Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

XyloJW posted:

My aunt posted about REALID and how Obama made it's mandatory for all Americans to have a new photo ID with facial recognition built in, by january 15, 2013. "And then they complain that voter ID laws are racist!" I pointed out that A) it was Bush's law, not Obama's, B) Democrats had lead the fight to repeal it, and C) it doesn't require everyone to have an id, it requires states to install facial recognition software at their ID centers, to stop illegal immigrants and terrorism suspects from obtaining ID's.

She demanded my sources, so I gave her a bunch of reputable links that explain it. So she responds with a bunch of links to infowars, conspiracy blogs, and then the entire 400 page Congressional minutes from the vote to pass the law.

She refused to believe my links so I said "Okay, so do you support this law or not?" "NO!" "So you agree with Obama that this law should be repealed?"

No response.

What do people like these do when January 15th rolls around and no one demands to see her ID card with built in facial recognition? I mean its four months away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Sarion posted:

What do people like these do when January 15th rolls around and no one demands to see her ID card with built in facial recognition? I mean its four months away.

Thank God the Republicans saved us!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sarion posted:

Change the date on the email.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sarion posted:

I can't speak for others, but in her case, she'll delete it and deny she ever thought that. She does it all the time on Facebook. She'll throw out some hateful ignorant, verifiably wrong thing, my mom or me or my brother will prove beyond a doubt that that's a lie, and so she'll delete the entire thread, and repost it and deny anything had ever been there before.

She also teaches the deaf/dumb/blind, like Hellen Keller, to communicate with the outside world. Ironic.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

30.5 Days posted:

Change the date on the email.

This one most likely. There's chain emails that are literally decades old and they just change the names and dates to be more modern. A lot of it is just flat out trolling and it works.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

I saw this gem on Facebook today:

It's so dumb I don't even know where to start.

Edit: I suck at image hosting

Mitchicon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 9, 2012

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mitchicon posted:

You can start in 1994.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mitchicon posted:

Edit: I suck at image hosting

Merging of corporations and government is basically EXACTLY what the GOP wants.

:wtc:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess it makes sense if you don't understand that "merge" and "together" are not the same thing.

It's really common in these emails to abuse language to make a point. It's mentally jarring to me when I see it but I guess that's not a universal reaction.

I can't remember the exact phrasing but someone once told me "paying your fair share in taxes" is self contradictory because taxes are forced but to 'share' is to give something freely.

It's jarring to me because the word 'share' switches meaning halfway through the thought.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess it makes sense if you don't understand that "merge" and "together" are not the same thing.

It's really common in these emails to abuse language to make a point. It's mentally jarring to me when I see it but I guess that's not a universal reaction.

I can't remember the exact phrasing but someone once told me "paying your fair share in taxes" is self contradictory because taxes are forced but to 'share' is to give something freely.

It's jarring to me because the word 'share' switches meaning halfway through the thought.

I'm gonna go buy some to give freely's of stock.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I got in a big argument with some dipshit on Facebook who was pissing and moaning that Labor Day should represent HIM, too, since he certainly labored to build his business!

I explained that he was conflating two different definitions of the word "labor", and that Labor Day was specifically about the labor class (i.e. non-capital owning).

Then he went into a sperglord derail about "moochers" and Ayn Rand and taxes being slavery and such so I got out of there right quick.

It still amazes me, though, that people can't seem to grasp the concept of, "the same word can have different meanings."

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

CarterUSM posted:

I got in a big argument with some dipshit on Facebook who was pissing and moaning that Labor Day should represent HIM, too, since he certainly labored to build his business!

I explained that he was conflating two different definitions of the word "labor", and that Labor Day was specifically about the labor class (i.e. non-capital owning).

Then he went into a sperglord derail about "moochers" and Ayn Rand and taxes being slavery and such so I got out of there right quick.

It still amazes me, though, that people can't seem to grasp the concept of, "the same word can have different meanings."

You should have added stuff about how labor, the class of people, is the capital and the owners and management like him are the real moochers who feed off of the labor (see what I did there?) of the workers and funnel all the value and profits into their own pockets, just leaving crumbs for the people who do the actual work to fight over. He'd probably stroke out from rage.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Also they spelled Mussolini wrong. That always bothers me with these things, put some goddamn effort into your point.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Gourd of Taste posted:

Also they spelled Mussolini wrong. That always bothers me with these things, put some goddamn effort into your point.

I'd imagine that if they actually used Google or Wikipedia to get the spelling right, they'd encounter exactly what Mussolini's brand of fascism was like and even unintentionally learn that their comparison is unfounded. At least the spelling being wrong indicates simple ignorance and maybe some stupidity, whereas correct spelling would increase the likelihood that the person is intentionally lying to insinuate that Bill Clinton is a fascist.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is anyone surprised? Everyone's heard that "Hitler was a good orator." After OB gives a god speech. Obviously Clinton iap bad. Therefore saying good thing about business means that *Google's extreme business government* that he's a fascist.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Mitchicon posted:

They're just being contrarian. Bill Clinton said it, so I must support the opposite!

CarterUSM posted:

Its a very common tactic. For example:

At the DNC they were using it in the sense of being part of the same group or organization. Like when someone says "I belong to such-and-such Church". They don't mean the Church owns them like property, they mean they're part of that Church. But here they've turned it around to suggest that the Democratic Party thinks the Government owns all citizens.

I also think this plays on the Conservative idea that the Government is a separate entity from the citizens. Its kind of an easy way to look at it, and at times we all use language that would suggest it, but its not really true. The government is just a bunch of citizens, carrying out the will of all citizens as voiced by our votes.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Governments are people, my friend.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Sarion posted:

They're just being contrarian. Bill Clinton said it, so I must support the opposite!

It's another case of conservatives and Republicans chastising their opposition for doing and saying the very things they do, but intentionally obfuscating this in their propaganda. The Bush Administration was one of the most corporatist governments in American history, everything from well-known cronyism like KBR and Halliburton to literal cocaine sex parties between employees of the Minerals Management Service and lobbyists for the fossil fuel industries and corporations that they were supposed to be regulating. Paul Ryan's budget effectively increased taxes on the elderly, the middle class, and poor Americans to pay for increased subsidies to certain industries, like Big Oil.

If anything, it's Republicans who embody the properties of fascism, including jingoistic nationalism, militarism, fetishization of religion, suppressing class conflict, corporatism, etc.

Sarion posted:

Its a very common tactic. For example:

At the DNC they were using it in the sense of being part of the same group or organization. Like when someone says "I belong to such-and-such Church". They don't mean the Church owns them like property, they mean they're part of that Church. But here they've turned it around to suggest that the Democratic Party thinks the Government owns all citizens.

I also think this plays on the Conservative idea that the Government is a separate entity from the citizens. Its kind of an easy way to look at it, and at times we all use language that would suggest it, but its not really true. The government is just a bunch of citizens, carrying out the will of all citizens as voiced by our votes.

Is it really any surprise anymore that the GOP and conservatives in general have absolutely no qualms about lying, especially in the manner of taking words out of their context so that they mean the opposite of they originally meant in context, e.g. Shirley Sherrod, Obama's "you didn't build that," Obamacare's "cuts" to Medicare, "death panels," etc.?

I mean, it outrages me that they do these things, but it just doesn't surprise me anymore. Frankly, I expect them to take anything and everything out of context to support their imaginary narrative, even if it means patently obvious, boldfaced lying in the direct face of evidence and admonitions to the contrary. poo poo, even Fox News had articles and video commentary about how the "We Built It" theme of their convention was fallacious and the numerous lies and inaccuracies in Paul Ryan's speech.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The context of the different meanings of "belong" serves to highlight the fundamental difference in the rhetoric the two sides are putting forth. The Democrats are using it in a collective sense, the Republicans are using it in a hierarchical sense since ownership denotes authority over something.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bruce Leroy posted:

The thing that gets me about all this voter ID bullshit is that it entirely focuses on in person voting. None of these conservatives who are oh so concerned about voter fraud (e.g. "one case is one too many!!!") ever talk about similar reforms for absentee voting when that's actually where almost all voter fraud takes place. Even more frustrating is that absentee voting tends to skew quite conservative/Republican while the voter who would be disenfranchised by voter ID laws are those who tend to vote Democratic and more liberal, like non-White minorities, the poor, etc. So, it's pretty obvious that the people pushing for voter ID laws are intentionally trying to suppress legitimate voting for the opposition while insulting real voter fraud that actually helps them.

A few weeks back moveon had a video in which a Republican politician was actually saying that the voter ID laws were going to help them win.

That's why they always get weird about college students registering in the state they go to school. Disenfranchise the opposition.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

A few weeks back moveon had a video in which a Republican politician was actually saying that the voter ID laws were going to help them win.

That's why they always get weird about college students registering in the state they go to school. Disenfranchise the opposition.

Do the states communicate back and forth on this type of registration? I mean, if you're registered to vote in Utah, but you go to school in Nevada and register there, is there anything stopping you from voting absentee in Utah and in person in Nevada? Voting twice that is?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Armyman25 posted:

Do the states communicate back and forth on this type of registration? I mean, if you're registered to vote in Utah, but you go to school in Nevada and register there, is there anything stopping you from voting absentee in Utah and in person in Nevada? Voting twice that is?

Other than if you're risking a federal offense to give your candidate one extra vote? Not sure.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Armyman25 posted:

Probably not, but you run the same risk with anyone moving.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I tell you what, guys, I love this time of year where every other post on Facebook is a gif of the Two Towers and NEVR 4GET flashing over it. Or the bald eagle crying over the towers. Or REMEMBER ALL WHO LOST THEIR LIVES REPOST IF YOU AGREE.

Hey fuckwads, you want to show some real support, buy a homeless vet a goddamn meal or five. But no, we REMEMBER OUR TROOPS GOD BLESS AMERICA OBUMMER GET OUT.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

CarterUSM posted:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

CarterUSM posted:

Try him on "liberal."

Or for that matter, "set" or "put."

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
:psyduck:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

You can read that "article" here btw. Though if you've ever read a site like unionfacts.com then you get the idea.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Jesus loving Christ.

We need to have a smiley with the phrase, "Burn it down; salt the earth." I would use that one probably 5-10 times per day.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

myron cope posted:

You can read that "article" here btw. Though if you've ever read a site like unionfacts.com then you get the idea.

Oh, awesome, thanks. There were so many hilarious things in that issue that I couldn't remember/capture.

The New America posted:

Black Pastors Rally Against Obama:
Owens accused Obama of taking the black voting bloc forgranted and ridiculed the idea that the effort to normalize homosexual behavior and legalize “gay marriage” was similar to the black civil rights movement of the 1960s. “We are really tired of the homosexual community hijacking the civil rights movement,” Owens said in mid-July as the NAACP endorsed same-sex “marriage.” “I did not choose to be black and you did not choose to be white — and homosexuals make a choice to be homosexual. Sowhy compare what we went through with your situation? It’s notthe same thing. There’s no comparison.”

Pelosi Insists That She Received Messages From the Dead:
“My chair was getting crowded in. And then I realized Susan B. Anthony,Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucretia Mott, Alice Paul, Sojourner Truth, youname it, they were all in that chair … and I could hear them say, ‘At lastwe have a seat at the table.’”
Speaking to a recent Women’s Political Committee event in the nation’s capital, former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) claimed the experience occurred while she was in the White House shortly after havingbeen named Speaker in 2009.

Diet do-gooders:
Thanks to the “lipid hypothesis,” McDonald’s once-delicious french freshcooked in beef tallow and palm oil are now the not-so-delicious version cooked in trans fats. Government regulation of our diets may follow: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg wants to ban super-size soft drinks in his city.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Stupid food Nazi's. Forcing McDonalds to cook using cheaper and worse for you oil. How healthy do you want me to be. :btroll:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
The "lipid hypothesis"? Is that like the "theory of evolution," I'm guessing?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I love the insinuation that the government had anything at all to do with McDonald's realizing they could use cheaper ingredients without a drop in demand and going for it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I thought mcdonalds stopped doing super size of their own volition because marketing trends were leaning towards healthier eating (not that knocking it down to a large really helps your diet) and supersize me kind of made it look bad? I haven't seen super size in like a decade. Are there other parts of the country it's available still?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I thought mcdonalds stopped doing super size of their own volition because marketing trends were leaning towards healthier eating (not that knocking it down to a large really helps your diet) and supersize me kind of made it look bad? I haven't seen super size in like a decade. Are there other parts of the country it's available still?

They stopped supervise voluntarily after the documentary Super Size me. I read they us supersise in some places now. But don't ask for it automatically.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be fair not like that poo poo wasn't pretty easy to counter with 'uh don't eat our food as literally your only food, you idiots?'

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I live in MS and they don't offer supersize anymore. I'm going to guess if it's true here, it's true everywhere.

I suppose it's always possible that that article in The New American did not properly research its claim that McDonalds isn't "delicious" anymore.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

The Macaroni posted:

The "lipid hypothesis"? Is that like the "theory of evolution," I'm guessing?

Eh. Kinda. The lipid hypothesis is fairly solid science, suggesting that there's a causal link between cholesterol and heart disease. It's only a "hypothesis" in the same way that evolution's a "theory"; it just hasn't been proven to be so, and considering that it's human biology, it probably never will. On the other hand, I'm powerfully tempted to pull an argumentum ad populum/auctoritas, and just say that 90% of the scientific community can't be wrong.

ETA: And also, they're wrong about the kind of fats McD's should be frying in. You want cis-polyunsaturated fats, not trans- fats.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

darthbob88 posted:

Eh. Kinda. The lipid hypothesis is fairly solid science, suggesting that there's a causal link between cholesterol and heart disease. It's only a "hypothesis" in the same way that evolution's a "theory"; it just hasn't been proven to be so, and considering that it's human biology, it probably never will. On the other hand, I'm powerfully tempted to pull an argumentum ad populum/auctoritas, and just say that 90% of the scientific community can't be wrong.

ETA: And also, they're wrong about the kind of fats McD's should be frying in. You want cis-polyunsaturated fats, not trans- fats.

I don't want to get super off topic but isn't the criticism of the lipid hypothesis a lot more grounded in science that the criticism of evolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

I think they just changed the way the meals were setup. It used to be you had the standard sized meal, and you could "supersize it". Now you order a meal, and you can choose: Small, Medium, or Large for the drink and fries. I'm pretty sure a Large meal is still the same as the old Supersize meal. And the ones around here (South Carolina) always ask "Would you like that large sized?"

edit: Google saves the day again. Old Supersize Fries were 7oz, current Large are only 5.4oz. So they are substantially smaller. And according to this article it looks like the phase out was nationwide starting back in 2004:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4433307/ns/business-us_business/t/mcdonalds-phasing-out-supersize-fries-drinks/#.UE4bo42PXng

Glitterbomber posted:

To be fair not like that poo poo wasn't pretty easy to counter with 'uh don't eat our food as literally your only food, you idiots?'

That was pretty much their exact response to the film, according to the article:

NBC Article posted:

The company has called the documentary “a super-sized distortion of the quality, choice and variety available at McDonald’s.” It says the film is not about McDonald’s but about Spurlock’s decision to act irresponsibly by eating 5,000 calories a day — “a gimmick to make a film.”

Sarion fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 10, 2012