Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Finally opened my New Glarus Raspberry Tart over the weekend, in celebration of the return of NFL football, and now I'm sad because the Panthers lost badly and I don't have any more Raspberry Tart. It was so, so good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Splizwarf posted:

I have found the best places for this are brewpubs. Downside is the only thing you're getting is that brewery's beer. Upside is presumably you picked a good brewery, so that's not problem?

In my experience, the best places are suburban family restaurants that have ridiculously good lists and even beer nerds ignore them because there's kids and most people are drinking Miller Lite!

Modern Automaton
Sep 22, 2006
Dubiously Retarded

rage-saq posted:

Where in AZ?

Tempe.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

It's an OK place and they have very good food and beer selection, but (a) they're very hipster (b) they're expensive -- most beer starts at $6 and they do stuff like sell smaller glasses of fancier beer than necessary given the ABV and trying to sell that for what other joints charge for a full pint.

This is the only thing I dislike about The Mayor of Old Town here in Fort Collins. They often do very small pours on stuff that's not high ABV or even that rare, and jack up the price to match. They have an outstanding selection, take care of their beer lines and the staff are well trained, which I really appreciate. If I'm getting a glass of Parabola or a Belgian geuze or something, I expect to pay a premium and receive a small pour. But gently caress you for charging $8 for 10 oz of a random IPA I can buy by the 6 pack in any liquor store.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I'm drinking a Stillwater As Follows right now, and ew, this beer tastes and smells like straight up peanut shells. This is probably my 3rd beer ever that has tasted just like this, has anyone experienced this before?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Found an article a friend posted on Facebook about 3 Floyds. Looks like the food is going to be getting better!

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=resources%2Flifestyle_community%2Ffood%2Frestaurants&id=8803296

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

air- posted:

To me, those types are the ones who have zero desire to learn anything about craft beer, yet they form hordes within a "popular upscale" beer bar (think Hay Merchant, Churchkey type places- especially this loving bar) mostly for scene cred. It's cool to be into beer and they wanna be part of the fun before moving into the next hip thing. Myself, I could care less about the atmosphere where I drink. You have places like Tony's Darts Away or Toronado which aren't exactly the nicest, but at least having a pint there means higher likelihood of being around people who genuinely like beer.

Toronado's atmosphere is 1/2 the reason anyone goes there if they aren't tourists.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

ShaneB posted:

Toronado's atmosphere is 1/2 the reason anyone goes there if they aren't tourists.

gently caress Toronado. At least the one in SF. The one in SD is cool though.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm drinking a Stillwater As Follows right now, and ew, this beer tastes and smells like straight up peanut shells. This is probably my 3rd beer ever that has tasted just like this, has anyone experienced this before?

i've had it a few times, including this past weekend, and never noticed anything like that.

air-, my boy who works at a bottle shop said that the distributor (Hop and Wine?) who carries Tilquin still has a bunch in stock, so you should be able to find some more. seems to be real easy to find for a month or two out of the year down here, then it goes back into hiding.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I opened a bottle of Autumn Maple tonight by myself, because I thought 'what the hell'. Kind of disappointed I opened it without a drinking buddy, super hard to drink all of it.

Definitely a bit too sweet to drink more than 10 oz of, but I'm hoping to power through it. I really enjoy yams so this beer is delicious, but I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy it as much after another glass. Yikes!

e: After drinking more of this beer, I can't help but think that I'm not going to enjoy Christmas Ale by GLBC anymore at all. It used to be one of my favorite beers before I got big into craft beer, but Autumn Maple's cinnamon is overpowering to me, and I feel like Christmas Ale has even more cinnamon in it.

I really wish we got more beer from The Bruery in OH. We always seem to get their one-off stuff like this. I'd really love to try one of their Stouts, but I know they will never ever make it to OH. The only other beer I've tried from them is Saison du Lente which was really spectacular, and was the first time I had tried a Saison.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 12, 2012

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

gently caress Toronado. At least the one in SF. The one in SD is cool though.

Whats wrong with the Toronado? I love that place, definitely one of my top 5 bay area bars.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Whats wrong with the Toronado? I love that place, definitely one of my top 5 bay area bars.

It's extremely hit or miss depending on how the bartenders decide (and hell, if they decide) to provide you service. I am all about shithole places with good beer, but I think lucked out and didn't hit it on a busy night.

Good to hear on the Tilquin, funkybottoms. I am probably gonna put together a box of 750's for friends in TX who demand it.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Does anyone know how much Heady Topper sells for? This ridiculous place near me is selling it for $25 / 4 pack or $10 per can, and I'm sure that's absolutely wrong.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

RiggenBlaque posted:

Does anyone know how much Heady Topper sells for? This ridiculous place near me is selling it for $25 / 4 pack or $10 per can, and I'm sure that's absolutely wrong.

I bought it for $12 from the brewery I think. Local stores had it for 12.99.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Kudosx posted:

e: After drinking more of this beer, I can't help but think that I'm not going to enjoy Christmas Ale by GLBC anymore at all. It used to be one of my favorite beers before I got big into craft beer, but Autumn Maple's cinnamon is overpowering to me, and I feel like Christmas Ale has even more cinnamon in it.

I've gotten perpetually more grossed out by most seasonal spiced beers in general. I can't stand punkin and pumking anymore. Christmas Ale is vaguely acceptable, but the tons of spice I always perceive as cloying regardless of mouthfeel and sugareyness.

They always seem overdone to the point of popular perception with a total lack of subtlety. It's a "hey, this loving beer has INCREDIBLE amounts of spices that people associate with _______ BUY IT AND RAVE ABOUT IT" race.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
On the other hand, really loving the mellow spicing in Woodchuck Fall.

:tipshat: to whomever recommended Harpoon UFO Pumpkin btw, took a while to find but it's much smoother and more subtle than the usual pumpkin fare.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

You know, everything I've heard about Oregon and beer is true. My walking-distance beer bar here in Bend has 16 taps and six or seven of them are Oregon IPAs from places I never heard of. I'm not sure I have enough of an IPA palate to tell one from the other very well.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 13, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'm at a BCBS tapping event in Chicago, and the bar has a "$2 craft mystery bucket" which I decided to tempt fate with while I bide my time until 8pm. Got a great divide hibernation out of it. This could be the best bar ever.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

RiggenBlaque posted:

Had a buddy do a $4$ trade and it was $12 + tax straight from the brewery.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So... its been awhile since I posted here, but I'm definitely still in the game..

Questions :

Local bottle shop got in the Lost Abbey Red Poppy and Betta Bretta(or whatever it is) for $25/bottle. Is that worth the price?

I also got lucky and by accident purchased a case of Southern Tier 2x Stout. Had one tonight, and I really like it. IT's not as good as the Lancaster County Milk Stout, or even the Left Hand, but it's really solid at >$40/case.

Also got to try Evil Genius Trick or Treat, and Spring House Braaaaaiiinns!! pumpkin ale. Spring House was a stright Pumpkin ale, reminded me very much of Pumpkin Pie... and Evil Genius was a chocolate pumpkin porter which was, honestly, downright amazing.

What are this year's must have pumpkins?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Vertigo posted:

So... its been awhile since I posted here, but I'm definitely still in the game..

Questions :

Local bottle shop got in the Lost Abbey Red Poppy and Betta Bretta(or whatever it is) for $25/bottle. Is that worth the price?

I also got lucky and by accident purchased a case of Southern Tier 2x Stout. Had one tonight, and I really like it. IT's not as good as the Lancaster County Milk Stout, or even the Left Hand, but it's really solid at >$40/case.

Also got to try Evil Genius Trick or Treat, and Spring House Braaaaaiiinns!! pumpkin ale. Spring House was a stright Pumpkin ale, reminded me very much of Pumpkin Pie... and Evil Genius was a chocolate pumpkin porter which was, honestly, downright amazing.

What are this year's must have pumpkins?

Poppy and bretta are both excessive gouge level. Poppy goes for around 15/375 (already very expensive) and bretta I think is around 9-10 when I've seen it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Vertigo posted:

Questions :

Lost Abbey premium 375mls are supposed to be $12-18, so you are getting jacked.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

I'm at a BCBS tapping event in Chicago

Where was this? Twisted Spoke tapped last night. I'll be there tomorrow for the Bears game, but I'm doubting it's still around. Also, rumor has it '12 is bottled...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Where was this? Twisted Spoke tapped last night. I'll be there tomorrow for the Bears game, but I'm doubting it's still around. Also, rumor has it '12 is bottled...

Fischmans in jefferson park. $7/6oz pour. Was still on tap when I left, but I wouldn't be surprised if it kicked in the next 30 minutes. From what I heard, twisted spoke still had some but I doubt it'll last the night. Do let me know if they still have bottles of rare...

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Splizwarf posted:

On the other hand, really loving the mellow spicing in Woodchuck Fall.

:tipshat: to whomever recommended Harpoon UFO Pumpkin btw, took a while to find but it's much smoother and more subtle than the usual pumpkin fare.

Glad you like it! I've been trying a bunch this year and i gotta say; harpoon's unfiltered is probably the least gimmicky and best realized of the lot.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

You know, everything I've heard about Oregon and beer is true. My walking-distance beer bar here in Bend has 16 taps and six or seven of them are Oregon IPAs from places I never heard of. I'm not sure I have enough of an IPA palate to tell one from the other very well.

Drink lots of Boneyard while you are in Bend.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Fischmans in jefferson park. $7/6oz pour. Was still on tap when I left, but I wouldn't be surprised if it kicked in the next 30 minutes. From what I heard, twisted spoke still had some but I doubt it'll last the night. Do let me know if they still have bottles of rare...

Their bottle selection changes pretty much daily. Everything is really well priced (BCSV for $30 a while back; '08 BCS for $16 a bottle) but it's basically whatever they pull out that day/week.

One of the underrated beer bars in Chicago.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Vertigo posted:

How do you accidentally purchase a case of a beer? I seem to remember you being in PA, so I get the case part, but still...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
And tonight I ran into the first Founders Breakfast Stouts of the year. Seriously a perfect beer.

Modern Automaton
Sep 22, 2006
Dubiously Retarded

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Drink lots of Boneyard while you are in Bend.

Seconding this. I had Hop Venom and Suge Knight while I was in Portland a few weeks ago and they were probably the highlight of the beers I had from Oregon. Boneyard is awesome.

Tapped our keg of NB/Alpine Super IPA tonight and immediately sold 10 pours to the dozen or so people in the bar at the end of the night. Wish we didn't just get a 1/6th barrel of the stuff. It's crack.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

How do you accidentally purchase a case of a beer? I seem to remember you being in PA, so I get the case part, but still...

I guess accidentally wasn't the word I wanted to use there.... kind of rushed that post.

I was pretty much just wandering around looking for something to buy, and decided on that based on the review I read on my phone while I was in the distributor.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

danbanana posted:

And tonight I ran into the first Founders Breakfast Stouts of the year. Seriously a perfect beer.

I can't wait, everyone in the house likes it. :dance:

Did you find it ahead of the distribution wave or should I head to the store tonight?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Went to a Sixpoint anniversary event last night. Impression of them is a lot more favorable now and in general, I'll seek them out more on tap. I've been a lot more into lighter, sessionable beer in general lately and I like the variety of styles they bring out.

Pretty impressed with P&K Middleton, an APA. Untappd has two names for it, but the rep said it's a draft-only house beer at Pub & Kitchen in Philadelphia. Has anyone else had it? Really fruity and sweet with a gentle bitterness and crisp finish. Just a simple session beer and very easy to drink like Apollo. All Magnum hops IIRC.

Spice of Life "Riwaka": first beer I've had using the Riwaka hop varietal. Apparently this has been gaining a cult following, even to where there are "NZPA" style beers now. Bold grapefruit flavor is accurate and had a sticky dank texture, and the flavor was bright, a little oily, with more tropical citrus instead of pine or resin. There's a kind of spicy flavor that reminded me of Thai chilis. To me, the bitterness seemed smoother than C hops.

It's sounding like some of Sixpoint's distributors have mishandled their beer too. I wasn't planning on having Brownstone last night, and the rep went around passing out tasters promoting the new cans. It was completely different on tap; far nuttier without overwhelming. Flavor's comparable to Duck Rabbit's, but not as good as Funky Buddha's brown. Side note: I had a buddy in Houston who was underwhelmed by Resin, but he'd also picked it up from a store shelf at room temperature. Petrol had it on tap and he liked it there too.

Munkaboo, Rustico has a Bruery tap event going on next weds. You down?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Splizwarf posted:

I can't wait, everyone in the house likes it. :dance:

Did you find it ahead of the distribution wave or should I head to the store tonight?

danbanana is in Chicago I think? FBS just hit in Michigan a week ago so I'd guess it's pretty fresh on the shelves there too.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

danbanana is in Chicago I think? FBS just hit in Michigan a week ago so I'd guess it's pretty fresh on the shelves there too.

Correct. My local shop just put it out in the last couple days. Grabbed a 4-pack last night and popped one open... I don't know if it's the freshness or just a good night, but the coffee hit much harder than I remember and it tasted even better than I remember.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Correct. My local shop just put it out in the last couple days. Grabbed a 4-pack last night and popped one open... I don't know if it's the freshness or just a good night, but the coffee hit much harder than I remember and it tasted even better than I remember.

Combine this, Nosferatu, and wet-hop ales, and this may be my favourite beer season.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
crazyfish, add this to your list of "awesome" right now:

"10 times as much will be available in Chicago"

Maybe this means more than one bottle for me this year...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

crazyfish, add this to your list of "awesome" right now:

"10 times as much will be available in Chicago"

Maybe this means more than one bottle for me this year...

The hunt begins. I still have my unopened four pack of 2011, and it mostly stayed unopened because I've been able to have enough on draft to satisfy my cravings. But I've been hankering to pair it with a cigar, and most bars wouldn't really be down with that...

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

air- posted:

Munkaboo, Rustico has a Bruery tap event going on next weds. You down?

I'm down but knowing Bruery it will probably be expensive as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

The hunt begins. I still have my unopened four pack of 2011, and it mostly stayed unopened because I've been able to have enough on draft to satisfy my cravings. But I've been hankering to pair it with a cigar, and most bars wouldn't really be down with that...

this place is right downtown and has a BYOB "smoking lounge" right next to it's shop. it's a $15 cover, but a bunch of us did it for a bachelor's party a few weeks ago and it's surprisingly awesome. the lounge has a small kitchen and fancy leather chairs and a TV and overlooks the El and basically makes you feel like a rich person from 1958. oh, the little people...