Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Same with Ben Howard and Sultan Basin. Go read pnwriders if you want some conspiracy/civil rights rants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Sagebrush posted:

Except for all the goddamn four-way stops every block. I'm really jealous of Europeans and their roundabouts :mad:

Our city is attempting to replace "problem" intersections with roundabouts. Basically they are installing them in areas where people like to speed or race in order to deter such activity.

Everyone hates the roundabouts primarily because no one knows how to use them properly. Despite numerous signs in the roundabout pointing that you can only go one way (anti-clockwise) we have many people attempting to go clockwise in order to make a left turn earlier. Furthermore, they're not big enough, really, for LTV's and they're single lane so people get caught in them.

When I encounter one on my motorcycle I usually enjoy doing a few circuits, much to the puzzlement of other drivers, until I feel ready to move on. Those things are awesome.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Almost every roundabout I've seen in the States (mostly in DC) has been some bastard design where you still have to come to a stop to enter the roundabout, which completely misses the point. The worst offenders have stoplights both to enter and just to go around the loving thing, making late night motorcycle circuits (when the bike won't trigger the lights) an completely unnecessary hassle.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

The hell kind of roundabout has traffic lights, that's just stupid and completely defies the point of them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Try this baby on for size:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=h%C3...,181.31,,0,8.71

It's got left turn lanes (!), bypasses, more lights than you can shake a stick at, it's one level below Swindon's Magic Roundabout in terms of sheer fuckery.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You should see the "diverging diamond" interchange we have here. It apparently has a lot of advantages, but its boggling to drive it before seeing an aerial view.

The first time I went through it was foggy, I was tired and I saw a line of oncoming headlights in what I thought was my lane.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

You should see the "diverging diamond" interchange we have here. It apparently has a lot of advantages, but its boggling to drive it before seeing an aerial view.

The first time I went through it was foggy, I was tired and I saw a line of oncoming headlights in what I thought was my lane.

At first glance I wondered what the problem is (it doesn't look any worse than, say, the A13-Blackwall Tunnel interchange before my brain kicked in and noticed the crossover. That's actually pretty clever though, but I'm sure it's a total mindfuck the first time you have to use it.

(Of course by doing that you miss out on the fun of the dumbbell interchange - this little beauty marks one end of my secret late-night high-speed proving ground)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Try this baby on for size:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=h%C3...,181.31,,0,8.71

It's got left turn lanes (!), bypasses, more lights than you can shake a stick at, it's one level below Swindon's Magic Roundabout in terms of sheer fuckery.

Apart from the traffic lights that's not too bad. The left turn lane is just for obviousness, since that's where you'd drive when going left anyway.

This one is properly retarded, having a traffic light that stops traffic exiting the roundabout.. http://goo.gl/maps/awhsV

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Collateral Damage posted:

This one is properly retarded, having a traffic light that stops traffic exiting the roundabout.. http://goo.gl/maps/awhsV

:psyduck:

Goddammit, traffic engineers. Pull yourself together.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

:psyduck:

Goddammit, traffic engineers. Pull yourself together.

I've seen something similar somewhere in London - I want to say Elephant and Castle but I'm sure that's wrong - with a pedestrian crossing actually hidden just around the corner of a building at the exit to a roundabout, which certainly tests your ability to brake mid-corner.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen something similar somewhere in London - I want to say Elephant and Castle but I'm sure that's wrong - with a pedestrian crossing actually hidden just around the corner of a building at the exit to a roundabout, which certainly tests your ability to brake mid-corner.

there are load of roundabouts here with pedestrian crossings a few metres from the entrances/exits. Can be hairy when you've shot onto the roundabout through a narrow gap and you have to hit the brakes because some rear end in a top hat has decided to step out without a cursory glance.
This one is a zebra crossing, pedestrians have right of way, there's enough room for a car but occasionally you'll be on the roundabout and a truck will stop suddenly with its trailer halfway back onto it.

This one at least has lights so they tend to wait for the green light before crossing.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Shimrod posted:

The hell kind of roundabout has traffic lights, that's just stupid and completely defies the point of them.

Nearly half of the ones I drove through in Scotland had lights. Drove me bonkers but they were also huge interchange roundabouts which also drove me bonkers on why they didn't just put a 4 way or T stop light in.

imadethis
Jul 14, 2012

fuck off polisie car

schreibs posted:

Nearly half of the ones I drove through in Scotland had lights. Drove me bonkers but they were also huge interchange roundabouts which also drove me bonkers on why they didn't just put a 4 way or T stop light in.

A large number of the ones in South Wales also have traffic lights it seems, especially when getting on / off the motorway. At least everyone there knows how to drive on them, unlike stateside.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A couple guys on a Concours forum I go to are shooting down another guys choice of tip-over protection partially because he chose something not made in :911:

Yes. On a Kawasaki Concours forum.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Other day someone I know crashed a 2004 R1 they bought only 2 weeks before. They said the driver in the car in front of them stopped really fast so they had to lay it down. Who the gently caress lays down their bike on purpose?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

Other day someone I know crashed a 2004 R1 they bought only 2 weeks before. They said the driver in the car in front of them stopped really fast so they had to lay it down. Who the gently caress lays down their bike on purpose?

Idiots. Though I'm surprised you've never heard of that before. C'mon, Layer Dan?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Idiots. Though I'm surprised you've never heard of that before. C'mon, Layer Dan?

I've heard of it, what I meant to say who lays their non-Harley motorcycle down on purpose.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

I've heard of it, what I meant to say who lays their non-Harley motorcycle down on purpose.

Dumb transcends two-wheeled preference I suppose.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
I've learned to translate "lay-'er-down" with "I'm a stupid loving moron who doesn't understand basic physics or basic motorcycling skills."

I heard someone at a dealership one day bragging to one of the showroom girls about how he had to "lay-'er-down" to stop from hitting the car in front of him. If you had enough room to slide it to a stop on chrome and plastic and metal then you definitely had enough room to bring it to a controlled stop on rubber using brakes that are more powerful than your engine.

I think some of them just consider it a badge of manliness.

Wulframn fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 8, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Claiming the tactic of "laying it down" is simply post-crash rationalization of the incident due to one's lack of skill.

"Oh, I was confronted with a situation and locked the rear and fell over. Err, I meant to do that!"

/oldnews

Edit: Jack, how is that girl you maimed?

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 8, 2012

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I lay my bike down every time I park it, coming into the parking spot. That's just how you're supposed to stop a Harley.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gullous posted:

Claiming the tactic of "laying it down" is simply post-crash rationalization of the incident due to one's lack of skill.

"Oh, I was confronted with a situation and locked the rear and fell over. Err, I meant to do that!"

/oldnews

Edit: Jack, how is that girl you maimed?

More importantly who crashes from locking the rear up? In my squidlier days locking the rear up was just a quicker and more spectacular way of moving pedestrians out of the way than the horn.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

goddamnedtwisto posted:

More importantly who crashes from locking the rear up? In my squidlier days locking the rear up was just a quicker and more spectacular way of moving pedestrians out of the way than the horn.

I always figured it was locking the rear while trying to steer out of the way, which turns into a low-side. Having never laid 'er down, I don't really know for sure.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Strife posted:

I lay my bike down every time I park it, coming into the parking spot. That's just how you're supposed to stop a Harley.

They should make a shirt with this on it.

"Harley, if it ain't slidin', you're doing it wrong"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Strife posted:

Sounds like the perfect way to treat a Harley anyway.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Flikken posted:

Sounds like the perfect way to treat a Harley anyway.

I thought the perfect way to treat a Harley was to keep it in the garage, progressively adding more and more chrome to it, ensuring that it's never, ever ridden. And then six years later it can be sold for the original sticker price plus the cost of all the chrome that's gone onto it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was gonna say, even I've locked the rear wheel up a few times on my little commuter bike. Today, even, for a pickup that slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting some dumbass who was texting while wandering across the road. Feels kind of funky with the rear end wiggling around like that, but it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would make you arbitrarily dump the bike. Maybe if you were in a tight turn, but not just going straight.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

I was gonna say, even I've locked the rear wheel up a few times on my little commuter bike. Today, even, for a pickup that slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting some dumbass who was texting while wandering across the road. Feels kind of funky with the rear end wiggling around like that, but it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would make you arbitrarily dump the bike. Maybe if you were in a tight turn, but not just going straight.

I hit a patch of oil in a gentle 20mph turn yesterday and the wheel spun and I panicked and I jammed the rear brake and grabbed the clutch, locking the rear. "Rear end wiggling" is OK, while leaned a tiny bit was not great, but I countersteered the front so at least the wheel that was rolling was pointing the right way. Doing that stood the bike right the hell up with a quickness and aimed me off the edge of the turn. The back end eventually wiggled its way behind the front wheel and I let off the brake and everything kinda came back together. I'm now going like 3mph, so I flat-steered through the rest of the turn and pulled over to see what happened. Terrifying, but it only took about 10-15 feet (judging by the skid mark).

I never felt like I was going to crash or fall or would need to deliberately high- or low-side or bail out or anything, it was just another incident that comes with operating a device that is statically unstable.

Getting philosophical for a moment, that's probably where the Layer Dan mentality comes from. If you put the bike in a statically stable position, it will not do anything unexpected, just like cars. If you jam on the brake then freeze up on a car, it will just skid (or shudder) and then you'll hit something. If you lay your chrome monster on the pavement at speed, it'll just skid and hit something. No more decisions to make. Even if the expected condition is sliding, sparking, at high speed, towards an immovable object while you yourself are doing the same thing, at least you don't have anything to DO at that point.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In fairness there are a couple of circumstances where "layin er down" are actually acceptable. If you're heading towards a genuinely immovable object and know you're going to hit it at speed, you're much better off hitting it feet-first than head-first so deliberately locking up and sliding on your arse into the object is preferable. I seriously doubt anybody actually has the reflexes and decision-making ability to consciously do that outside of, say, a race track.

I also know a guy who managed to slide under a jack-knifed articulated lorry, although he cheerfully admits it was pure luck on his part - he was going way too fast round a bend and there it was blocking the entire road, he just panic-braked and closed his eyes and only re-opened them when he slid gracefully into the ditch at the side of the road. Amazingly once he and the bike were extracted from said ditch the only things that needed replacing were a clip-on, the crankcase cover and the side fairing. Well, and his underwear.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fairness there are a couple is one circumstance where "layin er down" is acceptable

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

lol that was exactly the gif I was looking for, but "man laying horse down" took me to areas of the internet i didn't want to go to

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Problem is if you had time to think "oh poo poo I better lay this bike down" you probably had time to avoid wrecking in the first place.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I think a more likely situation where you have to layer dan is going wide through a corner and ending up off road on grass or dirt headed toward a tree or fence or something since you actually will stop faster compared to being on pavement. Just assume there is a video here of Valentino Rossi dumping his bike to avoid a tire wall at Phillip Island, it doesn't look like it's on youtube.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I suppose I'd rather layer dan than go over an overpass and fall 50ft like that guy in SF did a few years ago.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I think a more likely situation where you have to layer dan is going wide through a corner and ending up off road on grass or dirt headed toward a tree or fence or something since you actually will stop faster compared to being on pavement. Just assume there is a video here of Valentino Rossi dumping his bike to avoid a tire wall at Phillip Island, it doesn't look like it's on youtube.

Yeah, that was the thing I was alluding to when mentioning doing it on a track - I've also seen a drag racer with chute failure doing it too, although of course that wasn't a layer dan it was a "jump off and let the bike do its thing", given most of them can stand up without a side stand, and I suppose if your front brake just stopped working that would also count - can't remember who but I remember a 2-stroke era GP rider doing it after a particularly nasty tankslapper had pushed his pads back into the calipers - he jumped back up and frantically started pumping the brake lever, ignoring that the handlebar wasn't even attached to the bike any more.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol that was exactly the gif I was looking for, but "man laying horse down" took me to areas of the internet i didn't want to go to

I was hoping for a gif of that bit from Harley Davidson and Marlboro Man (snubbed by the Academy) where the dude opens gas cap, lays down the harley and lights the fuel trail as it slides into Daniel Baldwin and the other sprockets like villains.

No such luck. :smith:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
After railing at ym buddy and his fiance for going to the bar to drink riding double on his motorcycle wearing no safety gear whatsever with highways on the way home...

His fiance decided to tell me that she hasnt ever had a wreck and the only times her step dad ever wrecked was when he was sober because people hit him, and the only time she has ever had a friend Layer Dan it was on purpose because he was coming around a blind turn and a car had stopped so he laid it down to smash into the car and only recieved horrific scarring from tearing the skin off his entire left arm.

So there is no need at all to ever wear a helmet or armored clothing.

I dont even... gently caress it.

vvvvvvv It is the "Overheard stupid motorcycle poo poo" most stupid poo poo is people deciding on purpose to be dumb as gently caress

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 10, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Can we rename this thread to "complaining about what other riders do"? There must be a point where even CA goons get tired of reading the same "so and so didn't wear gear how crazy is that".

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
No, you see, a small subset of people they know only had crashes in a certain series of events. It logically follows that those are the only things that can happen to them. By removing variables, they are making it impossible for them to crash.

clutchpuck posted:

Can we rename this thread to "complaining about what other riders do"? There must be a point where even CA goons get tired of reading the same "so and so didn't wear gear how crazy is that".

There are only so many motorcycle related topics people can say stupid things about. Having said that, there's a huge difference between "Bob doesn't ride with full leathers," and "These morons get drunk and ride around because a couple people they know crashed and either weren't the cause or were sober."

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Yea, the alcohol thing is the key part there. And the "complaining about what other goons do" thread is that way buddy. :smug:

• Locked thread