Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
I mainly think of Slaanesh as being about drugs and rock 'n roll. Maybe sex at first, but natural biological functions are just so vanilla, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Liesmith posted:

Because no one wants to think about wahams and sex. Not even other warhams. Hth

You're probably right.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Asehujiko posted:

I liked his re-imagining as being mainly about politics and controlling the wills of mortals and less about tentacle sex.

Isn't politics pretty much the domain of Tzeentch?

Slaanesh covers a ton of ground that isn't just sex, anyway. Basically anything relating to indulgence, vanity, or excess is his stuff. So if you're a fat goonham who stuffs his face with food? That's Slaanesh. Spend all your money on exquisite pieces of art? Slaanesh. Obsess about your appearance, reputation, or rank? Slaanesh!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Another aspect of Slaanesh that I think needs expansion is 'Perfection' and/or 'Perfectionism'. The artist who can't help but see the flaws in his masterpiece begs Slaanesh to make it even better. The gourmand who knows the perfect taste is out there somewhere, but cannot find it in the most exquisite dish appeals to the Prince of Excess. When a musician hears imperfections in the most delicate tone, only the whispers of She Who Thirsts can drown them out with perfection- or the paths to said perfection.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Wikipedia Brown posted:

You're probably right.

Hello old friend.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How do you guys deal with critical damage and healing when playing on the tabletop? Last session, two of my players got pretty hosed up, one in critical damage. RAW, he's healing 1 point a month which basically puts him out of the campaign (given in-game events will come to a head long before that). The other is heavily wounded but can function, he just has to not get hit again.

The player whose character is in crit is pretty emotionally invested in his character, so it feels cruel to make him sit out the rest of the action, but simply handwaving away horrific wounds feels cheap.

They sought medical attention, but I was generous with the time required to heal and number of wounds they got back.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, I guess it sort of depends on what the overall situation is. Like if there is some urgent thing going on (big ritual, assassination, whatever) that they need to stop (but can't now) then maybe you can switch gears - have them call in help and take on a strategic/planning role while mooks do the shooting? If they aren't in a position to get any help, then maybe you just have to let them fail here. What's the worst-case scenario? Maybe you just say they are in over their heads, and they take the information that they have and get out of dodge. Then your hook for the next adventure is fixing the fuckup.

How firm is the timeline? If there is some sort of hidden clock ticking, can you just stretch things out until they're able to participate? Obviously this doesn't work if you have already given them information in the game about when things will hit the fan.

It sounds like you really only have one character that is 'out'; can you talk to that player about this? Maybe just put his character on the shelf for the rest of this adventure and have him play a stand-in to finish things up, then have him come back for the next thing?

I will be honest, this is not something I usually have to deal with. Usually one of three things happen: 1) the characters manage to pull through everything ok; 2) someone gets beat up, but only during the big finale so they have the chance to recover; 3) the entire team is killed with no survivors.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

There have been hints that the BBEG's plan will go into effect within the week (in game time), but nothing concrete. He's planning a bombing, and they players have modified 2 of his bombs and detonated one of them, so he will need to build a new one and unfuck the ones he has, so there's some flexibility there.

I don't think these players see failure as an option, and to be honest I hadn't considered them just giving up. Everyone just kind of expects this thing to come to a head.

Initially, I offered up another character (I have pregens on hand for whatever) and he wasn't at all into that. He said he didn't want to play the finale with a character he hadn't invested in or developed and have his main character miss out. This is the same guy who's main character sat out the final confrontation in the Illumination campaign after taking several lasgun shots to the chest, so I can kind of see where he's coming from.

I keep trying to highlight that DH is a high-lethality game and that everyone will probably die a horrible bloody death at some point, but this guy seems legitimately sad when his character gets hurt. He's also said he only ever plays tech priests, so I suspect there's some attachment to past characters who are basically the same.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clanpot Shake posted:

There have been hints that the BBEG's plan will go into effect within the week (in game time), but nothing concrete. He's planning a bombing, and they players have modified 2 of his bombs and detonated one of them, so he will need to build a new one and unfuck the ones he has, so there's some flexibility there.

I don't think these players see failure as an option, and to be honest I hadn't considered them just giving up. Everyone just kind of expects this thing to come to a head.

Initially, I offered up another character (I have pregens on hand for whatever) and he wasn't at all into that. He said he didn't want to play the finale with a character he hadn't invested in or developed and have his main character miss out. This is the same guy who's main character sat out the final confrontation in the Illumination campaign after taking several lasgun shots to the chest, so I can kind of see where he's coming from.

I keep trying to highlight that DH is a high-lethality game and that everyone will probably die a horrible bloody death at some point, but this guy seems legitimately sad when his character gets hurt. He's also said he only ever plays tech priests, so I suspect there's some attachment to past characters who are basically the same.

Well I mean critical damage is pretty straightforward. You lose an arm, you gotta get a new, bionic arm. You get an instant death effect, you burn a fatepoint to survive it and get a bionic lung or something because your lungs got ripped out. If you're in the middle of stopping the Great Summoning or whatever then you let the guy power through with his fatepoint, maybe have the party medic give him first aid to get him back out of critical damage, but he's still pretty wounded and he's gonna need those innards replaced by tomorrow. If your guys are still investigating and time is less of a factor, then they lose some time getting him medical attention and saving his life, and you ramp the denouement a couple days closer, maybe have the cultists a little stronger or harder to find or the tiranid hive fleet lands or whatever.

Losing arms and poo poo should be awesome for a techpriest though, they love turning into robots. Critical damage is not something for roboman to be sad about, it's an opportunity to become even closer to a perfect immortal machine

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

He lost his nose.

He got an Austrian model welded on and started talking like the terminator (this gimmick was dropped in short order).

Maybe it's a problem with my pacing. They've mostly been investigating, but it's only been about a week in-game since they arrived on the planet so a month sounds like a long drat time. If I spread things out over longer periods it wouldn't be as hard a hit.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clanpot Shake posted:

He lost his nose.

He got an Austrian model welded on and started talking like the terminator (this gimmick was dropped in short order).

Maybe it's a problem with my pacing. They've mostly been investigating, but it's only been about a week in-game since they arrived on the planet so a month sounds like a long drat time. If I spread things out over longer periods it wouldn't be as hard a hit.

Yeah. Embrace the passage of time, it really makes a difference. Remember that the rich and powerful (and inquisitorial acolytes who prove useful) live for centuries, so if your cultist investigation takes a year or two, who cares? someone rolls to find a guy, that takes a week or six because there's three billion people in this hive. A slow game can make the action scenes seem really sudden, too, because when something breaks, it all comes together in a day or two and it's the culmination of a year undercover.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Clanpot Shake posted:

He lost his nose.

Maybe he could have the choice to have some sort of risky, experimental procedure that will get him back on his feet and fighting but at some sort of cost. Something like a lovely augmentic that will cause some sort of (temporary) penalty in the future that is pretty severe. Perhaps they need to use some sort of techno-heresy?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
I think there's rules for medicae tanks that speed up healing in the Inquisitor's Handbook. Or just guve him access to the equivalent of the Tech Priest talents that speed up healing (Autosanguine, I think).

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Liesmith posted:

Losing arms and poo poo should be awesome for a techpriest though, they love turning into robots. Critical damage is not something for roboman to be sad about, it's an opportunity to become even closer to a perfect immortal machine
That's a pretty good solution. He took the critical damage to the Arm? Wipe the damage if he replaces that arm, it'll only take a day or two.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, that's a good way to deal with it, especially for mechanicus. You can fudge the availability and resources needed and stuff, if that's an issue.

I think in the long term you need to have a conversation with this player, though, because it seems like they have a real problem with character mortality. I mean I can suck to have spent time developing a character and then have them offed, but depending on how upset they get it's still kind of weird. Also not really someone who should be playing 40k, maybe? They need to work out how to deal with it, you can't just keep pulling punches on them forever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Locomotive breath posted:

Oh (Chaos) gods dammit, Slaanesh is gonna be last again, isn't it? Why does Not-Bacchus always get the short end of the stick.

Why? :smith:

It looks like they're going in descending order of their numbers. Nurgle is 7 so he'll be next, and then Slaanesh. It's not really a bad thing, since it will almost certainly have years of fine-tuned and tweaked improvements to the core rules.

This is tangentially related but WFRP 2E is back in print (on demand) at Drivethru.
Yes, they have the Career Compendium.
So it sucks to be this guy.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm playing my first ever RPG tomorrow, as a DM for a Dark Heresy game. I'm going with Shattered Hope (the demo campaign) for ease. I've brushed up on the rules and i've got campaign notes and cheat-sheets for combat, relevant tests and NPC stats. Is there anything I should, or shouldn't take with me in regards to reference material 'on hand' in shortform?

Since this is the first time any of us are playing, any general tips on not floundering and getting bored would be greatly appreciated.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Southern Heel posted:

I'm playing my first ever RPG tomorrow, as a DM for a Dark Heresy game. I'm going with Shattered Hope (the demo campaign) for ease. I've brushed up on the rules and i've got campaign notes and cheat-sheets for combat, relevant tests and NPC stats. Is there anything I should, or shouldn't take with me in regards to reference material 'on hand' in shortform?

Since this is the first time any of us are playing, any general tips on not floundering and getting bored would be greatly appreciated.

Any time somebody looks bored, have them make a difficult choice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I always make sure I have the enemy summary stuff on hand, especially the ones that apply to generics (like the Creature entries, Imperial Citizen, etc.) Basically so that when my players haul off and attack something/person at random I have a profile to apply. Also useful in less killy situations where you might need to know how easy it is to bluff some random dude.

We never played Shattered Hope, so I'm not familiar with it. In general, if your players break from the script don't be scared to roll with it. This will require making poo poo up, but I find most players are happier with ad-hoc stuff to accommodate their choices than carefully written things you drag them into.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
After much joking, I finally decided to make the Deck of Many Bears into a Tzeentchian artifact for my group of psychopaths radical acolytes.

The problem is, compared to the Deck of Many Things, there are not as many things in it.

So far, I've come up with
Bear Grylls(fail, user and others within 2d5 meters suffer a faint taste of urine)
The Right to Bear Arms(gives the user natural weapon(bear arms) and a strength bonus until end of scene)
Unbearable Pain(user suffers from severe pain for a few rounds, requiring WP tests to not be delirious and hallucinate bears everywhere)
Lost Your Bearings(user and those travelling with him are lost but shake off all pursuers)
Cross to Bear(transmutates a nearby + or X shaped object to a size appropriate bear creature for 1 hour)
Grin and Bear It(User gains T and WP bonus to resist the effects of pain and injury until end of scene)
Load Bearing(User doubles his S and T bonus for the purpose of calculating carrying capacity. This does not apply to the floor under him)
Pandamonium(A Magnitude 30 Horde of Red Pandas appears)
A Grizzly Fate(crit fail, A large bear appears and mauls the user)

If any of you have more bear related puns, I'd love to hear them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

Pandazer Tank Corps
A Kodiak Moment

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Southern Heel posted:

As someone who was in your shoes ~2 months ago, I hope you're good at improvising. We spent hours doing poo poo that wasn't covered at all in that adventure, but was reasonable for the players to do. Have a handle on the important characters, how they'd react to things, and what their personalities are like. Have some no-name people around the cathedral ready, because they will ask to talk to random people.

Also, the tests in the book are harsh, and if the players fail or can't attempt them, they have no idea what the overall plot is. Give them enough information to keep them investigating.

If none of them have read the adventure before, don't let on how much of it you're making up and how much you have scripted. Let them wonder.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Asehujiko posted:

After much joking, I finally decided to make the Deck of Many Bears into a Tzeentchian artifact for my group of psychopaths radical acolytes.

The problem is, compared to the Deck of Many Things, there are not as many things in it.

So far, I've come up with
Bear Grylls(fail, user and others within 2d5 meters suffer a faint taste of urine)
The Right to Bear Arms(gives the user natural weapon(bear arms) and a strength bonus until end of scene)
Unbearable Pain(user suffers from severe pain for a few rounds, requiring WP tests to not be delirious and hallucinate bears everywhere)
Lost Your Bearings(user and those travelling with him are lost but shake off all pursuers)
Cross to Bear(transmutates a nearby + or X shaped object to a size appropriate bear creature for 1 hour)
Grin and Bear It(User gains T and WP bonus to resist the effects of pain and injury until end of scene)
Load Bearing(User doubles his S and T bonus for the purpose of calculating carrying capacity. This does not apply to the floor under him)
Pandamonium(A Magnitude 30 Horde of Red Pandas appears)
A Grizzly Fate(crit fail, A large bear appears and mauls the user)

Right now the fact that we don't play in English makes me the saddest panda.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Why the big paws? -
Grizzly Adams - Character immediately grows a glorious beard.
Bi-polar - Flip a coin. If it's heads, character gains Frenzy and +10 WS. If it's tails, character is stunned for 1d5 rounds.
Bear necessities - lose all gear but what is absolutely necessary to stay alive (eg. void suit) for 1d10 minutes.
Check my Koalafications - Immediately pass your next deceive or charm test, only for it to become a failure shortly thereafter.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is Bearak Obama in Residence bad form in your group? Become possessed by a minor daemon of Tzeentch ;)

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Hate to interrupt the bear puns, but I have what's likely a stupid question. I've been looking to get into 40K lore and one of the five tabletop games for a bit, but I haven't shelled out for any of the books yet.
Weird question - which of the five systems has rules for piloting Sentinels? How are they, power-wise? I've seen a bit of discussion on tanks but nothing on chickenwalkers.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SageNytell posted:

Weird question - which of the five systems has rules for piloting Sentinels? How are they, power-wise? I've seen a bit of discussion on tanks but nothing on chickenwalkers.

Only War should have vehicle piloting rules. As for Sentinels in general, they're fast, agile beasts that can't take a lot of punishment or dish it out. They're great for scouting assignments and light raids, but if you're envisioning large-scale mecha battles, then I'm afraid your hopes might be dashed.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My players have screwed the pooch with regards to their original mission and will likely not be able to carry it out. They're largely responsible for the hive they're in being under brutal martial law and don't really have a realistic prospect of stopping the man they're after (another Inquisitorial acolyte who used his authority to get them arrested as heretics) while simultaneously dealing with dissidents clashing with PDF forces there to keep order.

In short, the political situation in the hive has gone to poo poo, they're all wanted men, and it's unlikely they'll be able to stop their target's plot before it's too late. Two of my players have said they'll just quit while they're behind.

So the situation is escape from a city under martial law. How can I make this interesting?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'd say their best bet (and an option which could have tons of interesting potential) is to have them connect with the organized crime in the city. If they are willing to do some dirty work, the Space-Mafia would probably be willing to expend resources to smuggle them out. Also gives your DH party a good reason to end up socializing with twists and witches, despite their predilection to kill them. Also helps bait the path to Radicalism, which is always a fun temptation.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

They've already made contact with and worked for the city's crime boss. In their last meeting, they used their Inquisitorial authority and some creative lies to get some support in the form of personnel, but the plan went to poo poo when the guy they're after called in the cops, which led to events sparking the mass uprising and martial law.

Given the appearance of incompetence and being indirectly responsible for the city's lockdown (making it much harder to do organized crime stuff), the crime boss wouldn't hold the players in high regard and wouldn't be inclined to help them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am a little confused as to why you need to make this situation 'interesting' because it sounds like it is pretty exciting as it is! Did you mean that you are trying to find a way out of having them all die?

Have them steal a Repressor from the PDF and ram that poo poo all the way into the spaceport, then highjack a merchant ship by holding the Captain's family hostage.

They can flee into the underhive, falling out of the reach of almost any law enforcement. After a season or two in the depths of the underhive, they can fight their way into the leadership of a vicious dreg gang, and use them to springboard their revenge plot.

Have them steal a Vendetta from the local Imperial Guard, and crash it in the Ash Wastes outside the Hive. Now they must survive the harsh outside environment and the fabled Ashwalker Shamans who channel the rage of the destroyed planet against all interlopers.

They can let themselves be arrested, and then use their psychic powers/fellowship skills to reverse their interrogation, bringing a hard-bitten Arbite officer onto their side. Having secretly swung the Arbites into their corner, they can launch a counter-counter-coup that catches the big bad from the least-expected path, just when he thought he had won.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
An influential noble is getting out of town. In fact, a lot of influential nobles are getting out of town, but this one is accessible to them because (because whatever.) If they can get on his plane before he's gone, and do it without alerting the forces of the enemy, he might be coerced into taking them along. Other nobles think he's "weird." Weird like odd behavior, which means potentially weird like chaos cultists.

However, it turns out that when he was younger, he was also weird. Weird enough to be desperate to become a rogue trader, or join the Imperial Navy, or some other ambition his family and peers considered unfit for the heir to a major planetary title. He craves adventure. your players might be able to sell him on getting them out of there if they pitch it that way, and might actually make him into a useful contact, depending on how catastrophic this thing that's gonna go down is.

If they are SUPER CONVINCING, he might even throw caution to the wind and support them against the main bad guy. He's a powerhouse with his own house military and massive political clout, at least for this planet. This guy might give them the edge they need to actually turn this poo poo around.

Of course, they might shoot him out of hand, or at least accuse him of heresy right off the bat, in which case things may turn out very different. And if they DO end up on his side, once they think they've saved the day they might seriously regret not listening to the rumors when they had the chance.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To the chap asking about Sentinels, during the Only War Beta I had a Sentinel pilot in one of my groups. They're basically made of paper; even a particularly heavy anti-personnel weapon can damage them, but they can dodge and move while shooting better than any tank and they handle rough terrain well. Plus, the guy in them has an Autocannon, Multilaser, Lascannon, or Heavy Flamer and those are all good things to have on your chickenrobit.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I'm looking for Ork Killa Kan stats, are they in any book?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I believe there are some in deathwatch. Can't remember which book though.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

The only vehicle rules I can find are in Rites of Battle which doesn't have them. Cheers though, I might just have to make something up based off a SM Dread

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I know there were stats for various Ork baddies in Mark of the Xenos, though I forget if Killa Kans are in there.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah just Meganobz, Warboss and Ork Boyz plus a unique Mekboy thing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Maybe this is kind of a dumb question, but how do Techpriests actually get Mechadendrites? I can't seem to find any information on their cost/rarity/etc. The discussion of them says that they are installed by the Mechanicus directly with considerable pomp/ritual, but not more than that.

Is this something that I should just handle through RP with the player - i.e., some sort of test/ritual or mission he has to perform for the Mechanicus to show his worth, and which point they will give him a mechadendrite? Or is he just supposed to get them when he reaches the appropriate rank and takes the relevent skill, sort of like a natural development of his cybermantle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
manipulator, medicae, and utility mechandrites each cost 500 thrones. an optical mechandrite costs 400, and a mind impulse unit costs 1750. All mechandrites count as good unless their description explicitly says different. Dunno the rarity, but its techpriest exclusive. This is in the Dark Heresy core book.

I'd make your techpriest get them in a couple of ways. he can head to a forge world or decent sized techpriest section of whatever world/station he's on, and just buy one. Or he can build them himself, as a rite of passage. presumably this would draw on armorer and/or forbidden lore: archaotech. Or some such thing. Or, he could get them installed along with promotions as a reward for his good service to the cult of mars.

or he could strip them from the dead. This might not even be offensive: techpriests might will their machine-selves to students or peers when they die, or pass the parts on when they get replaced with new, more arcane parts. Retrieving tech parts from lost mechanicus dudes is probably not a big deal as long they stay "in the family," so to speak. I can't see the techpriests as getting too sentimental about the flesh, and if the machines aren't being cared for and used then it's basically blasphemy.

of course, then you're gonna have a techpriest who constantly is dismembering corpses for their mechanical upgrades. which is in the fluff, but it's villainous and you should make them roll insanity. And if the parts haven't been properly cleansed in a force world by a really serious computer then they might be corrupted or damaged, leading to lower quality or potential daemon infestation.

Liesmith fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 3, 2012