Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Planetary Annihilation has announced their final stretch goals, a full orchestral score at $2m and a documentary about the production of the game at $2.1m. They're at $1,650,000 with 67 hours left to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

AxeManiac posted:

These things always bug me, they are making money by pointing to other people's ideas, but then again the designs are new and interesting and take some skill and talent to make, but I still just feel weird they are making money off it.

Yah, but seriously, it's not like the internet is not absolutely flooded with video game related shirt companies. I'm surprised they are making anything honestly. I will admit that some of the designs look great and barely look like video game shirts unless you are already familiar with the game.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

obliriovrons posted:

Planetary Annihilation has announced their final stretch goals, a full orchestral score at $2m and a documentary about the production of the game at $2.1m. They're at $1,650,000 with 67 hours left to go.

Do people who play RTS games get excited enough about the music to pull this another ~$400k?

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

chiefnewo posted:

Do people who play RTS games get excited enough about the music to pull this another ~$400k?

There is another stretch goal at $1.8 million which is a more involved multi-player or skirmish single-player mode. Also, the soundtrack to Total Annihilation was amazing, one of the best ever (unfortunately, PA will have a different composer.)

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

They might if it they guaranteed Jeremy Soule but for now it's just the orchestra with no mention of a composer. I'm still worried that PA won't reach 1.8m for the Galactic War, 2m seems pretty far away for less than 3 days. Maybe the paypal donations will give it enough steam though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

The soundtrack for Total Annihilation was amazing and is easily my favorite work by Jeremy Soule. If they could guarantee that he'd be the composer I would be increasing my pledge again right now.

They aren't, though, so...ehn. Maybe.

I AM THE LAW
Jul 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd throw in some money if the documentary had them explain why they made SMNC.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

With all of these companies resurrecting old franchises, maybe Studio Alex will get together and start a campaign for a proper Lunar 3 :allears:. I'd buy the top tier of that, whatever it might be. A man can dream.

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!

Agrias120 posted:

With all of these companies resurrecting old franchises, maybe Studio Alex will get together and start a campaign for a proper Lunar 3 :allears:. I'd buy the top tier of that, whatever it might be. A man can dream.

I would jump on this as well, such fond memories of the Lunar games.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shalinor posted:

Now seems like as a good a time as any to figure this out, then: are you someone with absurd income, for whom $1k is a drop in the bucket? Or do you make a pretty average income, and were just driven to contribute $1k because of how much you dig the studio?

EDIT: Cool beans. Was just always curious who the higher-dollar Kickstarter rewards attracted. There's tons of info out there for F2P purchasing habits and the like, but not much on KS yet.

The avatar is from Monkey Island. Curse of Monkey Island, specifically - it's Elaine, who spends most of the game turned into a statue.

I just got that game you butt :negative:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Thewittyname posted:

There is another stretch goal at $1.8 million which is a more involved multi-player or skirmish single-player mode. Also, the soundtrack to Total Annihilation was amazing, one of the best ever (unfortunately, PA will have a different composer.)

This is the stretch goal I really want, but the things they are promising sounds almost too good to be true, one can hope though, right?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shalinor posted:

I'd kind of been assuming it worked like Freemium, with the same "whale" concept. People with tons of disposable money happily paying more just because they can, etc - but this sounds like quite a different thing.

Tippis posted:

I got the feeling that a lot of the “over-pledging” came from people who simply wanted to send the message that, no, these games and markets are not dead; we are willing to pay for them and screw you market for denying us access to them because you're all trying to be WoW or COD these days.

I wouldn't be surprised that the higher-level pledgers implicitly tried to deliver that particular message. In other words, it not just because they can, but because doing so actually means something and this gives them a new voice to say what they've been trying to say for quite some time.
I had never really thought about either of these perspectives, but they both make perfect sense to me. Some part of why I went berserk when Wasteland 2 was announced was "YES! HERE IS OUR CHANCE TO SCREAM IN THE FACE OF EVERYONE WHO REFUSED TO PUBLISH THIS PROJECT!" though certainly a lot of it was also "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Certainly it is not just people with lots of disposable income who overpledge, though, as I can demonstrate :c00l: I basically said "hmm, how much am I probably going to spend this year on things I do not really care about THAT much that I can instead send in its entirety to InXile right now?" Because I know for the rest of my life I will feel like a larger donation to make a sequel to a game so important to my childhood will resonate better with me for the rest of my life than would buying some random music, some games I buy for lack of anything better to do, some insulin, life-giving water, et cetera.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Francois Kofko posted:

I just got that game you butt :negative:

It's not much of a spoiler if it's on the game's cover art.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

He was making a bad joke that is popular on Slashdot or Reddit or whatever. Goes like "Aeris dies" "gently caress you, I just started playing FF7".

On Planetary Anhilation, I was amused to receive a spam email from Uber a few days ago, promising that if I pledged $90 they would give me a decorative comet and spinning planet in SMNC. Adorable. It's like they are saying, hey, we totally gave up on this game but since you are still playing it why not fund our next game? You'll totally be the envy of the other ten players that haven't left yet!

On the other hand, Knock-knock only got $41k. That is depressing.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
Thinking about pledging for PA, but I need to know when the alpha starts, because if I'm throwing down money early for a game I'm not waiting 10 months to play it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Expeditions: Conquistador only has a few hours to go. It's already funded, so any extra cash will go into making it better, plus you get the beta "right after" the campaign ends if you pledge $30 or more.

I was pretty skeptical initially, but a slew of long videos convinced me to pledge.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Tippis posted:

With the games that kicked off the current craze — WL2, Doublefine Adventure, possibly SR:R — and maybe even more so with the ones that followed in their wake, with the resurrection of a crapton of old IPs and half-forgotten genres, I got the feeling that a lot of the “over-pledging” came from people who simply wanted to send the message that, no, these games and markets are not dead; we are willing to pay for them and screw you market for denying us access to them because you're all trying to be WoW or COD these days.

All of those record-breaking campaigns at the beginning of the year quite specifically spoke to this sentiment, both among developers and among the customers. The pledgers that went for the lower levels might have just picked it up because, hey, neat game for (often) lower-than-usual costs, but I wouldn't be surprised that the higher-level pledgers implicitly tried to deliver that particular message. In other words, it not just because they can, but because doing so actually means something and this gives them a new voice to say what they've been trying to say for quite some time.
I can share this sentiment. I don't have a lot of income and don't really care about rewards or stretch goals, so most of the time I just pledge the minimum to support cool projects that seem to be having a hard time.

But some Kickstarters really resonated with me, and I ended up giving $100+ to Double Fine and Carmageddon just to really get the message across there's a lot of potential to be had there. Planetary Annihilation might be my next one.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

He was making a bad joke that is popular on Slashdot or Reddit or whatever. Goes like "Aeris dies" "gently caress you, I just started playing FF7".

On Planetary Anhilation, I was amused to receive a spam email from Uber a few days ago, promising that if I pledged $90 they would give me a decorative comet and spinning planet in SMNC. Adorable. It's like they are saying, hey, we totally gave up on this game but since you are still playing it why not fund our next game? You'll totally be the envy of the other ten players that haven't left yet!

On the other hand, Knock-knock only got $41k. That is depressing.

Well to be fair, Ice-Pick aren't actually that well known, and even the people who do know who they are know that their games can be a bit difficult to approach even when they do like them. So I'm not surprised it didn't raise that much.

On the other hand, they weren't asking for that much either - the kickstarter funding was just a supplement to the funding they'd already raised for the game. So they still beat their goal by about 10k which isn't bad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SupSuper posted:

I can share this sentiment (...) some Kickstarters really resonated with me

I can understand when someone kicks $1k on a project they really want to succeed because they have been following that group's work for years et al. And the related reward is probably kickass, too.

I find it baffling, though, when all five spots on the limited reward tier of Expeditions sold out. Valued at $5k, an all day tour on the offices of Logic Arts plus dinner. This isn't inXile or Double Fine, but a relatively unknown company in Denmark, so while I imagine those guys are probably cool to spend a day with, I cannot really imagine them having a strong following that would have people willingly throwing $5k just to spend a day with them.

It did happen, though, so what do I know?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So they still beat their goal by about 10k which isn't bad.

I'm pleased about that; certainly better than barely scrapping the goal. It's just sad that those guys who always bring something new to the table didn't catch more attention. If they were playing the nostalgia angle à la the most successful Kickstarters, they would have gotten far more pledges. That is the disheartening bit.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 12, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Broken Sword 5 is halfway to greenlighting Beneath a Steel Sky 2! Kicktraq has it trending towards < $750k, so hopefully this means that they will get a big last day bump to at least get the $800k stretch.

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!

Saoshyant posted:

I find it baffling, though, when all five spots on the limited reward tier of Expeditions sold out. Valued at $5k, an all day tour on the offices of Logic Arts plus dinner. This isn't inXile or Double Fine, but a relatively unknown company in Denmark, so while I imagine those guys are probably cool to spend a day with, I cannot really imagine them having a strong following that would have people willingly throwing $5k just to spend a day with them.

I always figured those slots were being taken by the actual investors, or members of the studio, perhaps even in some kind of conspiracy style social engineering manipulation deal.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sevorast posted:

I always figured those slots were being taken by the actual investors, or members of the studio, perhaps even in some kind of conspiracy style social engineering manipulation deal.

I think Notch just buys them all.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sevorast posted:

Maybe it's a money laundering scheme.

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!

Squibbles posted:

I think Notch just buys them all.

Al! posted:

Maybe it's a money laundering scheme.

Both of these are possible as far as I'm concerned.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kickstarter doesn't work as any money laundering scheme I'm aware of.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

In somewhat premature news, Obsidian has created a profile on Kickstarter. They've currently got a countdown to an announcement running on their website, I wonder if it's related?

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

chiefnewo posted:

In somewhat premature news, Obsidian has created a profile on Kickstarter. They've currently got a countdown to an announcement running on their website, I wonder if it's related?

I hope it's a Kickstarter to hire some more QA and people to fix what's found.
I love their games but the bugs, ohhhhh the bugs.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Juc66 posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't very buggy.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Has Arakion been posted yet? Dungeon crawling game kinda like Legend of Grimrock, with a really weird setting and aesthetics. The guy behind it seems nice, as well.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Juc66 posted:

Games where they have an incredibly tight development cycle or get hosed by their publisher were buggy. The ones that weren't, like Dungeon Siege 3, were not.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Juc66 posted:

Most of the time all the "bugs" they're notorious for are publishers forcing them to rush the game out the door knowing full well it's not finished. That's why most of the bugs end up getting patched out about a month down the line - because that's when the game SHOULD have been released but as a developer they don't have the power to actually decide that. The problem is even after the bugs are patched out, the games still end up with a reputation as being "buggy", because all the reviews were written based on the release version, and you only get one chance to make a first impression (this seems to be something a lot of publishers are totally unaware of - it's not just Obsidian that has games with bad reputations because of poorly timed releases). The fact that they tend to work on sequels to major franchises like NWN 2 or KOTOR 2 just makes the problem worse, because big money franchises means publishers are going to be breathing down your neck even more than they normally would.

New Vegas ran very well despite being built on an engine that's notorious for its bugginess. It's probably the most stable thing that's ever been made with Gamebryo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The "Obsidian games are unplayably buggy" meme needs to die as it's mostly untrue and more importantly is an unbelievably tired argument. I don't even care if the perception persists, I just wish it didn't come up in every Games thread every other week.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So does Obsidian play by different rules than literally every other development studio ever? Because this counterargument is always brought up, and only brought up, whenever someone points out the obvious fact that Obsidian makes buggy, badly QA'd games.

If, for instance, Bioware made a game half as buggy, on a good day, that Alpha Protocol is, we'd be calling for public executions. But because it's Obsidian people immediately contort themselves attempting to defend them at all costs, when in reality there's a problem that Obsidian has with QA/writing nonbuggy code, just like Bethesda.

I mean I'm playing New Vegas right now, on Steam (great loving game), and I'm still getting crashes regularly. So...yeah, complaining about Obsidian's proclivities to make buggy as poo poo games is totally loving valid.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
No kidding. New Vegas was just on this side of unplayable at launch with constant crashes, physics glitches, mechanics bugs, and quest glitches by the truckload. I went through my last playthrough with all patches installed and still got half a dozen hard crashes during the final mission and one charming bug in the NCR ending route that forced me to roll back four hours of gameplay. The meme is around because it's true. The meme will never die because Obsidian are incompetent game designers no matter how great they might be at concepts. The sole, singular example to the contrary that's dragged out every time is Dungeon Siege and that was a turgid slog whose one defining quality is apparently that it was a non-buggy Obsidian game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I had way more problems with Fallout 3 then i ever had with any of the Obsidian games. No inquisitions calling for Bethesda blood though. Mass Effect also had a lot of graphical glitches, some persistent through all 3 games. Obsidian is nothing in comparison to Troika anyway, now those guys made some buggy rear end games.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Bethesda did the QA for New Vegas, bucko.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Davincie posted:

I had way more problems with Fallout 3 then i ever had with any of the Obsidian games. No inquisitions calling for Bethesda blood though.

Firstly 1) That's totally not loving true people badmouth Bethesda all the loving time. I just did in my previous post. 2) The main point is it's a given that a Bethesda game is gonna be buggy as poo poo at launch until whenever some mod fixes all the bugs a month or two from launch, and even then it's still gonna be buggy as poo poo.

The point is- nobody goes out and says in the Skyrim thread "No really guys, cut Bethesda some slack, it's really the PUBLISHERS fault the programmers have flippers for hands." That is the point. Obsidian gets special treatment from everyone because of...reasons. People whine about other people rightfully pointing out how buggy as poo poo at launch the vast, vast majority of Obsidian games are. This is what always happens and it's really, really annoying that you're not allowed to criticize them at all without someone immediately jumping up to shift the blame elsewhere/point out all these OTHER developers who do it like that somehow makes it okay for Obsidian to.

I AM THE LAW
Jul 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oxxidation posted:

No kidding. New Vegas was just on this side of unplayable at launch with constant crashes, physics glitches, mechanics bugs, and quest glitches by the truckload.

The only "big" bug I encountered in something like 100 hours of New Vegas was the early one where your autosave would get stuck way behind where you were (and I played right when it was released). The other poo poo was just Gamebryo stuff like a corpse coming back together when I loaded a save and exploding again.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Kickstarter thread guys, let's stay on target. That particular argument is a meme unto itself, and we've had it a thousand times already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Here is the thing, QA is the publishers job. It is literally a thing the publisher is expected to do rather than the developer. That's not to say developers just straight up ignore bugs or don't think about them when writing code, that would be stupid, but the publisher also handles a lot of other things related to release that would have an impact, like rushing a game out the door. Now, Bethesda publish their own games, so of course they can be blamed for releasing a buggy game. And sometimes the issue is the engine, which means it's on the developers if the engine is first party or chosen by them. And obviously a developer can turn in an unusually broken game and give the publishers more work than it's worth, which can be the fault of either side.
With Obsidian though, it's pretty much always been a case of publishers rushing them, and in some cases publishers seemingly just not doing half-decent QA or forcing lovely constraints on them.

e. ^^ sorry, posted this before I saw your post. So, back to the likely Obsidian kickstarter, I remember a lot of people being disappointed when a Planescape Torment kickstarter was ruled out. Thing is, isn't a new Obsidian IP more exciting than a sequel to a game that didn't especially need a sequel?

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 13, 2012