Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

the entire point of all the various agile methodologies is to fix ameliorate the problem of bad requirements gathering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i use an agile

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
hey we're going to demo some features you haven't implemented yet tomorrow, can u have them done and stable thanks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
ameliorate

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

my boss is smart enough to not ask for stupid things like that

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

CamH posted:

my boss is smart enough to not ask for stupid things like that

must be nice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this thing where you fill out your own quarterly review or whatever is just the laziest thing

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
ugh, quarterly?

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Sweeper posted:

must be nice

i like my job

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah if your boss routinely asks for stupid/impossible poo poo, consider getting a job writing software for a company that understands how software is built.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
legacy update: just had to jump through hoops to get .net 1.1 sdk installed and building old poo poo in a version of visual studio made in the last decade.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

python is good to start with since you will make stuff in less time and lots of people start with python

code:
print "hello world"
java is a terrible language because there's lots of boilerplate and poo poo that the computer should be able to figure out on its own

code:
public class java {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Hello World");
    }
}

There was something in the thread earlier about how learning python requires you to learn another language as well if that matters? Anyway I am just trying to get my feet wet as much as possible before formal classes so I've been doing the codeacademy thing + reading books. So I suppose whatever you guys feel is best geared for that kind of learning.

rotor posted:

cnc machines are cool as hell and i'ma buy a lil desktop one for myself for my birthday and then never do anything with it

There are shop clubs around silicon valley that let you rent time. Might be a better way to spend that money?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

LegendofDongslayer. posted:

There was something in the thread earlier about how learning python requires you to learn another language as well if that matters?

idk what the hell this is about. learn python tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that would involve leaving the house, and as a prolific yosposter i

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

tef posted:

We like to say that documentation is easy and developers are lazy, but I have found scant good documentation, so I have come to the conclusion that good documentation is hard, by virtue of it's rarity
Just wanted to do a quick seriouspost in reply to this: Documentation is only ever hard because of moving targets. If such a thing as a major software component that is finished did exist, in that nobody was ever going to have to touch it to change or update it ever again, writing comprehensive and useful documentation for it would be a simple matter. Unfortunately in reality, by the time you've written even a single paragraph describing whatever functionality it's already going to be completely out of date because even the most basic assumptions about how whatever it is you're trying to document works have been changed in some major refactoring that was necessary so that new feature X could be added to the whole thing.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
aples documentation si cool

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

tef posted:

i find it more you read my posts with a view to dissect them for faults, over letting me away with my more general, vague point made through fanciful word choice and handwaving.

I do that, yes, I think there's some deep-seated underlying flaw there that's quite hard to grab a hold of. Believing that coding is the same thing as typing source code might be it.

tef posted:

again, you're making the point that you seem to be missing from my posts. the challenge and difficulty from software come from people, not from algorithms, nor data structures.

software starts and ends with people, it only exists for people to use, so tell me again how much of the coding effort is spent on solving trivial problems and how much of it is figuring out what those trivial problems are in the first place?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

the number one cause of software project failure is bad requirements gathering.

poo poo's got nothing to do with languages. the problem is that people dont loving know what they want until they see it.

And sometimes that doesn't matter because the program lives in a feedback loop with its users. How the users interact with the software and use it will push for new requirements that they wouldn't even have had without the software. By its mere existence, software impacts the world of its users in a way that naturally and inevitably prompts for changes.

The best you can do with a good spec is say that it is good for now, unless you're working with more static rule sets, such as playing chess or implementing specific theorems.

rotor posted:

no, agile recognizes that all targets are in fact moving regardless of what some spec sheet may tell you and tries to enable you to hit the moving targets.

All kinds of iterative developments have the potential to be good because of that. You have to take an approach that recognizes how easy requirements change if you want to be able to have anything make sense.

A vast majority of a project's time is spent after its first delivery.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

software starts and ends with people, it only exists for people to use, so tell me again how much of the coding effort is spent on solving trivial problems and how much of it is figuring out what those trivial problems are in the first place?

It's false to assume that solving a trivial problem is all that needs to be done with that problem.

Your list right now has:

• Figuring out the trivial problem
  • Solving the trivial problem

Here's a quick list of what could be added:

• Testing whether the solution to the trivial problem is good or not (including base cases, edge conditions, and so on)
  • Making sure your solution respects criteria (speed, usability, etc.)
  • Documenting it in general, at a higher level or in code
  • Planning ahead for maintenance operations, which usually take way more time than solving the problem the first time around
  • Making sure your solution fits the code base
  • etc.

Yes, people are the users using your app, but people are also the developers coming in after you and cleaning things up. It doesn't matter if you have a billion users but you can never fix errors or bugs (which will happen) or update whatever requirements because things are a mess.

There's an important economic argument that can be made that partially wrong software that you can make better is more useful and viable than perfect software that you cannot modify (for everyone in non life-threatening situations). If you think resolving this tension between requirements is in any way simple, I don't know what to say to you.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

I do that, yes, I think there's some deep-seated underlying flaw there that's quite hard to grab a hold of. Believing that coding is the same thing as typing source code might be it.

hi, here is an answer to the question I have in my head rather than what you've just said.

quote:

oh look i'm doing it again.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

rotor posted:

the entire point of all the various agile methodologies is to fix ameliorate the problem of bad requirements gathering.

Requirements gathering is impossible because the customer is always right.

And has probably been sold a solution to the halting problem.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

Requirements gathering is impossible because the customer is always right.

And has probably been sold a solution to the halting problem.

instead of trying to hit a moving target maybe we could become the target itself and bounce about to get the customer to hit us :catdrugs:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

instead of trying to hit a moving target maybe we could become the target itself and bounce about to get the customer to hit us :catdrugs:

So you've written integration software then?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

So you've written integration software then?

worse, completely new software

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

and the customer is more like a potential customer

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
you'll get equity

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
it looks like we're going to port our code on $projects[0] to FreeRTOS :toot:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
good god no

at least give eCos a look

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
can you give me a quick rundown of why eCos is preferable? i don't have prior experience with either and i'm not the driver of this change although i have some modicum of input

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
maybe it's just x86/my env, but freertos was a pain in the rear end to build and i had to write a lot of asm to make it play nice with my other tools

eCos build isn't perfect, but it's a lot smoother than freertos. also has the nice GUI config manager to set it all up, like you've got checkboxes for FPU support, the different schedulers, etc. compiles to a library that you link to when you build your content and anything that you don't use gets trimmed then. also has a POSIX layer so it's easy to write for.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

JawnV6 posted:

maybe it's just x86/my env, but freertos was a pain in the rear end to build and i had to write a lot of asm to make it play nice with my other tools

eCos build isn't perfect, but it's a lot smoother than freertos. also has the nice GUI config manager to set it all up, like you've got checkboxes for FPU support, the different schedulers, etc. compiles to a library that you link to when you build your content and anything that you don't use gets trimmed then. also has a POSIX layer so it's easy to write for.

it's probably x86. I've used freeRTOS on a few ARM projects and I never had to do poo poo to get it to play nice.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
yeah it built without issue and the footprint is smaller. it's unfortunate that the closest thing to an academic comparison of the two in the wild is a pair of papers written by swedish undergraduates(?) with a poor grasp of english that don't give any data at all for anything (or any indication of having tested anything or even thought about it deeply)

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
so what's the yospos verdict on RTAI linux?
because that's what we use at work

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Otto Skorzeny posted:

it looks like we're going to port our code on $projects[0] to FreeRTOS :toot:

we are thinking of porting our product to raspberry pi so we can afford to smash cluster members with a hammer during demos

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

we are thinking of porting our product to raspberry pi so we can afford to smash cluster members with a hammer during demos

ive been trying to convince the company that the impression it makes is worth the cost of spiking the laptop after a presentation.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

ive been trying to convince the company that the impression it makes is worth the cost of spiking the laptop after a presentation.

pretty much, its like smashing a guitar after a show*, it shows that either you're profitable as gently caress and don't give a poo poo, or you're broke and really don't give a poo poo, either way it'll be a fun time at the afterparty

*please don't smash guitars its bad karma

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ill smash a fuckin guitar if i drat well want to gently caress you

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If you work hard at being clear in your naming, you’ll also rarely need to write comments for the code. Comments are generally only needed when you failed to be clear enough in naming. Treat them as a code smell.

comments are great for introducing new developers to a code base, and can make turning private objects into public apis easier.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

rotor posted:

ill smash a fuckin guitar if i drat well want to gently caress you

why would you want to gently caress jonny 290 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hes just so dreamy is all