Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
aww jawn honey ill play with your data any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

It would be nice if there was an actual setup like kickstarter except for using equity raising.

Someone would have to get a bunch of legal/IBanking consulting on some standard equity offering forms to validate equity is actually being given to those investors funding projects.

Kickstarter Clone + Prefab Equity Agreements = New IPO Fundraising Mechanism.

people are working on stuff like this but there's a shitload of regulatory hoops to jump through, I think one will be out in Europe before the US

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Ian McLean posted:

It would be nice if there was an actual setup like kickstarter except for using equity raising.

Someone would have to get a bunch of legal/IBanking consulting on some standard equity offering forms to validate equity is actually being given to those investors funding projects.

Kickstarter Clone + Prefab Equity Agreements = New IPO Fundraising Mechanism.

I wonder how many people pledge money but then don't have enough left on their credit card when the project becomes successfully funded and Kickstarter tries to collect the money.

Kickstarter only puts a $1 hold on the person's card from what I understand.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
TheMoneyPit.co.uk

FlushYourKroners.se

InstantEuroWriteoffs.eu

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

that right there

that's the hopeless idealism i was talking about

Obviously both(perhaps multiple) parties would get credit. The data gatherers, and the data manipulators.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Printfreemoney.ng

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
im working on a new kickstarter competitor called GoFundYourself!

u can use it as the answer to when kickstarter refuses to let you have a kickstarter or you otherwise are having trouble raising capital to fund your awesome idea!

when u can't raise money, just imagine someone telling you 'GoFundYourself!' and u'll have the answer to your money needs.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
if just anyone could invest in a business that would be awful. im glad only rich people get those opportunities

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

Obviously both(perhaps multiple) parties would get credit. The data gatherers, and the data manipulators.

no, it's not about the "credit" or w/e strawman you aligned me with

it's this idea that there's a website out there and some bored nerd goes and finds a data set and starts working on it

that's never going to happen. wiki only works because people understand an encyclopedia and want to get their viewpoint out in *the* collection of human knowledge. memory alpha only works because of the pre-existing rabid fan base of trek.

you've got.. nothing. i basically agree with you that it'd be awesome to have a nerd horde I could toss data to, but you can't just spit out a website and expect the nerd horde to follow, the hordes you see are driven from within

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

0xB16B00B5 posted:

if just anyone could invest in a business that would be awful. im glad only rich people get those opportunities

Have you heard of online brokers? Only established companies can capture the ordinary person wanting to invest in something? If what your saying is correct, where would trading volume be, and what do you imagine the market growth would be without individual investors? Where would market liquidity be? What would this mean in terms of market efficiency?

Sounds to me, the only thing letting anyone invest in anything would do is facilitate growth in entrepreneurship and innovation. Obviously the best projects would still be the ones to attract the most funding, and thus natural selection would still play a role in market efficiency.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
What you need is the nerd caller, the nerd whisperer.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

and thus natural selection would still play a role in market efficiency.

what type of industrial lubricant have you got over there to prevent chafing

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Ian have you heard of Bit Coins? They're an interesting investment opportunity you might like to get in on the ground floor of

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ian McLean posted:

Obviously the best projects would still be the ones to attract the most funding, and thus natural selection would still play a role in market efficiency.

poe's law strikes again

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

no, it's not about the "credit" or w/e strawman you aligned me with

it's this idea that there's a website out there and some bored nerd goes and finds a data set and starts working on it

that's never going to happen. wiki only works because people understand an encyclopedia and want to get their viewpoint out in *the* collection of human knowledge. memory alpha only works because of the pre-existing rabid fan base of trek.

you've got.. nothing. i basically agree with you that it'd be awesome to have a nerd horde I could toss data to, but you can't just spit out a website and expect the nerd horde to follow, the hordes you see are driven from within

So... lets just discount the hordes of professors, graduate students, and researchers out there that might want a place to easily upload their data to be saved in a system that they can get recognition for their work, and will be posted on the internet in a place that will be there for generations. Then you are saying some kid comes along needing to do his science project won't want to go through and try to create a nice visual display combining different datasets? Obviously if the individual does a bad job at visualizing and interpreting the data, the display will get bad ratings, and be pushed down in the hidden archives of internet cyber waste. Eventually though... some good stuff will be created, and the best data paired with the best display will be the outcome of what is displayed in search. Seems like a simple enough concept that makes sense.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

someone post the other version pls I need it

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ian McLean posted:

So... lets just discount the hordes of professors, graduate students, and researchers out there that might want a place to easily upload their data

yep, I know them and they can't be hosed dumping their data on a third party

quote:

to be saved in a system that they can get recognition for their work
ahahahah

quote:

, and will be posted on the internet in a place that will be there for generations.

ahahahahaha

quote:

Then you are saying some kid comes along needing to do his science project won't want to go through and try to create a nice visual display combining different datasets?

ahahaaahahahahaahah yep you're totally solving the hard problem in this sentence.

quote:

Obviously if the individual does a bad job at visualizing and interpreting the data, the display will get bad ratings, and be pushed down in the hidden archives of internet cyber waist.

ah yes, upvoting ahahahaha

quote:

Eventually though... some good stuff will be created, and the best data paired with the best display will be the outcome of what is displayed in search.

1. dump things in database
2. ????
3. relevant search results

quote:

Seems like a simple enough concept that makes sense.

it only seems easy because people who are smart have made it look ridiculously easy.

i wish you the best of luck in reinventing google, wolfram alpha, and wikipedia.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

thanks

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

So... lets just discount the hordes of professors, graduate students, and researchers out there that might want a place to easily upload their data to be saved in a system that they can get recognition for their work

have you ever interacted with any of these people, described your idea, and received positive feedback?

or are you the kinda idea guy unfettered by the actual people you want to "help"?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
admittedly, if I took on problems the size of my ego, i'd ignore users too.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

have you ever interacted with any of these people, described your idea, and received positive feedback?

or are you the kinda idea guy unfettered by the actual people you want to "help"?

“people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

― Steve Jobs

But no, I do ask around, and continue to get good feedback.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

"My girlfriend always laughs during sex --no matter what she's reading."
-Steve Jobs (Founder, Apple's Computer)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

tef posted:

someone post the other version pls I need it

If you see this I'm probably doing a sig check

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
We need to make a victor/atwood-esuqe crank checklist

[X] “Don't you see it's visionary” complete with paragraphs of big ideas.
[X] Trivial dismissal of hard problems and existing alternatives.
[X] Can be alorithmically better than google/wolfram/facebook with lone engineer.
[X] If we build it they will come, especially if I do it.
[X] Obligatory steve jobs or similar quote.
[X] Wants to be new central point of failure for internet thing.
[X] Voting!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
ian have you thought of making a site thats vaguely immoral and/or has pictures of a mans anus on it, that works p well in my exp

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Ian academia has a very stringent vetting process for publishing data and it is highly frowned upon to release data without it being vetted. Some college professors and PhDs aren't going to finish up their paper on some obscure theory and then just throw it up on your website before it goes into Nature or something else. Even if you could somehow get people to publish to your site you lose the one thing that existing publications have and that is the knowledge of its user base. I don't want some 30 year old nerd editing a paper I have spent the last 7 years researching because he thinks he knows a way to make my data look more appealing or he thinks he knows the subject better.

As it is right now Wikipedia, with its massive circlejerk of bureaucracy, has trouble getting actual professionals to edit things on the site and then to hold that informed opinion over someone who just finished editing Naruto in Popular Culture. A site with just numbers and not the associated information describing those numbers(like the 200 page paper that goes with it) will devolve into editing wars and incorrect interpretations of data.

Data is only good when it is interpreted correctly otherwise it is useless and I would say detrimental. Do you really want people citing a source they don't understand? And your idea doesn't make the data easier to understand it makes it easier to remove the data from the theory and then interpret it in your own wrong way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

“people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

― Steve Jobs

But no, I do ask around, and continue to get good feedback.

ian, i knew steve jobs. steve jobs was a friend of mine.

ian... you're no steve jobs

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Cryin Burnigan posted:

Ian academia has a very stringent vetting process for publishing data and it is highly frowned upon to release data without it being vetted. Some college professors and PhDs aren't going to finish up their paper on some obscure theory and then just throw it up on your website before it goes into Nature or something else. Even if you could somehow get people to publish to your site you lose the one thing that existing publications have and that is the knowledge of its user base. I don't want some 30 year old nerd editing a paper I have spent the last 7 years researching because he thinks he knows a way to make my data look more appealing or he thinks he knows the subject better.

As it is right now Wikipedia, with its massive circlejerk of bureaucracy, has trouble getting actual professionals to edit things on the site and then to hold that informed opinion over someone who just finished editing Naruto in Popular Culture. A site with just numbers and not the associated information describing those numbers(like the 200 page paper that goes with it) will devolve into editing wars and incorrect interpretations of data.

Data is only good when it is interpreted correctly otherwise it is useless and I would say detrimental. Do you really want people citing a source they don't understand? And your idea doesn't make the data easier to understand it makes it easier to remove the data from the theory and then interpret it in your own wrong way.

SO! I WAIT FOR NATURE MAGAZINE TO PUBLISH THAT ARTICLE, AND SOME RANDO SNATCHES THE DATA UP AND ADDS IT TO STATPEDIA! THEN DATA GATHERERS COME TO ME AND SAY HEY! THAT IS MY DATA! And I SAY okay... lets negotiate. :)

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

atwood effortposting about how voting systems don't actually destroy constructive discourse was the saddest case of aspergers i ever did see

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Lmao I forgot about the Atwood forums revolution. Heh.

Heh. HEH.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ian McLean posted:

SO! I WAIT FOR NATURE MAGAZINE TO PUBLISH THAT ARTICLE, AND SOME RANDO SNATCHES THE DATA UP AND ADDS IT TO STATPEDIA! THEN DATA GATHERERS COME TO ME AND SAY HEY! THAT IS MY DATA! And I SAY okay... lets negotiate. :)

woah he's gone full victor guys

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

collecting data is meaningless if you can't make it easier to interpret, a stack of normal graphs will be a huge chunk of your data but what makes graph 1 different from graph 200 besides the axes labels if you don't have the associated information to interpret it.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Cryin Burnigan posted:

collecting data is meaningless if you can't make it easier to interpret, a stack of normal graphs will be a huge chunk of your data but what makes graph 1 different from graph 200 besides the axes labels if you don't have the associated information to interpret it.

You will be able to save an article to one datapoint, or many datapoints within a set from a specific source. So... what type of information are you referring to?

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

did atwood hire victor? that seems to good to be true, am i remembering that correctly

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
with an idea this good i'm surprised he didn't want us to sign an NDA

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
jawn tef qirex together at last :allears:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

You will be able to save an article to one datapoint, or many datapoints within a set from a specific source. So... what type of information are you referring to?

if you are linking the articles to the data you are creating wikipedia

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

tef posted:

internet cyber waist.

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Ian McLean posted:

I run into the bank and take money out of the vault. Then when the cops show up, I say ok(ay).... lets negotiate :getin:

• Locked thread