Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

gradenko_2000 posted:

I should probably join Ominous Latin Phrase soon so I can ask these questions in-game.

I wouldn't count on it. There is rarely anyone on anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do Warriors get anything to help with runners? I went to Castle Mistmoore after hitting level 21 (23 now after logging off) and some of the mobs are starting to run at low health.

It hasn't quite gotten me killed yet, but I have been forced to zone a couple of times when the tank merc runs after them, pulls extras, then ends up fleeing from all the extra mobs.

Also, how do you use augments? I think I've picked up a couple of Defiant gems so far. I should probably join Ominous Latin Phrase soon so I can ask these questions in-game.

Warriors have bash don't they? That should stun them. Dealing with runners is a constant theme of EQ.

For augments, you gotta find a distiller. There's one in PoK, and one in the guild hall. It looks like a bird bath.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wavecrasher and Anklesmasher both have snare and are warrior usable I believe. You might want to look into those once you are in the right level range.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Warriors have bash don't they? That should stun them. Dealing with runners is a constant theme of EQ.

For augments, you gotta find a distiller. There's one in PoK, and one in the guild hall. It looks like a bird bath.

They actually changed the way augments work in the patch yesterday. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly you can add/remove/swap augs right in the item description window.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Keith Stone posted:

I wouldn't count on it. There is rarely anyone on anymore.

I agree, it's gotten pretty slow for Ominous Latin Words currently. Personally, my free time to play has been pretty limited the last couple months, and even when I am on I tend to be on my main and missing anything going on in Ominous since I barely tab to Puga during combat.

For what it's worth I've tried to promote anyone who's been online to a point where they can do invites and such. When I get a chance I'm going to promote the regular crowd as high as I can so they can modify ranks and anything else they need/want to in the guild.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Goldmund posted:

They actually changed the way augments work in the patch yesterday. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly you can add/remove/swap augs right in the item description window.

You don't need to use the birdbaths anymore, but removing the normal augs still requires you to have the right distiller in your inventory.

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.
I haven't played eq for close to 6 years but thanks to two free gold accounts on Test, and the new UI I have been having a grand old time. I am low level and broke but if you need some help or want to run some lower level things look me up as Shieldguy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Regarding the transfer of stuff to Test with it being flagged as copied and not No Drop, you can do armor combines and it works without issue. I made a T1 VoA BP for my SK and it went off without a hitch. The template and the Rustic piece were both copied, the box and agent were not.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
On the server as a Monk named Slappyhands. Still in the tutorial zone though for a bit.

larrydigital
Feb 21, 2004

Say Queensbridge.
Posting this here because SOE forums aren't helping...

Replaced a fried motherboard and reinstalled EQ but after the character select page, I crash to desk. I went through my .ini files and changed my custom UIs to defaults, as SOE suggests, but I still keep crashing.

Not sure what else I can do at this point, anyone else have this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Does it crash for other games?

Better safe than sorry pain in the rear end solution:

If not, completely uninstall eq and any leftovers and re-install it.

Every game? Check for updated drivers.

Then

Re-install windows. I used to be a lot better at troubleshooting this kind of thing but I just say "gently caress it" a lot more now and do this.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
When I copied my EQ folder to a different PC I had to delete all the INI files before it would start. In my case I couldn't even get to character select before it crashed, so slightly different problem, but maybe same solution?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any suggestions where to level as a 55 SK on a regular server ? Been doing white/yellow mobs in Veksar and they are giving about 3% exp per kill.

Not got any AAs yet - is it worth waiting till 60 to start on them, or just grab the defensive/offensive AAs as soon as possible ?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Baconroll posted:

Any suggestions where to level as a 55 SK on a regular server ? Been doing white/yellow mobs in Veksar and they are giving about 3% exp per kill.

Not got any AAs yet - is it worth waiting till 60 to start on them, or just grab the defensive/offensive AAs as soon as possible ?

Go to the Hole, it's what everyone is going to tell you anyway. Dunno if you can do the bottom at 55 but that's gravy exp and really easy. Nice cash too.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Take one fleeting look at the rising sun and then descend into the hole for weeks.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
The next EQ expansion has been announced.

http://www.everquest.com/news/article?month=092012&id=524357&tab=0

20 Expansions and they finally introduce offline selling!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cycomatix posted:

Level 100, meh.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

cycomatix posted:

The aggro thing sounds awesome. Overdue? Not going to add subscribers? yes. But still.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
As a rogue, better aggro management would be great for my group.

I think EQ is past the point where they're ever really going to be able to grab new subscribers, apart from a long time or returning player finally getting a friend to join them. It will be really nice to see more useful features added in this expansion that affects all users though besides those already riding at the top.

Looking forward to the posts on the eq forums about how offline selling will be horrible because people that have several trader bot accounts will have to compete with people selling items.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I just want to get to level 100 so I can finally double the initial level cap after all these years. Doesn't the sperg gene start to tingle at the thought of being 95 forever, 5 years short of such a beautiful number like 100?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The main problem with offline selling is that there's just so few items worth selling. It's just droppables that have been around for 10+ years, T1 items from the past two/three expansions, latest expansion rk2 spells, cultural armor and TS crap to make that armor or skill up on.

I rode a few plat trains in HoT and Voa, and if it wasn't for buying GCs with plat, the most I'd be able to do with 5mpp is spam remove augs while bored. With the removal of subs and expansions from the marketplace, that leaves me with buying SC for illusions and bags. Still better than literally nothing, but also not very exciting.

Overall the expansion sounds like a middle of the road EQ expansion, standard numbers on everything, plus one or two nice quality of life upgrades. Nothing that really excites or disappoints me from the 2 paragraphs of info so far.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm happy to finally see offline selling, that has been a huge lack in EQ for ages. Don't forget tradeskill ingredients and low/mid-level gear. I just hope they match the system with the slow pace of EQ so to speak, and allow an auction to run for maybe 7 or 10 days, or people will tire of having to re-list stuff every two days.

Level 100... almost sounds comical. I bet they had to wade through their code and take care of every little place that expected the player level to never exceed two characters. :cawg:

I'll definitely give the expansion a shot, should coincide with when my EQ cravings return soon. :)

larrydigital
Feb 21, 2004

Say Queensbridge.

jetz0r posted:

The main problem with offline selling is that there's just so few items worth selling.

This.

Offline trading is a nice addition but hardly a game changer at this point. I've been sitting on 3 million for almost 2 years now. I'm maxed out in all trades, with no real alts to speak of. My guild provides me with spells and gear, who needs plat?

Still, I'll check out the expansion. I'm just hoping I can figure out this constant crashing problem I'm having so I can fire up my bard and be back on Erollisi Marr relatively soon. I'd like to stockpile a few AAs before the launch.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I played from right before Kunark was released until LDON or Gates of Discord. I was on my servers first Veeshan's raid, first Sleepers raid and progressed pretty deep into the PoP expansion before I gave up serious raiding. I was wondering, with all the new expansions and seeing how much time has gone by, if people had done anything about the Sleeper? Back in my day, he didn't drop anything, and when one guild almost killed it the GM's despawned it. I believe the GM's said the guild used a wall glitch to accomplish it.

Has the Sleeper been slain?

edit: gently caress that key quest too. God drat.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 10, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

larrydigital posted:

This.

Offline trading is a nice addition but hardly a game changer at this point. I've been sitting on 3 million for almost 2 years now. I'm maxed out in all trades, with no real alts to speak of. My guild provides me with spells and gear, who needs plat?

New players! When I returned a couple of years ago, it was very frustrating having to go through the trouble of having a bazaar mule running for days in order to sell stuff. Buying and blowing lots of plat is easy, but selling was very tough, so I pretty much had to make do with the raw plat and vendor junk I found.

Having an offline, central "AH" would also help equalize the prices people list stuff for. It's not uncommon to see the same item for prices that span 1000%, because people just have them sitting on your mule for years without checking the competition (which may or may not be online at the time of checking).

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Yes. This link points to the archive of the announcement on the Everquest forums, with pictures.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040203080715/http://eqlive.station.sony.com/news_section/newsview.jsp?story=59558

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Waroduce posted:

edit: gently caress that key quest too. God drat.

In addition to the actual Kerafyrm kill on Rallos Zek, Kerafyrm the Awakened was the end boss encounter for the Secrets of Fadwyer expansion. And that event is the final one in the current Dragons, Dragons, Dragons! quest where you group/raid kills the major dragons throughout EQ's history.

Dragons3 is a really fun quest that gives out a nice charm aug and normal aug. And Shm can get a tear for their epic 1.0 from PoFear during the dracolich kill.

si
Apr 26, 2004
So far it's been pretty fun to come back and dick around. Joined up with Ominous and must say the people I've talked to so far are pretty chill. It's slightly annoying how hard they push the gold stuff. I wish they would tone it back a bit more, but I suppose I can't blame them.

Right now I'm looking into the feasibility of dual boxing with a completely vanilla free account as a secondary just to add DPS. It's not looking too great. I'm feel like you at least need to go silver for mercenaries that aren't hilariously worthless and get your extra inventory slots.

Tips welcome -- the main reason I'm looking into 2 boxing is that I'm playing my old bard (my old main was an enchanter, which isn't seeming like a terrible viable solo char). Haven't had any issues solo tanking and such with a healer merc, but killing is pretty impressively slow.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Every time a new expansion gets announced i go nuts scouring the forums to see if the mods have paid any attention at all to the prospect of making a new PvP progression server, and every time i close my browser with tears in my eyes

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
I agree that the game doesn't have enough items to sell since practically everything in it is no-trade, but it really is a pain in the butt to get money to outfit yourself and your running group or boxed accounts if you don't already have the plat.

Playing on Firiona Vie though makes me wonder why so many of the items in the game are no-trade. Is it really a big deal for players to be trading around augments from 5 or 6 expansions back? Is it really going to upset the balance of power to trade my old defiant gear? I'm definitely interested in seeing what happens to the economy of this server when offline selling does show up.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I want to resub,i just know it wouldn't be the same. I remember making my first 100 plat farming crushbone orc belts.I'd sell backpacks to lower level chars or people looking to twink.

I have a burning desire to punch ambassador D'vinn in the dick.

Thanks for that sleepers link

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I want to resub,i just know it wouldn't be the same. I remember making my first 100 plat farming crushbone orc belts.I'd sell backpacks to lower level chars or people looking to twink.

There is everquest 1999. It is very difficult especially grinding out levels. From what I know there is still only a fraction on there then on EQ servers back in the day but there is enough to cause issues with raid rotations and overcamping.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do any of you wealthy goons have some plat they can /testcopy over? I'm leveling a 3 box team, and it's hard to keep up with the spell costs. I would appreciate anything, thanks! (I'm Cheney in game)

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Waroduce posted:

I used to camp The Great Oowomp in Timorous Deep for the +4 INT earring he dropped. I thought I was rich when I would sell these in the EC tunnel for 400pp. Then I blew my wad (4500pp) on a Blackened Crystalline Robe.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

RCarr posted:

Do any of you wealthy goons have some plat they can /testcopy over? I'm leveling a 3 box team, and it's hard to keep up with the spell costs. I would appreciate anything, thanks! (I'm Cheney in game)

You'll probably have to remind me to log in once the copy goes over, but I test copied with a million plat and some other stuff.

Edit: Can't send plat to offline people. So sent you the most expensive per a stack items I could find in pok, plus a bunch of unexpanded bags and the al-kabors solutions to expand them. Plus a Manastone and every other tradable clickie, because why not?

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 11, 2012

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

I Love You! posted:

Every time a new expansion gets announced i go nuts scouring the forums to see if the mods have paid any attention at all to the prospect of making a new PvP progression server, and every time i close my browser with tears in my eyes

I can't imagine there'd be enough interest to have a viable population. Back then people stomached the hilarious awfulness because there was nothing else, at least other than UO. What was the first good pvp alternative, DAoC? Now people have Guild Wars 2 and other triple-A options.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

jetz0r posted:

You'll probably have to remind me to log in once the copy goes over, but I test copied with a million plat and some other stuff.

Edit: Can't send plat to offline people. So sent you the most expensive per a stack items I could find in pok, plus a bunch of unexpanded bags and the al-kabors solutions to expand them. Plus a Manastone and every other tradable clickie, because why not?

Holy poo poo, thank you! I can't wait to log in after work and check out my goodies!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hah, just logged onto Test for fun. I saw a level 2 Ogre Warrior on there, and at first thought, "WTF, have I been hacked?". Then it slowly dawned on me that it must have been a char I had made ages ago. I logged in and checked the /played:

[Tue Sep 11 21:13:57 2012] Hjernesmadrer's birthdate: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 18:31:41.
[Tue Sep 11 21:13:57 2012] Total time playing Hjernesmadrer: 1 hour and 10 minutes

11 years old. So, anyone worried about Test being wiped, no worries there.

HolyCarp
Jan 21, 2004
Glub.

Pilsner posted:

Hah, just logged onto Test for fun. I saw a level 2 Ogre Warrior on there, and at first thought, "WTF, have I been hacked?". Then it slowly dawned on me that it must have been a char I had made ages ago. I logged in and checked the /played:

[Tue Sep 11 21:13:57 2012] Hjernesmadrer's birthdate: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 18:31:41.
[Tue Sep 11 21:13:57 2012] Total time playing Hjernesmadrer: 1 hour and 10 minutes

11 years old. So, anyone worried about Test being wiped, no worries there.

That is always good to hear.

Did goons ever make a guild over on test? I was thinking of copying over there to play, but it is way more fun to play on a server when you can chat with other people that aren't pubby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I play on test, my character I usually chat with in goonchat is Farson. My "main" however is a bard named Farrokh (speaking of, does anyone happen to have a gnome mask they can copy over for me?). If you need anything on test in game mail me or /tell if I'm on.

While I'm posting I've been meaning to ask about tanks. I typically use a j5 tank and healer with bard/shaman/mage and lately I've been leveling a warrior and cleric (both 80 so far with 100/300 aa) so I can do instanced stuff where mercs aren't allowed, now I'm wondering if an sk would be better than the warrior?

Also since I have 6 accounts what would be a better choice for #6, a wizard or enchanter?