Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My 65y.o. Mother really, really wants a juke. I am doing my best to get her to like an impreza of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Nope, the GTR is a lot less. You'd get a Juke-R if you had serious problems with taste and poor spending.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Froderick posted:

Does that hideous Juke-R cost considerably less?

:lol: no it costs considerably more. It's an extremely limited production run (25 units I think?) that each cost €450,000.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:wtc: You've got to be making GBS threads me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Froderick posted:

Remind me why* I wouldn't just get a GTR? Does that hideous Juke-R cost considerably less?

*Besides the fact that I couldn't dream of affording it

Simply put, any sane person would look objectively at the GTR and the Juke-R especially with the insane price of the Juke-R and wonder why the gently caress you would think of the Juke.

But looked at from a Automotive Insaity view, the Juke is completely off the dial that makes it awesome. They took a lovely softroader, threw in a GTR driveline - and not only that, they made it work so well that it can be compared to a Porsche without laughter. It's a drunken fevered dream made real and that probably makes it worth the money for the 25 who will buy em.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

:wtc: You've got to be making GBS threads me.

basically some Nissan engineers made this skunkworks Juke for a lark, people thought it was cool, Nissan said it never happened and never will happen, then some Arab zillionaire told Nissan he wanted 2 and he'd pay whatever they wanted, so Nissan said "umm... 2... million?" and he reached in his spare change purse and gave it to them, and then Nissan figured what the hell, we might as well make a few more because there's bound to be more than one rich idiot out there.

At least that's how I understand the chain of events.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
I wish more manufacturers would make completely bonkers poo poo like that Juke. It reminds me of that W12 Golf that VW made a few years ago.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Nathan Explosion posted:

I wish more manufacturers would make completely bonkers poo poo like that Juke. It reminds me of that W12 Golf that VW made a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpOKY9xrVbU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The Juke-R is a joke and the worst way to spend $600,000.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Devyl posted:

The Juke-R is a joke and the worst way to spend $600,000.

You might be singing a different tune if, like the people who are going to buy them, you had a spare $600,000 kicking around and a thirst for an interesting motoring experience.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, for the handful of rich Arab princes that will buy them, $600,000 is jokin' around money.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If I had $600,000 to piss away on a unique motoring experience, I'd buy something like this. Then I'd go buy a Juke & a GT-R. Then I'd blow the Juke up with some explosives and spend the rest of the money on the GT-R. You'd be surprised what almost $300,000 can do to a GT-R.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
If you're gonna drop six hundred large on a Juke-R, you don't have to worry about money and what cars you could buy with that money instead. You just buy them all.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not even kidding when I say even if I had a hundred million dollars, I wouldn't buy that.

Nope, I'd have exactly the same set of rusty jalopies, I'd just have everything I need to fix and fully build/upgrade them on order for overnight delivery and the cement pad for a 3 bay garage curing in the yard :haw:

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mine did too, until I told her how small it is on the inside (I think it's actually got a smaller interior than our Mazda3 hatch). At a glance it appeals to the I-want-a-crossover crowd but it is really, really small for a crossover.

I believe the Juke is based on the Versa frame (B?) and I have driven a Juke and I own a 2011 Versa, and I would say the Versa is downright cavernous inside compared to it.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

kastein posted:

Nope, I'd have exactly the same set of rusty jalopies, I'd just have everything I need to fix and fully build/upgrade them on order for overnight delivery and the cement pad for a 3 bay garage curing in the yard :haw:
You like your Jeeps. We get it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Rocket Salad posted:

If you're gonna drop six hundred large on a Juke-R, you don't have to worry about money and what cars you could buy with that money instead. You just buy them all.

Yep, exactly. It's a ridiculously expensive batshit insane small crossover for people with ginormous cash slabs that also happens to be by all reports an exceptionally good and unique vehicle. Reduce the price to something halfway sane and every single person here would be all over that poo poo like a hooker for crack.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

Im pretty sure we've already talked about that thing in one of these threads and after someone shopped away one of the two sets of headlights it actually looked alright.

I remember that. It started from this photoshop:

... but I don't have the one with the lights removed. Here's the original.

I still hate it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kastein posted:

I dunno, somehow I like it, though the roofline needs to be higher at the back and those headlights look incredibly dumb.

I was in traffic behind a Range Rover Evoque a few weeks ago and before I recognised it, I honestly thought the owner had either put two tonnes of lead in the back of had jacked up the front by half a metre.

Their roofline at the back is beyond ridiculous. It honestly looks like it about to fall over backwards when you see it from behind. I've tried to find a decent picture to illustrate my point, but all of Rover's images of the car from the rear have been taken from around knee height.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I found it easier to accept the "face" of the Juke if you treat the top lights as angry eyebrows and the round lights as its eyes.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

DropShadow posted:

I remember that. It started from this photoshop:

... but I don't have the one with the lights removed. Here's the original.

I still hate it.

Yeah it still didn't look great but much better than that four eyed monstrosity. No idea what the designers were thinking

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

peepsalot posted:

There's an ECO(still not sure if that stands for for "eco-friendly" or "economy") but it's basically the inverse of the boost gauge. Mash the pedal and it goes to 0 chunks, coast and it goes to 4 chunks. loving stupid. Dammit I hate that car.

Best guess is that it's a manifold vacuum gauge; they used to be somewhat popular as 'economy gauges' around the same time people were deliberately injecting air after the carburettor for a leaner burn.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was in traffic behind a Range Rover Evoque .....
Their roofline at the back is beyond ridiculous.

There's nearly no visibility out of the back. Fortunately, they put cameras that come up on the center screen all over the thing.

I kinda like them. They look mean/sporty but admittedly a bit ridiculous. I wouldn't buy one, but they are at least full of all sorts of interesting ideas/design details.

I think these illustrate your point pretty well:

"Belt line? We'll show you a freaking belt line!"

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Who cares about blind spots. No one looks when changing lanes anyway. Some fuckstick cut me off yesterday on the way to work without even checking my lane. But it's my fault for driving a gray car I guess.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

This poo poo has got to stop. Bring back cars with proper greenhouses.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

KozmoNaut posted:

This poo poo has got to stop. Bring back cars with proper greenhouses.

It won't. You can't hide side-impact air bags and good crush-resistance in glass, unfortunately.

The only thing I liked about my old beater Integra was that I could see everything around me; came at a cost though, even with the a/c blowing 40F you couldn't cool the thing down in South Texas summers.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Nice, pretty sure I saw that thing rolling around here in Tampa during the RNC.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Motronic posted:

There's nearly no visibility out of the back. Fortunately, they put cameras that come up on the center screen all over the thing.

I kinda like them. They look mean/sporty but admittedly a bit ridiculous. I wouldn't buy one, but they are at least full of all sorts of interesting ideas/design details.

The 3-door Evoque looks ridiculous, but I think the 5-door models look quite cool.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EightBit posted:

It won't. You can't hide side-impact air bags and good crush-resistance in glass, unfortunately.

I know :(

But I want to roll down the windows and rest my arm on the windowsill without dislocating my shoulder. I want to be able to actually see stuff around me without having to rely on cameras and sensors. Perhaps I'm in the minority?

My current car has a proper greenhouse, but it's 12 years old.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Comments?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

SaNChEzZ posted:

Comments?

Why are angelica's boobs so big? She's like four.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Not thug enough. Chucky needs a diamond grill, tommy should be wearing a tupac beanie etc...

I guess they forgot Lil and Phil?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
We are only seeing one side of the car...

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Motronic posted:

Maybe the designer was inspired by the Lamborghini Countach?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Falkenbok posted:

Best guess is that it's a manifold vacuum gauge; they used to be somewhat popular as 'economy gauges' around the same time people were deliberately injecting air after the carburettor for a leaner burn.
It's not a physical gauge, just something that displays on a little screen. It's more likely calculated based on the actual fuel consumption, based on rpm and injector pulse width, etc. The thing that makes it idiotic is the fact that it only has four discrete gauge positions and no units. Same with boost gauge and accelerometer, oh and a torque gauge also IIRC.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

peepsalot posted:

It's not a physical gauge, just something that displays on a little screen. It's more likely calculated based on the actual fuel consumption, based on rpm and injector pulse width, etc. The thing that makes it idiotic is the fact that it only has four discrete gauge positions and no units. Same with boost gauge and accelerometer, oh and a torque gauge also IIRC.

The same reason that amps don't usually operate in any specified units:
http://xkcd.com/670/

Most people couldn't give two shits about the units, just :downs:BIGGER NUMBARS:downs:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

It's even worse when it gets dirty, because the rear windscreen is only about a foot tall, the rear wiper is only about 10 inches long, so it can only clean a very small portion of the rear window, as this high tech rendering demonstrates.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

veedubfreak posted:

Who cares about blind spots. No one looks when changing lanes anyway. Some fuckstick cut me off yesterday on the way to work without even checking my lane. But it's my fault for driving a gray car I guess.

Every time this happens to me I wish I drove a beater do that they could hit may car and I wouldn't car about it, but it would still be their fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Motronic posted:

I was driving a new Camaro the other day. It was just plain silly. I'm sitting as high as I do in my MINI but my head was in the roof liner and I still couldn't see out the loving thing. It's like the auto companies think that glass costs more than steel. That or people love not to see where they are going. Or where they have been for that matter. All I could see was the roofs of the cars behind me. Thank goodness for the backup camera or I would have hit two curbs and a pole.