Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah because I made it bold and a focal point of the post.

The question you should be asking yourself is if I meant Original Post, or Original Poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Speaking of OP (post), yeah, you should move that channel prompt up. Also, get some new links for the bottom (Only the Wiki and Video work)and add my pictures.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

and someone tell CO to create a business suit costume set.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

coconono posted:

and someone tell CO to create a business suit costume set.

You can already make like 4 dozen variations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. Hell, there's a formal wear costume set too if the basic options aren't enough. Suits are well-covered.

Also I moved the channel info to the top of the OP, since it makes sense. If there's anything else that needs to be in there, make a post or toss me a PM. I haven't played ChampO much, thanks to GW2 and exploiting the economy in STO, but I'm still subscribed and trying to keep it up to date. :unsmith:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I was thinking of giving this another shot, given that CoX is kicking the bucket. Of course, when I realized my PWE account wasn't linked to my Cryptic account, I tried doing so only to be told it was already linked to a different account.

Welp. Guess I'll be seeing you all whenever my support ticket goes through. Hope the 3 month gold discount isn't ended by then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think they automatically merged all accounts at some point.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I think they automatically merged all accounts at some point.

Apparently not, since my Cryptic account isn't associated with any PWE accounts (and even if it was they don't give you any way to check what account it's linked with).

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Miijhal posted:

Apparently not, since my Cryptic account isn't associated with any PWE accounts (and even if it was they don't give you any way to check what account it's linked with).

I had the same issue and got a reply from support fairly quick. I'll just paste the what they told me to do to link my accounts:

quote:

In order to link your existing accounts, please follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the Champions Online website (http://co.perfectworld.com/)
2. Click on "Register/Login" in the upper right corner of the screen
3. Click on "Are you a Cryptic user?" above the User Name and Password fields
4. You'll be directed to a different login page. Highlight the "Cryptic" radio button
5. Enter your Cryptic User Name (kyborg) and password
6. When asked if you have an existing Perfect World account you'd like to link, click "Yes" and enter your PWE User Name (dongfeud) and Password. This will allow you to link the two accounts.

Once the accounts are linked, you'll want to use your Perfect World user name and password to log in.

Just did all this and it seems to be working fine.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Krowley posted:

I had the same issue and got a reply from support fairly quick. I'll just paste the what they told me to do to link my accounts:

Just did all this and it seems to be working fine.

quote:

The account you are trying to link is already linked to a different account. If you feel you are receiving this in error, please contact customer service.

So unfortunately I'm pretty much hosed.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So are the Nemesis Alert bosses not immune to knockback for a reason(balance or technical)? Or did someone just forget to turn it on for them?

Because, wow, it's really obnoxious to not be able to use Roomsweeper and build up my damage buffs. It makes fighting them, and keeping aggro, really difficult.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

So are the Nemesis Alert bosses not immune to knockback for a reason(balance or technical)? Or did someone just forget to turn it on for them?

Because, wow, it's really obnoxious to not be able to use Roomsweeper and build up my damage buffs. It makes fighting them, and keeping aggro, really difficult.

Yet another pro for Havoc Stomp!

You can knock them in your solo missions so they just left that in, I guess.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 10, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Looks like the problem was because I used my PWE account for STO. That's all fixed now.

Now to actually hop on.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Though its a bit of effort, you can position them so they fly into the box doodad in the middle of the map and get blocked by it, so you can rapidly build up immunity to knocking.

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
Are the 60 day time cards from still redeemable?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maxwellsdemon posted:

Are the 60 day time cards from still redeemable?

Yep.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just be warned that if you have one of the special subscription promotions (3/6 months discounted) you'll need to cancel it to use the timecard.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Whoops! Wrong thread! Nothing to see here. Move along...

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
I haven't logged in today to ask my next stupid question, so I'll ask it here. Does CO have costume auras like CoH does? If they do, where do I find them? It hasn't been obvious, but then I'm kind of looking for a big aura tab to jump out at me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Not... quite. There's generally no big particle effect things, although a lot of the toggle powers add similar when in use, and I think a few items have visual effects too. But there's a lot of costume pieces that you can give a neon-like glow too; if the color button has a white outline, you can adjust the brightness of the color from "no glow" to "eye searing". A quick one to check if you don't know what I'm talking about are eyes, they all have this option.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

00Kevin posted:

I haven't logged in today to ask my next stupid question, so I'll ask it here. Does CO have costume auras like CoH does? If they do, where do I find them? It hasn't been obvious, but then I'm kind of looking for a big aura tab to jump out at me.

Not as a dedicated slot yet, but very soon. The slot for them has actually been on several Test Server builds, but the items haven't been available.

There's a few auras in the game now, but most of them are expensive and/or not available anymore.

Edit: Also stuff is happening soon:

quote:

Starting next week, players can enjoy rewards such as legacy gear and vanity pets as well as an upcoming concert starring Sapphire. Don't get too complacent with the festivities, however, as rampaging robots will be trying to crash the party. These machines are part of Dr. Destroyer's army from 1992 and are building up to a full-on invasion of Millennium City later this month.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 11, 2012

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
So, just out of boredom I was playing around with that powerhouse website, and I made this. It's the doomguy, as a champions character. I'm tempted to see if I could make a costume to go with it, but then I'd be tempted to buy another freeform slot to play it.

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=5n=&d=1587V578N3P43C08000860H88008D05Q8038B058900IB008F017403QG03IH017V01AI030tmY0mqF0ca1

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Tempest
Level 6: Indomitable
Level 9: Tireless
Level 12: Energetic
Level 15: Ascetic
Level 18: Enduring
Level 21: Quick Recovery

Powers:
Level 1: Gunslinger
Level 1: Shotgun Blast (Rank 2, Nailed to the Ground)
Level 6: Concentration
Level 8: Gatling Gun (Rank 2, Listen to Reason)
Level 11: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Rocket (Rank 2, Concussive Rocket)
Level 17: Killer Instinct
Level 20: Retaliation
Level 23: Lock N Load (Rank 2)
Level 26: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Aggressor (Rank 2)
Level 35: Implosion Engine (Rank 2)
Level 38: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Rocket Jump

Specializations:
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Aggression (2/2)
Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
Avenger: Round 'em Up (1/3)
Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
Avenger: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

That actually doesn't seem like a bad soloing/survivability build. The only thing I'd do is remove some of the advantages on minigun, rocket, and shotgun in favor for more damage. That, and replacing recovery with dex or int.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
The advantage on shotgun is mostly cause that's the only power it has that can get the advantage to kill travel powers. But that's probably more of a pvp thing anyway. And I'll be absolutely honest, the one on gatling gun is solely cause I like the name of it. The one on rocket meanwhile is for flavor, cause rockets in Doom did knock people around if I remember rightly. As for super stats, I'm still pretty new back to the game after only playing a few months right after launch, so I'm still a bit fuzzy on what's good and what isn't.

Also, a slightly more serious question regarding a character I actually play. Currently she has ego reverberation from telekinesis which gives energy whenever she gets a stack of ego leech. But she's built for all the crits ever, so would retconning to get the munitions one that gives energy on crit be a better idea? Or should I just save my resources?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

General Maximus posted:

Also, a slightly more serious question regarding a character I actually play. Currently she has ego reverberation from telekinesis which gives energy whenever she gets a stack of ego leech. But she's built for all the crits ever, so would retconning to get the munitions one that gives energy on crit be a better idea? Or should I just save my resources?

The bad thing about Killer Instinct is that it only applies to munitions attacks landing criticals. Hit with a critical bullet from your gun and you'll get energy back from it, but landing a critical with your psionic blade will do nothing.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Huh. Well, so much for that idea then. I thought it was all criticals.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Any reccomendations for a pet-centric build? I've been messing around with trying to just get all sorts of weird magical summons and letting my pets mostly deal with enemies while I do some light damage from afar but I feel like there's probably some really useful make-pets-awesome-type powers I should be taking that I'm not aware of. And maybe some pets that suck and I should avoid?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is there a way to modify the appearance of a ranged set so it looks like it's shooting out of an old-fashioned scifi raygun? The costume creator's fantastic and I've totally got the look down for my Adam Strange knockoff, but I'd rather not have him whip out an AK-47 and start riddling dude with bullets, or just blast fire bolts right out of his hands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, but it will be a raygun shooting bullets.

You cannot change non-weapon sets to fire from weapons though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, but it will be a raygun shooting bullets.

Welp, close enough.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are also straight up ray gun abilities in Gadgeteering, if you're freeform.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm surprised they don't have the ability to make any ranged abilities shoot out of handheld weapons though, that seems like just the kind of shiny cosmetic baublization that an F2P game thrives on. The devs were trying the same thing for ages in CoH, and when they couldn't make it work they just started bringing out new power sets with the same themes (and new gameplay gimmicks to make them even chintzier). Like Beam Rifle, which was basically "Energy Blast but it shoots out of a scifi laser blaster".

Edit: to cover the full gamut of cosmetic blastery, all powers that produce any kind of energy, elemental power or ethereal force would have the option to shoot out of your hands, eyes, a visor, forehead crystal, a chest emitter, a handgun, a rifle, a wand or a staff. Yeah, the dev team would probably have to take an entire year off just to do that, but imagine the utter rapture people would experience once that update went live!

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 12, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's on the list.

The Wizard set that came out recently had actually been finished for a long time. It was supposed to be coming with some of those, notably staff, but I guess that fell through.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I was messing around with the power builder last night, trying to figure out how to best make my Behemoth solve the following two problems: how not to constantly run out of energy, and how to be SWOLE AS gently caress. Seriously, I will not rest until I can throw that goddamn tremendous weight block in the training room. Also I've only been playing for like four days so feel free to laugh if I've done anything stupid (like maybe expecting to throw that tremendous weight block anytime soon).

PowerHouse

Link to this build

Name:

Archetype: The Behemoth

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Behemoth
Level 7: Mighty
Level 12: Relentless
Level 15: Quick Recovery
Level 20: Tireless
Level 25: Enduring
Level 30: Paramilitary Training

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber (Rank 2, It's That Time, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 1: Defensive Combo (Surge of Strength, Crippling Challenge)
Level 6: Mighty Leap
Level 8: Defiance (Force of Will)
Level 11: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
Level 14: Enrage
Level 17: Demolish (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 21: Retaliation (Rank 2)
Level 25: Aggressor
Level 30: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Better You Than Me)
Level 35: Uppercut (Rank 2, Head Trauma, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 40: Shockwave (Rank 2, Accelerated Metabolism)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Superjump
Level 35: Superspeed

Specializations:
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
Constitution: Tough (3/3)
Constitution: Resilient (1/2)
Constitution: Quick Healing (3/3)
Protector: Beacon of Hope (1/3)
Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
Protector: Exhausting Strikes (2/2)
Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I think to throw the largest objects you need like 360 strength or something like that. Don't quote me on that though.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Well, as a bit of an intro, the Behemoth AT is kind of janky. You're stuck in a role that has horrible natural energy management and deals substandard damage. Thankfully, the "Fuel my Fire" specialization alongside Defiance's energy generation should help to offset this, but your higher-up spec trees are also quite bad for high damage output.

As for being a beefcake, I'd recommend pouring almost all your stats into Strength. Screw recovery, as it barely helps you actually maintain a lasting offense and pretty much serves only to allow you to throw one strong punch at the start of a fight. In fact, aim for making your Strength higher than your Constitution if you want to be more of a damage dealer behemoth, as you'll need all that to make your Enrage stacks work to their fullest.

The Behemoth doesn't have a lot of options, but I'd say a build like this would do the trick:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...0002sNM0t8Q3bIm

Name: Buff guy dude.

Archetype: The Behemoth

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Behemoth
Level 7: Mighty
Level 12: Physical Conditioning
Level 15: Paramilitary Training
Level 20: Martial Focus
Level 25: Relentless
Level 30: Bodybuilder

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
Level 6: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 8: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
Level 14: Enrage
Level 17: Demolish (Rank 2, Below the Belt)
Level 21: Retaliation
Level 25: Aggressor (Rank 2)
Level 30: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
Level 35: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 40: Shockwave (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Superjump (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Superspeed (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
Constitution: Tough (3/3)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Protector: Beacon of Hope (1/3)
Protector: Unrelenting (1/2)
Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

To provide a simple outline of what's happening here, every talent has strength involved, and is boosting other stats that aid damage (Dex) or energy management (End, Rec). To further boost your power, I've also poured all possible points into defense boosts, meaning by the time you get to "The Best Defense" you'll have a pretty solid Offense score to back your damage up. It's kind of a shame, though, because a lot of the Behemoth's offensive power comes late game for some ridiculous reason.

As far as equipment goes, aim to use Crit. Chance offense items, Large Defense-boost defense items, and Massively effective energy efficiency utility items.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bluhman posted:

better build

Awesome, thanks for the help! However, I just went ahead and caved on the three-month gold account deal they've got going on, so archetype restrictions are no longer a problem. I want to stick with Might in general because I love the look and mechanics of the powers and the whole "strength stat uber alles" thing is pretty simple to follow; how would that change your advice?

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

Being able to pick and choose your powers now, take Havoc Stomp, it helps to build stacks of Enrage without punting a dude a billion miles away, its like an uppercut but AoE and its really really awesome.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I've decided to reinstall once CoH turns the lights out. How many guys from the old days are still playing?

I also see I missed a freeform slot sale. Goddamn, I was hoping Mecha Monkey could get his old Martials Arts build back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cuchulain posted:

I've decided to reinstall once CoH turns the lights out. How many guys from the old days are still playing?

I also see I missed a freeform slot sale. Goddamn, I was hoping Mecha Monkey could get his old Martials Arts build back.

Me and whaaaat.

Sometimes jjac pops in.