Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I bought the Campervan on a whim a while ago, awesome set with lots of lovely details.
I wasn't too happy about its "slammed" stance, though, and about how a Creator model with those Technic underpinnings didn't come with steering and an undriven engine.

I fixed that by dropping the wheels one brick height, adding a differential to drive the engine, and a compact steering mechanism. Needed quite a few changes to the van's body, but I quite like how it came out. No hand-of-god steering as of now, but I might add it later by putting a "spare" wheel on the roof.

After the build, inspired by some pictures I found online, I fired up LDD and went about building a camper to make a matching set:

I'm currently debating buying another van to actually build it. Should I do it, I'll post pictures.
If anyone is interested in the .lxf, pm me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Intoxication posted:

Volkswagen campervan

My coworker made an awesome trailer for his, and he modified it so its right-side drive. He also put a motor in it. I'll see if he can send me some pictures of it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

My local Target set up their Halloween section today, so I popped in and got the Ghost/grandfather clock set. I really like the new ghost and he'll make a good friend for my old smiling ghost. It's a little weird how they didn't give him minifigure legs, though, since it looks like the Ghost Train ghosts have them. It's still really cool that there's a $4 ghost set; when I was a kid I only remember them being in the $70-$100 range. It's definitely going to be a temptation to not grab another one or seven over the next two months. (I also want to see somebody do a MOC combining the Ghost Train and Brick Daddy's limo.)

I also finally got into the minifigure craze; felt for an Alien Empress, then grabbed four more (two conquistadors, a robot, and the Tooth Fairy). I kind of want a pirate captain, but my conquistadors reminded me how much I loved the Armada line back in the 90's. When I build an army, I usually use those helmets, so now I have two commanders. I think my Armada ship is missing a few pieces, so I might have to make my first bricklink purchase.

They haven't done human monarchs in the line yet, have they? I can see the Musketeer, Conquistador, and Redcoat all needing a queen or the Gladiators and Legionnaire having an emperor.

e: VVV I remember that one from old catalogs, but I started getting castles during the transition from Dragon Masters to Royal Knights. SO CLOSE :negative: I think I actually got my only old-school ghost from the unfairly maligned Time Twisters, but one of my childhood friends had one from the giant Royal Knights castles for years before I had one.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 12, 2012

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

FadingChord posted:

It's still really cool that there's a $4 ghost set; when I was a kid I only remember them being in the $70-$100 range.

I got my first ghost in the 1596 Ghostly Hideout, which that link says retailed for $4.25. And for that price you got another minifig and a small BURP!

On a side note the new ghosts seem to be made out of a different material. Understandable, since there's.. wow, almost 20 years :corsair: between them, but the new material seems to glow less brightly and looks sort of speckled.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My local target didn't have the ghost out nor a spot on the shelf for it, but there was a spot for a 'Lego friend mailbox' for $4. Any idea what that is?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

FadingChord posted:

My local Target set up their Halloween section today, so I popped in and got the Ghost/grandfather clock set. I really like the new ghost and he'll make a good friend for my old smiling ghost. It's a little weird how they didn't give him minifigure legs, though, since it looks like the Ghost Train ghosts have them.

I think the clock set ghost doesn't have regular minifig legs so you can fit the 1-stud end of the ball and chain on his foot without making him taller than a regular figure. The first ghost I ever got was built the same way, with a white 1x2 brick and 2 1x2 plates filling in for the legs.

Also I had the opposite experience with the ghost - the new one is both brigher white normally and glows brighter than my old ghost. I think it's a great improvement all around.

Sockser, the Friends mailbox set is a little polybag Friends set. It has the blonde Friends girl and seems to be sort of Valentine's themed, which is weird since it's out with the halloween sets. Its got a little mailbox and I guess a stand with a big heart on top. The stand sells a little bouqet of flowers and a box of chocolates. Its got quite a few pink cheese slopes and its slightly better price per brick than the Ghost polybag.

e: This is it: http://toysnbricks.com/target-exclusive-lego-friends-30105-mailbox-polybag/

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I think for my next lego project I'm going to do a minifigure scaleish replica of my house and yard. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking 1 stud = roughly 1 foot. How tall is the average floor in lego bricks? Any comments from experiences are appreciated.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 12, 2012

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Scored a few of the Target ghost sets today, they had a metric poo poo ton, so I guess I shouldn't have worried about missing them after all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sockser posted:

My local target didn't have the ghost out nor a spot on the shelf for it, but there was a spot for a 'Lego friend mailbox' for $4. Any idea what that is?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I picked up one of the small creator sets and started messing with models from scratch, I think having some fundamentals knowledge would be good.

Are the MBA kits a good source of information/parts?

Was looking at this http://shop.lego.com/en-US/MBA-Kits-2-3-5001270 and the spaceship one. Also had this recommended to me http://www.amazon.com/The-Unofficial-LEGO-Builders-Guide/dp/1593270542/ which looks like what I am looking for.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

RodShaft posted:

I think for my next lego project I'm going to do a minifigure scaleish replica of my house and yard. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking 1 stud = roughly 1 ft.

Tape measure will tell you, roof you will probably eyeball using ratio of how tall it looks in relation to lower house.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010
Came home from the store to find my dogs had destroyed the second book to the camper :cry:
Bad enough that I was rebuilding it because my cat knocked it off the shelf last week. Obviously my pets hate Legos.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

RodShaft posted:

I think for my next lego project I'm going to do a minifigure scaleish replica of my house and yard. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking 1 stud = roughly 1 foot. How tall is the average floor in lego bricks? Any comments from experiences are appreciated.

Well a minifig is 4 blocks tall (Or 12 plates), assuming a minifig is 6ft tall that makes each plate 6 inches tall and each block 1 foot and 6 inches tall.

You should be able to work out the rest from those points of reference.

edit: Also from that point of reference the door frames are 9 feet tall in lego and the inner frame is 7 and a half feet. Going by that you might be better measuring your door frames at home and using those as a point of reference for scale.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 12, 2012

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Intoxication posted:

I bought the Campervan on a whim a while ago, awesome set with lots of lovely details.
I wasn't too happy about its "slammed" stance, though, and about how a Creator model with those Technic underpinnings didn't come with steering and an undriven engine.

I fixed that by dropping the wheels one brick height, adding a differential to drive the engine, and a compact steering mechanism. Needed quite a few changes to the van's body, but I quite like how it came out. No hand-of-god steering as of now, but I might add it later by putting a "spare" wheel on the roof.

After the build, inspired by some pictures I found online, I fired up LDD and went about building a camper to make a matching set:

I'm currently debating buying another van to actually build it. Should I do it, I'll post pictures.
If anyone is interested in the .lxf, pm me.

I do not have PMs but i'm interested in looking at the LXF file for this, could you mail it to me? my mail address is my username @gmail.com? mostly for an experiment to see if i can reduce the part count on it. so i can piece together a cheap campervan on bricklink for myself :D

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This past weekend I went to Leonard's Mill in Maine, which has a functional waterwheel-driven band saw.

Looking at it, I immediately realized it could be done in Lego except one part: the ratcheting system that moves the wood forward.

Basically, there's a gear with angled teeth so as the saw moves in the cutting direction, the piece of wood slides forward, but as the saw resets, the wood doesn't move (so the saw doesn't snag).

But I don't think I've ever seen a ratchet gear in Lego. Do they exist?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

:3: I've made a couple necklaces for friends out of those hearts

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Thinking I might pull the trigger on Medieval Market Village this paycheck. Thoughts?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Saint Sputnik posted:

Thinking I might pull the trigger on Medieval Market Village this paycheck. Thoughts?

If you're a Castle fan at all it's one of the best sets you can get. It's a really big set - its something like 2000 pieces - and the buildings are all really neat.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

This past weekend I went to Leonard's Mill in Maine, which has a functional waterwheel-driven band saw.

Looking at it, I immediately realized it could be done in Lego except one part: the ratcheting system that moves the wood forward.

Basically, there's a gear with angled teeth so as the saw moves in the cutting direction, the piece of wood slides forward, but as the saw resets, the wood doesn't move (so the saw doesn't snag).

You'd have to cobble one together. I've seen a couple, like ones here
http://www.tippcityscience.com/STEAM/Images/Mechanism.pdf and here http://www.philohome.com/kdozer/kd.htm

You could probably make something brick-built and ridiculously bulky with cheese slopes.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
After not playing with Lego for over 15 years, I have to say that Monster Hunter sets are by far the best thing they've done in a while. My gf and I are huge horror fans and we love them. She's even planning out a place to put that huge horror doll-house set in our apt now.

I was really under the false impression that Lego only really put out franchise poo poo these days, like the endless Star Wars, Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings sets.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

Do it; you won't regret it.

I bought this as my first brand new (i.e. not new-to-me old sets from eBay) Lego set and it was a great build. The only problem with it was that it sent me on a spiral of wanting more...

...and that's why I'm sitting here avoiding tidying up today, as I have a shedload of display and storage issues and I'm hiding at my computer instead of sorting it all out.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

jeeves posted:

I was really under the false impression that Lego only really put out franchise poo poo these days, like the endless Star Wars, Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings sets.

Think of this stuff as Lego's day job. It brings in the money so Lego can do what it really likes on the side.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Colonial Air Force posted:

You can make one by combining a gear with one of those flat 1x4 bricks with gear teeth on top connected to a brick that can pivot. Sorry if that's confusing, I'd take a picture but I'm at work. Some of the old Technic sets used them as brakes for crane cables.

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
What's everyone's thoughts on the roumered teenage mutant ninja turtles theme for next year?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

InsanityRocks posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on the roumered teenage mutant ninja turtles theme for next year?

Ehhhhh. I think if it is real, it'll do one wave like Spongebob, and then go again. I'm not excited, though.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Pyroclastic posted:

You'd have to cobble one together. I've seen a couple, like ones here
http://www.tippcityscience.com/STEAM/Images/Mechanism.pdf and here http://www.philohome.com/kdozer/kd.htm

You could probably make something brick-built and ridiculously bulky with cheese slopes.

8285 has a compact one for the string on the hook.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

The_Doctor posted:

Ehhhhh. I think if it is real, it'll do one wave like Spongebob, and then go again. I'm not excited, though.

I think that TMNT has a much greater potential than spongebob though. TMNT has always done well with action figures and play sets, which will translate pretty well into LEGO, if Star Wars is any indication. It also has the nostalgia factor going for it.

That said, where does this rumor stem from? I've seen it a few times in the past week, but I still find it baffling.

Unrelated, I stopped by a Five Below today, they had some DC accessory cases. I picked up one with some interesting tiles and Johnny Depp for 3$.

Pirate Ken fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 14, 2012

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Dammit thanks for reminding me I no longer live within driving distance of a 5Below.

Spent $50 on S8, a few S7 and ghost polybags at Target yesterday. I should not be trusted with a paycheck. Got me a diver and an evil robot, though I'll have to do some mixing and matching because the robot's head is too cool to leave covered with his helmet.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Pirate Ken posted:

I think that TMNT has a much greater potential than spongebob though. TMNT has always done well with action figures and play sets, which will translate pretty well into LEGO, if Star Wars is any indication. It also has the nostalgia factor going for it.

That said, where does this rumor stem from? I've seen it a few times in the past week, but I still find it baffling.

Playmates rep told me they were angling for a Lego deal back at Toy Fair.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010
Went to Target and had to get an employee to go to the back to find the ghost bag because it wasn't on the shelf yet. Also FINALLY found the bat boy mini fig after three failed trips to the Lego store to find him. He know lives on top of my haunted house.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Built the haunted house and love it, yes there was some repetitive parts like all of the houses but it just looks so drat good when finished and the parts you do get are decent. Lots of sand green 1x1, 1x2, 1x4 and 1x6. With free shipping and the zombie car minibag.

For $200 it isn't bad, same price as fire brigade/grand emporium and while it isn't a modular it is comparable. The rest of the monster theme I am not overly crazy for but the house is defiantly going to be one of those must have sets in a few years if you miss it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

MaggieTheCat posted:

Went to Target and had to get an employee to go to the back to find the ghost bag because it wasn't on the shelf yet. Also FINALLY found the bat boy mini fig after three failed trips to the Lego store to find him. He know lives on top of my haunted house.

Besides the Diver the Man Bat is my favorite from this new series, he is currently hanging upside from the roof of the Haunted House holding a gray parrot and a crossbow for the hell of it. Love that set so much, by far one of the best display items.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is the haunted house online only?

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is the haunted house online only?

Nope, I built the display for our store.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

youareoffthehook posted:

Nope, I built the display for our store.

Cool, it's just Australia being poo poo then. Any ausgoons seen it anywhere?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Speaking of which: the upcoming UCS B-Wing is $200.00 for the US store, $350.00 (before shipping) in Aus. I know this thread probably gets tired of the bitching about Australian prices, but come the gently caress on! Does anyone know any way around this? Is it legal to ask?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Krazyface posted:

Speaking of which: the upcoming UCS B-Wing is $200.00 for the US store, $350.00 (before shipping) in Aus. I know this thread probably gets tired of the bitching about Australian prices, but come the gently caress on! Does anyone know any way around this? Is it legal to ask?

Ebay or Bricklink maybe? It's what I'm considering doing with the haunted house. I've found plenty on both that are cheaper (including shipping) than buying off the lego site. I'm just trying to find it in store so I can put it on layby.

Basilson
Sep 21, 2005

Yeah, right, buddy, liquor store robbery, officer down. Sure. And I'm Edward G. Robinson.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Ebay or Bricklink maybe? It's what I'm considering doing with the haunted house. I've found plenty on both that are cheaper (including shipping) than buying off the lego site. I'm just trying to find it in store so I can put it on layby.

In my experience, finding rarer sets in Australia is completely hit or miss. For example, a couple of years ago while walking through my local Target (in Darwin of all places) I found set #10177 Boeing 787. They only had about 8 in stock and once it was gone is was gone. I've never seen any other 'rare' set there before or since.

More recently, in my local K-Mart, and again completely by chance, I found set #10231 Space Shuttle Expedition. There were only about 4 on the shelf and in hindsight I should have grabbed all of them when I had the chance, but once again this was a rare set that they wouldn't normally stock and I've never seen them being sold before or since.

So I guess the moral of the story is regularly check everywhere local to you that sells Lego and occasionally you'll get lucky. That said if there's a set you really want that's not available in stores I would just go ahead and buy it online before it becomes unavailable.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Saw the new minifigs at Target. Just grabbed 4, thought for a first time buy I'd be ok. Three loving football players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

picked up a zombie, royal guard, and vampire for 1.50 each at a fleemarket, also saw a ton of classic space figures for 0.50, picked out a couple with the best printing. Was hoping for some nice technic deals but all I found was the pre power functions motor pack unopened.

They also had a bag of bricks with "lego factory 200x" printed on them, anyone know where these come from?

Also saw one of the old dino sets, a gigantic helicoptor. The guy didn't want to only sell me the dinos though :(

Ika fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 16, 2012