, requesting this as an accommodation.

:psyduck:

(I very highly doubt it'd come to that, as I'm trying the 'Ritalin later' technique first. But, a Doctor's note to drink coffee? Did I mention that I live in Seattle? I LIVE IN SEATTLE. The streets are practically flowing with espresso here.)

It takes about fifteen minutes for the caffeine in coffee to kick in; you could shotgun a carafe or two before class. :)

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Well this week was not so fun . . . I think the Adderall is giving me horrible mood swings or something. In the mornings I can focus and get the euphoric effect sometimes but I've also been getting into horrible moods with racing anxious depressing thoughts for most of the day. I've been sleeping poorly too and I think it's not just the stimulant effect but also the bad mood/thoughts keeping me up. This is only on 20mg of XR. Are stimulants just not for me or do I need to give this more time? I've been using Adderall for a few weeks but just 20 for a week-ish.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Adderall can do that, it's mostly the levoamphetamine in the mixed salts. I'd tell your doctor and see if they can get you on dexedrine/vyvanse.

That's the reason that I don't take adderall anymore.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Adderall can do that, it's mostly the levoamphetamine in the mixed salts. I'd tell your doctor and see if they can get you on dexedrine/vyvanse.

That's the reason that I don't take adderall anymore.

I see! I think I'll try lowering the dose for a little bit just to make sure it isn't a dosing problem, but after that I could see about dex/Vyvanse.

I've been trying to research Dexedrine and I'm confused about something . . . it has IR and ER versions but even the ER versions need to be taken twice a day it looks like? Or am I getting things confused?

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

I haven't been formally diagnosed by a sleep doctor, but I really fit Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder.

A week ago I read about this, and had "real sleep" for the first time in years or decades and many of my problems disappeared. Those same problems were also alleviated by ritalin, which I've been taking for a few months. I'm not sure why or how sleep/ritalin effects have crossover, probably something to do with norepinephrine?

I'm likely an extreme example because my natural sleeping time is when I definitely can't or don't want to sleep, so I never did. The problems this apparently caused are maybe best described as severe impairment of cognition/working-memory.

This post is taking forever to write because I'm unmedicated so I'll just say that my point is: a sleep disorder can be really bad for you (in my experience!).

usha
Feb 14, 2012

Erz posted:

A week ago I read about this, and had "real sleep" for the first time in years or decades and many of my problems disappeared. Those same problems were also alleviated by ritalin, which I've been taking for a few months. I'm not sure why or how sleep/ritalin effects have crossover, probably something to do with norepinephrine?

I'm likely an extreme example because my natural sleeping time is when I definitely can't or don't want to sleep, so I never did. The problems this apparently caused are maybe best described as severe impairment of cognition/working-memory.

This post is taking forever to write because I'm unmedicated so I'll just say that my point is: a sleep disorder can be really bad for you (in my experience!).

Could you describe what exactly happened in that week?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

When I switched to Ritalin, my mood swings and difficulty sleeping went away.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

usha posted:

Could you describe what exactly happened in that week?

Well I did what I could to not be disturbed (turned off phone, used earplugs) and slept from like 10am to 7pm. I woke up and had less brain problems. I couldn't sleep those hours the next day, so I just waited for the day after that. I didn't feel any worse after 48 hours.

I guess I'll try to describe how my sleep works, then the problems that were apparently related.

I get tired around 9am-12 every day. If that window passes, I can't sleep until the next one (same time the following day). Late afternoon to early morning, I always feel great. Sleep deprivation in general makes me feel like poo poo physically, but my mind - fatigue, desire to sleep, alertness etc isn't affected. Late morning fully rested: I want to sleep. Midnight and I haven't slept for 3 days: Can't sleep. Nothing seems to matter except time of day.

So, my circadian rhythm is locked to a schedule thats totally incompatible with life or "business hours" I guess. I'd just lie in bed from say midnight until 8am every day. Mostly awake, and any sleep I got evidently didn't do its job.

How my brain worked before that sleep (and not dosed) is hard to describe. The symptoms kinda match delirium, idk. Anyway, it was basically that my working-memory capacity or the amount of things I could have in mind at a time was minimal. Like uhh, if I crossed a street, I want to know theres no cars approaching from my left or my right. So lets say I look left and see no cars. I then look right and see no cars, but I no longer know what was to my left - its just gone from my mind. Same situation on ritalin I'd just look around and passively "know" things about my environment while they're relevant. I assume thats what normal people are like. Its how I am after sleeping right.

Now my issues are a lot closer to traditional ADHD poo poo. Unfortunately ritalin seems to work exactly the same, I just don't lose as much when it wears off. Before, parts of the effect would last longer than others, so I'd still be interested/focused/enjoying doing something when I suddenly can't comprehend multiple concepts or whatever. Now the limiting factor is just attention it seems.

-

Me and ritalin:

40mg is the lowest worthwhile dose for me, anything lower is essentially nothing. I can do things on 40mg, but stress and distractions totally gently caress me. And 40mg is less than 2 doses per day (2.5hrs per dose) on my current prescription. 60mg is way, way better but I don't take it much because I don't have enough pills.

The first two weeks 20mg worked great, then gradually became ineffective.

I've never had a side-effect on ritalin. In a lot of ways it seems to have the opposite effect. Like I've always had higher body temp than other people; but after taking ritalin I need to dress more heavily in cold weather, i sweat far less etc until it wears off.

Does anyone have experience with needing such high doses?

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

^^Re: Ritalin dosages: I haven't had much experience with Ritalin, but that sounds pretty high, especially if you're only getting a 2.5 hour effect per dose. That's just suspiciously tiny. The most I've ever known people get was 60mg (as 20mg 3x a day), but at that point their doctor would try something else out.

My sleep schedule issues seem to be getting better (at least in terms of actually feeling sleepy at appropriate times; I still need to not be a shithead w.r.t. time management) after getting to a more optimal dex dosage.

I've found that taking 2 (5mg) dexes a day would work pretty great during that actual dosage periods, but after the first there'd be a bit of a crash, after the 2nd there'd be a worse one (though either would only get bad once I started accumulating sleep debt), and I'd be kinda tense and insomniac at night. Plus no appetite, not in the sense that I didn't want to eat, just that I didn't... want to eat, if that makes sense. No problems with eating but it'd have to be scheduled or I'd forget it like forgetting to do the dishes.

Plus it was sometimes too easy to "misplace" the effect and spend a few hours all "shiiit astrophysics is amazing, I gotta figure out how they calculate this thing here" when I've got completely unrelated subjects to study.

So I tried doing half a pill 3x a day, and that was way more of a chill out calm effect. But... kind of too much. It wasn't doing more than a little bit for my attention span and I kept thinking about how I'd rather eat or take a nap. Great for being just time-aware enough but not too tense to actually go to bed though.

2x 3/4s ends up being a nice balance, though it gets a little stupid to cut (and take from a container in public oh god :downs:) since the pills are triangular. Plenty of attention but not covering up hunger or sleepiness and not so crashy. I still wouldn't take it too close to bedtime though, maybe a 1/2 in that case.

Dosages are weird.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 16, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Erz posted:

Me and ritalin:

40mg is the lowest worthwhile dose for me, anything lower is essentially nothing. I can do things on 40mg, but stress and distractions totally gently caress me. And 40mg is less than 2 doses per day (2.5hrs per dose) on my current prescription. 60mg is way, way better but I don't take it much because I don't have enough pills.

The first two weeks 20mg worked great, then gradually became ineffective.

I've never had a side-effect on ritalin. In a lot of ways it seems to have the opposite effect. Like I've always had higher body temp than other people; but after taking ritalin I need to dress more heavily in cold weather, i sweat far less etc until it wears off.

Does anyone have experience with needing such high doses?
Im really shocked your doctor hasn't had you try something else if Ritalin is this ineffective. It shouldn't be lasting only 2.5 hours and 60mg/day is about the maximum dosage. I take three 10mg pills per day, for reference.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So if Adderall makes my mood swings worse and Ritalin gave me anxiety then do I need something else on top of stimulants? A mood stabilizer or anti-depressant or something? :ughh:

Actually, is anyone on Vyvanse? I've heard it often helps a lot with anxiety.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 16, 2012

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

ladyweapon posted:

Im really shocked your doctor hasn't had you try something else if Ritalin is this ineffective. It shouldn't be lasting only 2.5 hours and 60mg/day is about the maximum dosage. I take three 10mg pills per day, for reference.

Duration is probably closer to 3 hours really, how much longer are people getting?

I've only seen my doc twice, about 2 months ago; my next appointment is in a few days. I decided to wait so long because I knew had brain problems that weren't ADHD symptoms, but didn't really know what they were or how to describe them. Its been lovely, but I learned a lot about my(unmedicated)self that I can tell my doc. Will it actually benefit me treatment-wise? Who knows.

For ritalin 200+mg/day prescriptions do happen, and 120mg/day has been studied fairly well and deemed beneficial/safe.

Anyways, getting more ritalin is annoying in my country so I'll likely be trying something else like dex.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Erz posted:

For ritalin 200+mg/day prescriptions do happen, and 120mg/day has been studied fairly well and deemed beneficial/safe.
I know extended release pills (which last 8+ hours) tend to come in higher dosings, but I've never heard of anyone being prescribed 120+mg/day of ritalin IR (which lasts ~4 hours) so I'd love to see those studies.

vv interesting. I did some searching around and can only find safe doses capping out at 60mg.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 16, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ladyweapon posted:

I know extended release pills (which last 8+ hours) tend to come in higher dosings, but I've never heard of anyone being prescribed 120+mg/day of ritalin IR (which lasts ~4 hours) so I'd love to see those studies.

I get 80 mg/day, in two doses. I think there's a legal maximum mg/month limit that prevents me from being able to get three doses per day. :(

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

ladyweapon posted:

vv interesting. I did some searching around and can only find safe doses capping out at 60mg.

Honestly I could be misremembering. After a quick search the highest dosage in a study I found was 1.3mg/kg/day of ER.

Theres enough internet anecdotes from doctors and patients using high doses that I'm not too concerned when I take 120-140mg in a day.

prefect posted:

I get 80 mg/day, in two doses. I think there's a legal maximum mg/month limit that prevents me from being able to get three doses per day. :(

Is this IR? How long does a dose last for you? If its ER, same question :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Erz posted:

Is this IR? How long does a dose last for you? If its ER, same question :)

It lasts about four hours. Well, it takes time to kick in. And it seems to peter out towards the end. So it's maybe three hours per dose. (I would love to have a third dose so I could be productive somewhere that isn't work, but you work with what you get. :shrug:)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

So if Adderall makes my mood swings worse and Ritalin gave me anxiety then do I need something else on top of stimulants? A mood stabilizer or anti-depressant or something? :ughh:

I just started taking Vyvanse about 4 weeks ago. I'm also on wellbutrin 300mg xr and Abilify 5mg daily, to help with depression and anxiety.

I actually had a problem with anxiety very recently and I was able to overcome it, though I dunno if I'd attribute it to the Vyvanse. I had 2 assignments on my plate last week for my grad classes and I could not figure out what it was I needed to do. The anxiety was compounded by the fact that I didn't remember one of the assignments until Friday (class is Monday) and I work 3 14-hour shifts during nights on the weekends. I had no foreseeable time to actually work on that assignment. I started working on that one during my shift and anxiety built up but eventually I was able to get my head on straight and say "gently caress it I'll try until it clicks." I was able to push something out over those 3 days and get the assignment turned in. The other one wasn't due until November as it turns out.

So I'd say maybe Vyvanse helped because it helped me be able to focus on my work. I can't say one way or the other if the anxiety would have been crippling without the meds, but being able to focus on it definitely gave me some confidence.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

I am, but I've never had issues with anxiety. It's basically an extended release Dexedrine.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm just not sure if I should spend any more time with stimulants since Ritalin made me very anxious and Adderall is making me extra moody and anxious, especially at levels where it actually helps focus. I'm going to call my pdoc tomorrow and try to make another appointment so I can try something else, Adderall seems like a lost cause. I just don't know if I should ask for Vyvanse or if we should just move on to something like Wellbutrin (assuming he'll prescribe it for me which I don't know).

I've actually used Wellbutrin before because they thought I had dysthymia or something. I don't remember the dosage I had but I know it didn't make me less sad so I ended up trying other things. I do clearly remember a "honeymoon" period where I felt good and got some small projects accomplished though. Maybe it helped and I didn't realize it because I thought I was depressed?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

I'm just not sure if I should spend any more time with stimulants since Ritalin made me very anxious and Adderall is making me extra moody and anxious, especially at levels where it actually helps focus. I'm going to call my pdoc tomorrow and try to make another appointment so I can try something else, Adderall seems like a lost cause. I just don't know if I should ask for Vyvanse or if we should just move on to something like Wellbutrin (assuming he'll prescribe it for me which I don't know).

I've actually used Wellbutrin before because they thought I had dysthymia or something. I don't remember the dosage I had but I know it didn't make me less sad so I ended up trying other things. I do clearly remember a "honeymoon" period where I felt good and got some small projects accomplished though. Maybe it helped and I didn't realize it because I thought I was depressed?

I'm diagnosed with dysthymia and I used to get suicidal ideation before I went on wellbutrin and abilify. Maybe you needed more?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I'm gonna see a psych today. This guy has been scheduled out for months but apparently works with adult ADD/ADHD.

I know that anxiety and depression kind of go hand in hand with ADD. And I am almost positive I have ADD. I have tried a few different meds for the anxiety/depression and I hated them all. I have NO interest on trying anything new.

So basically, what is the best way to tell the psych I am only interested in treatment for ADD?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

iSheep posted:

So I'm gonna see a psych today. This guy has been scheduled out for months but apparently works with adult ADD/ADHD.

I know that anxiety and depression kind of go hand in hand with ADD. And I am almost positive I have ADD. I have tried a few different meds for the anxiety/depression and I hated them all. I have NO interest on trying anything new.

So basically, what is the best way to tell the psych I am only interested in treatment for ADD?

Tell the psych what you said in this post

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
So today I find out if the counselor who works with special needs (and ADD) has availability. *crosses fingers*

sorry for e/n content but:
Basically my best (not only, but by far best) option for therapy is the free stuff through school but I am starting to feel like I've plateaued. Strangely my counselor was like "I feel like if you keep coming here I am enabling you" (ie: re working the same old poo poo) so I am hoping someone with some ADD training can help me get productive as that seems to be the last big depressing hump to get over.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The first step to getting poo poo done is to start doing it. You must believe your task is not insurmountable, and just start working on it.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

The first step to getting poo poo done is to start doing it. You must believe your task is not insurmountable, and just start working on it.

Well lately I have been feeling like "at least 10% done is not 10% in the hole!" which is a huge leap from my usual negativity.

"Baby steps to the door, baby steps to the car...."

i heart bob

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Interstitial Abs posted:

Well lately I have been feeling like "at least 10% done is not 10% in the hole!" which is a huge leap from my usual negativity.

"Baby steps to the door, baby steps to the car...."

i heart bob

Dont hassle me I'm a local

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Stupid thing, but I've been keeping up a to do list for almost two weeks now (tomorrow I tear up this week's list and write up a new one, it's quite silly). During our first meeting after the break between semesters, my psychologist asked about trying to do a calendar/to-do list and I agreed to try with the list, making the goal a baby one at half, even though I figured it was too little and still wouldn't cause "progress." Got to say, even though I still have some "this is worthless" floating around, I feel kinda :unsmith: and a little like Abs:

Interstitial Abs posted:

Also, Abs, I can feel you on hoping that a specialist would be better, that feeling comes occurs every now and again with me and my psych, mainly cause she's still a student. Personal thought digression you can skip: Like, I'm glad you know that some studies show this (to do lists, calendars, org stuff) is effective, but it's stupid and I hate it. Why don't you just know that this will work? Or make me feel confident about trying? Seeing different approaches to the same techniques should be one of the big tools that a specialist has over others, I would imagine.

HondaCivet posted:

Wouldn't be the first to go on two separate psych drugs, just look at Signal! Their on three and are some sort of space wizard. Truth be told, the shrink working for the clinic now has brought up anti-depressants in both of our sessions thus far and I've been concerned about it. I haven't really thought about a change in how often/easily I've had downturns/mood swings? (easily the biggest thing about depression for me), though they may be happening slightly more often now, but it's also been a bad two months or so, making a direct comparison pretty weak.

I'd say focus on your current mood issues and see where your doc wants to go from there. Remember, shrinks can't get away with trying to be like House and not asking you questions or talking to you.So, as long as they know that you want to talk about your meds, their side effects, and are willing to take their suggestions, you should walk out of there being able to answer that question for yourself.

Oh and thread, I ended up with a little cash from my bday and wanted to actually use just a little bit for myself in ways beyond just surviving. I just remembered about those Driven... books, but I don't know which one is the first/better one to read. Is it Driven to Distraction or Driven from distraction?