Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

quote:

In 1957, Avedon was commissioned to take a portrait of the couple, who were notoriously photo-savvy — way ahead of the curve of today’s paparazzi-beleaguered movie stars and royals. Knowing that they were dog lovers, obsessed with their own collection of pugs, Avedon is said to have told them that the taxi he had taken to meet them had run over a dog (which wasn’t true). The couple grimaced sympathetically, and — snap! — Avedon took the picture, which is on view in “Richard Avedon: Photographer of Influence” at the Nassau County Museum of Art in Roslyn Harbor.

The photograph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Those 2 were loving assholes anyway.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Ha! Amazing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That reminds me I have to go light a candle at my Richard Avedon altar (peace be unto him).

He's so great :allears:

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I got to do a pretty cool shoot this weekend with two dancers. We didn't get nearly as much time to shoot as I would have liked, but I did get this shot that I'm pretty happy with.

model: Aurora Black

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Gazmachine posted:

Thanks. I was slightly worried I got a smidge too close on the first one and distorted her face a little: I may have been better off switching back to the 85. She seems less round-faced in the second shot.

Although the stills thing is an idea I'm looking to experiment with a bit more, I'm mainly using it as a means of getting movement into the shoot and removing awkwardness. I remember McMadCow mentioning this as an important way of removing stiffness and awkwardness from ports. It's something that's so bloody obvious when you think about it but needed spelling out to me.

EDIT: That isn't to say "yeah but I wasn't really going for movie stills" because I was, and I didn't get it right. Just realised that might have come across as "yeah well I meant to do that".

EDIT 2: The other two.

Particularly interested in thoughts on the second one, as I have done pretty much zero female posing. I tried to keep it loose with a couple of minor rules.

I really like both of these, especially the second. There's something lovely about her pose there; it's stiff, but not unnatural at all.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Meeting in a friend's studio + some remaining frames on a roll of Astia = headshots!

Jun by alkanphel, on Flickr

ABC by alkanphel, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I love those. It feels nice. It's nice.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

bisticles posted:

I got to do a pretty cool shoot this weekend with two dancers. We didn't get nearly as much time to shoot as I would have liked, but I did get this shot that I'm pretty happy with.

model: Aurora Black

Love the single point perspective in this, works really well with the leading lines in the tiles.

I took a portrait today that I'm really loving happy with so please knock me down a peg or 3 before I start thinking I'm some kind of pro.

(Sorry for the watermark, it's on there for facebook self promotion)

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

AceClown posted:

Love the single point perspective in this, works really well with the leading lines in the tiles.

I took a portrait today that I'm really loving happy with so please knock me down a peg or 3 before I start thinking I'm some kind of pro.

I like it! The skin, especially her face, seems a bit overexposed but the rest of the picture is awesome. She has great eyes and you've separated the neck from the chin line which is always awesome.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AceClown posted:

Her face is a bit smudgy you could probably even out the consistency

The hair is a mess, what's going on with the strand peeping over her left shoulder, on the other side there looks like a strand clumped off. There's good messy hair and bad. This one isn't great because it looks like it's trying to be styled.

Why a square crop? What is your reason behind it?

Shooting at a slight down angle has made her neck disappear.

Sorry if that was more pegs than three! It's a good start. If it's little things that are the issues you're on the right track.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Thoughts?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I like them, but that watermark :stare:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

AceClown posted:

I really like this, but it's a bit overexposed for sure. You can easily fix this though, it's not completely blown out. I really love her expression and the eyes. The hair is definitely messy, you can fix this in post as well, a lot of selections, cloning, and liquify would do wonders. It's a great start though. :)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

somnambulist posted:

I like them, but that watermark :stare:

I know... I know. :( It's on there for Facebook marketing purposes. I'm trying to get in contact with a graphic designer to overhaul my "brand" and website.

edit: few more, this time from flickr and so no watermark

flickr

dakana fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 12, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

dakana posted:

Thoughts?

I like them, first one the posture makes her seem a little stiff / uncomfortable tho, especially because of her shoulders going way up.

Small derail but I don't understand the need for watermarks in facebook pictures. Never used it still get business.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

xenilk posted:

I like them, first one the posture makes her seem a little stiff / uncomfortable tho, especially because of her shoulders going way up.

Small derail but I don't understand the need for watermarks in facebook pictures. Never used it still get business.

Ah, I definitely see what you mean. The railing was a bit high, for sure.

Also, word? I'm not married to the idea of branding Facebook photos. I mean, I guess I don't REALLY need to since I'm posting them from my photography Facebook page. People'll still see "so and so shared Kneer Photography's photo". The only time I wouldn't be as visible would be when people make something their profile picture.

I'm still kicking it around. Maybe if I get a mark that isn't hideous it'd be better. I am not a designer.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
My brother ran in the Dirty Dash with his wife and a couple of their friends. 3 miles with an obstacle course, mud & water. I only got the start and finish - had to watch the kids.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
A bit of a cliche, but I like it. He's a model friend who wanted a shoot for celebrating two years sober.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

A bit of a cliche, but I like it. He's a model friend who wanted a shoot for celebrating two years sober.

I think it's a very cool concept when you know the context. Very well done too.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Cyberbob posted:

Concept is great, composition is a little unbalanced though, reading left->right I have this bigass empty space to trawl through before I hit the meat of the photograph.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

XTimmy posted:

Concept is great, composition is a little unbalanced though, reading left->right I have this bigass empty space to trawl through before I hit the meat of the photograph.

I don't think it would make sense the other way around tho.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

XTimmy posted:

Yea, we couldnt decide between two crops. Theres that full one, and one cropped up to his collar (same aspect ratio), so its just enough space for both heads.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I like it with the empty space, kind of draws attention to it, like as if the ghost is the spirit of his past, and the empty space represents his future without that.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm sad this thread is on page 2. Bumping this with some portraits :woop:

Jessica by francography, on Flickr

david1 by francography, on Flickr

david2 by francography, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

somnambulist posted:

I'm sad this thread is on page 2. Bumping this with some portraits :woop:

david1 by francography, on Flickr

david2 by francography, on Flickr

I always enjoy your portraits. Is that some subtle split toning? It looks very nice.

To nitpick, the background on the second looks like it is gradienting, most obviously with a line about eye level. Great expressions, though.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Mercedes by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Mercedes by xxyzx road, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Her face in the first one is a strange color. Looks really yellow compared to the rest of her skin

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

CarrotFlowers posted:

Her face in the first one is a strange color. Looks really yellow compared to the rest of her skin

Thanks. Yeah unfortunately there was a strong reflection from the grass in front of her.

I tried to fix it here:

MercedesFix by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Better?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mucking around outdoors at night with my friend's Olympus toy model.

Olympus Model 1 by alkanphel, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Thanks. Yeah unfortunately there was a strong reflection from the grass in front of her.

I tried to fix it here:

MercedesFix by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Better?

Yeah looks much better to me.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

dakana posted:

I always enjoy your portraits. Is that some subtle split toning? It looks very nice.

To nitpick, the background on the second looks like it is gradienting, most obviously with a line about eye level. Great expressions, though.

Thanks :) No split toning, just a bg light with a gel. I'm still learning how to use a bg light, you're right- it's not very even.

I spent a little more time in post on this one:

gavin by francography, on Flickr

Maybe I went a little overboard on this one, but I was bored and wanted to play around a bit.

jessica by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 24, 2012

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
oops, wrong thread.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

somnambulist posted:

Thanks :) No split toning, just a bg light with a gel. I'm still learning how to use a bg light, you're right- it's not very even.

I spent a little more time in post on this one:

gavin by francography, on Flickr

Maybe I went a little overboard on this one, but I was bored and wanted to play around a bit.

jessica by francography, on Flickr

I was about to say that you tight cropped those pictures but then you posted these and it's all good :)

These are great! I agree that the second version is better tho, the skin was green-ish before. Solid work!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So I work for a portrait studio called Picture People. They recently had a photo contest for the summer and one of my photos made it to the finals. Liking the image means you placed a vote for it. I would really appreciate help with the contest as I get a pretty big bonus for winning. And as always, if you would like to critique it go for it (post here, not on facebook). It is one of the better sittings I've had since I started working there 3 months ago and would love to see how I could improve.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151259102886804&set=a.10151250267901804.519519.121599011803&type=3&theater

Edit: Also click if you want to see the world's happiest baby.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 24, 2012

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 16, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I've been back and forth between this pic and Ms. Boo from Middlesbrough way trying to decide if its a real small world and she's gone au naturel with the hair and piercings, or if she just has a doppelganger :eek:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Shot sone goons. Makes me really ready for fall:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
That guy is really hot. And no, I haven't suddenly gone all PIMM- he's sweating from his pits and you can see it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I love the background but he's squinting his eyes and the frames of her glasses are sort of cutting across her eyes so I've rather lost eye contact with the pair of them.
They also both look a bit forced in the pose department, her mouth for instance. Not sure what's going on there.

But the background is making me jealous.