Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Also McDLT > McLean if we're talking discontinued McDonald's hamburger sandwiches, just sayin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
please tell me more about obscure mcdonalds product history

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
the character named grimace is named after the face everyone makes when you post

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian, I've been thinking and am fairly sure that this can be bootstrapped in such a way that that the site can fund its own development. You can focus (short-term) on electoral/political statistics, crowd-sourced from armchair wonks energized by the upcoming election. Use a basic wiki paired with something like gnu/pspp as a platform. Drupal might also be useful.

The main problem is spinning everything up fast enough to take advantage of the election. It may help to gamify the initial contributor experience with "achievements" or other digital tokens in order to encourage early-adopter contributions. These can be parlayed as status for when the full site goes live.

Meanwhile, you now have a system with living content that you can shop around to investors, which is a hell of a lot more impressive than a slick PPTX and a good elevator pitch.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Honked posted:

hahahahaheheheeehoho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
i should be an ideas guy

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
I think we should all take deep breaths and think about thoughts of divine beauty.

We must breathe clouds and imagine thoughts of pureness surrounding everything.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ian McLean posted:

I think we should all take deep breaths and think about thoughts of divine beauty.

you know what's better than this

sucking a giant dick in space

as it pushes deep down your throat... you're running out of breath as youre running out of breath

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
sorry but statpedia sounds like a bad idea that will never be useful to anyone

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Sniep posted:

you know what's better than this

sucking a giant dick in space

as it pushes deep down your throat... you're running out of breath as youre running out of breath

Whoa, Deep.

Throat.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

so I actually thought about this for a few minutes and came to the conclusion that this project is only going to attract the funding and nerdbase necessary to work if you dial-down its scope dramatically

I mean yeah, it's already been posted that nerds are only going to be there if it's something they obsess over; the homestuck kickstarter got like $500,000 in the first twelve hours and it still has almost a month to go, and the bronycon documentary got like $300,000 when it was done

maybe statpedia can harness that too if you reduce its focus to just being a place for statistics about nerd poo poo to be posted, I mean, these people care enough to create their own wikis, hell, the star wars wiki alone has almost 100,000 pages

now think of that, and the homestuck, star trek, and my little pony wikis, and the amount of inane nerd stats you could tap into with statpedia

this isn't going to happen, though, because the second you show anyone on those sites your kickstarter they're going to take the idea and implement a version of it on their own sites, because where else would they post the stats they so lovingly gathered about their favorite subjects

people cared enough to endlessly-edit wikipedia, and some cared hard enough to make even spergier spin-off wikis, how is statpedia supposed to incentivize itself enough to draw them away from that?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 11, 2012

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Ian do you have any formal cs training?

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

Ian McLean posted:

People get money from ads via uploading their YouTube videos, why would all those researches out there not want the same for their stats?

hahaha holy poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh i get it, it's basically a market research company but they don't have to have any researchers cause all of the research is crowdsourced and instead of selling it it's ad-supported. makes sense

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

1.6 only, accept no imitations

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

my penis is small and smells of prawns

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
6.5" long

Based on the page views for this thread, how much ROI could I expect with your current advertiser parternships from this statistic?

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
ian you literally paid money to be made fun of

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

ian do u even lift

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ian will u b my bulk bro?
[]yes []no []maybe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yosreminder

bulk, THEN cut

i'm almost done with bulking

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
no you're not

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Ian have you heard of dual-cumming?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

SOME RANDO SNATCHES THE DATA UP AND ADDS IT TO STATPEDIA
im really confused about your mental model for research and data sets and publishing

i mean normally that's not somewhere people are strong, but seeing as you're trying to found a business on exactly that...

duTrieux. posted:

Ian, I've been thinking and am fairly sure that this can be bootstrapped in such a way that that the site can fund its own development. You can focus (short-term) on electoral/political statistics, crowd-sourced from armchair wonks energized by the upcoming election. Use a basic wiki paired with something like gnu/pspp as a platform. Drupal might also be useful.

The main problem is spinning everything up fast enough to take advantage of the election. It may help to gamify the initial contributor experience with "achievements" or other digital tokens in order to encourage early-adopter contributions. These can be parlayed as status for when the full site goes live.

Meanwhile, you now have a system with living content that you can shop around to investors, which is a hell of a lot more impressive than a slick PPTX and a good elevator pitch.
btw, this is the single best idea that's been posted and you just sailed right past it

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

God says

Ian McLean posted:

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but this is a whole lot l ike wolfram alpha and wikipedia but not as good at what it does as either.

also

Pierogi posted:

God says

lol

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

JawnV6 posted:

btw, this is the single best idea that's been posted and you just sailed right past it

nah the best was dual cumming

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

nah the best was dual cumming

?!?!?!??!DUAL PENIS CUMMING?!?!?!??!?!?!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
:rolleyes: prior art

rotor posted:

I saw shelley on arsenio and she did the cherry stem thing irl and I literally doublecame

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

JawnV6 posted:

:rolleyes: prior art

not rly, he's referencing an old and semi obscure (now) gbs thread

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

im working on a new kickstarter competitor called GoFundYourself!

u can use it as the answer to when kickstarter refuses to let you have a kickstarter or you otherwise are having trouble raising capital to fund your awesome idea!

when u can't raise money, just imagine someone telling you 'GoFundYourself!' and u'll have the answer to your money needs.
sounds awesome, do you have a kickstarter i can donate to

Milkie Galore posted:

ian do u even lift

Pierogi posted:

God says
lol @ these

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Milkie Galore posted:

Ian have you heard of Bit Coins? They're an interesting investment opportunity you might like to get in on the ground floor of

just deposited the down payment for my new house thanks to bitcoins

thanks, bitcoins

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Cryin Burnigan posted:

Ian academia has a very stringent vetting process for publishing data and it is highly frowned upon to release data without it being vetted. Some college professors and PhDs aren't going to finish up their paper on some obscure theory and then just throw it up on your website before it goes into Nature or something else. Even if you could somehow get people to publish to your site you lose the one thing that existing publications have and that is the knowledge of its user base. I don't want some 30 year old nerd editing a paper I have spent the last 7 years researching because he thinks he knows a way to make my data look more appealing or he thinks he knows the subject better.

As it is right now Wikipedia, with its massive circlejerk of bureaucracy, has trouble getting actual professionals to edit things on the site and then to hold that informed opinion over someone who just finished editing Naruto in Popular Culture. A site with just numbers and not the associated information describing those numbers(like the 200 page paper that goes with it) will devolve into editing wars and incorrect interpretations of data.

Data is only good when it is interpreted correctly otherwise it is useless and I would say detrimental. Do you really want people citing a source they don't understand? And your idea doesn't make the data easier to understand it makes it easier to remove the data from the theory and then interpret it in your own wrong way.

please stop trolling

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

plz share your shrooms w/ the rest of the class

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Ian is your real name Ian or is that just short for Brian?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

'breean'

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

ian i had a really neat idea
i think it's that your project name suks
here's a better one: factler.

it's got facts! and 'ler is a cute diminutive fresh for web 4.0

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
:stat:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Resplendent Spiral posted:

ian i had a really neat idea
i think it's that your project name suks
here's a better one: factler.

it's got facts! and 'ler is a cute diminutive fresh for web 4.0

factlr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

tbh factr would be an ace name for a web 2.0 site based on statistics, if only somebody had some kind of concept to hang the name on...

• Locked thread