Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Egbert Souse posted:

(from the excellent 100+ page thread on Home Theater Forum)

:aaaaa:

Having never seen the movie, this makes me that much more excited. I've intended to see it many times but as soon as I heard about it's 4k blu ray transfer I decided to wait. I think I made the right decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Holy poo poo, that is a must buy for me now. Am really kicking myself for not seeing the 4k version when it was playing in some theaters last year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nick Wrigley on Rear Window
http://enthusiasm.org/post/31183475187
"Having watched the entire Blu-ray, all I can say is that it’s extremely impressive. The detail is incredible, the colours strong, beautiful, and consistent. Grain is very fine and looks like it’s being suppressed by DVNR in some shots, but I detect a more sensible approach here. It’s used on some shots more than others and is not really a problem, but I have no idea what they were wrestling with."

A few shots required extra digital work in 1998, so he's probably referring to those. The shot of Lisa kissing Jeff required full digital work since it was faded.

mod sassinator posted:

Holy poo poo, that is a must buy for me now. Am really kicking myself for not seeing the 4k version when it was playing in some theaters last year.

Don't kick yourself yet.
http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/lawrenceofarabia.aspx

All theaters will be projecting the 4K master via 2K or 4K projection. Don't forget to bring (or buy) a snack and drink since they're keeping the 15 minute intermission intact.

Edit: Here's a Caps-a-Holic comparison between the Blu and Superbit DVD.
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=1271#auswahl

In the shot of Ali listening to the railroad tracks, every grain of sand is visible. I can't imagine how awesome this looks in 4K or even 2K.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 9, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

luigionlsd posted:

Holy poo poo, Lawrence of Arabia was worth the 6 year wait.
I've never seen it and was waiting for the BD to finally watch it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Sporadic posted:

I could have swore that the launch titles were pretty underwhelming (but honestly, the only thing I remember now is how they were using MPEG-2 for encodes)

And yeah, the Aguirre screencaps are stunning. I'm so glad that Herzog supervised the transfers (instead of letting Studio Canal handle them on their own). Really makes me want to import them.

Jesus Christ it's like they MADE Blu Ray for 16mm film.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

penismightier posted:

Jesus Christ it's like they MADE Blu Ray for 16mm film.

Aguirre was shot on 35mm, however I do agree that 16mm films do look pretty good once given a decent transfer for BD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Nick Wrigley on Rear Window
http://enthusiasm.org/post/31183475187
"Having watched the entire Blu-ray, all I can say is that it’s extremely impressive. The detail is incredible, the colours strong, beautiful, and consistent. Grain is very fine and looks like it’s being suppressed by DVNR in some shots, but I detect a more sensible approach here. It’s used on some shots more than others and is not really a problem, but I have no idea what they were wrestling with."

A few shots required extra digital work in 1998, so he's probably referring to those. The shot of Lisa kissing Jeff required full digital work since it was faded.

Rear Window is the one I was most excited about having on blu-ray. The first time I saw the movie was in 1999 or 2000 at movie theater when they made new 35mm prints.

VoodooXT posted:

Aguirre was shot on 35mm, however I do agree that 16mm films do look pretty good once given a decent transfer for BD.

I know I've mentioned this in the thread a lot, but holy balls does the Evil Dead blu-ray look amazing. It was sourced from the original 16mm. I admit I haven't seen a huge number of blu-rays because I've only had a player for about a year. But I tempted to say Evil Dead has the best looking picture I've seen.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The price for Deep Impact has been sinking over the past few days.

Currently at $5.67 on Amazon (also comes with a free VOD rental of it if you can't wait the two days for it to show up)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DMJLTE...B5MHXCXCD593940

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I know I've mentioned this in the thread a lot, but holy balls does the Evil Dead blu-ray look amazing. It was sourced from the original 16mm. I admit I haven't seen a huge number of blu-rays because I've only had a player for about a year. But I tempted to say Evil Dead has the best looking picture I've seen.

Yeah, I just got it from Netflix so I'm prepared to have my balls rocked.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Raiders of the Lost Ark HDTV vs BluRay
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1389823/indiana-jones-trilogy-september-2012/600#post_22387490

Colour differences aside, looks good to me. Very pleasing lack of EE. 5th from the bottom is a good example.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 10, 2012

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It looks pretty sexy to me.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Do they have them mislabeled? The 7th one from the bottom in particular looks like a DVD compared to the BBC HD shot.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

BBCHD is very over sharpened, WOWOW is still sharpened, blu-ray doesn't look to have any sharpening on it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

frumpsnake posted:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1389823/indiana-jones-trilogy-september-2012/600#post_22387490

Colour differences aside, looks good to me. Very pleasing lack of EE. 5th from the bottom is a good example.

Eww. I think I'll be sticking with my DVD copy. Why is everything so much brighter?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 10, 2012

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Eww. I think I'll be sticking with my DVD copy. Why is everything so much brighter?

Improved dynamic range of the scanner. When they scanned the darker ones, the technology at the time only allowed them to scan the film frame darker in order to preserve highlight detail. With newer scanners, you can scan midtones at the brightness they're supposed to be while preserving highlight detail. The 5th from the bottom pics are a good example of what I'm referring to: they had to scan the frame darker because the sky would end up being completely blown out while the new BD is brighter while keeping the sky from turning pure white.

EDIT:

Reading the AVSForum thread, they're complaining about this allegedly "new" color timing. I was always under the impression that the Raiders films were warm/amber-ish.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 10, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

frumpsnake posted:

Look at the difference in the grass in the 6th row :stare:

If that's the way it's supposed to be I guess that's fine, but at face value it seems far too drastic of a change.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Ah yes, the Nazi's iconic 'Swastika on an orange flag' symbol.

That second HDTV transfer has a lot more detail.

And look at that sunset :stare: What the hell happened there?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ah yes, the Nazi's iconic 'Swastika on an orange flag' symbol.
Wow I didn't notice that at first, that's pretty bad.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That second HDTV transfer has a lot more detail.
No, it's just artificially sharpened. The Blu-Ray generally shows the same and/or more detail, with a finer grain structure and lack of halos.

BD

HDTV (JP)

HDTV (UK)

(Similarly, zoom in on the extras in the bar or the camp/desert.)

This HDTV shot:

Is not more detailed than this Blu-Ray shot

just because there are white halos and artifacts everywhere.

Colour timings are a more contentious issue (and yes, some detail is lost based on contrast changes, look at some of the clothing) but I'd imagine viewing a red flag in bright sun in the middle of the desert would certainly give it a golden hue.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 10, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I guess I'm not too tech savvy for that, but I'm looking at these pictures:

and to me it seems like I can see the fine details of Belloq's face better in the first one.

E: reread your post, you are right. I have a problem with the colour correction, because it seems to shave several years of age off of Belloq, for instance. Also, that sunset. Goddamn.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 10, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, I'm really not liking the increase of orange/yellow in those pictures. That sunset and that field of grass in particular look terrible. Although to be fair I kind of prefer a cooler/blue colour timing in general.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 10, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another tangentially related question, but given the audio discussion earlier I think it would be relevant. I'm noticing a lot of crackling at higher volumes on BDs through my PS3, though I'm fairly sure it's just the low quality of the TV's speakers rather than the system (I already had the changes suggested implemented). However, I really don't care for 5.1...how common/stupid would it be to buy a receiver, but only set it up for 2.1?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Another tangentially related question, but given the audio discussion earlier I think it would be relevant. I'm noticing a lot of crackling at higher volumes on BDs through my PS3, though I'm fairly sure it's just the low quality of the TV's speakers rather than the system (I already had the changes suggested implemented). However, I really don't care for 5.1...how common/stupid would it be to buy a receiver, but only set it up for 2.1?

I have a 5.1 receiver for my stereo, but I only have two speakers so I've got it set for 2.0 (plus I'm listening to vinyl records, so there'd be no point in surround sound here). I'm sure it's entirely possible unless you've got a lovely receiver.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I have a 5.1 receiver for my stereo, but I only have two speakers so I've got it set for 2.0 (plus I'm listening to vinyl records, so there'd be no point in surround sound here).

Unless you start buying quadraphonic records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

Unless you start buying quadraphonic records.

That's a whole other pain in the rear end that I'm pretty sure requires special equipment. And the records themselves are not too easy to come by.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you watch a lot of movies you might want to add a center channel too. A lot of dialog is put on the center channel so it helps to have it alone instead of mixed into the left and right.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I feel I need another old movie on the format other than Aliens. How is Adam West's Batman movie? Blu-ray.com says it's even better than some 1980s films I want to buy, and it has a commentary track with Adam West and Burt Ward. Anybody can confirm its quality?

Also, will I ever actually see Manos on BD? It better will have the surviving casts doing commentary. Come on, even Plan 9 is on BD! That one even has a decent colouring job.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

I feel I need another old movie on the format other than Aliens. How is Adam West's Batman movie? Blu-ray.com says it's even better than some 1980s films I want to buy, and it has a commentary track with Adam West and Burt Ward. Anybody can confirm its quality?

Also, will I ever actually see Manos on BD? It better will have the surviving casts doing commentary. Come on, even Plan 9 is on BD! That one even has a decent colouring job.

Pretty much anything in Black and White is amazing on blu-ray. Also if you don't have Alien, get that. It's absolutely insane how good it looks on blu-ray.

Haven't seen the Manos thread, eh?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450845&pagenumber=1

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Pretty much anything in Black and White is amazing on blu-ray. Also if you don't have Alien, get that. It's absolutely insane how good it looks on blu-ray.

Haven't seen the Manos thread, eh?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450845&pagenumber=1

Reviews say Alien has a better transfer than Aliens, so I'll try that. But I'm still getting Batman. Adam West commenary track!

I've forgotten about the Manos thread! It looks like Ben has some more work to do, but I'm glad it's still moving on.

By the way, The Prestige is now $6.96 new on Amazon. It might be the same case like Deep Impact last week where the price keeps getting lower until the weekend.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

People say the Raiders Blu-Ray is soft and doesn't have as many details as the HDTV caps, but in reality all of the HDTV caps are sharpened and the Blu-Ray is not. This is a comparison of the WOWOW frame and a sharpened and contrast boosted Blu-Ray frame. http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/144773

Regarding the color timing it would appear that the Blu-Ray is more true to the original than the other transfers.

quote:

According to Torsten Kaiser (TLEFilms Film Restoration, known from their restorations of "M" and "Assault on Precinct 13") the new color scheme is much closer to the original negative than the copies (VHS, DVD, HDTV) before.

http://forum.cinefacts.de/199806-indiana-jones-trilogie-35.html#post7666197
http://forum.cinefacts.de/199806-indiana-jones-trilogie-36.html#post7666375

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

hitze posted:

People say the Raiders Blu-Ray is soft and doesn't have as many details as the HDTV caps, but in reality all of the HDTV caps are sharpened and the Blu-Ray is not. This is a comparison of the WOWOW frame and a sharpened and contrast boosted Blu-Ray frame. http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/144773

Regarding the color timing it would appear that the Blu-Ray is more true to the original than the other transfers.

:colbert: Well, I liked it better when the sunset meant the sun setting, not the sun going super-nova :colbert:

But I hope that's true, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Indy seriously looks like that patient on House or Scrubs that turned orange from drinking too much carrot juice. If that's how the original negatives were, christ I don't know, what were they thinking then?

Strangely enough, people who are not Indy don't look as bad in the BDs though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Raiders caps are apparently from a rip of the Blu compressed to 9GB. It's probably not accurate. AVSForums is where those heavily DVNRed caps of The Ten Commandments that turned out to be from some idiot's bad setup.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, I think a lot is just dramatics. I can understand how you might not prefer it, but some of the comments I've seen online have been pretty extreme. Everything is pushed towards yellow and orange, but it's not like "Do the Right Thing" where it looks like a completely different movie. Of course, some might argue that this has the opposite problem of "Do the Right Thing."

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

The Raiders caps are apparently from a rip of the Blu compressed to 9GB. It's probably not accurate. AVSForums is where those heavily DVNRed caps of The Ten Commandments that turned out to be from some idiot's bad setup.

Oh man, you just reminded me and I burst out laughing. Thanks for brightening my day. :)

But yeah, really any screencap of a BD shouldn't be taken as the definitive representation of what it'll look like on the disc.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, I think a lot is just dramatics. I can understand how you might not prefer it, but some of the comments I've seen online have been pretty extreme. Everything is pushed towards yellow and orange, but it's not like "Do the Right Thing" where it looks like a completely different movie. Of course, some might argue that this has the opposite problem of "Do the Right Thing."
I feel like the yellow/orange is certainly way too strong, but as others have pointed out, I have no clue regarding the story of how those pictures were taken, and also how much my settings at home are going to negate it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The thing is the overly warm look now matches '...Crystal Skull', which was heavy in the orange glow department. The difference is that film looks more natural as that's how it was designed. The colour correction here would make sense if they were trying to get them to match.

I'd be interested in seeing how 'Temple of Doom' looks as that glow wouldn't match the look of the film AT ALL.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I went to an IMAX screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark yesterday. I'm not sure how closely the version I saw will match the disc, but I can tell you there were some flaws. The colors did seem a bit off at times but generally it wasn't too harsh or distracting. And I think it probably jumped out more because I was looking for problems. That's not to say it was perfect, but less jarring than I was expecting after reading about the BD release here. I'm less skeptical about the blu-ray now but I'm absoultely going to keep an eye on what people say about the BD transfer when it's released.

Also, they removed the reflection of the cobra when it almost attacks Dr. Jones (but not Marion for some reason).

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Last Crusade DVD v Blu

Egbert Souse posted:

The Raiders caps are apparently from a rip of the Blu compressed to 9GB. It's probably not accurate.
No, they're PNG shots of the BD50 which leaked (and were posted) well before any rips were produced.

(A rip of the disc also would have cropped the letterbox bars.)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

This feels like the same "outrage" that came up when the LOTR:SE BD box set came out and people were furious about the slight changes to the color timing. When seeing these screenshots side by side, the differences are obvious, but who watches movies like that? And who has the memory for really specific color and contrast differences, especially between all kinds of various media over the years? It's a lot of anger over a relatively minor thing.

• Locked thread