Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Any rumours of a 5th gen Touch? I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by my 3rd gen slowness at times. And I don't even have retina screen.

Be nice if it was larger screen like the rumoured iPhone 5.

Macrumors posted a few rumors about one with the taller screen like the new iPhone. I'm on the fence about whether the rumors are enough to tempt me to sell my six month old 4th gen iPod Touch in anticipation of the new model in September or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Any rumours of a 5th gen Touch? I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by my 3rd gen slowness at times. And I don't even have retina screen.

Be nice if it was larger screen like the rumoured iPhone 5.

Yep. Not many, but they exist. The consensus seems to be an iPhone 5-sized screen and a faster processor; presumably it'll get more RAM and a better rear camera too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nihiliste posted:

Yep. Not many, but they exist. The consensus seems to be an iPhone 5-sized screen and a faster processor; presumably it'll get more RAM and a better rear camera too.
They had better add more RAM. My 4th gen iPod Touch is so drat sluggish and crashy that it's barely usable compared to an iPad 2/3.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

They had better add more RAM. My 4th gen iPod Touch is so drat sluggish and crashy that it's barely usable compared to an iPad 2/3.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean - I'm in the same scenario. Got a fourth-gen Touch and an iPad 3, here.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Nihiliste posted:

Oh yeah, I know what you mean - I'm in the same scenario. Got a fourth-gen Touch and an iPad 3, here.

I'm actually pretty happy with my 4th gen iPod Touch, posting from it now. Only thing that has me even considering upgrading is the possible changing screen dimensions on the iPhone/5th gen iPod Touch. Right now I'm leaning towards waiting another year for more apps to take advantage of the extra screen real estate.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

BGrifter posted:

I'm actually pretty happy with my 4th gen iPod Touch, posting from it now. Only thing that has me even considering upgrading is the possible changing screen dimensions on the iPhone/5th gen iPod Touch. Right now I'm leaning towards waiting another year for more apps to take advantage of the extra screen real estate.

Well hey, no sense rushing into new tech when it's an iPod. As long as it can play music and run a few other other apps you like, why not wait?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Nihiliste posted:

Well hey, no sense rushing into new tech when it's an iPod. As long as it can play music and run a few other other apps you like, why not wait?

I don't really use mine for music as much as a wifi only iPhone, but yeah, waiting seems like a good idea.

...at least til the keynote gets me all "oh god I must own it".

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

BGrifter posted:

I don't really use mine for music as much as a wifi only iPhone, but yeah, waiting seems like a good idea.

...at least til the keynote gets me all "oh god I must own it".

Ah, that's a bit different. But I'm still going to go with the "wait" strategy.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Google hasn't been too helpful, but a few weeks back my ipod 4G (which I've had for a little less than 1.5 years) fell off of my counter top without its protecting case and the screen is pretty cracked. Here's a low quality picture. Yes, I am an idiot but it still works fine. Touchscreen, camera, and all other functions are completely unharmed.

Is there anyway apple will replace the screen? I'm not really able to spend a lot of money on a new ipod or anything and I tend to use it frequently. I'm also heading up to visit my parents this weekend and they live by an Apple store. If I bring it to a store can they replace it there?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dodecalypse posted:

Google hasn't been too helpful, but a few weeks back my ipod 4G (which I've had for a little less than 1.5 years) fell off of my counter top without its protecting case and the screen is pretty cracked. Here's a low quality picture. Yes, I am an idiot but it still works fine. Touchscreen, camera, and all other functions are completely unharmed.

Is there anyway apple will replace the screen? I'm not really able to spend a lot of money on a new ipod or anything and I tend to use it frequently. I'm also heading up to visit my parents this weekend and they live by an Apple store. If I bring it to a store can they replace it there?
They might swap it for a new refurb for a fee. I don't know about iPods, but with an iPhone it's $150 (for a 4) or $200 (for a 4s) to swap out for accidental damage. it definitely can't hurt to ask, and in my experience (pre AppleCare+) the genius folks are fairly likely to take pity on you and swap it for free. Just be nice and honest.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Dodecalypse posted:

You can take it into the genius bar and give it a shot, but given that it's out of warranty and abuse anyway, they may just offer a full price repair and/or discount replacement. Anything more is at their discretion.

I managed to crack the glass on my touch4g a few weeks ago, too (less severely than that); likewise, fully functional. Since I've got over a year left on my squaretrade coverage, though, I'm just going to live with the cosmetic damage for a while.

Quick note, in case you're looking at repair guides -- on the 4th gen, the lcd, digitizer, and glass are all glued together as a single unit, so don't go for any cheap glass-only kits.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Alright, thanks guys. I'll definitely stop by the apple store this weekend then to see what they'll do.

If it's too pricey, it isn't a huge deal since it still is functional and the damage is mostly aesthetic. Thanks for the help and suggestions :)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Don't see a thread for the non-touch Classics anywhere...

Mine has for the second time now reassigned all the album cover art files randomly. Anyone else run into this or know the cause?

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Entropic posted:

Don't see a thread for the non-touch Classics anywhere...

Mine has for the second time now reassigned all the album cover art files randomly. Anyone else run into this or know the cause?

Maybe it's just doing the Music Quiz under "really loving hard" difficulty?

The only thing I could think of that would cause something like that would be if somehow iTunes stripped or corrupted some of the ID3 tags while syncing, then reassigned them incorrectly while trying to "fix" them. Did it happen after you tried to eject the iPod or had some kind of power loss or something?

I just upgraded to a Touch partly because my Classic decided it would be hilarious to make two or three albums play at twice the speed an octave up. Then it decided it wanted to reorganize every single song into its own album, then change the album names to a few non-alphanumeric characters followed by a random letter. Why yes, I would love to hear Karen O and the Chipmunks perform "Zero" from their hit album $._[V.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I honestly wonder what Apple is going to do with the Classic. It feels like a relic in many ways now, but at the same time, we still haven't seen an iPad with an equivalent amount of storage, never mind a Touch.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nihiliste posted:

I honestly wonder what Apple is going to do with the Classic. It feels like a relic in many ways now, but at the same time, we still haven't seen an iPad with an equivalent amount of storage, never mind a Touch.

I got one because at the time they hadn't put out a Touch with >32GB of storage yet, and I like being able to sync my entire collection. Even at that time, when I went to Future Shop looking for accessories, all the cases and such were for the Touch, no one was selling stuff for the Classic.

I've got an iPhone 4S now, and the only things keeping me from using it exclusively and ditching the Classic are storage capacity and battery life.

I honestly thought that by now we'd have one device that did everything well. #firstworldproblems

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 10, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yes it can, but only the 720p versions.

All iOS devices have dedicated chips for H.264 decoding, performance isn't a problem.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
How do I get the CD covers to show up for my music? All of it's from Amazon, is that a problem? Oh, and is there a thread for Ipod wallpapers?

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
If it's from amazon and you bought it recently using the mp3 downloader thing that auto imports it into itunes it should work fine as is.

If not, you can just find the album you want, highlight all the tracks and go to get info. This will bring up a screen with a bunch of editable fields including artist and track number and stuff. Towards the right there will be a square box for album art.

Google image search the album, pick the one you like, and drag and drop it into that square (you don't even have to save it anywhere or anything). Hit ok or apply or whatever the "yes" box is at the bottom and it will update them.

There might be an automatic search too but I've only had to do a few so that was easy enough for me.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
My stupid iPod touch, which is less than a year old, is all hosed up. I had to reinstall Windows on my desktop so I needed to re-sync my iPod to the new install of iTunes. The sync kept "timing out" so I clicked Restore. It didn't work. I tried it repeatedly, and I always get the same error message.

I Google'd it and nothing suggested fixes the problem. Anyone else know what I can do to get the thing working again?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Do you want to know all about the iPhone 5, iOS 6, OS X 10.8.2, and all of the other cool poo poo Apple talks about as it happens?! Of course you do! Click the gigantic image or right here to head over to the event thread thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Welp, I'm a bit disappointed that the storage didn't get bumped to 128gb and that we're getting the A5 processor instead of the A6, but other than that, I'm definitely upgrading my frustatingly-crashy/slow 4th gen iPod Touch to the new model.

Everyone on the Internet seems to think the iPod Touch doesn't have any market, but I'm not interested in an expensive 2-year phone contract, so I want an iOS device to go with my cheap-rear end android pay-as-you-go phone. I don't mind paying $399 for the highest model, since it works out to be cheaper than the couple thousand you're paying for the iPhone over two years.

Here's hoping the RAM is at least 1gb in these things or else I'll be pissed.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

JazzFlight posted:

Welp, I'm a bit disappointed that the storage didn't get bumped to 128gb and that we're getting the A5 processor instead of the A6, but other than that, I'm definitely upgrading my frustatingly-crashy/slow 4th gen iPod Touch to the new model.

Everyone on the Internet seems to think the iPod Touch doesn't have any market, but I'm not interested in an expensive 2-year phone contract, so I want an iOS device to go with my cheap-rear end android pay-as-you-go phone. I don't mind paying $399 for the highest model, since it works out to be cheaper than the couple thousand you're paying for the iPhone over two years.

Here's hoping the RAM is at least 1gb in these things or else I'll be pissed.

I'm pretty pleased with the update. Increased battery life, the new display, a processor bump even if it's not the A6 and a better camera is pretty nice. The lack of change on the low end is even better as it should help prop up the resale value of my 32gb 4th gen. If I can get $150+ back on it the upgrade works out pretty cheap.

Oh yeah, it's thinner and lighter than the enormous boat anchor that is the iPhone. :smug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If they bump the RAM, it's probably only going to be 512 MB, because that's how much there is in the iPhone 4S. It's basically an iPhone 4S without the phone (A5 chip), with an iPhone 5 display and the iPhone 4's camera, and 5 GHz 802.11n, that's a buy for me.

Also, didn't you guys notice that the Touch 5th gen includes Siri? I'll never use it, but I think that's fantastic.. if I had the choice between paying $249 and no Siri and $299 with Siri, I'd do the latter in a second.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 12, 2012

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm still not sold on Siri (talking to my electronics feels kinda weird) but it's certainly a nice bonus. I'm looking forward to digging into the iOS6 upgrade almost as much as the new hardware.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is the current-latest iPod touch going to get Siri? If I know anything about how apple works, probably not. I mainly want it to be able to tell my dang iPod what to remind me of rather than deal with a crappy onscreen keyboard. Hey iPod, remind me to clean the bird cage tomorrow at 9 am. And so forth. I've been waiting a good decade to be able to order around something that orders me around.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Siri is fantastic if only for the reminder, calendar, and alarm control.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Is the current-latest iPod touch going to get Siri? If I know anything about how apple works, probably not. I mainly want it to be able to tell my dang iPod what to remind me of rather than deal with a crappy onscreen keyboard. Hey iPod, remind me to clean the bird cage tomorrow at 9 am. And so forth. I've been waiting a good decade to be able to order around something that orders me around.

Yup, it's getting Siri.

As much as I like my iPhone 4, I rarely use it as a phone. I almost never make calls. People call me, but more often text, and I don't use mobile data much since the places I spend most of my time around all have wifi.

Might just get this new iPod touch and a cheap Android shitphone instead of an iPhone 5. It's just going to be much cheaper over time. Normally I'd hate carrying 2 devices instead of 1, but the iPod is so thin and light I doubt I'd care.

Great update this year, especially after the lackluster "update" last year.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

hypersleep posted:

Yup, it's getting Siri.

As much as I like my iPhone 4, I rarely use it as a phone. I almost never make calls. People call me, but more often text, and I don't use mobile data much since the places I spend most of my time around all have wifi.

Might just get this new iPod touch and a cheap Android shitphone instead of an iPhone 5. It's just going to be much cheaper over time. Normally I'd hate carrying 2 devices instead of 1, but the iPod is so thin and light I doubt I'd care.

Great update this year, especially after the lackluster "update" last year.
That's pretty neat. I use a Samsung dumb phone and a touch as my tablet. I'm considering moving to a prepaid because all my communication is on this little thing, and data plans are lovely and expensive. Siri is icing on the cake, and like I said, it'll be mostly to schedule reminders. I used to have a Palm Pilot, but entering reminders was such a chore. It's about time it became easy.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

hypersleep posted:

Yup, it's getting Siri.
No, no, no. The iPod Touch 4th Generation is not getting Siri, sorry to disappoint you doctorfrog.

The only non-iPhone devices getting Siri with iOS 6.0 are the 3rd Generation iPad and the 5th Generation iPod Touch.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

No, no, no. The iPod Touch 4th Generation is not getting Siri, sorry to disappoint you doctorfrog.

The only non-iPhone devices getting Siri with iOS 6.0 are the 3rd Generation iPad and the 5th Generation iPod Touch.

Yeah sorry about that, his "current-latest" wording led me to believe he meant latest as in the latest iPod.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Not real disappointed because I only half-believed it anyway. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'll definitely pick one up. My old one from 2010 feels slow as balls now in some apps.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
My 2010 model is holding up surprisingly well. Really, I'm more interested in getting an iPhone 5 at this point, and letting the iPod sit in my alarm clock.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alright, I put in an order for a silver one and a blue one. I figure I'll cancel one of the orders over the next week once I finally come to a decision between the colors.

What's everyone's favorite choice for color? (I don't think anyone's going to be going for that gross green/yellow/gold shade)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

JazzFlight posted:

Alright, I put in an order for a silver one and a blue one. I figure I'll cancel one of the orders over the next week once I finally come to a decision between the colors.

What's everyone's favorite choice for color? (I don't think anyone's going to be going for that gross green/yellow/gold shade)

If the blue came with a black face plate option I'd probably have gone with that. I'll likely just get the black one though.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Definitely getting black. The grey looks good too but I don't like the white fronts. The colors all look rather feminine, IMO, even the blue. The red one isn't bad but I imagine girls buying it so it matches their handbag or whatever. I'm not sure what Tim was smoking when he OKed the yellow one. Would've rather seen green offered.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think I could pull off that green pretty well. Just got this Touch 4 months ago, though, so I'll be waiting some time for a new one. At least the Nano is back to looking like something worth having in a pocket.

e: ha ha holy smokes the Touch 5 starts at $300.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I think I could pull off that green pretty well. Just got this Touch 4 months ago, though, so I'll be waiting some time for a new one. At least the Nano is back to looking like something worth having in a pocket.

e: ha ha holy smokes the Touch 5 starts at $300.

It is a little crazy, but at least that gets you 32GB.

• Locked thread