Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah i guess i probably wouldnt ever be hiring for a perl guy, so much as a linux guy and someone w/ linux + perl experience would have a pretty big leg up on the competition we generally get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
never look at job postings unless you are looking at your company's so you can send them to friends you want to hire

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

one kind of lovely thing that i'm learning is that even though i work 40 hours a week at coding, i cant use ANY of it as future portfolio material, so in order to have the same quality in all my stuff i am basically going home and staring at perl for 4 MORE hours a day and trying to go "hmm how can i show ingenuity and brilliance in this backup script".
nothing you can do about it but bootstrap but it still annoys me
People value two distinct qualities

1) Can this person get stuff done
2) Can this person solve hard problems

Solving relatively simple stuff in an ingenious or minimalistic way won't get you much in the way of extra points if you can get it done in half the time in a poo poo way that will work over the program's lifecycle. It's an obvious thing to say but a hard truth most obsessive compulsive programmers won't acknowledge, merely because arbitrarily hard problems are fun to solve. Applying some constraints to the underlying task (eg can run 5x slower, or allowed to lock database tables, or can be run from cron every hour instead of being run in realtime, stuff like that) can often change the problem from very hard to something simple and boring that average programmers (as opposed to "awesome" programmers) can easily do. It's both an ego thing and an "I don't want to do boring stuff I want to do fun stuff" thing.

People who cannot truly do #2, and fail consistently at #1 because they turn simple things into hard things for the extra challenge are the worst. I may or may not be talking about myself.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

homercles posted:

People who cannot truly do #2, and fail consistently at #1 because they turn simple things into hard things for the extra challenge are the worst. I may or may not be talking about myself.

300_line_fizzbuzz.java

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

homercles posted:

at least you're aware of it and can hopefully recognize and control that impulse

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

gently caress you impulse engines we're going to warp 9 engage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

homercles posted:

these people always use toy languages.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why yes it would take me litterally 2 seconds to add the right lib off maven that does 99% of the work for me, but im going to spend a week trying to use druby on grails cause thats whats popular on reddit today.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Take that strawman!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Shaggar posted:

why yes it would take me litterally 2 seconds to add the right lib off maven that does 99% of the work for me, but im going to spend a week trying to use druby on grails cause thats whats popular on reddit today.

this is why perl owns

"I want to do X"

metacpan.org

Search for "X"

*10 results found*

cpanm Net::X::Simple

OH LOOK IT WORKS

the only thing i've found where i couldn't do something like this was Kayako which is poo poo anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
please dont use perl for new things.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Java code:
  private static <T extends Encodable & Decodable<? super T> & Comparable<? super T>> void diffMerge(
    T trafExisting, DataInputStream fhExisting,
    T trafUpdate, DataInputStream fhUpdate,
    DataInputStream fhDiff)
  {
      // simple stuff can be made hard in java
  } 

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yea you can overcomplicate stuff if you want i guess. idk why you'd do it though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah ive never really had any code samples to hand out either, and i've never asked for them in interviews. it's not like you're an artist. programmers generally understand that taking code from work and showing it to others is frowned on.

just be able to write code, be able to talk about what you wrote, and be good at both those things and you'll be ok.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
trufacts erry morning i open up cpan's recent and just check out what's up

usually it's gobs of boring poo poo but once in a while you'll get the bitcoin or reddit modules

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i honestly didn't know how bad interviews could go until i finally had a bad candidate

we're not a software shop primarily so you can get by on really, really lovely coding ability. but i had a guy who just looked like a deer in headlights when i said "ok, pretend we have a class for a stack, and I want you to write push() and pop()"

im at the point now where i'd take someone who could bullshit the high-level answer to that question without being able to code it on the spot

yeah seriously if you know anything about computer architecture send me a resume

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Shaggar posted:

please dont use perl for new things.

i'm more on the ops side than dev so i write new perl all the time and it's usually the best choice by far

the only thing i'm writing in perl that's shameful for being in perl is a web app but gently caress if i'm managing a java or .net system just for a web frontend to some simple data

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
bitcoin

buttcoin

rear end pennies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah thats the thing

if bossu asks me to write a little csv output web sight thingy, im doing it in perl. but for a new big proper project, i'm pushing hard for an erlang frontend

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

"ok, pretend we have a class for a stack, and I want you to write push() and pop()"

the correct answer is get up and leave because the boss that asks you to write your own stack is a boss you dont want to work for.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
3 lines

i got 3 lines into a shaggariffic response before i cut and run

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i kinda want to do embedded stuff that doesn't involve writing firmware for dishwashers or something gay like that, it seems fun

unfortunately the hardware guys tend to inflict some atmel poo poo on you or whatever even though $1.30 Cortex-M3s are a thing that exist

also verilog looks neat but i don't have an ee degree already so i might as well not even bother. even though 99% of it seems to be "power plane ground plane stick decopuling capacitors where the data sheet says like a big dumb baby" from my stupid outsider perspective.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah thats the thing

if bossu asks me to write a little csv output web sight thingy, im doing it in perl. but for a new big proper project, i'm pushing hard for an erlang frontend

only do erlang if it makes sense

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i remain unconvinced that erlang is anything but something that a bunch of beardo programmers thought up over Anchor Steams in order to get grant funding and get their PMs off their backs

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

i kinda want to do embedded stuff that doesn't involve writing firmware for dishwashers or something gay like that, it seems fun

unfortunately the hardware guys tend to inflict some atmel poo poo on you or whatever even though $1.30 Cortex-M3s are a thing that exist

also verilog looks neat but i don't have an ee degree already so i might as well not even bother. even though 99% of it seems to be "power plane ground plane stick decopuling capacitors where the data sheet says like a big dumb baby" from my stupid outsider perspective.

i hardly ever think about the goopy electronics parts. it's all 1's and 0's by the time i care

and when poking mmio space is the goal, C/asm/perl all look pretty much the same

i don't understand what it is about verilog that makes it seem so out of reach. you're describing a circuit, your 'compiler' is just building that circuit instead of building machine code. same poo poo.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i think he was conflating verilog (and probably vhdl as well) with the schematic view that many cad tools will also offer (sometimes with annotations for necessary analog components) without realizing it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
no i conceptually get how Verilog works just fine, i'm saying I don't have an EE degree so there's no way in hell I'll get to do this stuff for a living.

i mean ok i'd need a bit of practice before i was as productive as someone who actually did do this stuff for a living but i'm sure it's nothing a few months' worth of spare time with a cheapo xilinx devboard and an interesting hobby project won't fix

also i'd have the advantage that i can write C worth a crap unlike most of the embedded stuff i've seen. actually kinda surprised the aforementioned dishwashers don't spontaneously combust on a regular basis i guess misra static analysers are really cool or smth

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

JawnV6 posted:

yeah seriously if you know anything about computer architecture send me a resume

Eh, you mean like a semester or three with the Patterson and Hennessey books in college?

And for those of you who don't like logos changing- guess which decade THESE came out of :v:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Coffee Jones posted:

Eh, you mean like a semester or three with the Patterson and Hennessey books in college?

sure, i can work with that

if you recognize all this words: superscalar, caches, pipeline, mmio, temporal/spatial locality, risc/cisc, out-of-order, interrupts, flops, writeback/writethrough, etc. and can competently discuss them, i will take your resume and can probably get you an interview

basically you need that architecture background because we won't teach it, we'll just teach you the specifics of what we're implementing

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I love recruiters

Our Major CA based Client is looking for superior Java candidates from the NYC area to relocate for an amazing opportunity.

This is for Leading Software Development Company located in Northern California. :

This is a unique opportunity for those who have a true passion for Java engineering to contribute to the source code of a Major Investment Software house's applications. .
There are several roles at all levels from 2 to 25 years of experience. The key is true passion for technology within and among others with similar passion.
The Engineer would be responsible for the design and development of new software modules, enhancements to existing components, and maintenance of large-scale applications.
The job requires software design and architecture capability above and beyond the standards of the average programmer. This is truly a engineers role vs. a programmer. A true understanding of internals and overall development from start to finish is needed. Engineers must have experience with one or more of the following for large scale systems: high-volume, high-performance system, Real-time, Mission Critical systems development.

Skills & Requirements:

2- 20 years of development experience in Java.
Solid object-oriented analysis, design & development skills.
Strong analytical skills.
Ability to work well in a small team.
Experience with estimating development time frame.
Experience with relational databases.
Experience with software tools such as: Maven, Ant, Eclipse and SVN.
BS or higher in computer science or a related field, Top Math or Computer Engineering Schools are a plus.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

JawnV6 posted:

you're describing a circuit, your 'compiler' is just building that circuit instead of building machine code. same poo poo.

ive written a lot of words about using csp as a behavioural hdl / "compiling" occam into quasi delay insensitive circuitry and its fooled some important people so far but i think i should prob quit while im ahead tbh before someone catches on

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

sure, i can work with that

if you recognize all this words: superscalar, caches, pipeline, mmio, temporal/spatial locality, risc/cisc, out-of-order, interrupts, flops, writeback/writethrough, etc. and can competently discuss them, i will take your resume and can probably get you an interview

basically you need that architecture background because we won't teach it, we'll just teach you the specifics of what we're implementing

i know most of these things

also like seriously temporal/spatial locality? its pretty self descriptive, how could you not know it

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

gucci void main posted:

I love recruiters

Our Major CA based Client is looking for superior Java candidates from the NYC area to relocate for an amazing opportunity.

This is for Leading Software Development Company located in Northern California. :

This is a unique opportunity for those who have a true passion for Java engineering to contribute to the source code of a Major Investment Software house's applications. .
There are several roles at all levels from 2 to 25 years of experience. The key is true passion for technology within and among others with similar passion.
The Engineer would be responsible for the design and development of new software modules, enhancements to existing components, and maintenance of large-scale applications.
The job requires software design and architecture capability above and beyond the standards of the average programmer. This is truly a engineers role vs. a programmer. A true understanding of internals and overall development from start to finish is needed. Engineers must have experience with one or more of the following for large scale systems: high-volume, high-performance system, Real-time, Mission Critical systems development.

Skills & Requirements:

2- 20 years of development experience in Java.
Solid object-oriented analysis, design & development skills.
Strong analytical skills.
Ability to work well in a small team.
Experience with estimating development time frame.
Experience with relational databases.
Experience with software tools such as: Maven, Ant, Eclipse and SVN.
BS or higher in computer science or a related field, Top Math or Computer Engineering Schools are a plus.

20 years of java dev eh

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
*silence on phone*

Uhh... hm... tempura and spacious locality?

*keystrokes*

No... "Temporal and Spatial Locality" ... have you heard of them?

*keystrokes... silence*

Well... uh... Paging obviously benefits from locality of reference...

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

*silence on phone*

Uhh... hm... tempura and spacious locality?

*keystrokes*

No... "Temporal and Spatial Locality" ... have you heard of them?

*keystrokes... silence*

Well... uh... Paging obviously benefits from locality of reference...

how can you program on computers and not know these things

clearly this means i will be making lots of money in the future

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lol there are SW people who have no clue what we're even talking about because i moved "caches" away from those words in the list

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tomasulo's algorithm is hard :(

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Sweeper posted:

20 years of java dev eh

you would have had to have been on the jdk team, java was released to the public in 95.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i have 21 years of experience because my dad was on the jdk team and brought home a prototype in 1991. also a happy meal. it was a p. great day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

lol there are SW people who have no clue what we're even talking about because i moved "caches" away from those words in the list

Some people just don't listen in their OS and Architecture classes.