Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Roboto posted:

Thanks as well! My real name's Dave, too, so it's not a pun, either.

Edit your post and change this to "domo arigato" you son of a bitch

Also, I will see your Batman and raise you a Darth Vader:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ukelele de Chocobo

Now I have this lodged in my head. Thanks a lot. :argh:

(no, really, thanks, such a great Chocobo theme.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Now, I couldn't remember most of FF7's music, does that make me not a FF fan? And I could hum FF9's battle theme and overworld theme (the latter's just Melodies of Life). And FF9 had some great music. Rose of May, Dark Messenger, Not Alone, Ukelele de Chocobo... and of all the voiced pieces, Melodies of Life was by far the best.

But I think it's purely subjective - some people just gravitate to some games' soundtrack more than others, especially if they prefer a game more. And Nomura did more pieces for FF9 than any other game, which must say something.

The only song I can remember from FF7 is Aeris' song, because it's pretty much a remixed, recut FF6 opera.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Now, I couldn't remember most of FF7's music, does that make me not a FF fan?

No, of course not, that would be silly hyperbole. If you personally remember FF9's music the most, that's fine.

I'm fairly confident you remember these two songs, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBM3bX7xdw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wJ8pE2qKU

Look at my youtube example earlier:

FF9 cover 1,290 results
FF8 cover 1,460 results
FF7 cover 2,460 results
FFx cover 4,190 results

Obviously this isn't the be all and end all of proof about popularity, but it does illustrate that there's definitely a leaning towards FF7 and X. We could start counting individual track names but I think the point is made.

Then there's the Symphonic Fantasies--if you look at the playlist, FF9 is sorely underused. FF7, 8 and X get the most attention. And Kingdom Hearts, inexplicably.

So, as I said: FF9's music is fine, but it's simply not as memorable (and popular) as the rest of the series' soundtracks.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aeris is a great character for that. Everything about her design says meek damsel in distress, pure flower girl and whatnot, but she's actually a tomboy, completely into the idea of going on an adventure, and figures out the plot way in advance of everybody else. In one scene she herself has to remind Cloud that she grew up in the slums when he gets overly protective, and I can't help but see that as commentary on perceived roles in the genre.

Join me next time when we talk about the depiction of black identity in FFVII with a special focus on the association with firearms.

I like how Sazh is actually VERY similar to Barret: A black guy older than most of the main cast, single father, gun-user, somewhat silly mannerisms and body language.

Yet their characters are completely, totally different.

I almost think Nomura created Sazh deliberately to subvert the stereotype criticism he undoubtably heard in the 15 years since FF7 came out.

That's partially why Barret was a bit goofier and less Angry Black Man in ACC.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Edit your post and change this to "domo arigato" you son of a bitch

If Amano did a Batman vs Vader animation, IT WOULD WORK.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 10, 2012

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Now I have this lodged in my head. Thanks a lot. :argh:

(no, really, thanks, such a great Chocobo theme.)

Ukelele de Chocobo is The Best chocobo theme. It's so chill.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Sorry, but Crazy Chocobo is the best for the exact opposite reason.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

No, of course not, that would be silly hyperbole. If you personally remember FF9's music the most, that's fine.

I'm fairly confident you remember these two songs, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBM3bX7xdw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wJ8pE2qKU

Look at my youtube example earlier:

FF9 cover 1,290 results
FF8 cover 1,460 results
FF7 cover 2,460 results
FFx cover 4,190 results

Obviously this isn't the be all and end all of proof about popularity, but it does illustrate that there's definitely a leaning towards FF7 and X. We could start counting individual track names but I think the point is made.

Then there's the Symphonic Fantasies--if you look at the playlist, FF9 is sorely underused. FF7, 8 and X get the most attention. And Kingdom Hearts, inexplicably.

So, as I said: FF9's music is fine, but it's simply not as memorable (and popular) as the rest of the series' soundtracks.

I think an obvious counterpoint is that FFVII and FFX are simply more popular FF titles period, regardless of musical memorability. FFIX was always treated as the darkhorse (comparatively speaking) post-VII title. Reasons have been given such as its release date which I think was around the time of the PS2's launch date and thus when PS1 games were old news.

Now I'm not arguing with you, man. I can't really comment on "general popularity" or memorability because I can remember at least 5-10 songs from everY FF game I've beaten, including FFX-2 which had a pretty average at best OST. I just think there are other reasons for why FFIX doesn't have the same exposure on a place like YouTube.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Just listen to the single best track that the series has ever brought to us and let the whole music debate be rendered blissfully moot.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
As far as FFIX chat goes I just completed disc 1, and I still maintain that Chocobo hot and cold is one of the best mini games on the franchise. You don't need to even touch it but if you do you get so many more items, and useful ones at that. Not to mention powering up Choco as you learn new abilities is so :3:

Also, for whoever said Gizmaluke is too difficult, just literally make sure you make The Ogre for Zidane at the synthesis shop. He will do stupid amounts of damage at this point in the game solo, let alone your other party members.

The only real negatives so far are the obvious "battles move way too loving slow", and buffs are worthless unless an item gives you it, because I swear protect and shell only last two turns. Unless the duration is based on the caster, in which case Quina makes Mighty Guard horrible in this game.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ShadeofDante posted:

The only real negatives so far are the obvious "battles move way too loving slow", and buffs are worthless unless an item gives you it, because I swear protect and shell only last two turns. Unless the duration is based on the caster, in which case Quina makes Mighty Guard horrible in this game.

It's based off the caster's Spirit, a stat that goes up as you go up in levels.

At the same rate as your damage stats go up.

So, this means, at higher levels, where you need defensive abilities less, they're more powerful. And, at lower levels, when you need them most, they're less powerful.

I don't think someone thought this through.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ShadeofDante posted:

As far as FFIX chat goes I just completed disc 1, and I still maintain that Chocobo hot and cold is one of the best mini games on the franchise. You don't need to even touch it but if you do you get so many more items, and useful ones at that. Not to mention powering up Choco as you learn new abilities is so :3:

Also, for whoever said Gizmaluke is too difficult, just literally make sure you make The Ogre for Zidane at the synthesis shop. He will do stupid amounts of damage at this point in the game solo, let alone your other party members.

My favorite strat to beat Gizamaluke: Throw a Tent at him when the fight starts. Tents can be used in battle to heal a lot of HP and MP, but have a chance to cast a bunch of bad status effects too. If you throw a tent at him it fully heals him, then inflicts darkness, poison, and I think Silence (either that or I inflicted silence some other way)

It makes him way easier when he misses half his attacks and can't use the other half.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 10, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"FF9's music isn't as memorable."
"What? I remember it clear as day." - like half the thread
"If you remember it more, that's fine, but it's not as memorable."

:psyduck:

Have you ever considered that there's more results on youtube for FF7 and FFX because more people played those? Also, did you play FF7 when you were a kid/teenager, and if so, did you also play FF9 when you were a kid/teenager? Did you play FF9 before or after FF7?

Because, seriously, a lot of memorability when it comes to music has to do with the context you first heard it in. I can remember the not bad, but fairly directionless boss themes from that one Yu-Gi-Oh SRPG on Gamecube, not because I think it's awesome music or it's instantly memorable, but just because it was one of the first games I got for my gamecube and I played the poo poo out of it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF9 Music: Right now every time I heard a new song in Disc 1 I got all excited and recognized it and the majority of Disc 2 was bland enough music-wise that it all kind of blends together. Iifa tree is an angry casio keyboard, I can't recognize the different area themes other than that.

Except for Black Mage Village. The singing monkeys or whatever the hell are really distinctive.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Momomo posted:

Is there a reason the dialogue in that (and KH actually) is so ridiculously stilted? People talk like this in

drat near any sentence.

It gets really

tedious to listen to.

The other Final Fantasies don't seem to have this problem.

I think they have to make pauses due to the way the game handles sound.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I generally do not notice music in games, so when people mention specific tracks I get pretty lost. Character themes in particular have always baffled me, since they seem pretty arbitrarily placed. They seem more like general themes than one for a specific person.

Except Sazh. His theme just feels incredibly obvious.

Endorph posted:

Because, seriously, a lot of memorability when it comes to music has to do with the context you first heard it in. I can remember the not bad, but fairly directionless boss themes from that one Yu-Gi-Oh SRPG on Gamecube, not because I think it's awesome music or it's instantly memorable, but just because it was one of the first games I got for my gamecube and I played the poo poo out of it.

Oh wow, I remember that game and somehow sort of remember this theme. I'm afraid to go back and look at it, in case I find out I wasted all those late summer nights on a lovely game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Falsebound Kingdom is pretty alright as a game. Like, it's not amazing, and it's pretty easy to break the game wide-open, but it does some interesting things. I've certainly played way worse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mister Roboto posted:

As a way of thanks, here's a pic of what Batman would look like in the Final Fantasy world:

Are you sure that's not just Cecil with a cape fighting off a hoard of annoying bats instead? Bats are assholes in that game and all.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mazed posted:

Just listen to the single best track that the series has ever brought to us and let the whole music debate be rendered blissfully moot.

That track is great. I think all the running around the Black Mage Village would get annoying, except the music just makes it really enjoyable.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Vader's hard to top, so have some Amano Superman

I think somewhere along the line, Amano got Batman and Superman confused; Batman should be posing in the moonlight, while Supes should be out in the day.

And these two people:

Electra and Wolverine.

I wish Amano would lay off the LDS in his paints

He also worked on The Sandman: The Dreameaters. Here is Morpheus.

:fap:

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
^^^ Those are some wonderful pieces of art, I just love the surreal quality of Amano's artstyle.

Mister Roboto posted:

Now, FF9's music is alright. It has quality. But it simply wasn't quite the same level of Uematsu's instantly-hooked tunes. Can anyone recall FF9's boss theme off the bat? FF9's overworld? Zidane's theme? Or ANY FF9 character's theme?

Actually, yes. I can recall all of those and most of the entire soundtrack. This is why it's crazy to me that someone would call it unmemorable. Even now, I can recall the opening song The Place I'll Return to someday, Vivi's Theme, Vamo' Alla Flamenco, Steiner's Theme, every battle theme, Ice Cavern, Dali Village, Treno's, Garnet's, Kuja, Burmecia, Tantalus, Hunter's Chance, and more. I can remember Amarant's Theme!

As mentioned, 7/8/10 are just more popular in general. It has nothing to do with how great the music is in terms of why they get more covers. Again, mentioned, FFIX came out right around the time the PS2 was released so it kinda hurt it in terms of sales/popularity. (Much like every game released for a last-gen console on the brink of a new one)

Rueish fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 10, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't dislike FFIX's music but I honestly can't remember much of it. It's not bad music but I can instantly name songs from almost every other game. (FFXII's the only other one I tend to drift on.) Something about it just doesn't stick in my head at all. I like FFIX a lot too so it isn't a general dislike for the game or anything.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

One thing that was cool about IX is that each area had its own distinctive theme. No generic dungeon/cave/village/whatever music. XII did that as well, but didn't have quite as much variation in styles and instruments.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Well my top 5 jrpg soundtracks are:

1. Chrono Cross
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Final Fantasy X
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Chrono Trigger

I honestly can't remember any of XII's songs other than the menu music. VIII is also pretty far down the list, with Laguna's theme being the only exception. XIII's music is pretty good. I really need to replay VI, as I only remember the world map music to be really good.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
If we're not limited to Square, Suikoden 1+2 have soundtracks that blow away everything. Love that upbeat gypsy/Scottish highlands poo poo

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I can't remember much of IX's music and I played it pretty recently. I remember liking the music, but I'd agree that it doesnt "click" like some of the other games in the series.

Also the characters were great, some parts with Steiner can still make me laugh out loud and stuff with Vivi's and Zidane's storylines can still bring a tear to my eye.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I really need to replay VI, as I only remember the world map music to be really good.

Locke's Theme is played like once and it is the best drat song a Final Fantasy has ever had. :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

Locke's Theme is played like once and it is the best drat song a Final Fantasy has ever had. :colbert:

Three times, two very early on in the game and then once after finishing his pain-in-the-rear end quest in the second half of the game to reward you for enduring that bullshit.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I hope I'm not the only one reading this music discussion and having to look up almost every song on Youtube. I know them when I hear them but the names just fall right out of my head.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mazed posted:

One thing that was cool about IX is that each area had its own distinctive theme. No generic dungeon/cave/village/whatever music. XII did that as well, but didn't have quite as much variation in styles and instruments.

XII had great music, but most of the really memorable stuff was the leitmotifs. Not much other than that really stood out (except Battle on the Big Bridge, which is the best version from any game in the series :colbert:).

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Loving Life Partner posted:

If we're not limited to Square, Suikoden 1+2 have soundtracks that blow away everything. Love that upbeat gypsy/Scottish highlands poo poo

Add the Suikoden series to the list of games I need to play. I find it difficult to play older games with mechanics that just aren't seen anymore. I will always find myself comparing it to a more recent release, which is a stupid thing to do, but I just can't help myself. However, from what I've gathered the Suikoden series has held up pretty well in the gameplay department. I still haven't heard any of the music though.

ImpAtom posted:

It really reminds me of how long ago I've replayed VI, I don't even remember the context to that song. I think it's the first time you meet Locke?

VVV Yea, I always expect translation in 90s JRPG games to be pretty bad so that's not a deal breaker for me.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 10, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Add the Suikoden series to the list of games I need to play. I find it difficult to play older games with mechanics that just aren't seen anymore. I will always find myself comparing it to a more recent release, which is a stupid thing to do, but I just can't help myself. However, from what I've gathered the Suikoden series has held up pretty well in the gameplay department. I still haven't heard any of the music though.

The Suikoden series is dated in places but (at least for the first two games) is also very fast, light on grind and in general easy to pick up and play. Suikoden III is the first I'd argue is really mired down by that stuff.

Of course S1 is still a pretty old game and does have some outdated stuff (hope you like hugging walls to find secret passages) and S2 has a crap-rear end translation but what can you do?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Quote is not edit.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think To Zanarkand is probably one of the most memorable songs in the series (or maybe Hymn of the Fayth, on account of it's the most prominent loving song in the game and even has a plot point (though I can't even remember Garnet's song)), so I'm not surprised at all you'll find a million hits for FFX on youtube!

Also tri-Ace/tri-Crescendo are amazing and should do all the soundtracks

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

I hope I'm not the only one reading this music discussion and having to look up almost every song on Youtube. I know them when I hear them but the names just fall right out of my head.

I don't know any of the names either, you've got to do some research beyond just playing the games (i.e. looking up every song on Youtube.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

XII had great music, but most of the really memorable stuff was the leitmotifs. Not much other than that really stood out (except Battle on the Big Bridge, which is the best version from any game in the series :colbert:).

FFXII's music is often overlooked, even by its fans. I can name several pieces I love from the game and I think the music is a huge part of the Immersion Factor. FFXII is the most addictive FF I've ever played and I can spend hours just exploring and listening to the area music.

Francois Kofko posted:

Also tri-Ace/tri-Crescendo are amazing and should do all the soundtracks

I've played one game by theme - Star Ocean 3- and the soundtrack was done by Sakuraba. I happened to have recently played another game he did the composition for...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XARPxxfAeUc

The man is amazing.

Fox listed his Top 5 JRPG Soundtracks and after beating Baten Kaitos, I'd have to put it very high in my favoroties list.

No real order...
Xenogears
Xenosaga Episode III (Kajiura pretty much only does anime I think. She needs to do more games)
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantay X
Baten Kaitos

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I personally loved every final fantasy soundtrack except for FFX. I thought the voice acting was so bad I just muted my TV and listened to something else instead. Kid A by Radiohead will always be the soundtrack to FFX in my mind.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXII's music is often overlooked, even by its fans. I can name several pieces I love from the game and I think the music is a huge part of the Immersion Factor. FFXII is the most addictive FF I've ever played and I can spend hours just exploring and listening to the area music.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. I love the soundtrack, I was just pointing out that much of it isn't instantly memorable.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I personally loved every final fantasy soundtrack except for FFX. I thought the voice acting was so bad I just muted my TV and listened to something else instead. Kid A by Radiohead will always be the soundtrack to FFX in my mind.

What does the voice acting have to do with the soundtrack? 90% of the music in that game plays while nobody's talking.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I definitely prefer 9's music to 10, so much elevator music. 12 is guilty of that too, but I remember the Rabanastre lowtown music reminding me of a Mana game.

Some of the best Star Ocean music is in 2. It's no coincidence that's the last good Star Ocean game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

rodbeard posted:

Kid A by Radiohead will always be the soundtrack to FFX in my mind.
Final Fantasy Tactics had some amazing music, but the first time I played it I was dumb and had the game muted while listening to Garbage's Version 2.0. Every time I hear a song from that album, it reminds me of FFT.