Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Loving Life Partner posted:

There should be...some danger of loss

I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah well you weren't tempered in poo poo like I was with Everquest. :colbert:

Crafting used to be more lucrative than "here are the mats, and a small tip" because getting to a high level was so difficult and you could reap the rewards.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I know it's been gone even before the relaunch but I don't think I could ever play FF XIV because they actually at one point thought this was a good idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

^^ The main guy who pushed for stuff like that at the creative-level has been ousted, and replaced with someone actually competent. Who exactly is left for people to rage at over lovely things from launch that aren't around anymore?

You guys are also forgetting the obvious, in that 14 continues the 11 tradition of being Final Fantasy as gently caress. From moogles to chocobos, from white mages to dragoons, the game is full of many of the series' staples, and the general aesthetic was one of the biggest draws for me.

Too bad it took until a few months ago to actual come into its own as a decent game. :v: The new 2.0 relaunch looks very promising, though.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 12, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I absolutely hated crafting in 11 because every component was super rare. Oh, you want to Jewelcraft? Well I hope you like grinding ultra-rare copper ore off of poo poo monsters. They really just needed to have host-side NPC vendors who sold the crappiest, most common components for every ten levels of crafting without that stupid fuckin' 100x AH markup. Nobody would buy that poo poo because everybody can make it, but it wouldn't make crafting into this thing that only the most insanely dedicated players could even hope to bring past Lv5. The good stuff could still be rare drops, obviously, but that game had some horrible crafting design decisions that included, but weren't limited to, "you also need crystals, but there's really no indication WHICH element crystal you need," "you'll probably get ten crystals in an hour, and probably not all of the element you want" and "crafting consumes the mats and the crystal even if you fail and you get considerably less crafting EXP if you do."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So glad I never played that game (lol at you anna). If XIV is going to be similar but with a UI update and basically prettier, then I hope that they fix all the dumb poo poo from the original and take some clues from popular current-day MMOs (i.e. none of this Everquest poo poo).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

So glad I never played that game (lol at you anna). If XIV is going to be similar but with a UI update and basically prettier, then I hope that they fix all the dumb poo poo from the original and take some clues from popular current-day MMOs (i.e. none of this Everquest poo poo).

XIV has already removed a huge chunk of the everquest-esque hold over stuff and what remains of it will be getting a gutting/overhaul in 2.0. The new guy is really really good at explaining where and why there changing things and publishes a thoughtful weekly letter to the playerbase filled with charts and graphs to back up their decisions.

I don't think it'll ever be an amazing game though; they hosed up and had to spend millions just to make it ok instead of taking an OK game and making it amazing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Barudak posted:

XIV has already removed a huge chunk of the everquest-esque hold over stuff and what remains of it will be getting a gutting/overhaul in 2.0. The new guy is really really good at explaining where and why there changing things and publishes a thoughtful weekly letter to the playerbase filled with charts and graphs to back up their decisions.

I don't think it'll ever be an amazing game though; they hosed up and had to spend millions just to make it ok instead of taking an OK game and making it amazing.

Well, if they've got a good guy in charge, then I guess it'll be fine :unsmith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Well, if they've got a good guy in charge, then I guess it'll be fine :unsmith:

The guy in charge is who "saved" FFXI and turned it around into a fun game. After FFXIV was garbage they brought him off of FFXI and put the guy whose messes he kept fixing back on FFXI. As if by magic FFXI started to turn to poo poo again and FFXIV started to get way better. Thankfully the guy who made two bad MMOs is now gone from the company and I would in no way mind if the guy who currently runs FFXIV gets a crack at a single player FF game.

Its a feel good story where the good guy wins. And then lets you become a summoner.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

The White Dragon posted:

I absolutely hated crafting in 11 because every component was super rare. Oh, you want to Jewelcraft? Well I hope you like grinding ultra-rare copper ore off of poo poo monsters. They really just needed to have host-side NPC vendors who sold the crappiest, most common components for every ten levels of crafting without that stupid fuckin' 100x AH markup. Nobody would buy that poo poo because everybody can make it, but it wouldn't make crafting into this thing that only the most insanely dedicated players could even hope to bring past Lv5. The good stuff could still be rare drops, obviously, but that game had some horrible crafting design decisions that included, but weren't limited to, "you also need crystals, but there's really no indication WHICH element crystal you need," "you'll probably get ten crystals in an hour, and probably not all of the element you want" and "crafting consumes the mats and the crystal even if you fail and you get considerably less crafting EXP if you do."

Let me guess, you quit in 2005 after four months because you couldn't find parties in the jungles. :allears:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shaezerus posted:

Let me guess, you quit in 2005 after four months because you couldn't find parties in the jungles. :allears:

You'd almost think sitting in one spot and pulling single mobs for hours wasn't fun or something.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Defiance Industries posted:

You'd almost think sitting in one spot and pulling single mobs for hours wasn't fun or something.

Not necessarily that. Just that since Abyssea showed up, the dynamic of the game has pretty much been turned on its head so most of the problems the "Quit 1 year after NA release because X" complaints come from have been fixed in one way or another.

It's basically like talking about two different games now, since mid-2010.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is there still 10000 DPS classes and like two viable tanks and healers? And do you still have to wait around asking for groups before you can go out and grind mobs to level because there's no actual questing content? Cause that's what was really wrong with the game.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Is there still 10000 DPS classes and like two viable tanks and healers?

The enmity system has been broken since... I want to say the L90 cap increase, probably even earlier, so "tank" in current, relevant endgame means "ride Fanatic's Drink and hope for the best." Steps are being taken to fix this so Paladin (and presumably Rune Fencer) becomes viable again in its intended role but I doubt it'll be ready before Seekers of Adoulin is released.

And do you still have to wait around asking for groups before you can go out and grind mobs to level because there's no actual questing content? Cause that's what was really wrong with the game.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "no actual questing content" because there are a metric fuckload of quests from drat near every NPC in the game and they all cough up something on completion (quality thereof may be an issue, but irrelevant at the moment). Is all questing content invalid to you because it doesn't reward XP, or something? Because you can get to 99 in like a month now via Fell Cleave burns (or more accurately, joining one and taking a nap for three hours at a time) and Grounds of Valor, maybe two weeks with some moderate dedication.

Or, hell, just read this because a lot of it will cover things better than I will.

vv ed: Yeah I'm not going to defend that decision because I find it obtuse and awful as well. Whether things will lighten up when Seekers is released, we'll see, but the wiki has basically become an assumed resource by now.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 12, 2012

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shaezerus posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "no actual questing content" because there are a metric fuckload of quests from drat near every NPC in the game and they all cough up something on completion (quality thereof may be an issue, but irrelevant at the moment).

I tried hopping back in a month ago. It was completely non-obvious that there were any quests available or who to get them from. If I need to load up a website to find the content of your game, you have done it horribly wrong.

Slow-walking around San'Doria for an hour trying to find someone to talk to isn't content. It's poo poo. And it's one of the reasons the game was bad in general.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So tanks are broken now and the game is still about forced grouping just to level, then? And this is after it was "fixed?"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Not really. Tanks suck for 90+ content, but that's just the recent additions to the game. And you can feasibly solo now, it's slower than the groups, but any class can do it. They added a lot of new systems that work the same solo or in a group, from exp to gear creation, and the game encourages teaming up to accomplish goals. It's a vast improvement and I enjoyed it greatly before I quit.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

So tanks are broken now and the game is still about forced grouping just to level, then?

"Broken" is admittedly a stacked word choice, even though it's the closest term to use; it's not like Paladin and Ninja simply no longer work, more that enmity caps out extremely quickly across the board due to increased damage-dealing potential at L99. Thus, actively holding a monster's attention is a complete crapshoot as it will just spin around trying to attack the last DD who hit it. For the minute or so before that happens tanks perform pretty admirably, though. :v: This is only a major problem with current endgame, however, as 75-era content can be blown past on just about any job.

As for "forced grouping," see Pyroxene Stigma's post above.

And this is after it was "fixed?"

I said "most problems," not "all problems." Matsui seems competent enough to figure poo poo out and is actually taking player feedback into account (as opposed to Tanaka who violently ignored everything but his own horrible visions of game balance) but he only just got back in. What he's mentioned is promising.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wouldn't that be fixed by raising the enmity caps?

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

The guy in charge is who "saved" FFXI and turned it around into a fun game. After FFXIV was garbage they brought him off of FFXI and put the guy whose messes he kept fixing back on FFXI. As if by magic FFXI started to turn to poo poo again and FFXIV started to get way better. Thankfully the guy who made two bad MMOs is now gone from the company and I would in no way mind if the guy who currently runs FFXIV gets a crack at a single player FF game.

Its a feel good story where the good guy wins. And then lets you become a summoner.

This has got me pretty excited for XIV. Even if it's just salvaged to a "pretty good" MMO, I think with the FF atmosphere and classes attached I could really get in to this.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

I tried hopping back in a month ago. It was completely non-obvious that there were any quests available or who to get them from. If I need to load up a website to find the content of your game, you have done it horribly wrong.

Slow-walking around San'Doria for an hour trying to find someone to talk to isn't content. It's poo poo. And it's one of the reasons the game was bad in general.

Yeah I did the same thing and while I don't totally hate the game and the goons playing it seemed pretty friendly, the "oh everything bad is magically fixed" stuff is a load of BS. You still have to do a million key quests and unlocks and poo poo on new accounts (you could spend a couple weeks just unlocking jobs), you still have to grind skills, there's still a massive amount of slow running between point A and point B, and there's still no sane or reliable way to make money or gear yourself logically as you level from what I could tell. The XP grind is a lot faster, but there's a whole lot of poo poo you have to do to get your footing and have fun with the game besides level up, and a lot of it is boring and time-consuming.

There's no massively multiplayer game I've ever wanted to like more because of its inherent charm and the FF trappings (including a pretty elegant compromise between job systems and EQ/WoW style classes), but it's just too much of a pain in the rear end to actually play.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shaezerus posted:

Funny thing, I dropped it in like May of 2010 and tried it again last year but just couldn't get into it. Probably because even though I was only level 25, 30 or so when I gave up the first time, I had to start new because reportedly some pro ice muthafuckas whined that I was chasing them around dressed in Subligars doing /dance and they didn't like it because I was low-level.

I mean, it's true, and I was, but who gets pissy over that?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 13, 2012

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

The White Dragon posted:

Probably because even though I was only level 25, 30 or so when I gave up the first time, I had to start new because reportedly some pro ice muthafuckas whined that I was chasing them around dressed in Subligars doing /dance and they didn't like it because I was low-level?

Okay, that's pretty good.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Subligar dancing with a pumpkin head is the only way to live. I've been in a number of endgame shells, but the most fun I've had was pissing off those anal players with way too many fireworks and dance emotes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Playing FF6 right now, drat you Kefka. :argh:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Just finished Eiko's introduction bits. There's really not a whole lot to say aside from FF9 is a fantastically great game.

That little moment where Eiko just blurts out in her kitchen "Please let this work, I'm so tired of being alone." was just heart wrenching.

There's so much skillful pathos applied to all of the characters, and the translation is just stellar.

After FFTactics they started having the english translation team on board during development right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just finished Eiko's introduction bits. There's really not a whole lot to say aside from FF9 is a fantastically great game.

That little moment where Eiko just blurts out in her kitchen "Please let this work, I'm so tired of being alone." was just heart wrenching.

There's so much skillful pathos applied to all of the characters, and the translation is just stellar.

After FFTactics they started having the english translation team on board during development right?

It was a little after FFT but they gradually got better teams, yeah. FF9's translation sounded a lot more natural than FF8's which helped a lot.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Hey buddy I'm in the same place you are (or an hour past but whatever) :hfive:

IX seems like the easiest game in the series to me, I haven't had a single tough fight yet and I haven't gone out of my way to grind at all. The first time I played it, I power leveled Zidane when he was solo somewhere in disc 3 or 4, when I found out that exp is divided by the teammates, essentially giving him 4xExp. I think this time I might just go regular.

Are there any challenge runs for this besides level 1 or Basic Equipment? I like my Final Fantasy to have bizzare poo poo like the FFV Four Job Fiesta or when I tried to beat FF1 with all White Mages (I couldn't)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, the only time the game was remotely difficult was when you didn't have a white mage in the party for the Burmecia/Cleyra sections.

Right now, bosses are just on life support until I steal the item I want and then it's just Bio/Zidane attack/Ramuh them to death time.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Since my PSP died (:qq:) and thus my After Years Solo plan died out. I decided to play FFXII International (My last attempt having the problem of my save vanishing somehow).

I'm impressed by how, if I pay attention to what chests give out I pretty much never have to buy weapon upgrades playing through the story (I'm up to the Sandsea)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Hey buddy I'm in the same place you are (or an hour past but whatever) :hfive:

IX seems like the easiest game in the series to me, I haven't had a single tough fight yet and I haven't gone out of my way to grind at all. The first time I played it, I power leveled Zidane when he was solo somewhere in disc 3 or 4, when I found out that exp is divided by the teammates, essentially giving him 4xExp. I think this time I might just go regular.

Are there any challenge runs for this besides level 1 or Basic Equipment? I like my Final Fantasy to have bizzare poo poo like the FFV Four Job Fiesta or when I tried to beat FF1 with all White Mages (I couldn't)
There's the Excalibur II run, you basically have to get to the final dungeon in under 12 hours in order to get Steiner's best sword. I don't really know why people bother, but they do, and they spend enough time doing it to write detailed guides on doing it :stare:

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
It's not too hard to do, at least on the original Playstation where you could open the lid to skip FMVs. I dunno if that's possible on the PS3.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Paperhouse posted:

There's the Excalibur II run, you basically have to get to the final dungeon in under 12 hours in order to get Steiner's best sword. I don't really know why people bother, but they do, and they spend enough time doing it to write detailed guides on doing it :stare:
How does it compare with, say, the Clive/Elza side-quest in Suikoden II? I didn't find that one too bad doing it on my second playthrough.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

CloseFriend posted:

How does it compare with, say, the Clive/Elza side-quest in Suikoden II? I didn't find that one too bad doing it on my second playthrough.
I would say it's harder, I think Suikoden II is a shorter game than FF9 even if you play it at your own pace and get all the Stars of Destiny. I never did the Clive side quest but I think it's because I didn't know about it - I've always known about the Excalibur one and always thought it was needlessly extreme because I'd be at 30 hours or more when you get there on a normal play through

(disclaimer: I could be very wrong since I've never done either of them. someone come and tell me I'm wrong)

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 13, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Something like that, yeah. FFIX, to me, is one of those basically perfect translations, barring a few small errors here and there. Haven't played an RPG with nearly the same natural flow as that one.

As far as Excaliber II vs. Clive/Elza quest... I'd say the E2 quest is harder. Suikoden II has the Matilda Glitch which makes that sidequest much easier.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Paperhouse posted:

I would say it's harder, I think Suikoden II is a shorter game than FF9 even if you play it at your own pace and get all the Stars of Destiny. I never did the Clive side quest but I think it's because I didn't know about it - I've always known about the Excalibur one and always thought it was needlessly extreme because I'd be at 30 hours or more when you get there on a normal play through

(disclaimer: I could be very wrong since I've never done either of them. someone come and tell me I'm wrong)

Clive quest is pretty trivial if you've beaten the game before and don't bother getting 108 Stars, but it's also possible to go for 108 and still finish it if you know exactly what and how to do everything (and use the aforementioned glitch).

Excalibur 2 is more difficult, especially if you want to try and 100% the game otherwise. I'm not even sure if it's possible, I'll certainly never bother to try.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Clive quest is pretty trivial if you've beaten the game before and don't bother getting 108 Stars, but it's also possible to go for 108 and still finish it if you know exactly what and how to do everything (and use the aforementioned glitch).

Excalibur 2 is more difficult, especially if you want to try and 100% the game otherwise. I'm not even sure if it's possible, I'll certainly never bother to try.

Some insane person at gamefaqs has written an Excalibur II Perfect Game FAQ, it's either possible or very nearly possible apparently :negative:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Given the existence of an "Excalibur II Perfect Game" guide on GameFAQs which covers precisely that (what you need to do to not only get Excalibur II, but 100% everything - well, everything that can't be blown off until post-E2 anyway - along the way within the time limit), I'm pretty sure it's possible.

(e:f;b)

I've actually been mildly inclined to give it a shot, but I'm a lot shorter on free time and patience for things like that than I was ten years ago. Also, speed-running FF9 for E2 means not getting to read all the charming-as-gently caress dialogue.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Leviathan does not gently caress around in Dimensions. This is why HP+20% is a good ability to have on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Did they ever put out statistics or a fun little infographic for this year's FF5 Fiesta, something like this one from last year? I participated for the first time this year and am interested in how it all turned out!