Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It's 1 o'clock in the morning, silly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

The 80s kids scifi flick Explorers was just added yesterday: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/182038

I haven't seen this since I was like 5 years old, but I remember loving it as a kid!

haha, I was just watching it last night. Luckily I fell asleep right before the aliens show up so I missed the terrible ending. It's amazing how that movie goes from classic to utter poo poo half-way through. drat the studio for not letting Dante finish that movie.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

haha, I was just watching it last night. Luckily I fell asleep right before the aliens show up so I missed the terrible ending. It's amazing how that movie goes from classic to utter poo poo half-way through. drat the studio for not letting Dante finish that movie.

I like that Ethan Hawke repeatedly makes a face of disgusted disbelief during the first part of that (long, long, interminable) setpiece. Like "Seriously? This is the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow??"

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Just finished watching the second season of House of Cards and found it to be just as diverting as when I first saw it years ago. A great BBC political thriller with a wonderful antihero, cheerfully played by Ian Richardson (whom you may remember from another excellent BBC production, John Le Carre's Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy, though the latter, unfortunately, isn't available streaming).

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
We've been talking about it in the General Chat thread, but Pootie Tang deserves at least one watch. It's obvious that it had a troubled production, the editing is completely scatter-brained, the narrative doesn't flow as much as occasionally lurch forward, but it has some of the best gags I've ever seen in a film. Louis CK did have a reason to disown it, but I'm glad Pootie Tang got made.

POOTIE TOO GOOD! POOTIE TOO GOOD!

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Could some kind soul let me know how I can find out how to change my UK Netflix acc to a US one, please?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

ruddiger posted:

I somehow have never heard the story to this one. What the hell happened? Because the film does noticeably begin to suck very quickly.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ICA posted:

Could some kind soul let me know how I can find out how to change my UK Netflix acc to a US one, please?

Assuming you moved and have a new billing address, you could possibly call their support number? https://contactus.netflix.com/contactus

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

ICA posted:

If you're talking about having access to the US Netflix while in the UK, you need to use a service like unblock-us.com or VPN for starters.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Thanks but I'll just use my imagination.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.

Glamorama26 posted:

I somehow have never heard the story to this one. What the hell happened? Because the film does noticeably begin to suck very quickly.

The original script had a weak/crappy ending that Dante didn't like, so he figured they could brainstorm something while filming. This was right after Gremlins so he had some Hollywood clout to pull this off.

Then during filming there was a shuffle at the studio (a company merger or new chairman of the board or some poo poo).

The new guys in charge ask Joe "Where's your new movie?"

Joe says "All I have right now is this rough cut."

The studio says "gently caress it, thats good enough!"

And now we have Explorers!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Tintin got quietly added recently. Quite decent and doesn't take itself too seriously.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Is there a full, updated list of everything on the US Neflix (got it working btw)?

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011
Magicians was just added. Written by the guys who write Peep Show, Mitchell and Webb Look, and Four Lions (all of which have been recommended here and all of which I highly recommend). Stars David Mitchell and Robert Webb as rival magicians (sadly, no Bowie-as-Tesla in this one).

It's probably the weakest of anything anyone involved with it has done, but I still enjoyed it and laughed quite a lot. Lots of familiar faces if you're a fan of their other stuff. Basically think of it as an extended Mitchell and Webb Look sketch and that should set your expectations about right.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

ICA posted:

Is there a full, updated list of everything on the US Neflix (got it working btw)?

Instantwatcher.com

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
...There's a Tooth Fairy 2? And it stars Larry The Cable Guy? And it just got added to Netflix?

What is happening?!

Oh yeah, little late to this party, but watched Tarsem Singh's The Fall the other night and my Goodness, that is some visual eye candy. Too bad about everything else he has ever directed.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Thanks for the recommendation on Lake Mungo. It has issue with red herrings with little reasons and some general weirdness. Otherwise above average creepy presentation and only one scene making it a pretty bad choice to watch with family. But man that scene. Oops.
Mighty Peking man is also on the stream now too. If you like the schlock that is Shaw Brothers and thought, I wish they made a 500 dollar King Kong your in luck.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just finished watching The Man From Nowhere and I'm crying a little because it didn't end the way I wanted. It was a fantastic movie though and now I'm wondering if there's more like it.

I've already seen Oldboy before it gets mentioned.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Skeezy posted:

Just finished watching The Man From Nowhere and I'm crying a little because it didn't end the way I wanted. It was a fantastic movie though and now I'm wondering if there's more like it.

If you don't mind something that's more of a downer, The Chaser is very good.

And I always recommend Mother and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance too. I liked Sympathy more than Oldboy.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If you don't mind something that's more of a downer, The Chaser is very good.

And I always recommend Mother and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance too. I liked Sympathy more than Oldboy.

I'll definitely check those out. I also saw Drop the other day and I love movies like that also, anything else to kinda fill that sorta genre I guess?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Chaser is Dark with a capitol D. Schedule playtime with kittens after it.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
"Note By Note" is a pretty interesting documentary. It follows the creation of a Steinway concert piano from beginning to end. The process takes an entire year.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Skeezy posted:

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is outstanding.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Skeezy posted:

More generally, any as intense? Halfway through it starts ramping up and does not stop.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Just watched a whole bunch of Wilfred. Its pretty funny so far.

"BE A MAN AND poo poo IN THAT BOOT!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I binged through all the Highlander films over the last two days so today I started the series. Then I got depressed as gently caress when I realized this show started 20 years ago.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Best line from Season 1, if not all of television history.

Phantom Spaceman
Aug 25, 2007

your circuit's dead,
there's something wrong

C2C - 2.0 posted:

quote:

"If you dumped a tidy piece like that over the saintly act of knuckle busting your anus hole, I'd say that makes you the freak!"
Best line from Season 1, if not all of television history.

Fixed!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

"Raffe wasn't new! It was a RETURN!"

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I had a serious bout of insomnia about two weeks ago and marathoned the entire first season in one night. loving loved it.

Is there more, are we getting it eventually? Talk about blue balls.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

red19fire posted:

Is Payback the Director's Cut or Theatrical? They are completely different (I've seen both). The Director's Cut is much closer to the bleak 70's style the original director wanted. There's a documentary floating around that shows how much of a clusterfuck that movie became, I wonder if they'd put that on netflix as well.

Do you have any other info on this documentary? I can't find any information on it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Leper Residue posted:

I had a serious bout of insomnia about two weeks ago and marathoned the entire first season in one night. loving loved it.

Is there more, are we getting it eventually? Talk about blue balls.

New season premieres tomorrow night on FX. As for Netflix, naturally it will take a bit longer.

e: Noooope

Manky fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 12, 2012

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

origami posted:

Do you have any other info on this documentary? I can't find any information on it.

There's a short one about it on the Payback director's cut dvd called "Same Story, Different Movie - Creating Payback: The Director's Cut" - I'm not sure if this is the one red19fire is talking about, but it does go into some detail on specific scenes and what was intended vs. what was gotten.

e: here, judge for yourself! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV5t7HIXsis

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Manky posted:

New season premieres tomorrow night on FX. As for Netflix, naturally it will take a bit longer.

Huh? The second to last episode of this season is tomorrow night.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
The Grey is streaming. Really great movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

foodfight posted:

The Grey is streaming. Really great movie.

Please oh please oh please watch this movie. Do not go in expecting Liam Neeson punching wolves. Do not go in expecting an action movie. Go in expecting the most realistic depiction of death I've seen in recent movie history, and the feeling of utmost dread.

Please watch The Grey, you won't regret it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

traveling midget posted:

Huh? The second to last episode of this season is tomorrow night.

Haha really? Okay apparently I can't tell the difference between premiere and finale. :downs:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

GonSmithe posted:

Please oh please oh please watch this movie. Do not go in expecting Liam Neeson punching wolves. Do not go in expecting an action movie. Go in expecting the most realistic depiction of death I've seen in recent movie history, and the feeling of utmost dread.

Please watch The Grey, you won't regret it.

I'm happy I stumbled into this thread just when this got posted. The Grey is one of the best movies I've seen in years. I honestly don't remember the last time I was so emotionally affected by a movie. The feeling of utter bleakness is almost palpable throughout the film. You won't regret seeing it.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Rhyno posted:

I binged through all the Highlander films over the last two days so today I started the series. Then I got depressed as gently caress when I realized this show started 20 years ago.

Hated the movies--well, first was okay--but the series is way, WAY better than a syndicated show had any right to be. Once you get past the first half of season 1, it really fulfilled the promise of the premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010
Felt like posting my little quip in here for the day (as I have neglected to comment on some quality Netflix entertainment for awhile now). FINALLY started to watch Breaking Bad (I was one of those..) and HOLY crap is it the most fantastical thing I have ever watched. Just the opening of the first season from the pilot into the first two episodes has you already develop and understanding for/appreciation of the main characters up on the screen.

Edit: Took my absence from my little quips in here because of beginning the new semester. After a less than lack-luster performance on my previous one...felt like getting my poo poo together.

Thank you, Netflix thread.

• Locked thread