Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I replaced my intake boot, which is what you're trying to remove there. I came in from the top with an 8mm deep wobble socket with some kind of extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
My E46 (2000 328i, Auto) is starting to have some starting issues.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it's just intermittent with no rhyme or reason (cold/warm starts, all times of the day, very random). Each time the problem happens, the dash lights turn on, and I don't hear any signs of cranking. If I try to start it again with the key in the ignition, it won't start, but when I take the key out, put it back in, it'll start up no problem. Dash lights seem fine and no lights flickering, so it's likely not the battery, but I'll test it via the OBC when I get a chance.

Some people have told me it's the starter (which is strange since I don't hear it even trying to crank), the battery, or the EWS. What should I do to diagnose this rather than throwing money at it? (i.e., buy a new battery and starter)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A few days my car was having trouble starting. There was no indication that the battery was having trouble, lights came up just fine, electronics were fine it just didn't want to turn over. Well, one indication that it kept forgetting what time it was. But it was the battery.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 10, 2012

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Found a tiny tiny tiny crack in the plastic part of my radiator in the e34. That would explain the need to top it off every couple of weeks.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
Talk me out of buying an E38.

Phelan
Dec 23, 2004

fack you posted:

I talked myself out of buying one figuring that an e36 would be more reliable. But I still want to buy one bad! Look at it, it looks amazing. You should buy one so that I can live my e38 dreams through you.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fack you posted:

Whenever I look at cars on Craigslist, I always look at the E38 ads to see if they have those wheels, but they never do. If I saw one cheap with those wheels I'd be tempted as well.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

fack you posted:

Easy. The E32 exists. Get one of those indead. :coal:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

fack you posted:

The most gangster BMW there is? No, buy it. With a V12.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

CornHolio posted:

Easy. The E32 exists. Get one of those indead. :coal:

I can't decide between an E32 and E38:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fack you posted:

I can't decide between an E32 and E38:

Love the two-tone gold.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
If I wanted to ruin myself financially with a 7 it'd have to be the E38, it's dead loving sexy.

If only I enjoyed troubleshooting electrics :negative:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Third Man posted:

If I wanted to ruin myself financially with a 7 it'd have to be the E38, it's dead loving sexy.

If only I enjoyed troubleshooting electrics :negative:

It's like BMW had the Russians build the v12 platform.

"Russkiye computer not so good, but no worries comrade we use two!"

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

fack you posted:

I imagine that'd be an awesome car for the mountain west you seem to live in, lots of wide open interstates.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
As much as I miss my E32, I really hated it. Blown bombs, cock-eyed front seat problem, electric gremlins galore. But drat, I loved it. It was my first BMW, and the first time I ever had a car with the kick-out thing when going WOT. What a thrill that was.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Can an E32 really be so bad compared to an E34? Isn't it about the same? Let's be honest here, an E34 is no picnic either, but I deal with it.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
It was for me anyways. After having the car for 3 months, the first repair I had to do involved removing the intake manifold due to that rear manifold plate thing that had a rubber seal that liked to give way and dump oil straight into the intake. Never owning a BMW, I of course immediately thought the worst for my engine when I saw smoke billowing out the exhaust. I only listed a few things, but I had every gremlin known to man for the E32. I had the 4.0 v8.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
I really just want to crouch down in the backseat with a nintendo ds and attempt to drive the E38 like James Bond.

I'm guessing a car that was once ~$75k+ is probably going to cost a bit to maintain, but could it be that bad? I'm getting conflicted stories on the internet. I mean, if I was really super concerned about it I should be buying a Honda or something, but I own an E30 and a 2002, so I kinda know what to expect with an older BMW. Any E38 owners want to tell me your horror stories?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
An rear end in a top hat has decided to run into and proceed to break the driver's door mirror on my e46 330Ci.

The stud broke from the inside, so the mirror is loose and pulled away from the door on the front side. Additionally, there is a small vertical blemish on each side of the door/fender. All in all, for getting hit, it's not that bad. But they didn't leave a note or anything.

I've been looking at Pelican and a couple other sites, and it looks like I can get a mirror for a couple hundred bucks. The other option would be to go with something aftermarket. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also how do you guys feel about putting M3 mirrors on...rice?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
If you're up for rattle canning the mirror, try RockAuto. Not sure what year your 330Ci is, but I see a driver's side mirror on there (unpainted) for $126.79. It's power/heated but no memory.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Also how do you guys feel about putting M3 mirrors on...rice?

Hey, since you have to replace a mirror anyways, why not look at M3 mirrors?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
M3 mirrors ok, everything else not ok.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just keep in mind they're actually pretty awful as rearview mirrors, at least on the e36. I found them tiny on all the m3s I test drove.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 11, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Bank posted:

If you're up for rattle canning the mirror, try RockAuto. Not sure what year your 330Ci is, but I see a driver's side mirror on there (unpainted) for $126.79. It's power/heated but no memory.
Yeah, no matter what I get (unless I find some used one somewhere) it's going to need paint. I have a hook up for paint so that's no worry. I'll take a look at the Rock Auto ones, thanks.

Dantu posted:

Hey, since you have to replace a mirror anyways, why not look at M3 mirrors?

revmoo posted:

M3 mirrors ok, everything else not ok.
I will probably go this route then. I usually look over my shoulder instead of using my mirror out of habit, had a blind spot accident shortly after I started driving, so their size isn't that big of a deal to me.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Look up how to properly align your mirrors. Objects should pretty much only show up in one mirror at a time and seamlessly move from one to the next. If you can see your own car in your wing mirrors then they're configured wrong.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

fack you posted:

I really just want to crouch down in the backseat with a nintendo ds and attempt to drive the E38 like James Bond.

I'm guessing a car that was once ~$75k+ is probably going to cost a bit to maintain, but could it be that bad? I'm getting conflicted stories on the internet. I mean, if I was really super concerned about it I should be buying a Honda or something, but I own an E30 and a 2002, so I kinda know what to expect with an older BMW. Any E38 owners want to tell me your horror stories?

Well, it used to be quite awful and still is. But now that the platform is well over 15 years old, most, if not all of the problems have documentation.

Avoiding the V12 will solve most of the financial ruin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

revmoo posted:

Look up how to properly align your mirrors. Objects should pretty much only show up in one mirror at a time and seamlessly move from one to the next. If you can see your own car in your wing mirrors then they're configured wrong.

I don't get why people don't understand this. There are no blindspots if you set your mirrors up correctly. Technically I have a blind spot because BMW put such tiny loving mirrors on my 328i, but it's two lanes over and 40 feet back so it doesn't really matter.

Also, speaking of mirrors, anyone else have the problem where the rear view mirror slowly droops down? I'll set it up so it's fine, then about a month or two later, it's pointing down to where the bottom eighth of it is looking at my back seats. Is there any way to tighten it?

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well, it used to be quite awful and still is. But now that the platform is well over 15 years old, most, if not all of the problems have documentation.

Avoiding the V12 will solve most of the financial ruin.

I'm content with just mild financial ruin. I'll restrict my search to the V8.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

fack you posted:

I'm content with just mild financial ruin. I'll restrict my search to the V8.

The E38 740iL with sport package is a drat fine car. Personally, the rear seat is almost more comfortable than my couch at home. But usually the iL has more issues than the regular wheel based version, just because there is more standard equipment. I also think the shorter one has a 3.15 diff vs 2.91 for the long wheel base.

But to each his own. Sure the V12 is awesome, but 2 DME's? What the hell? Oh and if I recall correctly.. 2 batteries as well!

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 11, 2012

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The E38 740iL with sport package is a drat fine car. Personally, the rear seat is almost more comfortable than my couch at home. But usually the iL has more issues than the regular wheel based version, just because there is more standard equipment. I also think the shorter one has a 3.15 diff vs 2.91 for the long wheel base.

But to each his own. Sure the V12 is awesome, but 2 DME's? What the hell? Oh and if I recall correctly.. 2 batteries as well!

I'm specifically looking at this one http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/13283483 (if our local classifieds website can pull it together and it loads) which is the regular wheel based version. Being from a dealership, the guy couldn't tell me much about it other than the previous owner took great care with it of course.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Is this a bad idea, or the worst idea?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/3255966418.html

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yes, two batteries. Each cylinder bank is managed entirely separately. You basically have two complete straight 6s connected to the same crank.

Also the cat pre-heaters.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Those wheels are a travesty.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
^^^^^The wheels can be forgiven and replaced with stock ones quite easily.

I will always regret passing on the 635 my co-worker now owns...
(click for original size)

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 11, 2012

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

^^^^^The wheels can be forgiven and replaced with stock ones quite easily.

I will always regret passing on the 635 my co-worker now owns...
(click for original size)

Other than the gaudy-as-hell front plate, that car is perfection.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

"Rust free! NO RUST!"

e: He's right about it being a lot of car - it's great if you spend a lot of time on the highway, but it is not so great for commuting ("duh", right?). Depends on what you're looking for.

televiper fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 11, 2012

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Somehow I missed the second gallery. I love "no rust" ads because apparently that's a sliding scale.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

TacoHavoc posted:

Somehow I missed the second gallery. I love "no rust" ads because apparently that's a sliding scale.

I've seen so many loving rusty e36 m3s this summer that I clarify EVERY time I respond to an ad. Especially in nova scotia (or probably NE Canada/USA in general) no rust tends to be used to say "no holes through the frame".

Of course I've had some assholes say "no rust, not even paint bubbling" and when i pulled up I could see the surface rust without getting out. With these guys I'll take their car for a long drive, ask tons of questions, and then right before I leave I say "only interested in non-rusty cars". If they're going to lie and make me waste my time, I sure as hell don't feel bad wasting theirs.

Mr.Hodes
Nov 30, 2010
Picked up an e90 330xi earlier this year. Put 20k on it since February, thought I would post up a few pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Welcome to the ugliest E90 club. :respek: