Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

We're all devs here, no need to pile onto another and rag on him. He's a nice guy, he's just really attached to his game (which amounts to "a peaceful reskin of a gameplay type that I've seen a billion times on Flash portals").

As it happens, a lot of the developers saying unfortunately vitriolic things about Greenlight users are similar - devs that have gotten really hung up on their projects. We need more career guides on the importance of "drowning your babies" in game dev, or something.

I don't think it's so much "Drowning your babies" as "Don't argue with criticism".

Actually as a general rule it's probably a good idea not to respond to any sort of feedback, positive or negative, with anything beyond maybe acknowledging their input. Responding only to praise makes it look like you're just ignoring criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Not to hero worship them further, but I think Valve handles this stuff the best. They acknowledge legitimate criticism, especially when they act on it. They'll often say things like "Well fans said this, and that surprised us because it is totally valid for these reasons" and then they list the reasons they found from internally analyzing WHY the criticism was being said.

Straight up bad or useless criticism they just ignore.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Shalinor posted:

We're all devs here, no need to pile onto another and rag on him. He's a nice guy, he's just really attached to his game (which amounts to "a peaceful reskin of a gameplay type that I've seen a billion times on Flash portals").

As it happens, a lot of the developers saying unfortunately vitriolic things about Greenlight users are similar - devs that have gotten really hung up on their projects. We need more career guides on the importance of "drowning your babies" in game dev, or something.

Complete tangent, but as I've spent far too much time(time better spent sleeping, god drat) in the past few weeks arguing online about reproductive rights, the phrase "drowning your babies" made me sit up and go 'WHA- oh poo poo right' :v:

Also, this is true. Just because you made a game doesn't mean it is immune from any kind of criticism whatsoever THE PRECIOUS BABIES.

My sleep-deprived brain is starting to run this all together a bit much now so I'll stop there.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Shalinor posted:

We're all devs here, no need to pile onto another and rag on him.

Actually I just took your last comment in isolation, I didn't reed gud enuf to know you were referring to someone in particular. v:v:v

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Shalinor posted:

While this is true and necessary (and learning to recognize why your baby needs to die is even more important), it is also true that most gamers are horrible assholes when talking about games. This doesn't mean it's okay to engage them on that level, of course, but since we're all basically gamers first and we all come from this rear end in a top hat environment, it's really easy to reply in kind. It's how we're used to having any sort of discussion.

The goal is to be able to filter out the spew from the few nuggets of valid thought without taking anything personally. It's even better if you can turn vitriol into an actual discussion. Damned if I can do that yet, but it's something to strive for.

Anyway. The important thing is to drown babies and smile when you do it, and it is vital for someone to name a GDC panel that.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A few media relations tips:

If you receive negative attention in a comments or forum thread or through social media, do not respond to those comments, but do answer reasonable questions with reasonable answers. Avoid damage control. Focus on engaging and informing your publics, but be aware that prospective customers will judge you by how you handle criticism as well as how you answer questions and address concerns in the midst of critics.

If you receive negative coverage in a review, do not respond to the review, but do offer to be interviewed. Reviews typically aren't personal; they're content -- just like interviews -- and media, bloggers, and other influencers will appreciate the opportunity to generate more content for their outlets.

If you are asked leading questions in an interview, do not respond to the nature of the interview, but do stay on message and answer the questions that should have been asked. The interviewer may retain his/her questions to show how you avoided answering them, but your answers will have already successfully communicated your key messages. If your answers are particularly powerful, the interviewer will change his/her questions to match your answers prior to publication for the sake of appearances.

If you are asked a question you do not want to answer, do not answer "no comment." When you answer "no comment," you give up control and you provide media, bloggers, and other influencers with the opportunity to control your message with their context. They may not put words in your mouth, but they can publish quotes and background that place either your story or your silence in an unfavorable light. Never waste an opportunity to communicate your key messages or address concerns.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 5, 2012

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Adraeus posted:

If you are asked a question you do not want to answer, do not answer "no comment." When you answer "no comment," you give up control and you provide media, bloggers, and other influencers with the opportunity to control your message with their context. They may not put words in your mouth, but they can publish quotes and background that place either your story or your silence in an unfavorable light. Never waste an opportunity to communicate your key messages or address concerns.

Can you elaborate on this, please? I'm having a hard time imagining how this should work in practice.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Can you tell us why you fired your lead designer a month before the game went gold?:

A) No comment.

B) Having a strong, committed team is very important to us as a company, and doubly important when finishing up a game that our team has put so much time and effort in to. For privacy reasons, we can't comment on any event, but we feel that [game] is going to be exciting for everyone.

blah blah blah, it's not that hard.

Why was the guy fired? The game is going to be fun, we worked really hard on it!

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

Having a strong, committed team is very important to us as a company, and doubly important when finishing up a game that our team has put so much time and effort in to. For privacy reasons, we can't comment on any event, but we feel that [game] is going to be exciting for everyone.
You'll want to stick to the SECS model to create a nice sound bite: Statement, Example, Conclusion, and then Shut up. You can have up to three examples that support your initial statement, and then quickly wrap up with what you want the audience to take away. This model was described to me by a former CNN bureau chief who has conducted live interviews with tens of thousands of people and who now coaches executives on how to work successfully with the media. Keeping SECS short is incredibly important for broadcast interviews where you typically have seconds to make your point. You can be somewhat more verbose with written interviews, but you should keep your answers brief to maintain the attention of readers.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

Adraeus posted:

You'll want to stick to the SECS model to create a nice sound bite: Statement, Example, Conclusion, and then Shut up. You can have up to three examples that support your initial statement, and then quickly wrap up with what you want the audience to take away. This model was described to me by a former CNN bureau chief who has conducted live interviews with tens of thousands of people and who now coaches executives on how to work successfully with the media. Keeping SECS short is incredibly important for broadcast interviews where you typically have seconds to make your point. You can be somewhat more verbose with written interviews, but you should keep your answers brief to maintain the attention of readers.

That's a very good model for answering interview questions as well!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

We're all devs here, no need to pile onto another and rag on him.
In most cases that's true, but I think everyone will agree that you probably shouldn't demand a 100 question purity test from your female employee. Sorry for kotaku but it's mostly a summary article from the lawsuit, which you can dig through if you like.

The first court case was against Stardock for Elemental; this time it's sexual harassment! :allears:

Edit: please don't ever say anything like this:

quote:

I'm not some manager or coworker of yours. I own the company. It, and your job there, exist to suit my purposes, not vice versa. The company is not an end unto itself, it is a means to an end which is to further the objectives of its shareholders (in this case, me).

Edit2: IT DOESN'T STOP! He took to a message board (always a good idea!) to refute the article while both the lawsuits are on-going! BRILLIANT!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 6, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Bhodi posted:

In most cases that's true, but I think everyone will agree that you probably shouldn't demand a 100 question purity test from your female employee. Sorry for kotaku but it's mostly a summary article from the lawsuit, which you can dig through if you like.

The first court case was against Stardock for Elemental; this time it's sexual harassment! :allears:

Edit: please don't ever say anything like this:

Well that's easily the most infuriating thing I've read today.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

quote:

After discovery, Wardell's attorneys filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit. The motion for summary dismissal, just over 250 pages long, lays out Wardell's case that the allegations are untrue and that, even if they were, they do not constitute harassment under the law:

Oh Kotaku, never fail to get the law wrong. Neither a motion to dismiss nor a motion for summary judgment, involves the truth or untruth of allegations. There is no such thing as a motion for summary dismissal. It's either a motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim, or a motion for summary judgment (in this court, "disposition", which is a ruling, not a dismissal. There is a MAJOR difference between the two.

On another topic, I know many judges who would outright reject a 250 page motion on principle.

Semi-related, remember when Stardock tried to put out that "Gamers Bill of Rights" along with Gas Powered Games....? Funny how both Demigod and Elemental were nigh-unplayable.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 6, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
People miss so many easter eggs :( Its really interesting seeing what the public picks up on. Makes me wonder how many easter eggs and in jokes haven't been caught in every game.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

People miss so many easter eggs :( Its really interesting seeing what the public picks up on. Makes me wonder how many easter eggs and in jokes haven't been caught in every game.

Yeah, I wonder about that too, but I wouldn't want to reveal any since that'd spoil the whole thing. Plus companies seem to be pretty anti easter egg these days, so it's usually not worth it to do anything big.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had a client in the defense industry whose president e-mailed many, many megabytes worth of mostly adult jokes every day to all of his employees, bosses, customers, etc. Every day for more than a decade. He's consulting now and continues to send out those e-mails to former employees and other contacts.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Adraeus posted:

I had a client in the defense industry whose president e-mailed many, many megabytes worth of mostly adult jokes every day to all of his employees, bosses, customers, etc. Every day for more than a decade. He's consulting now and continues to send out those e-mails to former employees and other contacts.

I would think even if legal never talked to him the IT department would. Nobody likes it when someone uses "Send to All" for ANYTHING.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Adraeus posted:

This isn't that uncommon at small studios. It's actually one of the things I find most frustrating about the law surrounding harassment. It feels like there should be an adult, simple way of handling "the off topic list with the raunchy jokes" without offending anyone, but it never works out that way. Someone ends up quietly offended, and unwilling to mention it to anyone, and then it explodes.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
When I was working at Airbus, we would photoshop each other's face onto stupid internet pics or gifs all day long. At some point, someone sent a such a picture using "Send As" from a manager name, as a joke. Another guy in the team replied to it and said manager thus received the whole thread. Oh man, what a shitstorm this created.:v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

This isn't that uncommon at small studios. It's actually one of the things I find most frustrating about the law surrounding harassment. It feels like there should be an adult, simple way of handling "the off topic list with the raunchy jokes" without offending anyone, but it never works out that way. Someone ends up quietly offended, and unwilling to mention it to anyone, and then it explodes.

Join at your own risk mailing list?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Senso posted:

Another guy in the team replied to it and said manager thus received the whole thread. Oh man, what a shitstorm this created.
My dad, an engineer and facility GM, created a chart based on reply-to-all e-mail chains to determine the flow of messages as progress on a major contract had slowed. The chart illustrated that an individual in the accounting department had become a black hole into which no messages would return. He sent this chart out to the entire company. Needless to say, that individual was not pleased.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

Join at your own risk mailing list?
Doesn't work. You can make a convincing argument that the mere presence of that list creates a social pressure to join that list, lest you be marginalized by the community that enjoys the list. It can sort of work if the owner and leadership are not involved, but if they are? It does create a sort of culture unto itself.

Personally, I have no issue with this. I'm not shy, and I'll just politely say so if something offends me. You hire the wrong sort of shy person, though? More prone to resolving their disputes passive aggressively, or that is intimidated by the leadership involved in said list? You've got a really, really big problem if they get offended by that.

(This is precisely what happened at my old studio. The Off Topic list was like the phoenix, dying off in flames whenever someone got offended, rising back up once attention had been focused elsewhere, each time a shadow of its former self. What started as a place where people made really, really off-color jokes ended as a place mostly for kitten posting and intra-office memes.)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 7, 2012

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Some of the dudes on my art team find it absolutely hilarious to replace people's desktop wallpapers with pictures of naked dudes/thong-clad crotches, and I think my eyes are going to roll right out of my head before long...

Oh, and they draw penises all over each other's birthday cards. It's... yeah. I have complained quietly to our manager, but nothing changes.

It's not that I'm offended by nudity or penises(although the homophobic overtones are a bit worrisome) but man, I like to feel like I work with adults instead of teenage boys you know?

floofyscorp fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 7, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
poo poo like that is why I'm glad that almost everyone else at our place has family and kids and as a result is a touch more mature. We don't really have any manchildren at all. :)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I dunno, man. Sometimes things can get pretty blue.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
All my company has is a mailing list with memes. It is almost exclusively populated by our senior engineers :stare:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I forward my senior programmer friend the best catte gifs from the thread in PYF. He sets the urls as his work IM chat status and now has a cult following of all the junior coders. Yesterday's example was:

"Dashboard UAT testing! http://i.minus.com/iM0NBqbDTrtrb.gif"

Which he explained as "We built them what they asked for and now they are trying to fit into it"

Earlier this week, it was "requirement change http://i.imgur.com/LhxOW.gif"

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

Some of the dudes on my art team find it absolutely hilarious to replace people's desktop wallpapers with pictures of naked dudes/thong-clad crotches, and I think my eyes are going to roll right out of my head before long...

I can only imagine. Have you said anything to them? No matter how immature they are, when confronted with their childishness they'll respond accordingly and shape up right? :ohdear:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
And now for an interesting headline.

quote:

Scotland's games industry adds 'no value' suggests study
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-19517306

A government report has claimed that the Scottish computer games industry adds nothing to the country's economy.

The Economic Contribution Study for Scotland's Creative industries, using data from 2010, said the sector brought a Gross Value Added (GVA) of £0.

TIGA, which represents the UK games industry, has criticised the report which was commissioned by Creative Scotland and Scottish Enterprise...

Oh...

So pretty much a couple government organisations didn't do their homework properly, and told everyone pac man was a waste of time. :shepface:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

floofyscorp posted:

Oh, and they draw penises all over each other's birthday cards. It's... yeah. I have complained quietly to our manager, but nothing changes.

It's not that I'm offended by nudity or penises(although the homophobic overtones are a bit worrisome) but man, I like to feel like I work with adults instead of teenage boys you know?

The worst it's ever gotten here is an ongoing prank war which consists of exactly one prank:

"Put clear tape over the mouse sensor eye"

Every now and then you'll come back to your desk and wonder why your mouse isn't responding and then realize you've just been had.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

MustardFacial posted:

The worst it's ever gotten here is an ongoing prank war which consists of exactly one prank:

"Put clear tape over the mouse sensor eye"

Every now and then you'll come back to your desk and wonder why your mouse isn't responding and then realize you've just been had.
I think drinking culture has a big part in how strange your studio's pranks et al get.

For instance. I know of a studio at which they had a holiday party. During this party where everyone got drunk, one of the senior management hot-wired and stole a backhoe. The founder tore out the back door and said "Hey, I want a ride!". And so they spent the evening joyriding in a stolen backhoe, and eventually returned it.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

floofyscorp posted:

There are devs out there who are proud to be unprofessional and try bring their own stunted personal development into the studio office culture. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it, short of applying your talents to another line of work.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
Sucker Punch is the most well run game developer I've worked for. I find it difficult to consider moving elsewhere without leaving games since most studios have a ridiculous level of BS - regular "mandatory" crunch (not due to one's own mistakes), nepotism or just plain run by assholes applies to so many companies it is kind of sickening.

We're also hiring http://www.suckerpunch.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=91

Yes this post is a shameless plug.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 8, 2012

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Would love to work there, but alas no Character Artist positions listed :[

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jaytan posted:

Sucker Punch is the most well run game developer I've worked for. I find it difficult to consider moving elsewhere without leaving games since most studios have a ridiculous level of BS - regular "mandatory" crunch (not due to one's own mistakes), nepotism or just plain run by assholes applies to so many companies it is kind of sickening.

We're also hiring http://www.suckerpunch.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=91

The programming test required is apparently the same I did for Eidos. I'm going to take my answers and send a joke job application. You will never figure out which it is! :v:

Porksword
Feb 9, 2009
Just got my month's notice from Climax. Not because I smell or suck at animating but due to lack of work. If anyone's in need of a 3d animator please don't hesitate to get in touch, can show you my works.

Porksword fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 23, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/11/technology/digital-domain-bankrupt/index.html?source=cnn_bin

Going to be a hell of a lot more competitive in the animation field for awhile.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jaytan posted:

I won't have time to apply to this for a few days, but the programming test looks like a very fun problem. More companies with programming openings should ask for a test as the initial part of the application.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Anyone else doing Extra Life this year? It was really fun last year and I can't wait to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Bongo Bill posted:

I won't have time to apply to this for a few days, but the programming test looks like a very fun problem. More companies with programming openings should ask for a test as the initial part of the application.

I really like the problem because it isn't super involved the way some programming tests are, and that makes it pretty great at avoiding wasting either the candidates time or ours. As I understand, anyone who gets to a decent solution gets a phone interview, but plenty of people get binned for failing to follow the instructions.

We still reject 80%+ of the programming candidates we bring onsite which makes me think our process could be better.