Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Factory posted:

What do you guys do with the posters included in some releases? I've been leaving them in the sleeves, but I've been tempted to hang them up as of late.

eggsovereasy posted:

You can put them in a frame too.

I leave most stuff in the sleeve but the posters that are just too good get framed in matte silver 'B' profile frames from Wholesale Poster Frames. It's about half what I thought it would cost and they are super easy to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It was mentioned few pages back, but no harm in bringing it up again. I'm a fan and I preordered- and if the GB thread in NMD is any indication, I'm sure plenty of other goons would too.

Sorry about that, not very familiar with the band. Hope someone here who doesn't frequent the GB thread gets something out of my post.

CPL593H posted:

I noticed that site is also selling CDs of the Crocodile Dundee soundtrack. Who was asking for this?

Could be a good joke gift? I don't have a clue.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Ron Burgundy posted:

That's cooool, I did not know there was a popsike ish app for the iphone.

With the VU, is that the Emerson back, the sticker and the airbrush?

Also McIntosh :allears:

Apologies for the slow response (busy week, and I forgot I even posted in this thread!). Anyway, yep, that's what they are. And yeah, McIntosh is so great. I was a "Marantz guy" until a friend let me borrow his MAC1900 receiver to compare with my 2265b. I wanted to like the Marantz more. I really tried to like it more, because the last thing I wanted at the time was yet another stereo dragon-chasing voyage, but alas, the McIntosh just sounded better. The only problem with that brand is, of course, the cost, but Craigslist has been extremely kind to me on that front (if you can find a good one, those Craigslist ad notifier software programs are also fantastically useful tools. A relatively-cheaply-priced McIntosh unit (or anything else of quality) will generally sell within a few minutes, so it helps a lot to get email notification the moment it gets listed. I've scored McIntosh gear that way on three separate occasions; I wouldn't have scored any of it without the email notification).

Also, yet another strangely good score from That Local Record/Book Store That's Usually Stocked with Crap, But Has Had Some Good Records in Recent Months:

Ronettes - "Presenting the Fabulous..." (a bit scuffy, but orig. mono)
Dogs - "Different" (70s French punk band with a pretty cool cover of "Nobody But Me")
"The Birth of Ska" (1989 reissue, but I'll take it)
Tom Waits - "I Wish I Was in New Orleans" (definitely not something I was expecting to find)

The best thing about that store is that they're the last store in my city to not bother using the internet to help determine prices. Pretty much everything is $6-$8, be it the above Tom Waits or a beat-up copy of Huey Lewis and the News' "Sports." The one exception I can remember was a copy of "Lonesome Crowded West" for $14.99; I guess they sensed something "special" about that one, heh....

I much prefer this pricing strategy to another one I've encountered: One time, I was at this vintage/antique store, and the guy had thousands of unpriced records in the basement (they were completely disorganized, just sitting around in boxes and loose stacks). I dug around down there for a couple hours and found a few pretty good things, most notably a copy of "Faust IV." Then I brought them up to the register, hoping for a great bargain. But the gently caressing rear end-hole swiveled his chair to his PC, looked up the records on eBay or GEMM or whatever, apparently picked out the most expensive copies, and based his prices on those (he quoted me $100 on the Faust!). I politely protested a bit, but he was having none of it. I wanted to snap the whole stack in of records in half, fling them across the room, and kick over an antique lamp for good measure, but I just glared at him and walked out. It still infuriates me to think that he probably displayed the records I found in the glass case after I left. He should have at least paid me a few bucks for my scavenging effort!

Ah, the stories from the trenches....

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 9, 2012

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

izationalizer posted:

Then I brought them up to the register, hoping for a great bargain. But the gently caressing rear end-hole swiveled his chair to his PC, looked up the records on eBay or GEMM or whatever, apparently picked out the most expensive copies, and based his prices on those (he quoted me $100 on the Faust!). I politely protested a bit, but he was having none of it. I wanted to snap the whole stack in of records in half, fling them across the room, and kick over an antique lamp for good measure, but I just glared at him and walked out.

I came across this a lot when collecting old video games, it's maddening and a great way to ensure I never come back, if someone is going to charge inflated eBay prices for things then I'll just get the things from eBay and save myself the trouble of leaving the house.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dr. Lariat posted:

I came across this a lot when collecting old video games, it's maddening and a great way to ensure I never come back, if someone is going to charge inflated eBay prices for things then I'll just get the things from eBay and save myself the trouble of leaving the house.

A lot of merchants who deal in second hand/collectable items fail to realize this. And yes, it's super annoying. Just because some dildo on the internet says it's worth some insanely over inflated price, doesn't mean anyone will ever pay that much. How is this not common sense? Especially for someone who's running a business.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

A lot of merchants who deal in second hand/collectable items fail to realize this. And yes, it's super annoying. Just because some dildo on the internet says it's worth some insanely over inflated price, doesn't mean anyone will ever pay that much. How is this not common sense? Especially for someone who's running a business.

A lot of people look at what other people are asking for on eBay, but they forget to look at what's actually selling. Yeah, I can ask 100 dollars for my copy of Wing Commander for the SNES, but am I gonna get 100 bucks for it?

But there are a lot of idiots running business. Especially people that don't realize how hard it is and how much work it really takes. You need to have a certain amount of skill and knowledge, and there are people who think "Hey, the customers are out there somewhere!"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

izationalizer posted:

....But the gently caressing rear end-hole swiveled his chair to his PC....

You can say "gently caress" and "poo poo" and "rear end" and such on these forums, you know. The "gently caress" and "poo-poo" and "rear end" biz are just word replacement filters that show up for non-goons or people who aren't signed in.

But yeah, I've totally dealt with people like that at yard sales before. One guy I went to had what seemed like a great looking box of old '70s rock records- except that he'd spent a few hours on Discogs in order to get the "fairest" (read: highest listed) prices on them. Never mind that he had a very different understanding of condition rankings than everybody else in the world.

You want $35 for a beat-to-poo poo copy of Led Zeppelin IV with a water damaged sleeve? Sure thing buddy. :thumbsup:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 10, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Holy gently caress, dude in Canada charging me $15.99 shipping for one LP on Discogs. ugh. I even checked the shipping by weight and figured for around $7 based on his chart.

I hate liking European bands sometimes.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

alg posted:

Holy gently caress, dude in Canada charging me $15.99 shipping for one LP on Discogs. ugh. I even checked the shipping by weight and figured for around $7 based on his chart.

I hate liking European bands sometimes.

This is how us Australians experience record buying every time. I just paid $43 for shipping on one thing, pictures to come when it arrives I guess (it is heavy though). I'd guess I usually pay $15-20 for shipping on one record, aside from the likes of Amazon and a few big eBay sellers that probably have deals worked out with the post services.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Sundazed is releasing a boxset soon that's going to feature 5 LPs.

Velvet Underground & Nico in Mono
White Light/White Heat in Mono
Nico - Chelsea Girl in Mono
Velvet Underground in Mono (I'm not sure how to explain it - it's apparently not just a straight fold-down of the stereo mix, since apparently it was messed with for optimal sound)
and 1969 - Stereo, which is comprised of stuff they recorded for their fourth MGM album that obviously never got released.

.....Aaaand the pre-order page is up HERE.

This looks really fantastic, but I'm having a bit of difficulty paying $99 for it (and that's the special pre-order price, too). I mean, I know that logically it isn't bad at all- $20 per LP, plus the box and posters- but I just can't stop seeing the big '$99' and stopping dead in my tracks about it. :ohdear:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, but 4 of those albums are otherwise unavailable, and sure, if you get down to it, only 2 are REALLY unique. It'll be more expensive once the preorders are done.

Plus, wouldn't you like to have something so your children can find out why people like the Velvet Underground?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Cemetry Gator posted:

A lot of people look at what other people are asking for on eBay, but they forget to look at what's actually selling. Yeah, I can ask 100 dollars for my copy of Wing Commander for the SNES, but am I gonna get 100 bucks for it?

But there are a lot of idiots running business. Especially people that don't realize how hard it is and how much work it really takes. You need to have a certain amount of skill and knowledge, and there are people who think "Hey, the customers are out there somewhere!"

There's a store near me that does this and it's pretty annoying. (To illustrate how little they actually know about music: someone sold them a pretty sweet metal collection a while back and the guy that prices their vinyl told me they had some sweet stuff that hadn't gone out yet; dude proceeds to show me a handful of Marillion records). They basically find a BIN price and assume that to be the value. The store I work at uses eBay/Discogs when we don't know what something is, but it's always using completed listings and with realistic expectations of what we think someone would be willing to pay (at least for the poo poo I end up pricing).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, but 4 of those albums are otherwise unavailable, and sure, if you get down to it, only 2 are REALLY unique. It'll be more expensive once the preorders are done.

Plus, wouldn't you like to have something so your children can find out why people like the Velvet Underground?

I know. Like I said, it's not a logical pause. I'm just sort of averse to seeing $100 price tags on single purchases for vinyl (yes yes, it's 5 LPs). And the only thing that makes 3 of these "otherwise unavailable" is the fact that they're mono remasters from the original tapes [while the other recent (and often cheaper, and colored) reissues apparently aren't]. And I wish 'Loaded' were included in the set.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 10, 2012

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

theradiostillsucks posted:

The store I work at uses eBay/Discogs when we don't know what something is, but it's always using completed listings and with realistic expectations of what we think someone would be willing to pay (at least for the poo poo I end up pricing).

I mind a lot less when it's used to mark a price for an item as I can't assume how the price on the tag was decided. The worst offenders in my town are places that don't tag items and then look it up in front of you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I hate children and if I saw one try to touch my records I'd probably hit it with a stick. Also I'm gay and gays can't have kids.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

This is how us Australians experience record buying every time. I just paid $43 for shipping on one thing, pictures to come when it arrives I guess (it is heavy though). I'd guess I usually pay $15-20 for shipping on one record, aside from the likes of Amazon and a few big eBay sellers that probably have deals worked out with the post services.

I've bought quite a bit from eBay the last couple of weeks and one big huge massive order from Hot Topic (because of that 50% off thing and terrible local prices on those releases) and the most I've paid for shipping was $23 for 5xLPs and 2x7"s. Then today I bought Trash Talk's new album for $15 and postage was $20 :(

Finally got a decent record player today, an old school Hitachi with a Shure cartridge. Turns out the spike on the platter is too big for my Dinosaur Jr. Bug - Live at the 9:30 12". Don't want to push it down because the record is pretty limited and the jewel of my collection at this point (at least until my DFA1979 RSD release comes because that is gonna make me drool). Anything I can do?

Also, I'm running the turntable direction into my Logitech Z5500's at the moment through the stereo cables from the turntable, but there's a green wire as well; I assume that plugs into amps to ground it?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

I, Butthole posted:

Also, I'm running the turntable direction into my Logitech Z5500's at the moment through the stereo cables from the turntable, but there's a green wire as well; I assume that plugs into amps to ground it?

There should be a grounding screw on the back of your amp that the green wire hooks to. Does it have a prong on the end of it?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Yesterday I went to a flea market and a lot of people were selling vinyl, so I went through them.
Since I'm an Iron Maiden fan, I was immediately drawn to a live Iron Maiden album that was "limited to 500 copies", and was selling for €50 (About 60 bucks). I thought the prize was very low, since 500 would be an insanely low number of copies for a band like Iron Maiden.
...Then I actually checked the vinyl.
It was a bootleg, published by "The Swingin' Pig". I mean..- who the gently caress would pay legitimate prices for these copyright infringing, low quality, shits? I mean, it's no different from me recording any of their live concerts, put them on 10 vinyl, and just sell them for very high prices due to their "very limited quantity".
Is this a common thing?

http://www.discogs.com/Iron-Maiden-Somewhere-Back-In-Brazil/release/2797729

EDIT: Just in case, I did not buy this.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 10, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I figure if I ever have kids they will learn like, their first semester at college, man, about how great the Velvet Underground was, man.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I hate children and if I saw one try to touch my records I'd probably hit it with a stick. Also I'm gay and gays can't have kids.

Gays want to hit kids with sticks. You heard it here first! (Eat it, Fox News)

Got two packages in the mail today:

Chromatics - Kill For Love

An absolutely stellar album which sold out of it's first pressing of 10.000 copies on magenta coloured vinyl in no time. I guess they're getting pretty big now? They deserve it though, this album rules and the vinyl sounds amazing. You can still get this one from Norman Records.

Minus The Bear - Infinity Overhead

Not a great album (I've only ever really liked their album Planet Of Ice) but still worth the pre-order cost of 10 bucks. It's on blue vinyl limited to 200 copies, which is nice. You can still get it from Big Scare Monster Records. It's an enjoyable album. Haven't given it a spin yet. Chromatics is taking up my player right now.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I know. Like I said, it's not a logical pause. I'm just sort of averse to seeing $100 price tags on single purchases for vinyl (yes yes, it's 5 LPs). And the only thing that makes 3 of these "otherwise unavailable" is the fact that they're mono remasters from the original tapes [while the other recent (and often cheaper, and colored) reissues apparently aren't]. And I wish 'Loaded' were included in the set.

Yeah. If you want the Velvet Underground on vinyl, it's really easy to find. It seems like their albums are constantly in press somewhere. The problem is that a lot of these pressings are really low quality. My copy of "The Velvet Underground" is really noisy. Also, the mono mixes are almost never used, so it's something different.

As for Loaded, it's sort of the bastard red-headed stepchild of the group since it is owned by Warner. Which means you have to license it from them, which is probably pretty expensive. You can find Loaded repressed on vinyl though. I have it.

CPL593H posted:

Also I'm gay and gays can't have kids.

Well, certainly not with that "can don't" attitude, mister! There's always a way! Even if it means stealing a street urchin and raising it as your own.

That's how I came to be, because the alternative is too horrifying...

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Finally got a decent record player today, an old school Hitachi with a Shure cartridge. Turns out the spike on the platter is too big for my Dinosaur Jr. Bug - Live at the 9:30 12". Don't want to push it down because the record is pretty limited and the jewel of my collection at this point (at least until my DFA1979 RSD release comes because that is gonna make me drool). Anything I can do?

Some people say just push down on the spindle and the hole will stretch a little, but I'm always afraid the record is going to break when I try to pull it off again so I use a pencil or bic pen and rotate in the hole on the record a little bit to make the hole a little larger (don't over-do it though).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Gays want to hit kids with sticks. You heard it here first! (Eat it, Fox News)

We only hit them with sticks when we're not busy recruiting them.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I just jam it down over the hole and after a couple times pulling it on and off the thing is stretched enough to start fitting easily every time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
e: Nevermind

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 10, 2012

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah I just jam it down over the hole and after a couple times pulling it on and off the thing is stretched enough to start fitting easily every time.
Are we still talking about gay people or are we back to vinyl?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

synthetik posted:

There should be a grounding screw on the back of your amp that the green wire hooks to. Does it have a prong on the end of it?

Don't have a proper amp+speaker set up yet (that's what I'm saving for now, after I build my display cabinet over the coming weeks), so I've just got the stereo output plugging straight into the Z5500 controller - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certified-Digital-Surround-Speaker/dp/B0002WPSBC

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I had fun at Goodwill today.

I got the complete discography of M/A/R/R/S, which is always a good find. I just wish they outputted more than 11 minutes of music.

And then I got K-Tel's 22 Explosive Hits. As part of the show, side 1 plays pretty good, no skips. Side 2 was apparently manhandled and whacked with a stick, and looks worse for the wear. And skips a bunch of times. But I can get through "The Morning After" before it starts skipping a little too crazily. It's also fun to hear the edits.

Edit: Here's an interesting part of the story.

The NOW compilations got their start in England as a way to make hit compilations sound good. They were double disc affairs, which meant that instead of having 11 songs on a side, they were only limited to 7 or 8 songs. Which meant that their sides were still long, but they weren't so bad.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 10, 2012

dumbskull
Mar 25, 2012

im cool
how am I supposed to get all this dust and hair and mustard off of these things?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Got one of my favorite albums today:

Super Furry Animals - Guerrilla

It's signed by the whole band, but I really only got it because it was pretty cheap ($50), not because of the signatures.

The pop-up gatefold is pretty cool, too:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Seeing as I got turned on to them in this thread, I'm assuming there are some Yamantaka // Sonic Titan fans here who might not know that if you boost their project on some website by entering your name and email you'll get a free art poster that they made. They've got a hundred but by my estimate they have about 30 left, so get them while their hot. (well, if their 'idea' gets 'boosted' enough. I have no friggin' clue. Potential free poster though!)

How will they do shipping? What is that site all about? A Y//ST videogame? What?
All questions perhaps answered some day.

Also, their debut album is back for sale at Paper Bag Records so definitely get that if you missed out on the white vinyl.

They rule.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 11, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just got the thing in the mail that cost me $43 in postage:

This is my favourite album and I was hanging out for a copy that wouldn't cost me $300+. I managed to get it for a lot less than that, guess I got lucky with the auction because no-one else ended up bidding on it.

Got a couple of other things this week too, For My Parents is on white vinyl.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Got my Dan Deacon - America pre-order LP today! It's on clear vinyl and sounds great. I'm a big Dan Deacon fan so I'm pretty happy about this one.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
Just picked up two Innervisions releases.

Matthew Dekay & Lee Burridge - Lost in a Moment
Ry & Frank Wiedemann - Howling

William Lee fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 12, 2012

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
drat I love Lee Burridge. Did you get them locally?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.

synthetik posted:

drat I love Lee Burridge. Did you get them locally?

I wish. I ordered them from Muting the Noise.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Finally got the Swans album the other day! Beautiful triple gatefold with a nice cat's anus on the back with Gira's signature a few inches below it.

Went up to Seattle for a few days and only got to check a hand ful of record stores out. Bop Street is uncomfortable and I don't get why it even exists. Sonic Boom has great prices and a great, but small, used indie/punk section where I splurged on some good $6 plates. Wish I could have tried the plce next to Melrose Marketplace since it was very aesthetically pleasing looking inside.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Finally got the Swans album the other day! Beautiful triple gatefold with a nice cat's anus on the back with Gira's signature a few inches below it.

Went up to Seattle for a few days and only got to check a hand ful of record stores out. Bop Street is uncomfortable and I don't get why it even exists. Sonic Boom has great prices and a great, but small, used indie/punk section where I splurged on some good $6 plates. Wish I could have tried the plce next to Melrose Marketplace since it was very aesthetically pleasing looking inside.

I think that may be a dog's rear end.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

And so my Porcupine Tree collection keeps expanding:

I got this for super cheap because the outer slipcase has some dings in the corners and the gatefold has a tiny split seam, but it was much better than how he described its condition. Came with a bunch of goodies too, like a poster, postcard and booklet. The record itself is probably the best looking one I've seen so far oh my god this is the best thing :woop:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

New Menomena record came early today along with the newest Ramona Falls LP. I'm happy my records came early but poo poo, corners are all ding'd up and creased.

Also picked up recently:

David Byrne and St. Vincent - Love this Giant
The Books - Lost and Safe
Air - Moon Safari