Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

graham is like that guy in batman who wont stop talking talking about bats and how they'll survive the next evolutionary crisis
chuck moore is like that too except he beleives the crisis already came and went and he and his fellow forthers are now the light of sanity in an insane world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Mr Dog posted:

good thing doing lots and lots of atomic increment and decrement operations to manage dem refcounts hasn't ever been shown to take a giant poo poo on program performance either

what kind of insane performance requirements are you talking about, exactly?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
if you're advocating completely manual memory management on a phone or tablet that has a 1ghz+ processor i would ask why. i mean since it's a superset of C if your superstitious refcounting performance hit ever ends up actually being real you can just write that chunk in straight C with malloc/free keying off the initer and dealloc methods on whatever object you use to encapsulate it

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
he's not. he's implying gc is faster in an asinine manner

i mean, the memory usage is a much bigger problem with most decent gc techniques rather than the time, but people will still beat on that canard forever

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
oh. well it's not like you even have a choice since the objc gc isn't on ios (and i don't see why they would bother adding it since the release of arc)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

remember those minor point releases xcode was having for a few years? xcode was the only major app using garbage collection, and apple kept finding incompatibility bugs in the system frameworks that xcode needed to work around. i'm glad they tried out garbage collection, but arc is so good that it's no wonder they immediately deprecated garbage collection

Toady fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 9, 2012

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Toady posted:

remember those minor point releases xcode was having for a few years? xcode was the only major app using garbage collection, and apple kept finding incompatibility bugs in the system frameworks that xcode needed to work around. i'm glad they tried out garbage collection, but arc is so good that it's no wonder they immediately deprecated garbage collection

i think just about the only thing a garbage collector could handle better is cycles in data structures, but there are workarounds when you use ARC

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

how does ARC compare with RAII and C++11's move semantics?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i dont see how either of those c++ things supports multiple references at all

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

how does ARC compare with RAII and C++11's move semantics?

i don't really see how there's a comparison since they're for different things

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
looking at radium's old blog i see that he was all about switching from php to perl to improve performance

aside from "lol perl" and "yeah php", and assuming no php accelerators are involved, is this plausible at all? cause it seems kind of dubious 2 me

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Gazpacho posted:

looking at radium's old blog i see that he was all about switching from php to perl to improve performance

aside from "lol perl" and "yeah php", and assuming no php accelerators are involved, is this plausible at all? cause it seems kind of dubious 2 me

perl owns

rewrite everything in perl

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Gazpacho posted:

radium thought it was a good idea soooo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Gazpacho posted:

perl has actual smart people working on improving the language runtime doesn't it

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
these are all good points but objc is still just too [NSuglyasfuck] for the desktop

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Gazpacho posted:

by performance I think he meant 'lol gonna rewrite everything'.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=php&lang2=perl

seems mostly comparable, but perl always uses much less memory. this is not surprising. last time I checked, perl didn't use a bytecode interpreter.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

deep square leg posted:

these are all good points but objc is still just too [NSuglyasfuck] for the desktop

subjective

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
it's ok i love python and still hate __shitlikethis___.ugh

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
python owns

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i think both are better than

if ruby
  print "using words for control blocks, haven't you heard of braces?"
end

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

deep square leg posted:

it's ok i love python and still hate __shitlikethis___.ugh

i think __foo__ is ok when you're doing something with new or weird semantics (__getattr__, __class__, etc.)

on the other hand, if __name__ == '__main__': is terrible (as is __len__). backwards compatibility be dammned :argh:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

deep square leg posted:

i think both are better than

if ruby
  print "using words for control blocks, haven't you heard of braces?"
end

ruby is a great language for writing your own unique snowflake version of it (c.f dsls, active support). writing code that plays nicely with others? pfft. libraries are overrated.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Friend of mine does backend work for the new Halo game and he's talking to me about all their scaling issues, when I come across this

http://www.erlang-factory.com/upload/presentations/395/ErlangandFirst-PersonShooters.pdf

And

http://www.erlang-factory.com/upload/presentations/518/Erlangfor.NETDevelopersv3.pdf

if someone tells me my specific bread and butter is poo poo I'm definitely interested in why.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only time you should see underscores in your code are between words in constants.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

i dont see how either of those c++ things supports multiple references at all

sooo it's just a shared_ptr then?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the only time you should see underscores in your code are between words in constants.

also between words in the names of functions and variables

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no. you should never do that.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

420 declare easy-to-comprehend verbose variables errday

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
camelCaseFTW

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

camelCase for method names

underscore_separated_words for variables and global functions

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tiny Bug Child posted:

BZZT

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

that's the sound of the correct coding standards and practices buzzer going off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my taint flag just got set

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tiny Bug Child posted:

code:
underscore               no underscore:

stream_get_line          readline
disk_free_space          diskfreespace
is_object                isset
mcal_day_of_week         jddayofweek
set_error_handler        setlocale
snmp_get_quick_print     snmpget
get_browser              getallheaders
base64_encode            urlencode
image_type_to_mime_type  imagetypes
msql_num_fields          mysql_numfields
php_uname                phpversion
strip_tags               stripslashes
bind_textdomain_codeset  bindtextdomain
cal_to_jd                gregoriantojd
str_rot13                strpos

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
object verb: base64_decode, iptcparse, str_shuffle, var_dump
verb object: create_function, recode_string

"to" or "2"?
ascii2ebcdic, bin2hex, deg2rad, ip2long, cal_to_jd (jdto*, *tojd), strtolower, strtotime,

pro tip: a real php experience has no naming conventions. those are for academic beardhavers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Coffee Jones posted:

Friend of mine does backend work for the new Halo game and he's talking to me about all their scaling issues, when I come across this

http://www.erlang-factory.com/upload/presentations/395/ErlangandFirst-PersonShooters.pdf

And

http://www.erlang-factory.com/upload/presentations/518/Erlangfor.NETDevelopersv3.pdf

if someone tells me my specific bread and butter is poo poo I'm definitely interested in why.

erlang is probably the best language for "scaling"

if your problem lines up with a dynamo ring distribution that's not necessarily for data storage riak_core is good since you can add processing capacity to your system by throwing more computers at it

if it's storage and you don't need relational use riak_kv it owns

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
subject.verb_or_verb_phrase object supremacy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gross and wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
thinking about coding something in Go because i haven't coded anything in like a month and don't have any original ideas so i might as well try a new language or something

someone give me a better idea so that i don't go through w this tia