Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ineffiable posted:

Finally! Been waiting for this episode!

:gonk:

And here I thought they weren't gonna top the one for Battletoads. Dear god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Something I've noticed in a number of the most recent episodes is nasty interlacing. Unfortunately, it looks like the video has been resized at some point, which means the interlacing can't be removed. Is this a problem up the pipe from the translating team?

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

And here I thought they weren't gonna top the one for Battletoads. Dear god.

Be thankful that Arino will never challenge the arcade Battletoads game.

Omp
Sep 8, 2012

by T. Mascis

TapamN posted:

Hahahaha, their bodies

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

TapamN posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll one day challenge Chou Aniki.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

TapamN posted:

I'm amused that the closeups on their faces were clearly photoshopped out of the full-body shots. Draw one than more picture? That would require effort. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Something I've noticed in a number of the most recent episodes is nasty interlacing. Unfortunately, it looks like the video has been resized at some point, which means the interlacing can't be removed. Is this a problem up the pipe from the translating team?

Yes. The person who is the only available source for most of season 15 is pretty awful. Someone else started encoding better versions of things toward the end of the season so those episodes and season 16 look pretty good. Plus we're talking with someone about the possibility of even better encodes than we have.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
Yes, more Arino and Kirby! I can't wait for this one to finish downloading!

zari-gani posted:

"Smart" means skinny. "Mansion" means apartment....Japan uses "high/low tension" to mean "high/low energy."

I remember reading somewhere that calling a girl sweet or the Japanese equivalent of sweet would have a wildly different connotation in Japan, but I can't remember what it was or where I read it.

...please tell me it wasn't this thread and I'm just suffering from dementia.

2l2q
Sep 5, 2011
Dream Course episode is awesome so far, but why is hole 6-7 repeatedly referenced as 6-8?
EDIT: nvm, might of been thinking too hard and they were just referencing the next hole.

2l2q fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 10, 2012

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.
Kirby Dreamcourse Episode

Thank you very much Abe, for that final shot suggestion. Caught myself yelling at the screen again. This show has that effect on me. No other show has ever done this. :spergin:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
The past couple videos have been amazing. Thank you guys again for your awesome work. :)

I loved Kirby's Dream Course even though I was (and probably still am) absolutely horrible at it. It's too bad the JP version didn't have multiplayer, because it would've been amazing if they did that for the end (similar to Street Fighter 2 and Bomberman), although that's mostly nostalgia speaking since my brother and I used to play the gently caress out of multiplayer Kirby's Dream Course.

Edit: Did the JP version have multiplayer? I thought I read that it didn't, but now that I look again, I find no mention of it being cut.

Edit 2: The JP version did actually have a cutscene that explained the story, which was cut from the other versions.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 10, 2012

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Obeast posted:

It's too bad the JP version didn't have multiplayer, because it would've been amazing if they did that for the end

Given that it took him 13 hours just to clear the game, I imagine they weren't terribly interested in sticking around for some multiplayer. :v:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Obeast posted:

Edit: Did the JP version have multiplayer? I thought I read that it didn't, but now that I look again, I find no mention of it being cut.

It does.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That last episode was great, I love the dramatic readings from games segment so much :allears: Nakayama was such a perfect choice!

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
The arino-kirby photoshop in this one is probably the best one they've ever done. That face combined with kirby's pose is just... hosed.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Arino is such a dick charmer...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
According to the new years special, Watanabe and Arino talked for over an hour when she visited but the producer decided to cut everything but what we saw.

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

I remember reading somewhere that calling a girl sweet or the Japanese equivalent of sweet would have a wildly different connotation in Japan, but I can't remember what it was or where I read it.

You might be thinking of how amai means sweet, but when you say someone is being amai it means they're greatly underestimating someone or something.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 10, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

zari-gani posted:

According to the new years special, Watanabe and Arino talked for over an hour when she visited but the producer decided to cut everything but what we saw.

Comedy's just a little bit more vicious over there. I like Watanabe, she's like the Jo Brand of Japan

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

redmercer posted:

Comedy's just a little bit more vicious over there. I like Watanabe, she's like the Jo Brand of Japan

MY HUSBAND

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

zenintrude posted:

Arino is such a dick charmer...

I thought he was going to say "you got pretty fat", but the "I lied" is more in line with previous burns (though harsh). But it made me chuckle, so it did the job.

And I can't unsee her as Justin Thunder Liger, its a pretty good fit, especially the hair. Ah Japan, where wrestling is a sport (and a joke in the US and a religion in Mexico).

And for something not related to the topic, today is Gunpei Yokoi's birthday, so fire up your Gameboys, or if you're Kibe, probably a WonderSwan.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

FireCar posted:

And for something not related to the topic, today is Gunpei Yokoi's birthday, so fire up your Gameboys, or if you're Kibe, probably a WonderSwan.

I assume your subconscious cued into my avatar, which ties this whole thing together.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

My main regret is that Arino will never know the horror of the game's Extra mode courses, or the sheer, hilarious dickery of multiplayer.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

zenintrude posted:

I assume your subconscious cued into my avatar, which ties this whole thing together.

It did, and I do a "this day in history" along with "famous birthdays and deaths" in class, so seeing your avatar reminded me to say something here as well.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea It bugged the heck of out of me when DQ8 and 9 used tension for the super meter.
I always thought of it more like a spring or rubber band. Each turn of choosing tension is like stretching it a little more, so that the final release will be that much more explosive. I think calling it "Tension" instead of "Energy" gives the game a bit more character, and is in line with the old-timey aesthetic.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

zari-gani posted:

You might be thinking of how amai means sweet, but when you say someone is being amai it means they're greatly underestimating someone or something.

Reminds me of the terrible Super Robot Wars 4 fan-translation. The grunt soldiers go "SWEET!" when they attack because the translator didn't know that and the tone is all wrong as a result.

They also go "UWA!" when they are hit so I guess they're being piloted by clone Arinos.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Is it just me or does it seem like Arino and Watanabe are really good friends? Every time she shows up during the tamage segments, they seem to have a lot of fun together and I always get the feeling that he really enjoys hanging out with her, in spite of any nasty jokes about her weight. I don't want to start/contribute to any derails about Watanabe (we've had more than enough of those) I just wonder if I'm seeing more of a friendship than there really is. Maybe I just really like Watanabe, she's just so good natured and cheerful.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Awesomonster posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like Arino and Watanabe are really good friends? Every time she shows up during the tamage segments, they seem to have a lot of fun together and I always get the feeling that he really enjoys hanging out with her, in spite of any nasty jokes about her weight. I don't want to start/contribute to any derails about Watanabe (we've had more than enough of those) I just wonder if I'm seeing more of a friendship than there really is. Maybe I just really like Watanabe, she's just so good natured and cheerful.

Couple posts up confirmed that when Watanabe came in an episode, they actually talked for like a hour.

Also, she shows up a good portion on the arcade trips when she was actually employed by GCCX.

They're really just kind of friends in hanging out, and got that comedy routine going on with arino slinging insults every now and then.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Davzz posted:

They also go "UWA!" when they are hit so I guess they're being piloted by clone Arinos.
Now that just makes me want to get my hands on the special Arino version of Space Invaders. I'm positive I could find a use for a sound clip of him saying "Kacho WANWANWANWANWAN" or "Pichu! Pichu!"

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Awesomonster posted:

I don't think there's enough to suggest he's "really good friends" with any of them (or at least how I'd define that), but whew, I was beginning to think I was the only one that sees her laugh.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

That last episode was great, I love the dramatic readings from games segment so much :allears: Nakayama was such a perfect choice!

I like how he went to the trouble to wear a suit for that segment and then Arino points out that he's unemployed and they can't get rid of him.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That lady didn't even speak directly to him. She just glanced over at him, then talked to Arino like he didn't exist. That was way colder than any Watanabe cracks. :smith:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Bocc Kob posted:

That lady didn't even speak directly to him. She just glanced over at him, then talked to Arino like he didn't exist. That was way colder than any Watanabe cracks. :smith:

The best part was when she didn't know who he was and criticized him for being a poor voice actor!

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

rdbbb posted:

I don't think there's enough to suggest he's "really good friends" with any of them (or at least how I'd define that), but whew, I was beginning to think I was the only one that sees her laugh.

Context aside, laughing at insults thrown at you is a very common defense mechanism. Do with that what you will. :)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I don't want to start a Watanabe derail but *starts a Watanabe derail*

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Haha well I meant a Watanabe derail as in one that is at all about the jokes about her weight, because those are just the pits and nobody comes out of them happy. I just wondered if it was just me who felt like they were actualbuddies not just for tv buddies.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

So I've been reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame and oh god I'm like 200 pages in, and maybe 50 pages worth of stuff has happened. The rest is Victor Hugo raving on about his enormous boner for achitecture.

Anyway, I bring it up because this edition's translation reminds me of TV Nihon. On like every page there's something that has been left in the original French, with the English translation after it in brackets. I'm not even talking about names and titles and mottos and quotes, I mean just regular terms and concepts. Sometimes they don't even bother translating it and just leave that poo poo there IN FRENCH so you have to guess. It's so annoying. Just write the goddamn translation into the narrative and stop jarring me out of the loving story. I know that there's not always a 100% exact English equivalent, but god loving dammit if you really cannot incorporate the intended meaning into English somehow, then your deplorable lack of imagination and inituation should be keeping you the hell out of fiction. The entire thing just smacks of "Hey guys I'm way the gently caress more learned than you, and no one could possibly experience the PURITY of Hugo's intended meaning without seeing the phrase written here in a language you can't read because if you could you wouldn't be reading the loving English translation".

I appreciate ZG's efforts a LOT more now. I don't really watch a lot of anime so I haven't seen many dreadful fansubs, and didn't really 'get' all the rage at TVN. But apparently classical literature/language professors are like the weeaboos of academia. Jerks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Awesomonster posted:

Haha well I meant a Watanabe derail as in one that is at all about the jokes about her weight, because those are just the pits and nobody comes out of them happy. I just wondered if it was just me who felt like they were actualbuddies not just for tv buddies.

Japanese comedy, I guess?

Speaking of which, exactly how popular is GCCX in Japan, anyway? How big is Fuji TV? 'Cause you gotta reckon that getting Arino's picture on the Yamanote line had to be pretty expensive.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

So I've been reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame and oh god I'm like 200 pages in, and maybe 50 pages worth of stuff has happened. The rest is Victor Hugo raving on about his enormous boner for achitecture.

I had the exact same reaction (minus the architecture) when I read Les Miserables a few months ago. Hugo really loved the sound of his own voice.

Hakkesshu posted:

Speaking of which, exactly how popular is GCCX in Japan, anyway? How big is Fuji TV? 'Cause you gotta reckon that getting Arino's picture on the Yamanote line had to be pretty expensive.

Well, we know that it's the most popular show on that channel. I think it's at about the level of a minor cable channel success like Good Eats or Mythbusters in the US (to stick to nerdy shows). It's nowhere near as big as Top Gear despite the thread title.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Yeah, I've talked to a couple of people who have studied Japanese and are pretty knowledgeable about the country (one even lived in the Kansai region for a while), and neither of them knew about the show before I told them about it. It's a pretty popular TV show, but it's not quite a cultural-revolution kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's a pretty popular TV show, but it's not quite a cultural-revolution kind of thing.

But I dont understand. Arino himself said he is God of retro game, and he is famous nationwide. Are you telling me Arino was LYING?!